Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The JERK number called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Playing video games online with friends somehow being just as difficult to do now as it was back when we had dial-up.

Tried to play It Takes Two this evening. First, although I bought the game on Steam I needed the EA launcher to actually play it, so first there was downloading and installing that, figuring out that I already have an account for some loving reason, resetting the password, installing the updates, importing my friends list from Steam...

Fortunately I anticipated such problems because I've played a modern video game before, so I had that all done and ready to go by the time my friend and I had agreed to play.

Got on the Discord call, loaded the game, sent the invite. No good. Nothing happens. Friend tries sending me an invite. Nope. I reboot. He reboots. Nothing. At various points we both had the loving EA launcher telling us we were offline, even though we were talking to each other over Discord the whole loving time so our internet connections were clearly functioning. Sometimes had the EA launcher say I was online but the in-game overlay say I was offline, or vice-versa. Sometimes I could see my friend online, sometimes I couldn't. Sometimes he could see me, sometimes he couldn't.

After an hour, we gave up. And it's been over two weeks since I bought the game (because scheduling issues) so I'll have to make a nuisance of myself to Steam if I want to get a refund - which I do because the game doesn't loving work.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That rapid-fire, meme-filled way that a lot of characters talk in modern comedies (and some dramas). I'm not sure how to describe it but this Cloud 9 clip pretty much exemplifies what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxY24zeD43U

No one talks like this in real life, but it seems like every single "comedy" show on broadcast TV these days has this style of dialogue. It's really obnoxious. I guess this is what out-of-touch Hollywood types think The Kids sound like today?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 16:10 on May 25, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That rapid-fire, meme-filled way that a lot of characters talk in modern comedies (and some dramas). I'm not sure how to describe it but this Cloud 9 clip pretty much exemplifies what I'm talking about :

No one talks like this in real life, but it seems like every single "comedy" show on broadcast TV these days has this style of dialogue. It's really obnoxious. I guess this is what out-of-touch Hollywood types think The Kids sound like today?

Normally I abhor a laugh track... but this feels weird without one.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tiggum posted:

Playing video games online with friends somehow being just as difficult to do now as it was back when we had dial-up.

Tried to play It Takes Two this evening. First, although I bought the game on Steam I needed the EA launcher to actually play it, so first there was downloading and installing that, figuring out that I already have an account for some loving reason, resetting the password, installing the updates, importing my friends list from Steam...

I loving HATE that every developer now is trying to make their own game launcher/library like Steam. I completely removed a ton of games (including the Bioshock series) because they all started putting their own janky, buggy bullshit launchers in. Then the game would crash or look like hot garbage so I couldn't even run any saves or get a fresh campaign started. Thankfully I found the offline full games on GOG for cheap & their support worked with me so I could get a discount with my original physical game codes, but what a stupid, nonsense pain in the rear end it was. Worst part is all the lax security, data-mining or near-malware levels of bullshit some of these launchers have, it's ridiculous.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:13 on May 25, 2023

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I haven't games on PC since it was still discs you installed and clicked an icon so when I see my friends desktops now with all the launchers I can't wrap my head around it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I haven't games on PC since it was still discs you installed and clicked an icon

I want to say that wasn't even that long ago

but

gosh that was a long time ago

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm still salty that Ubisoft's stupid cloud save bullshit ate by Black Flag progress, like...more years ago than I care to admit.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Arrath posted:

I'm still salty that Ubisoft's stupid cloud save bullshit ate by Black Flag progress, like...more years ago than I care to admit.

A lot of people lost access to all previously purchased DLC at the same time and to this day they keep saying "At this moment in time, this issue is still being investigated as a high priority matter with the team."

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

can you be more specific about what's weird about how they're talking in the clip? sounds like standard new yorker speech w/r/t timing and tempo to me but i'm quite likely missing what specific thing you think is unrealistic

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TV shows aren't trying to be realistic or write how people actually talk though, except maybe very specific genres. How people actually talk is largely boring! It's a comedy show, of course it's going to be writing characters saying funny things in a comedic rhythm.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dear people whose homes smell like weed:

Weed rules and all but you are equally as disgusting as olds with the nicotine smell

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Indigo (bookstore chain) is selling a weed scented candle? I don't think there was any actual weed in it it's just for when you want your place to stank??

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not really getting what is meme filled or modern about this clip. I think 99% of this scene could have aired on Newsradio or a similar comedy 25 years ago and fit right in. Also most of the characters in that clip look like they are over 30 years old.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 05:58 on May 27, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah it's not really meme-filled; it's just rapid and breathless.

I knew nothing about the characters going in but I figured out their characters by the time I stopped watching when the teacher's pet archetype got up to speak. That's solid characterization.

Beats pauses for laugh tracks.

stringless has a new favorite as of 06:39 on May 27, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also rapid and breathless works for that kind of joke - the joke is that they've opened up the floor to suggestions and are getting a flood of terrible ones. It's not supposed to be a full conversation, and doesn't need to follow the same rules.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When you try to open a pre-cut hot dog bun and it just rips all to poo poo

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Radio advertisements that include sounds of car crashes, police sirens, children screaming, etc. I've thought about calling the businesses just to tell them I'll never consider being a customer, but for all I know it's an "any engagement is good engagement" situation and that'll just make them want to do it more.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Dip Viscous posted:

Radio advertisements that include sounds of car crashes, police sirens, children screaming, etc. I've thought about calling the businesses just to tell them I'll never consider being a customer, but for all I know it's an "any engagement is good engagement" situation and that'll just make them want to do it more.

I was on a vacation recently driving a rented car, so getting GPS directions for anywhere I went, and there was an add constantly playing on Spotify that included fake GPS directions and it about drove me insane

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

El Cid posted:

I was on a vacation recently driving a rented car, so getting GPS directions for anywhere I went, and there was an add constantly playing on Spotify that included fake GPS directions and it about drove me insane

And you just kept listening to spotify for the duration?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

El Cid posted:

Just get a subscription you tight bastard

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I liked the days of Spotify where all Spotify ads were ads for Spotify

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Perfect Element posted:

Just get a subscription you tight bastard

For real the ten bucks for like any music I can think of, often sorted into decent community playlists and stuff, is a way better deal than any of the video services. There’s even some a audiobooks on there.

There’s even stuff like audiobooks on there

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think I lasted two weeks on Spotify before I gave in and started paying.

The ads were torture.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I will destroy Spotify.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YouTube is the worst with ads and I don’t feel like paying 16 dollars a month for it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's been DECADES and the meeting reminder in Outlook is still stupid:

"5 Minutes Before Start"
"0 Hours Before Start"
"5 Minutes"
"10 Minutes"

Change that first "Hours" into "Minutes," drat it! :argh:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I want to be reminded 0 hours/minutes AFTER start goddamnit

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Why is something with a quantity of 0 plural?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Teacher told me zero was intrinsically partitive, and English partitives are always in plural

Eg “I have some of the children”

If you say you have some of the child, you’re using bad grammar or mean “some of (the part[b]s[/s]) of the child” and are a cannibal

Is this true? Idfk but it sounds right. I dropped out of college.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I looked it up and found a way better answer than yours, which includes no mention of this word -- partitives :confused: :

Plural just means "not 1". Which explains why even -1 is plural.

e: what if I wanted to cannibalize multiple parts from multiple children?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

OK, but don't make a habit out of it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

InediblePenguin posted:

can you be more specific about what's weird about how they're talking in the clip? sounds like standard new yorker speech w/r/t timing and tempo to me but i'm quite likely missing what specific thing you think is unrealistic

Oh, sorry. I forgot to check back here for replies. "Rapid and breathless" pretty much covers it, but the person who suggested that it was New Yorker talking speed is probably right. I don't care for shows like Cloud Nine Superstore but the characters here aren't nearly as obnoxious as Aaron Sorkin style speak.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jun 2, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Superstore. Cloud 9 is the fictional store. (Sorry.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I don't notice it as much in like comedy shows, but that rapid-cutoff of audio and editing makes YouTube videos unwatchable, and a lot of podcasts unlistenable. I need to hear the breathing. YouTube videos are cut so that there isn't a loving .3 seconds of dead air, it makes every single video look like it took four hundred takes. It's jarring and awful and even without the audio thing that irritates me I don't know how anyone can watch them. But in audio it's so much worse. Interestingly; you can listen to a lot of long-running podcasts, and their earlier episodes will often be edited in such a way that there's no breathing at all. It's subtle, something in editing you might think is unnecessary and just takes up time, but that barely audible breath makes all the difference to me. Without it, my mind just feels like it's in constant restart-mode. Like every word feels like a weird word that just came out of a computer, not a mouth, with breath and warmth and air.

Please leave your breathing in. It's not worth it to save the .2% of time you get back by cutting out the very ends of sentences.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Teams: clicking anywhere in the calendar screen pops up a menu to create a meeting in that time slot. 96% of the time I'm clicking on the Teams window I'm doing so just to bring it to the front to look at my meeting schedule, not to set up another godforsaken time sink.

E: ^^^ yeah I haaaaate the YouTube editing style that cuts out everything over 350ms of dead time

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

Please leave your breathing in. It's not worth it to save the .2% of time you get back by cutting out the very ends of sentences.
I'd rather they cut the breathing than have that weird vocal fry-esque affectation where the last syllable of every sentence is three times longer than any other. Some dude's videos keep occasionally showing up as recommended and they seem right up my alley until I get a few sentences in and go "oh, it's this guy again."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The french subtitles of french dub Pokémon on US Netflix are the translation of the english dub, not direct subtitles of the French dub

Extremely niche extreeeeemeeeeely annoying, much like jelly donuts

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
That happens on tons of stuff and sometimes it's so egregious that it's obvious even when it's a language I don't speak. I've run into a lot of DVDs of old martial arts films where the only audio track is Mandarin but then the various subtitles are based on an English dub that isn't on the disc and has totally different lines and character names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just learned, "hentai" means like "transformation," which would explain why I frequently hear that word used in Japanese media and the subtitles don't seem to indicate any tentacle rape is afoot.