Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I miss this game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I have brainrot so naturally I'm all in on Diablo 4, I actually really loved the beta what can I say?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No other arpg has ever done for me what this did. This was a disgusting mess of chaotic noise that made almost literally no sense and was flat broken half the time. But it was fun and prioritized fun. It showered you with so much XP and loot any given item meant nothing and was quickly mulched and I loved it.

This was the standard loot treadmill on Jane stop this crazy thing fast and with all the haphazard development that comes with that and it was possibly one of my top five favorite games of all time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mover posted:

Good evening fellow kings and queens. Da crew is coming back together to play D4. ICR will be playing and he did install the game. Praise the sun.

Diablo Immortal 4. You can fight spooky skeletons, ghosts, ghoulies, gobs and hobs, large bats, frankensteins, zombies, wet zombies, burning zombies, frightening tree (non-animate), and most importantly, you don’t have to do it with the people in the official thread.

Come hang out with the Marble Hebrons on the discord to find games. Honestly it’s going to be annoyingly busy to start off and we’re already seeing a bunch of old names popping back up for the launch, it owns. Gain 20lbs eating KFC for cosmetics. Left click until you get the Good Chemicals. Feel that poo poo squirt across your forebrain, together 🤝

https://discord.gg/mpegs

mpegs doesn’t stand for Marvelicious Pro Elite Gaming Society, ICR was trying to write “mpreg” but he can’t spell

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No other arpg has ever done for me what this did. This was a disgusting mess of chaotic noise that made almost literally no sense and was flat broken half the time. But it was fun and prioritized fun. It showered you with so much XP and loot any given item meant nothing and was quickly mulched and I loved it.

This was the standard loot treadmill on Jane stop this crazy thing fast and with all the haphazard development that comes with that and it was possibly one of my top five favorite games of all time.

I've said it before, but taking MOBA-style character design, i.e. a large playable cast with each with a unique kit, was an inspired choice for an ARPG. It goes a lot way toward fixing one of the genre's biggest problems, repetition fatigue from playing the same content countless times. When each of several dozen characters plays differently, you don't mind so much doing the same run over and over.

I remain perplexed why no one else has tried it since.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 31, 2023

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The tone was also goofy as hell and fun. They took the dipshit stuff of comics and rolled with it hard. Shark legendary.

(andsharklegendarymeltdown)

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Equally frustrating is the fact that every halfway decent ARPG is fantasy based and a near carbon copy of Diablo. Good old Titan Quest made an effort to set itself apart in setting at least, even if the building blocks were largely the same. Science fiction, urban fantasy and superheroes can all work. Unfortunately the big companies are risk averse as always, so Diablo it is. Smaller companies try, but we all know how that goes.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The tone was also goofy as hell and fun. They took the dipshit stuff of comics and rolled with it hard. Shark legendary.

(andsharklegendarymeltdown)

A thousand times yes. Now let's get ready for the next grim dark sword and sorcery adventure. This one has three Satans in it!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Most companies are too worried about balance and poo poo. Marvel Heroes gave no fucks about balance. As it should be. It was a mostly single player game anyways, might as well let stupid poo poo fly.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Invalid Validation posted:

Most companies are too worried about balance and poo poo. Marvel Heroes gave no fucks about balance. As it should be. It was a mostly single player game anyways, might as well let stupid poo poo fly.

Except that was what killed it in the end... they changed everything around for the sake of BALANCE!!! which drove everyone away.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Gynovore posted:

Except that was what killed it in the end... they changed everything around for the sake of BALANCE!!! which drove everyone away.

oh, huh, I must be misremembering what killed it then

anyway yes to Diablo 4

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gynovore posted:

I thought they did all that to try and improve the gameplay experience on a Gamepad. Like, the travel power nerf cause gamepads can't whip to the edge of a screen the way mice can, so they'd never be able to do the zipping through whole stages thing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Good Citizen posted:

oh, huh, I must be misremembering what killed it then

Dropping the ball twice on MCU movie tie-ins was also a contributing factor.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can't wait for the Diablo x Marvel cross promotion events.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 31, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Consol ports killed Marvel Heroes. gently caress console ports. gently caress consoles.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Lovingly caress the OUYA.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
What killed the game was Disney having no real interest in maintaining the licenses that had been farmed out before they got involved. Basically all the other stuff was mostly their desperate attempts to go "no look at this money we can make you, please let us keep it."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Honestly what killed the game was us.

Every single one of us should have made, minimum, 4 smurf accounts and purchased all hero advance packs. But we didn't. And now look at us.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

I've said it before, but taking MOBA-style character design, i.e. a large playable cast with each with a unique kit, was an inspired choice for an ARPG. It goes a lot way toward fixing one of the genre's biggest problems, repetition fatigue from playing the same content countless times. When each of several dozen characters plays differently, you don't mind so much doing the same run over and over.

I also really enjoyed getting new playable content as a drop by playing content (new hero tokens).

Warframe is now my go to for large playable cast each with a unique kit.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Mover posted:

ICR will be playing and he did install the game.

this never stops being funny.

with that said,

quote:

Praise the sun.

also i miss comicing today and just turning the brain off and dropping them elbows as juggy

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Sounds like you were on a roll.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

And not like his step-brother, Chuck

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me, don't you know who the gently caress I am?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Juggernaut movement and overall gameplay feel was unrivaled

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No other arpg ever realized that killing trash mobs after a certain point sucked and you just want to teleport to the level exit within 5 seconds.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think ARPG's generally have a lot of terrible design elements that they've shacked to themselves, and excessive trash clearing is definitely on the list. It's fun during early progression and for a while after for the power fantasy, but they'd do better to have some kind of skip element baked in for the late game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a44vGq-E-7U

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Lmao I miss this game so much. Even though it was best when playing with other people, I’d even take just the single player story mode back to play it one more time.

How were WoW servers made public yet this remains locked up?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as soon as the servers went offline they crumbled to dust. it was inevitable, really.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The closedown was really messy.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I have a confession to make. The game shutdown was my fault. I never cosmiced. I kept saying I would cosmic tomorrow and I never did. I'm sorry.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Someday there will be another game that gives us a Dr.Doom ultimate where he's carried around on a throne while fireworks go off and a glorious anthem plays.

I hope I'm alive to see it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can't think of any other game with a cosmetic with a bad vagina. This was truly in a class of its own.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I'd give it all just to park punishers van one more time

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Humerus posted:

I have a confession to make. The game shutdown was my fault. I never cosmiced. I kept saying I would cosmic tomorrow and I never did. I'm sorry.

I didn't until literally the end of the game, hell I never prestiged at all before then. I cosmiced Hawkeye since he was my first character. Well, technically scarlet witch was my first but that was during the beta and that progress went poof.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I never cosmicked. I got Punisher to purple before getting bored, and got Thing to orange because he's orange. I prestiged a handful of other characters only once or twice. I spent most of my time punching Taskmaster's Spike Spiegel rear end in his stupid face.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Prestiging to color match your character is the way

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I loved Strange/Surfer so much, just running around dropping nukes/boards/insanity on everything in sight. I cosmiced those fuckers quick as I could.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Playing any of the non-street level heroes through the Maggia portion of the story felt so great.

I DO THIS OUT OF COMPASSION

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Movement based heroes were so loving fun and i'm glad to have experienced it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I miss X-23 and zooming around making everything bleed like a coked up feral druid