Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Push the boxes over and make an expensive mess. Have a meeting about it and identify the controls to avoid costing the company money.

4 day weekend (hopefully) so I don't have to worry about this bullshit for a while. I'll be out of town from Friday to Sunday so tough poo poo if he tries to gently caress with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's how you end up having to unpack all your bottles on delivery and store them all in milk crates.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I actually think storing them in milk crates might actually be more dangerous. Not that it'd stop a directive like that.

Edit: In theory. Sorry.. I'm so fried right now.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 31, 2023

.random
May 7, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

I don't think EFM was talking about moral incompetence.

Ahh. Yeah, my bad then :(

Good luck EFN, please don’t die from bad coworkers

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

.random posted:

Ahh. Yeah, my bad then :(

Good luck EFN, please don’t die from bad coworkers

If I do, remember that I posted.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Don't do that to yourself. That's not healthy.

Election day is always a long day. HQ in all their "wisdom" decided implementing tabulators and also a bass-ackwards new counting method for paper ballots was great to do at the same cycle. Nobody can go home until the count between issued ballots, received ballots and spoiled ballots balances correctly. We got it done, and done correctly but gently caress me was it unnecessarily arduous.

:words: to say this was a one-off thing and not me martyring myself

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Work is for loving chumps. I'm going to become a hobo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I worked a polling station one year, 5.30am to 10.30pm. It was a contentious year so we didn't have time to leave the desk from 3pm until close at 10. It was physically and mentally painful as a one-off and required a few days to recover, and it was still shorter than your day.

Did you at least get 10 hours overtime?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. I'm looking but it'll take a while.

Edit: Honestly though, I'll probably just end up somewhere with a different flavor of incompetence with the added bonus of less pay, harder hours, and/or a much shittier boss or bosses micromanaging my rear end and telling me to make beers for them based on vague premonitions they saw in a dream or some poo poo. This industry can really suck sometimes.

"I need a stout that tastes like lonely Tuesday afternoons when it's raining and I'm lost in the park, flavoured with my grandmother but she's looking away and every time I try to move in front of her she turns towards the wall and I'm terrified that she actually doesn't have a face and then I wake up. Also super hoppy."

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Atopian posted:

"I need a stout that tastes like lonely Tuesday afternoons when it's raining and I'm lost in the park, flavoured with my grandmother but she's looking away and every time I try to move in front of her she turns towards the wall and I'm terrified that she actually doesn't have a face and then I wake up. Also super hoppy."

So you want a standard APA, got it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"No, I want a stout."

*makes note to buy carbon black*

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atopian posted:

Weird to see my former boss posting here.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
loving paint3d just crashed because I asked it to colour a box blue. loving microsoft and their endless drive to make products worse.

E - sorry, that's not really a local company stupidity issue

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Is someone talking poo poo about Steve Apple ITT?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm getting increasingly frustrated and dismayed at the lack of established procedure and workflow at my new gig. Been here almost 3 months, this is an established engineering company in this industry, a company I was excited to join based on their reputation. The pay is great at $120k but the bosses are micromanaging, our manufacturing shop seems totally incompetent, and I'm being directed to change client-approved drawings before fabrication and submit half finished packages just to meet a deadline. The VP is butting in and trying to shave pennies here and there by reducing steel thicknesses and bolt sizes, apparently not realizing that any material savings are offset by the time it takes to re-design, re-engineer, re-draw, and re-submit drawings.

Ugh what have I gotten myself into here.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

loving paint3d just crashed because I asked it to colour a box blue. loving microsoft and their endless drive to make products worse.

E - sorry, that's not really a local company stupidity issue

Nm, it's a work issue now. Discovered I can't even send out colour images in official letters anyway because some ancient back end system refuses to do anything but pure monochrome.

Time to find some fill patterns that remain readable through low res dithering...

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the fact you can't edit pdfs for free on pcs like you can on mac will always baffle me

preview allows you to save and add your signature and edit anything you want and it comes standard in a mac

don't even get me started on how much more awful taking screenshots is on a pc vs a mac. multiple button clicks!!!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrangersInTheNight posted:

don't even get me started on how much more awful taking screenshots is on a pc vs a mac. multiple button clicks!!!

MacOS is still far superior for screenshots and basic PDF stuff, but Win10 now has win-shift-S to select a region and copy it to the clipboard.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
to the CLIPBOARD but then you still have to copy-paste it into paint and save it as a file if you want to attach it to poo poo *cries*

apple is one loving keyboard combo and the screenshot appears on your desktop ready to go

I work in a visual field so this actually has real serious effects on my ability to be productive, adding multiple button clicks for simple tasks slows me down a crazy amount. I once had to do QA for a learning website where they wanted me to send screenshots of everything I found wrong and they handed me a PC for it, which cut the amount of poo poo I was able to test in a day go down by at least half bc a screenshot and note break took more than twice as long as it would on a mac. That gig was the absolutely *worst*

Between that and watching artists who know keyboard shortcuts work like magicians at whip-speed, I'm definitely on the side of 'adding even an additional click to a task unnecessarily can actually have dramatic repercussions for the user over time, and specifically in productivity and timelines for an overall project'

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 31, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Between that and watching artists who know keyboard shortcuts work like magicians at whip-speed, I'm definitely on the side of 'adding even an additional click to a task unnecessarily can actually have dramatic repercussions for the user over time, and specifically in productivity and timelines for an overall project'
This isn't limited to just art-related stuff. We have a large international company we contracted with to "modernize" our old mainframe system. They decided that it would be fun to add buttons you need to click on and navigate with a mouse. Our front-line workers basically do data entry, but the people in charge then (and hell, now) either never did that work or it's been so long that they've forgotten what it's like. I said from the get-go this was dumb and bad, because you effectively don't want to take your hands off the wheel when driving. "Oh, what are you on about, it only takes a couple seconds do use the mouse." Yeah, but now do that 20k times and tell me how much time you've wasted. On top of that they also removed the ability to copy/paste notes, and some people's duties literally consist of writing the same thing over 500 times a day. Well, now make that 100 because they have to type it out every time.

When I said this is bad UI/UX design, the business side equivalent of a PM said, "what's UI/UX?" :commissar:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

the fact you can't edit pdfs for free on pcs like you can on mac will always baffle me

preview allows you to save and add your signature and edit anything you want and it comes standard in a mac

Windows + shift + s works for me.

Edit: f;b

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Microsoft deliberately make working with pdfs unpleasant because it's a document format they don't control.

Prove me wrong!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

SubponticatePoster posted:

"Oh, what are you on about, it only takes a couple seconds do use the mouse." Yeah, but now do that 20k times and tell me how much time you've wasted. On top of that they also removed the ability to copy/paste notes, and some people's duties literally consist of writing the same thing over 500 times a day. Well, now make that 100 because they have to type it out every time.

When I said this is bad UI/UX design, the business side equivalent of a PM said, "what's UI/UX?" :commissar:

yes this person at every company who intentionally complicates a system and then who says this can rot in hell. that poo poo adds up exponentially.

this kinda thing is especially galling if they're also doing any of the Time Doctor poo poo like some user had earlier in the thread. it's amazing how much a company will gently caress up their own poo poo then blame the workers for wasting time.

bitch you'd save more money just reducing the number of mouse clicks per user on vital tasks than hovering over people trying to squeeze productivity from every minute

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 31, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
my job right now pretty much only exists because our company has complicated simple tasks so much, someone is needed to handle the data hygiene bc the workers don't have the time in their day-to-day to keep everything clean and up-to-date. There's just too many competing systems to keep updated and they'd lose too much time from their actual jobs doing all this bullshit, so my job is just updating this poo poo for my coworkers.

It's kinda lol that my current position only exists because a series of assholes have complicated the system so badly a new employee is needed to straighten it out.

I'd normally say I'm riding this until they figure things out and fix their system, but we just merged with a megacorp and uh. Well, it doesn't seem like things will be getting any better or more streamlined anytime soon, let me put it that way.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Today was my usual in person department meeting. And as usual because I am in a specialized role, a topic wedged into the agenda that has zero bearing on me took up most of the time. So what was supposed to be the bulk of the meeting got compressed down to just 10 minutes in the end, and it’s probably a good thing.

Because today I got reinforcement that I am totally a jaded engineer. I am surrounded by young (or youngish) Project Managers who totally buy into the propaganda booklet my utility just put out with their plans going forward to meet the carbon neutral push by 2030. All the PMs speaking up are talking about how cool this is, and how they are giving specific details on how they are going to do things (not especially), and my jaded engineer mind is thinking, “ It doesn’t matter how much effort our utility puts into carbon neutral, if all the neighboring utilities do absolutely nothing about it”.

When I spoke up, I tempered my doom and gloom somewhat. Pointed out that it’s good the company is trying this stuff, but our neighbors need to be making progress as well. And that our odd location in the wholesale market may not help this push forever. All the wind farms are being built in Illinois to supply power to the East coast, not specifically to supply Chicago. And that grid congestion to the East of us will eventually shut down this construction boom that is occurring.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

to the CLIPBOARD but then you still have to copy-paste it into paint and save it as a file if you want to attach it to poo poo *cries*

apple is one loving keyboard combo and the screenshot appears on your desktop ready to go

ShareX does everything, if you're not using it yet. The way I have it set up is ctrl+shift+4 screenshots a region, like it does on mac, copies the screenshot into my clipboard and also saves a copy to my screenshot folder.

I have an archive of screenshots going back to June 2016 and some of those screenshots came in real handy when I needed evidence for my unlawful dismissal lawsuit :ssh:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I work with a client at work that loves me and openly hates when a coworker of mine gets put on tickets.

I got yelled at last year by upper management for that client giving a lot of bad ticket feedback despite none of it being on my tickets/work because I'm the expert (meanwhile this coworker is siloed off from me on another team and we're WFH so it'd be a legit hassle to keep up to date on if he's working on anything. I check up occasionally on him in teams and just get generic "things are going great, don't need help!")

My boss's boss contacted the client about the ratings and offered to pull me off their work and the client flipped their poo poo about it, which did end up getting me an apology and a pay raise.

Anyhow, today I got yelled at again for the same coworker loving up repeatedly...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Orvin posted:

It doesn’t matter how much effort our utility puts into carbon neutral, if all the neighboring utilities do absolutely nothing about it”.

The curse of the American electric grid with its hundreds of operators/utilities ranging from tiny town to ConEdison and other super utilities.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

armpit_enjoyer posted:

ShareX does everything, if you're not using it yet. The way I have it set up is ctrl+shift+4 screenshots a region, like it does on mac, copies the screenshot into my clipboard and also saves a copy to my screenshot folder.

I have an archive of screenshots going back to June 2016 and some of those screenshots came in real handy when I needed evidence for my unlawful dismissal lawsuit :ssh:

This is awesome to know but unfortunately it was a company machine I couldn't install anything on, and asking to have it installed wouldn't have gone over well considering I was a freelancer and the company had already reacted with suspicion to another program request I had. I was accidentally cc'ed on the email where they were like, freelancers steal information, we can't let them install stuff on the machines!!!

So yeh, thanks Apple, for just having that poo poo out of the box so I never have to bother IT just for loving screenshot tools and then be accused of corporate espionage.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

The curse of the American electric grid with its hundreds of operators/utilities ranging from tiny town to ConEdison and other super utilities.

I work for the somewhere between large and super utility. Only reason it isn’t solidly in the super is that while the umbrella corp owns multiple utilities, there is a large gap of states between it Midwest operations (where I work) and it’s East Coast operations.

At least the company is still attempting to hire people to fill the open spots. Can’t really retain people worth a drat, as they whittle away benefits slowly over the years. We just found out one of the senior level PMs is leaving because his wife got a new pharma job that has her traveling more than expected, and with 4 kids he can’t really handle dropping everything for storm duty 2 out of every 8 weeks (be on call for 12 hour shifts of quasi bullshit phone work).

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

I work in a visual field so this actually has real serious effects on my ability to be productive, adding multiple button clicks for simple tasks slows me down a crazy amount. I once had to do QA for a learning website where they wanted me to send screenshots of everything I found wrong and they handed me a PC for it, which cut the amount of poo poo I was able to test in a day go down by at least half bc a screenshot and note break took more than twice as long as it would on a mac. That gig was the absolutely *worst*

Can you install Greenshot? you can assign a keyboard combo to take a shot and auto save it in the format of your choice, and it also has a small editor that you can open the shot in to do things like cropping, adding numbers and such. Very valuable when I was making standard work and tip sheets. It's also free!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Haha thanks for the help everyone, I'm touched. I'm not at that gig anymore thank god, and I have a mac for work now. But again, I wouldn't have been able to install a program of any type - anything requiring an admin password was a no-go - but I could install browser extensions. Would there be any of those that function to make screenshotting easier on Windows if I find myself similarly hosed in the future?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just use windows’ built in snipping tool because then I can get the exact thing I’m trying to highlight, draw on it if I need to and then just click save or copy to do whatever with it

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

ShareX been my tool of choice for this sort of thing but that's been since before Windows screenshot tool got the way it is now.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

I just use windows’ built in snipping tool because then I can get the exact thing I’m trying to highlight, draw on it if I need to and then just click save or copy to do whatever with it

Yeah I found out about this at my current job and it's incredibly useful

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Executive in Denver put in a ticket because a scanner here in Ohio isn't working. That's the ticket. "Scanner in Ohio office isn't working". Also he set the priority level to 2 ( I think setting things to P1 requires two keys to be turned simultaneously after a few incidents of users setting it themselves).

I reach out to him to ask "Um... What scanner?" He tells me to IM another manager. Turns out the issue is not "this scanner isn't working" it's "this back-up scanner hasn't been installed yet because there needs to be changed to the network and no one's put in that change request". Also there's a ticket in process for the actual install. Cool, put all that in the ticket and close it because it's not our problem.

Executive IMs me 20 minutes later to berate me because "I can't believe you'd close a priority ticket and not do anything, this needs to be fixed today and we need all hands on deck." Even after I explained A) there's already a ticket, B) this needs the networking team who your manager said he's already working with, and C) in absolutely no universe is installing a back-up scanner (that you can't even tell me where it's at) a "high priority".

Guess I'll hear something from my boss in a few days when the exec bitches. :shrug:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Report him to HR for harassing you

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shoulda left the ticket open till it was installed and then close it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Shoulda left the ticket open till it was installed and then close it.

And then eat poo poo because it’s out of SLA? gently caress that tell the exec to shove it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Close all your tickets, turn off your laptop, get in your car, drive home