Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Thauros posted:

i know it’s not unprecedented but when was the last time a rikishi who was this established and successful changed the major part of his shikona? i’ve watched for five years now and have never seen it before

Before he made ozeki, Harumafuji went by Ama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For the biggest change, Harumafuji only took the name when he make ozeki. He was Ama all the way up.

If all goes according to plan, Kotonowaka would be next as he's supposed to trade up and get his grandfather's Kotozakura name if he makes Ozeki. Hoshoryu's already has his Asashoryu inspired name so I doubt he trades unless they actually give him the Asa name.

Daiesho and the Wakas have already surpassed their masters so I don't think there's a reason for them to change unless they have some other connection I don't know of.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Waka brothers are all named after the three brothers(Takamoto, Motoharu, and Takakage) from the Japanese parable “the lesson of the three arrows”, so I don’t think one would change their name and ruin their whole name scheme.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Maybe I'll eat my words in a year or two, but I don't really believe in Kotonowaka's ability to ever make Ozeki.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Brut posted:

Maybe I'll eat my words in a year or two, but I don't really believe in Kotonowaka's ability to ever make Ozeki.

Mitakeumi spent 5 years bouncing around upper M and the S/K ranks before finally breaking through and he did so at age 29. Goeido took nearly three years to get there from the upper M ranks and he broke through at 28.

Kotonowaka's still only 25, so I'd give him a couple of years to get there.

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 31, 2023

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
more like "already" 25

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
25 lol

:smith:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i had no idea harumafuji only took his shikona after reaching ozeki, thanks

on the opposite end, is takayasu the only person to reach ozeki while using his birth family name as his shikona? p sure no yokozuna did. endō who peaked at lower san'yaku is the other current guy who comes to mind as having the most career success without a traditional shikona

edit: oh wow, shodai is actually shodai's real name? 正(correct/righeous) 代 (generation/era) sounds like such a shikona which may be why it was kept

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 31, 2023

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

anakha posted:

Mitakeumi spent 5 years bouncing around upper M and the S/K ranks before finally breaking through and he did so at age 29. Goeido took nearly three years to get there from the upper M ranks and he broke through at 28.

Kotonowaka's still only 25, so I'd give him a couple of years to get there.

wakamotoharu didn't even make *makuuchi* until 28 and he looks like a very plausible future ozeki

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Thauros posted:

wakamotoharu didn't even make *makuuchi* until 28 and he looks like a very plausible future ozeki

Sure but looking at their (WMH and WTK) build I suspect this has something to do with suddenly being able to access certain pharmaceuticals, though maybe Sokokurai is just a great teacher :shrug:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

more like "already" 25
Kiri's 27, 2 years ago he had yet to make sanyaku. Daieshio's 29 and was hanging out at the M1-3 rank without making sanyaku at 25. Wakamotoharu was in juryo and WTK was making his Makuuchi debut. Heck, Asanoyama wasn't even sanyaku yet the first time at Koto's age and he's had an entire arc since then.

I might be missing someone since I'm just looking at years and not birth month, but it looks like the only guys that have had 3 straight sanyaku appearances (so as to not count guys that have a fluke result at a lower level and promptly get destroyed) at 25 or younger are Teru, Keisho, Abi, Ichinojo and Hosho. So he's ahead of pace of just about everyone other than the phenoms.

Ichinojo should have made Ozeki if he wasn't a lazy dumbass and Abi had his suspension just after that so who knows how his career would have gone.

He's ahead of the other former Ozeki like Takayasu, Mita and Tochi.

He might top out like Abi, but he's probably not going to flake out like Ichinojo given his background so he seems to be on track for at least a run.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 31, 2023

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Brut posted:

I'm a big fan of Kotonowaka and think he's got massive potential if he can get a bit sharper on offense; defensively he's already super strong. Time will tell if he is the next Kisenosato or the next Takarafuji though.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Thauros posted:

i had no idea harumafuji only took his shikona after reaching ozeki, thanks

on the opposite end, is takayasu the only person to reach ozeki while using his birth family name as his shikona? p sure no yokozuna did. endō who peaked at lower san'yaku is the other current guy who comes to mind as having the most career success without a traditional shikona

edit: oh wow, shodai is actually shodai's real name? 正(correct/righeous) 代 (generation/era) sounds like such a shikona which may be why it was kept

Oh no, I think this means that shodai's demotion was a departure from the righteous era.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I'm really not looking at age but more thinking of their actual style of Sumo and how each bout looks, I don't think it's likely that Kotonowaka will significantly change how he fights. Abi's an even more extreme version of that, he's very limited on technique variety and he's constantly putting his body way ahead of where his legs are, there's a reason his best performance (unless I'm missing something) is a 10-5 from M4 one time, I don't think there were ever realistic Ozeki hopes.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have to believe most makuuchi rikishi have better training discipline than Abi.

e: Abi seems like a guy who has benefited from having the physical gifts of a strong body with long limbs and that's gotten him far enough to not really care. Like Ichinojo's HUGE. I want to see if Hokuseiho will learn from how the back half of this tournament went and realize that trying to one arm big oaf his way through everything won't be a winning tactic often enough to stick.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 1, 2023

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Lucasar posted:

I'm a big fan of Kotonowaka and think he's got massive potential if he can get a bit sharper on offense; defensively he's already super strong. Time will tell if he is the next Kisenosato or the next Takarafuji though.

Yeah - he's got a strong stable that's training him, has consistently improved season over season, and while his record wasn't amazing this tournament, it undercommunicates just how competitive most of his matches were. I think he maybe had one or two blowouts total the entire 15 days, every loss was hardfought and there was probably a path to victory in there somewhere.

I'm the Kotonowaka fan in my group of sumo watchers (everyone else thinks he's weird because of the quadboob) and I will cheerfully talk about how good he is. But Shodai proved that defense-first sumo can absolutely succeed even in the modern era (the lovingly named Wall of Daikon), so I'm not worried about Kotonowaka.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

I'm really not looking at age but more thinking of their actual style of Sumo and how each bout looks, I don't think it's likely that Kotonowaka will significantly change how he fights. Abi's an even more extreme version of that, he's very limited on technique variety and he's constantly putting his body way ahead of where his legs are, there's a reason his best performance (unless I'm missing something) is a 10-5 from M4 one time, I don't think there were ever realistic Ozeki hopes.

You can't really ignore his age though. Except for the superstar tier that currently consists of just Teru and Keisho, everyone else at the top took a huge leap between 25 and 28-29. I'd think it's more reasonable to assume that Koto and Hoshoryu both have another level of improvement than not.

And he doesn't even need to improve that much. He's gone a year and a half without a non-injury MK including 7 in a row at Joi where his worst result was 7-4-4 so 8-9 wins at Joi is probably his floor barring injury. He just needs to improve slightly to be a consistent 9-10 guy and then throw a lucky/overachieving tourney on top.

I don't think he'll reach Takakeisho levels of great Ozeki, borderline Yoko, but I think he can pull a Takayasu-esque career.

Heck, in 2-3 years, Teru, Kiri, Daiesho and Wakas (if they can hold/regain their current level) are all going to be on or nearing the downswing, Takakeisho could be broken, and the Hokuseiho/Hakuoho/Atamifuji/Onosato generation might not be at full power yet, leaving Hoshoryu and Koto at the top of the banzuke by default.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Oh I have a lot of faith in Hoshoryu to get a lot better, both for technique reasons and because he seems to actually care when he loses matches.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Looks like Ishiura just retired :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I thought I heard this a few weeks ago. Still, RIP. Ishiura and enho as Hak' sword bearer and dew sweeper was an all-time entourage.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Neck/spinal injuries suck rear end. Looks like he's sticking around with Hak as Magaki though so at least he'll do ok. I imagine he was doing the unofficial assistant coach thing anyways while he was rehabbing so this just makes it official.

https://tachiai.org/2023/06/01/ishiura-retires-becomes-magaki-oyakata/

Has a bit about the politics about him getting the name and forcing the old Magaki into retirement.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Not surprised Ishiura has retired as has been stated about his injury. Hoping he does well as a coach.

Tanji recently finished the most recent basho at sd11 with a 5-2 record which should see him promoted to Makushita for the first time since his debut a year ago. Nothing amazing about reaching the 3rd division after 7 bashos but Tanji is only 16.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 1, 2023

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
There I was, struggling to find new avenues by which I could pester people with my sumo fandom. Who would have known my :10bux: would actually do something positive for me some 15+ years later.

I'm ready to do terribly in another fantasy league as well.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

Just remembered that Takayasu is another one that's actually his real family name and the weirdness of the 4 Takas in Makuuchi as they are all actually different kanji and are of different origins, even the stablemates Takakeisho and Takanosho.

Takayasu's Taka means Tall, or High up. And his full name is High up and relaxed

Takarafuji's kanji is actually Takara, meaning Treasure. So he's a fake Taka that's a spy from team fuji, but Treasure Mountain is a kick-rear end name.

Takakeisho's means expensive, costly or noble, so I guess like fancy and digified? and his full name means Fancy landscape. Also, Takakeisho's dad was a huge Takanohana fanboy and Keisho's actual first name is Takanobu (Noble Faith) so his name would have actually been shikona ready.

Takanosho's is noble or prosperous. Full name Prosperous Victory.

Keisho's name comes from the great Yokozuna Takanohana while Takanosho came from Komusubi Takamisugui. Takanohana and Takamisugui were contemporaries as wrestlers but were in separate stables so their names had separate origins. Their stables were run by two brothers (Takanohana's father and uncle) so they naturally merged when the elder brother retired and I guess Takanohana and Takamisugui became buddies during this time. As a side note, this combined stable was the most stupidly OP stable ever with at one point 10 simultaneous Makuuchi members including 2 Yokozuna, 1 Ozeki and a bunch of guys floating around the K/S/Upper M ranks (One of whom was Oho's dad who is a character in his own right). Like Takanohana would regularly get to fight down to M7/8ish because of all the intra-stable matchups he got to skip.

They both later went on to run their own stables with each handing down their version of the Taka name. Then Takanohana attempted a coup on the JSA and got his rear end kicked out and his stable disbanded. His guys got merged into his old friend's team so hence 2 different kinds of Taka on the same team.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 2, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was first learning some kanji when I first got into sumo and when I saw his name I instinctively translated it to Big Easy and now that’s stuck, even though fundamentally incorrect.

So he’ll always be the Big Easy to me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Like Daiamami, though in that case it's not the kanji but the pronunciation that cemented his name as "Big Sweetness" in my mind.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69/status/1664887645929889793https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69/status/1664894737663361024

It is done

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm really excited to see the guys coming out of the new stables. hakuho for sure will have sports scientists and poo poo in there saying 'no, 15 hour training days will make them worse' so i'm expecting the talent level to go way up and rikishi longevity to also go up.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Oh yeah some actual modern training techniques in sumo could be a game changer, from what gets put out in public it seems that they're very set in tradition, and even the weight programs they do look a few decades behind most combat/contact sports.

Brut posted:

Sure but looking at their (WMH and WTK) build I suspect this has something to do with suddenly being able to access certain pharmaceuticals, though maybe Sokokurai is just a great teacher :shrug:

Otoh there's this. WMH hitting heights he's never seemed able to, coupled with a juicy physique at 29? Kinda sus, maybe they are modern behind closed doors.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

from what gets put out in public it seems that they're very set in tradition,

[said to a man holding the rank of 'champion'] try warming up dude

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Oh yeah some actual modern training techniques in sumo could be a game changer, from what gets put out in public it seems that they're very set in tradition, and even the weight programs they do look a few decades behind most combat/contact sports.

Otoh there's this. WMH hitting heights he's never seemed able to, coupled with a juicy physique at 29? Kinda sus, maybe they are modern behind closed doors.

Yeah, they are super traditional. This does seem to be changing though. Kisenosato and I believe some other guys went to school after retiring specifically to get sports management degrees and when they were talking about the new Nishonseki stable building they were talking about modern wonders like dedicated video rooms, secondary dohyos so multiple people can practice at the same time and individual dorm rooms so people can have some privacy resting.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-iI-7nBwBw

Nice little feature on Tochinoshin.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

:cry:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Afaik they don't test for steroids and theyr constantly injured so I'd be pretty surprised if they weren't juicing even while training treaditionally

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Afaik they don't test for steroids and theyr constantly injured so I'd be pretty surprised if they weren't juicing even while training treaditionally

they are absolutely on gear. our boy tochinoshin is a poster boy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The swag is off the charts.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

There was a musical interlude on the Midnight Sumo stream in which Kakuryu sang "My Way." He's got one hell of a set of pipes on him, that's for sure.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fearless posted:

There was a musical interlude on the Midnight Sumo stream in which Kakuryu sang "My Way." He's got one hell of a set of pipes on him, that's for sure.
https://youtu.be/ACTbrq1jzXY

A bunch of rikishi are better-than-average singers. Takayasu comes to mind, too. And Enho, showing it's not necessarily the bigger body giving them musical chops.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ikioi's singing voice is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Hirayuki posted:

https://youtu.be/ACTbrq1jzXY

A bunch of rikishi are better-than-average singers. Takayasu comes to mind, too. And Enho, showing it's not necessarily the bigger body giving them musical chops.
and then there's Gagamaru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_z0PVc2wJw&t=72s