Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

I really like Hogback. I feel like the artist is improving too- I love how the ancestors' faces become less personalities and more masks as they recede into the past beyond memory....

Is that legit Japanese? Sounds better that way.

The guy's got a real talent for the abstract stuff, I feel you could see that even way back in Malky Dungeon's first run.

As for the other thing, it's a play on Chinoiserie and Japonaiserie. I could have just gone for Wakako-esque, but I decided to be fancy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinoiserie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japonaiserie_(Van_Gogh)

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't know, I don't know. I look at a bunch of stuff and then pictures happen.
I'd love to hear from other draw-ers about what it feels like to make pictures. Don't know if my "compost heap" method is normal or not.

"Wheelwright Slab said, "Your servant looks at from the point of view of his own business. When I chisel a wheel, if I hit too softly, it slips and won't bite. If I hit too hard, it jams and won't move. Neither too soft nor too hard - I get it in my hand and respond with my mind. But my mouth cannot put it into words. There is an art to it. But your servant can't show it to his own son, and he can't get it from me. ..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Emzedoh posted:

Okinawa is somewhat distinct from the rest of Japan, probably because it was cough "incorporated" much later. Not too different from the USA/Hawaii situation, I think.

I live and work in Okinawa now. My boss is Okinawan but a lot of the staff are mainland Japanese. Boss brought in an absolutely ancient historian to give a lecture all about Okinawan history to the staff and old boy absolutely went off on one about mainland Japan and it's treatment of Okinawa. I think a lot of the mainland staff were quite shocked.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I bet that was an interesting work meeting.

Also I'm jealous, I'd love to visit Japan again.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
It was! He also said a bunch of wild poo poo that, even as a lay person, I thought, "Now that seems a little out there, mate." One of my colleagues has a history degree and came out of the meeting absolutely livid. "He can't say [thing] as fact! X, Y, and Z alone make his claim highly unfeasible!" It was a complete mess lol.

Okinawa has a lot going for it and I love living here. But on the other hand, today started with a North Korean missile alert and now we're all working from home for the next two days because a typhoon is heading straight for us. So, you know, swings and roundabouts.

Having your phone scream the emergency alert noise at you unexpectedly at 6:30am really starts to wake you up quick. Realising that the one word you can understand in the alert means 'missile' just slams the wake up process into hyperdrive.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
... what do they want people to do about the threat of a possible incoming North Korean missile? Just jump in the old nuclear bunker real quick?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

"Wheelwright Slab said, "Your servant looks at from the point of view of his own business. When I chisel a wheel, if I hit too softly, it slips and won't bite. If I hit too hard, it jams and won't move. Neither too soft nor too hard - I get it in my hand and respond with my mind. But my mouth cannot put it into words. There is an art to it. But your servant can't show it to his own son, and he can't get it from me. ..."

...yeah, that's basically it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Tough act to follow! Here's what I've been working on, read right to left!

Couldn't settle on a consistent jojo-ified look for Plume so I kept him cartoony compared to Shim and Rum. Hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I enjoyed making it.

(Agent Rum totally knows the ways of the Backlicker, go with it)

lmao

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Fagtastic posted:

... what do they want people to do about the threat of a possible incoming North Korean missile? Just jump in the old nuclear bunker real quick?

Kind of, haha.

Japanese Emergency Alert System posted:

政府からの発表

2023/05/31 06:30

「ミサイル発射。ミサイル発射。北朝鮮からミサイルが発射されたものとみられます。建物の中、又は地下に避難して下さい。」

(総務省消防庁)

(Translated by deepl:)
Announcement from the Government

2023/05/31 06:30

"Missile launch. Missile launch. A missile is believed to have been fired from North Korea. Please evacuate to a building or underground."

(Fire and Disaster Management Agency, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

:perfect:

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Sept 25 - Oct 2, 1938)

I like how Hal Foster sneakily changed the design of Camelot when no one was looking. Now it's a lot more Hollywood fantasy with that crazy buttressed dome thing.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Calexio posted:

Kind of, haha.

Oh my goodness. I bet they actually do it too, am I right? I lived there for a while, I bet they do exactly what the government text says. Do the subway stations fill up or something?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Owl at Home posted:

:perfect:

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Sept 25 - Oct 2, 1938)

Lmao what

"No no boys it's a good thing Ilene had a terrifying death to spare you from having to fight over her"

Launcelot's a piece of poo poo huh. Checks out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's a hilariously bad conclusion. Fortunately fridged maidens don't become a common occurrence.

---

During this part of comic it seems as if Foster purposely adds a line about gay knights every week (and I'm amused every time).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
How fortunate of Ilene, spared a fate worse than death: blaming herself for one of her suitors murdering the other one in cold blood.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, you're assuming Val could have simply elected to not murder Arn, or vice versa. A ridiculous notion, any way you slice it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

an old favourite

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Give your balls a tug, Spidy!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tree Bucket posted:

Here's the pyf comics Green Girl Grid! Wakako isn't technically a green girl, but the food goblin absolutely is, and is basically the thread mascot at this point. Also I was very close to replacing the failed "teen rock lesbian in the Ironheart style" picture with a big black square and the word "nope"

Tree Bucket, you've mimicked a lot of different styles in this thread, and they all look cool - Do you have an artist style that you like imitating more than others?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

999 pages, wow. We're at ~2 weeks (give or take a day) of posts before we're all caught up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Fortis I continue to like Blasphemous Saga Fantasy. I didn't realize we were that close to caught up!

Back near the beginning I mentioned that it gave me Dragon Quest vibes (which I think was intentional) and it still seems that way, but now with a lot more of your own style and worldbuilding added over time, which I think you've done a great job building in organically. It's not something fantasy stories are always good at, so well done on that front!

Playing a Dragon Quest game it feels like you're acting out a fairy tale or something. It just makes you feel good. The plot and the characters aren't full of unexpected twists and surprises, they often hit on the same themes repeatedly, but they do it so well that the experience of going through it is just really enjoyable, and I feel the same way about your comic. It's bright, fun, and pleasant, and I really enjoy it. Thanks for making it!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't know, I don't know. I look at a bunch of stuff and then pictures happen.
I'd love to hear from other draw-ers about what it feels like to make pictures. Don't know if my "compost heap" method is normal or not.

Most of what I've drawn so far has been little more than references to two different existing characters undergoing the same situation and mashing them up art style wise to make something that entertains me. When I see the backlickers and their translators in rear end I'm like "Ooh! that's like that time in JoJo's where Bruno licks Giorno to see if he's lying!" (i changed the key word in my work to "coward" to fit the situation of the Thorsby comic.) Often times I'll want to make way, way more art for the thread, but I keep manager hours so it's really hard to squeak in anything other than a little practice here and there. The feeling I feel when I realize I'm about to open clip studio and start working on something that's not just aimless practice but an actual "work" is close to "elated" I guess. I'm excited and happy and contemplative. I spent a fair amount of time deciding exactly which JoJo's panels I wanted to reference and which character was going to be "playing" another character. I also spent a lot of time combing through post histories to get reference materials for the Thorsby characters to accentuate and exaggerate their actual physical qualities. I needed anything I could latch on to to give them bigger personalities in the JoJo style- also their clothes and what color they are. Side note, who the gently caress lets Plume go out dressed like that lmao. the JoJo's content was easier to get material for, as most of the jojo's panels I wanted to use have their own "Know Your Meme" page entry so I could find them easily by googling like "you're approaching me?" or "this is the taste of a liar".

well that's kinda how it feels for me and a bit of my process. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time just staring at this thing I made with pride.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
No comic today. Pneumonia

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'll try to fill in by finding some SFW Jerkcity HD comics:

Probably take me some time to find another SFW one.

E:nope

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 16:40 on May 31, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Quite the page for gay comics.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Are the Jerkcity jerks actually gay or is it all just the practice of some esoteric mystic philosophy and they are cracking open the secrets of existence before us? only the Devine Priapus knows.

E: here's one I colored

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 17:56 on May 31, 2023

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/386GACcAmJc in regards to prince val this would've been better but alas we can but dream

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

In the last issue of Tales of the Beanworld, the Boom'rs invented a dangerous song.

Shake it.

Hurl Warriors

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Colored another one

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Thank you for reminding me about Jerkcity.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Did anyone call for a Spigot face? of cource you did

Well this is some bullshit! I didn't get to lick one dick!

E:

gentlemen you can’t frot in here, this is the war room

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 20:08 on May 31, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seiha0ka9QM

This video is my number one all time favorite Bonequest (it is called Bonequest now, nobody cares about this though) related content. Truly elevating the original content

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: King says that to prepare for Jos3ph's battle with the Columnists, he must train hard! And luckily, he knows the best heroin warrior around--his own sensei! (coach? ???) They go to Venice, where they meet a mysterious masked person!

Read right to left:

Chapter 71 - Lisa is Still Mr. Gentle: END

iykyk

Yay! One of my faves is here :) More :words: about her later

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ironheart Rune

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

We interrupt this thread to deliver an important warning:

original comic https://64.media.tumblr.com/3dc2034a26cd1d4e2ff6aa0b99f42035/tumblr_mlpfvevgA01snfhwio1_1280.jpg

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Calexio posted:

Okinawa has a lot going for it and I love living here. But on the other hand, today started with a North Korean missile alert and now we're all working from home for the next two days because a typhoon is heading straight for us. So, you know, swings and roundabouts.

Having your phone scream the emergency alert noise at you unexpectedly at 6:30am really starts to wake you up quick. Realising that the one word you can understand in the alert means 'missile' just slams the wake up process into hyperdrive.

Welp, that's a downside alright.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Napolitan spaghetti monster was a character in an animated short Q-Rais did which he has, sadly, removed from the Internet.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Removed why? The Pastafarians are not actually litigious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

By popular demand posted:

Removed why? The Pastafarians are not actually litigious.

No idea! He left some of this other animations up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48-RA4BNXVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWVb0_DdyrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgcC9Wamtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtcH5k2-fLM