Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

oh nonono

They go on to say Nazis still bad, because actually their main adversary was

the Soviets.

Not between 39 and summer 41. That's the awkward years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lol at the conclusion of the All-Russian e-games being anything other than the doors getting sealed and 5 tthousand new frontline drone operators getting measured for their footwraps and fifty year old fatigues.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I hope the Dendy guy is O.K.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

ishikabibble posted:

oh nonono

They go on to say Nazis still bad, because actually their main adversary was

the Soviets.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

World of tanks Russia version: buffed T-34 to compete with American excelptionalism

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I wasn't there but rumor has it that King George had a real problem with America, too.

Has it come around full circle yet, or do we have Neanderthal to thank?

Evolutionary upstarts!

When Cain brained his brother with a rock, there was a CIA spook in a suit right behind him with a smirk on his face.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Can't spell cain without C I and A

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Deki posted:

When Cain brained his brother with a rock, there was a CIA spook in a suit right behind him with a smirk on his face.

The Big Bang was a left-wing conspiracy.

"Things should stay dark."

"No, let there be light!"

And now look at us

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Deki posted:

I think some CHUD personalities really tried to push it, but it really does seem that the veterans of Afghanistan fully knew the war was hosed. Nearly all the angry vet takes I've seen were people being pissed that some guy/family who worked with them weren't getting evacuated to the states.

We definitely didn't get the "The politicians betrayed us!" poo poo (aimed at the doves in congress and not the ghouls like Kissinger that prolonged the war just for the US to lose outright instead of settling things with the two Vietnamese sides)

This, and I wonder if there was a quid pro quo between the dems and repubs. Democratic president officialy takes the L instead of pushing it to the next administration, everyone tries to memoryhole the whole thing.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Deki posted:

:lmao:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
American Communism, specifically centers the US as the cause of all world conflicts, as a theory, and has pretty much since it existed. The problem with this is that it's an oversimplified binary lacking nuance, so while it's a solid place to build revolutionary thinking from, once you've got the base down, if you're not willing to challenge this concept, it becomes instead a dogmatic sticking point.

This is not to say the US isn't still influencing world policy as a major player, and that it isn't pleased as punch the MIC that money is poured into is now justified for further warfare, but I don't think American Communists are prepared to be revolutionary enough to shift their thinking from 'the US is in charge of everything' dogma developed based on the culture of influence we had 100 years ago. It's way easier to quote poo poo out-of-context from another time and place, like misusing quotes from the BPP's Ten-Point System to argue for why the people of Ukraine shouldn't defend themselves.

Don't try to make Fred Hampton support Putin, ughlll. He would have had words about the US involvement in this conflict for sure, but would not have had kind words about putting all your trust in the strongman white-supremacist faux-progressive oligarch as the savior of communism.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 31, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Samovar posted:

Yeah, it really does seem that the general public were just sick and tired of it, and no longer cared. Millions of people dead and for nothing. Thank you, George W. Bush, your legacy is intact!

Shame about the thousands of people we gave hope of living in human society, then consigned to live the rest of their lives as livestock for a hillbilly cult because we were bored

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

EorayMel posted:

Excluding counter strike seems very ill advised for what is already very ill advised

Well in cs one team has to kill the terrorist team, which is illegal in Russia under their insulting the military law.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

People are really hyperventilating about this. The fact is, people defect to North Korea all the time. It doesn't mean anything.

No I am not coping

As an aside, the documentary on that one guy (Crossing the Line or some such) was really interesting, because he wasn't doing too well in life before he defected. He was a homeless petty criminal who was basically looking at decades in jail and they forced him to join the army. He didn't do too well there either and liked to drink and raise hell.

When he defected, he got a chance for a new life. He worked as and English professor, movie star, got good digs from the party, had a wife and family etc. It's really fascinating stuff.

Tunicate posted:

Can't spell cain without C I and A

lmbo

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Son of Rodney posted:

Well in cs one team has to kill the terrorist team, which is illegal in Russia under their insulting the military law.

Also it penalizes you for killing hostages.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

the other hand posted:

I came across this video today and found it super interesting - thought others might too.

It’s an interview with retired General Ben Hodges, who’s had a lot of interesting things to say about the Ukraine war since it started. It covers a lot of ground, but of particular note is that he’s extremely optimistic about what Ukraine might accomplish with a counteroffensive this year. He makes sure to stress that poo poo is very uncertain, but thinks that taking Crimea is a real possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcRKBMQkCIw

This is def worth watching. Lots of insight on the Ukrainian attack, but also stuff on politics and what shoulda-coulda been done in hindsight and deterrence.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Interesting things happening in Belarus. It seems Patrushev turned up there, while Luka Jr. ran off to China.
https://twitter.com/Hajun_BY/status/1663918466179518464
https://twitter.com/Hajun_BY/status/1663918474626838533

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

also wouldn't the bigger danger be ambient humidity than water per se?

Those of us who live in the Phoenix or Tucson area consider it to be extremely humid in the summer when it gets into double digit humidity. Basically before we got stupid and decided a specific date to start and stop 'monsoon season' it was just whenever several consecutive days managed to hit a 55 degree dewpoint, until several consecutive days didn't hit a 55 degree dewpoint. During some months in the summer the LOW temperature overnight doesn't get below 90.

But yeah, there are a couple of aircraft boneyards in the Tucson area (one in Marana north of Tucson) because it's generally warm to hot and dry. Very dry.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1663955770562445318
Another Russian target successfully intercepted a missile.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1663956704977879058
Norway is providing 7 billion Euro over 5 years.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
90% of Russian projectiles failed for a $1.7 billion price tag of failure

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/17726

quote:

Russia fired more than 500 missiles and kamikaze drones at Ukraine during May with nearly 90 percent of them being destroyed by Ukrainian air defenses, a Kyiv Post analysis of Ukrainian military data has revealed, at a cost to the Russians of more than $1.7 billion dollars.

After conducting a day-by-day analysis of information released by Ukraine’s Air Force, Kyiv Post identified that at least 563 missiles of various categories and Iranian-made Shahed drones that were fired against Ukrainian settlements and territories from the beginning to the end of May.

Of those, 533 were destroyed by Ukrainian air defense systems which is a neutralization rate of over 90 percent for the month – during which there were some 20 combined Russian aerial attacks with most including Kyiv.

The attacks on Ukraine included 401 Shahed-136 UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) which Russia weaponizes as Geran-2’s for one-way missions. Ukrainian air defenses destroyed 362 of the incoming drones or, again, over 90 percent of them.

Each Shahed costs around $20,000 so the minimum cost to Russia of their deployment would have been around $8 million in May alone. Russia may have purchased some 2400 overall Shaheds from Iran, according to the Ukrainian government, but some estimates are lower.

Also used in the attacks, which are conducted from bombers, airfield launch facilities, and ships, were:

· Kh101-555 missiles - 114 deployed; 106 destroyed; a 93 percent neutralization rate; potential cost; $1.48 billion.

Kaliber missiles – 29 deployed; 26 destroyed; 100 percent; $155 million.

· Kinzhal missiles – 7 deployed; 7 destroyed; 100 percent; $28 million.

· Iskander missiles including from Su-400 systems – 16 deployed; 16 destroyed; 100 percent; $48 million.

· Kh-22 missiles – 5 deployed; 5 destroyed; 100 percent; $5 million.

· Missiles from Su-300 systems – 12 deployed; 5 destroyed; 40 percent; $5 million.

· Other unnmamed missiles – 7 deployed; 7 destroyed; 100 percent; unknown cost.

To scale the cost of Russian attacks - over $1.7 billion in one month - the Kyiv School of Economics has recently estimated that the total reconstructuon cost for Ukraine's health sector is around $1.7 billion.

READ MORE: Why Is Moscow Persisting With Unsuccessful Missile Attacks – Strategy or Insanity?

May 27/28 was the date with the single most attacking Shaheds when 54 were deployed and 96.3 percent were destroyed.

May 28/29 could be called the most intense day of Russian attacks with a combination of 86 missiles and drones deployed against Ukraine; 89.5 percent of incoming were destroyed.

Kyiv Post notes that, while there are some inconsistencies in how air defense data was disclosed that may have impacted on exact figures given in our analysis; we have made conservative assumptions where it was necessary. The data is that which is made public by the Ukrainian armed forces and was not subject to independent verification. Even so – the trend and the levels of failure by Russia is self-evident.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

zone posted:

Interesting things happening in Belarus. It seems Patrushev turned up there, while Luka Jr. ran off to China.
https://twitter.com/Hajun_BY/status/1663918466179518464
https://twitter.com/Hajun_BY/status/1663918474626838533

Hmm.

I don't usually entertain posts like this since it could be anything. Having said that, with Lukashenko being sick and speculation of a Russian takeover going hard, right now is probably when stuff will definitely start happening.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Going back to radiator chat, those guys are pulling them to sell the copper cores. If you are in some lovely base in the middle of nowhere, not getting your pay on time, not getting fed, you'll soon find some way to make money.

When I was in Russia back in early 90's you never walked the streets at night without a flashlight because the manhole covers got stolen and sold for scrap. :ussr:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
hey there's some level of self awareness that seems to be spreading

Muscovite posted:

Ok, let’s pretend for a second I’m not a 90s kid from Moscow who grew up on American culture and shone the government considers the bane of Russia because how dare we have traveled the world and learned languages and got education, we are so difficult to control, which is why they scare and rob us into silence. Let’s pretend I believe those fucks and am a deep Russia Z rear end in a top hat who thinks Ukrainians are just Russians pretending to be different or Nazis.

WHERES THE TRILLION loving DOLLARS YOU INVESTED INTO THE MILITARY??????? Where’s Armatas, where’s Su-57s? Where’s drones, hypersonic no-ANAL-ogue missiles? Where’s modern uniforms, where’s AK-102s and AK-12s? Where’s digital targeting for artillery? Where’s everything you were supposed to take Ukraine with in 3 days, before any NATO support ever got in? Why the gently caress are you making people buy their own equipment and uniforms and bandages and food and armor and weapons and send them to fight in tanks that could tell you what Stalin was like in person if they could speak? Why the gently caress is the fleet flagship at the bottom of the loving sea, sunk by a country that has no goddamn NAVY? Why are there drones attacking strategic bombers and Moscow? And why, if you wanted to save Donbass, we didn’t just stay in Donbass, and attacked Kiev?

My country is full of poo poo. My country is an embarrassment which refuses to learn its lessons time and again and whenever it’s presented with s chance, it moans about how hard it is and craves a Tsar to come in and save them, be they Putin, Navalny or anyone else. So sorry, but I’ll laugh at old tanks. This is a travesty. And the worst part id that people like me knew it would be like this. And those fucks are so delusional that they didn’t. Wake me up when this is over.

Edit: At this point is rather have our government bought by Honda. “It is a GOOD deal”.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

William Bear posted:

Putin is doing his best to prop up Russian gamer culture.

https://www.pcgamer.com/putin-order...litical-events/

Uh, Russians only play Heroes 3, if I know my modding scene.

He can't even do this one thing right, and put H3 back in vogue!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

hey there's some level of self awareness that seems to be spreading

The few times they openly post stuff like this, in spite of repression and censorship, at least shows that awareness of the disastrous course of this war has taken root among the Russian population.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
the counter strike ban kind of makes sense. all those times people were saying "rush B" they were actually leaking the entire Russian operational plan

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Tanks that could tell you what Stalin was like in person if they could speak" is an extremely solid burn.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

FMguru posted:

"Tanks that could tell you what Stalin was like in person if they could speak" is an extremely solid burn.

Funny they should mention it because there was one captured T-62 (?) I think that had "For Stalin" written on its barrel

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663972601864003585
A new aid package was announced, which includes air defense missiles and more Avenger systems.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

The Big Bang was a left-wing conspiracy.

"Things should stay dark."

"No, let there be light!"

And now look at us

can't have rainbows without light

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663972601864003585
A new aid package was announced, which includes air defense missiles and more Avenger systems.

AIM-7 is a weird one isn't it? I guess they mean the Sea Sparrow version someone figured out how to strap to Buks

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Victis posted:

AIM-7 is a weird one isn't it? I guess they mean the Sea Sparrow version someone figured out how to strap to Buks

Aren't those for the NASAMS?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Victis posted:

Or they expect to have a compatible airframe to strap it to by the time it gets there...
... with a compatible radar to guide it...

[edit] So unless I'm REALY out of date, the AIM-7 requires terminal guidance from the aircraft launching it. IE, it's not a "Fire and forget" weapon like the AIM-120 or AIM-9 heatseaker - You have to keep a radar beam locked onto your target and radiated right up until impact, meaning you have to have a compatible radar system in your aircraft, such as an F-4 Phantom, F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18, etc.

I'll go out on a limb and read this as a tea leaf that the F-16 deal is likely largely "Done" in the back-rooms.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 31, 2023

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Aren't those for the NASAMS?

No, NASAMS is AIM-120, AIM-9X, and/or IRIS-T for the missile used. The Sea Sparrow can be used on Buk mobile S-300 launchers, so that's what the AIM-7s are for.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

zone posted:

Funny they should mention it because there was one captured T-62 (?) I think that had "For Stalin" written on its barrel

They wrote the same thing on the engine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

No, NASAMS is AIM-120, AIM-9X, and/or IRIS-T for the missile used. The Sea Sparrow can be used on Buk mobile S-300 launchers, so that's what the AIM-7s are for.

Oh thanks, yeah. It's difficult to be an expert on everything sometimes :negative:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://t.me/strelkovii/5163
Shoigu published a new book. Strelkov wasn't happy about it.

Igor Strelkov posted:

Strelkov Igor Ivanovich #KRP
No, - well, how talented and versatile a human being is our Sergey Kuzhugetovich! It turns out that he is not only an outstanding wood carver - the author of dozens of wooden structures, but also a writer of everyday life. In the midst of such a successful (strictly according to plan and even ahead of schedule) developing NWO, which Sergey Kuzhugetovich is leading by the will of the Supreme Non-Commander, our commander also manages to publish books.
So, if anyone has 8 thousand 300 rubles lying around (this is how much a masterpiece costs) - do not regret such a trifle in order to enjoy the incomparable style of the Plywood Marshal.

P.S. Now I expect that soon Sergey Kuzhugetovich will start acting in films and play the main roles in theatrical productions. As a great artist of large and small theaters, he is not yet known to us. And, yes, I'm still waiting for a book of his poems. A poem about NWO .... Rogozin, out there - he wrote and personally performed songs about space and Roscosmos when he was the head of the latter. And Sergei Lavrov recently published the MGIMO hymn in verse, where "MGIMO" rhymes with "stigma" (which is very true in all respects, but still does not adequately reflect the essence of a significant part of the graduates of this educational institution, who are better suited to the rhyme "..ovno" How many talents we have!!! They could be put to work, but there is no one (except them) to lead our unfortunate country ...

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

zone posted:

Sedgr posted:

They wrote the same thing on the engine.

:hmmyes: :golfclap:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

zone posted:

https://t.me/strelkovii/5163
Shoigu published a new book. Strelkov wasn't happy about it.

$100 does seem steep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Flavahbeast posted:

$100 does seem steep

I immediately did the conversion too. That's a pretty crazy price for a book. Is it some kind of huge coffee table book with rich leather binding?