Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hope the game comes with normal sized cards and not the tiny nonsense you get in the base TTR set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I hope the cards are somehow smaller, and get progressively smaller as the game goes on

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"You have successfully made a train route around the whole map, allowing for a ritual that unlocks new power. Open packet 10. It contains The Helm."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
"The longest route is shorter than the longest route of the last game. The golden era is over, welcome to railway's long decline."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Hello, TG Board Games thread. I don't think I've posted here before but I've gotten really into Tabletop Gaming over the past couple of years! Last Friday I played Clank!: Catacombs which I enjoyed a lot - I'm a sucker for deckbuilders in general but I really like the addition of the tiles/map discovery mechanic. It makes trying to strategize your escape from the underground much more difficult and seems like it'll add a lot to the replay factor.

If you like that sort of addition to deckbuilders, you should take a look at The Quest for El Dorado, where you're racing to get your explorers to the end of a map before everyone else, using a deck of cards you add to over the course of the game. It doesn't have that map discovery (it's all visible at the start), but strategizing on the path you want to take, if you can block someone's path, and what kinds of cards you want to purchase add a lot of depth to what appears to be a simple game at first.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked up Beyond the Sun's expansion Leaders of the New Dawn last week. It's an expansion in a really literal sense. There's just more of everything. Two new factions, more techs, 4 errata'd techs, more events. There's a new module you can bolt onto the game too where you draft two leaders pre-game (a militaristic and a domestic) that give you more options or modify your setup.

It also has a fairly robust solo option. You set up a dummy color as an anarchist faction. This modifies setup with a customized set of events and an action deck for the anarchists. The anarchists also have a 13 doom discs. Events and anarchists cards can pull from it (and you can add it back sometimes) and they use it to colonize planets like the player. If they use all their discs, the game ends right there. The player can end it themselves if they meet certain criteria, like research a level 4 tech and colonize 2 planets. If the anarchists research a tech two things happen: they resolve the event in their favor (usually really bad for the player) and they earn a new, more powerful action card for their action deck.

Like a lot of worker placement solo games the dummy player acts like a clock. In this game it's a highly aggressive one. You have to beat the anarchists to techs so you can resolve events favorably, and you have to keep them from colonizing too many planets. You don't have a lot of room for error as the anarchists waste absolutely no time. You win if the difference between your score and the anarchist's is positive. Mostly, as it's a scale. If the margin is too small it's described as a draw. If you win by 8 or more you win the war. If you win by 14 or more you obliterated them.

I like this expansion and the solo variant is neat. This game is easily one of my top favorites from recent memory.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is summoner wars a good game? The reviews seem to like it and the master set 5 decks?) seems fairly cheap

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Is summoner wars a good game? The reviews seem to like it and the master set 5 decks?) seems fairly cheap

Good art, good components, clear rules, variety in the factions. I think it is the shallow end of the skirmish game pool, which is great or not great, depending on what you need.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

ilmucche posted:

It is a great game, assuming you like skirmish dice-chuckers as already mentioned but be sure to grab the 2nd edition. They cleaned up some of the biggest pain points of the game (like being able to kill your own guys to generate resources, weird) and rebalanced stuff too I believe. There is a fairly well done online implementation at https://summonerwars.plaidhatgames.com/ which I played with my friend quite a lot before I bought a physical copy. Good way to see if it's right for you.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just played Ethnos for the first time and was really impressed. Incredible amount of game in such a simple package. Could see luck being in an issue if you started taking it really seriously but the amount of strategy you can employ seems wild. Disappointed I never played it until today. The replayability and ability to scale up is off the charts too.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Morpheus posted:

If you like that sort of addition to deckbuilders, you should take a look at The Quest for El Dorado, where you're racing to get your explorers to the end of a map before everyone else, using a deck of cards you add to over the course of the game. It doesn't have that map discovery (it's all visible at the start), but strategizing on the path you want to take, if you can block someone's path, and what kinds of cards you want to purchase add a lot of depth to what appears to be a simple game at first.

Love El Dorado! I own it and we actually played it as our warm up game before getting into the new Clank! That's one that's probably never leaving my collection.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would like the ability to suplex train certs in the new TTR.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ilmucche posted:

It's very good and super easy to learn.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Stuff I played this week and last. This is a [game name, then paragraph] post:

Bites is a game where players control ants and eat food. Any player can move any ant and you score by picking up the food that... scores the most points. Which food scores the most point is dependent on the ruleset you're using (modular), and the scores will be determined by the placement of the food's corresponding ant at the end of the game. Cute little abstract; fast-paced, quick set-up, quick teach, plays five. Feels really solid as a cool-down or warm-up game before or after something(s) complex.

(I Forget the Name :v:) (Please help) Fresh Fish is a game where players reserve spots on a board, auction food stands, build food stands or picnic tables, and connect those stands to the corresponding trucks. Players cannot build trails - trails are built naturally by the closing off of the board. That is, if a new building or picnic table would, in combination with existing building or picnic tables, cause a section to not have a trail it instead creates a trail. You score points at the end of the game by determining the delta between money you have and total spaces of connecting trails, lowest score wins. I had a fair bit of trouble with the trail-making mechanic and during play we forgot to turn a square into a trail when we should've. Overall it's a very unique and rather complex game whose strategy remains rather opaque to me. It felt like too much brain-burn for the pay-off (not much of one)(to me). I might play it again but I'd vote to play something else over it first.

Santiago is a game where players claim spaces on a board in which to plant the crops on which they had just bid. The lowest bidder is designated the canal master. Crops that aren't irrigated will wither and eventually die, giving you less money/points. The canal master will decide what canal gets built for the round, any canal going off the starting point or a different canal. Because unwatered crops suck, the canal master will accept your bribes. Players can bid together on a single bribe and the canal master can outbid the highest of any bid to build whatever he wants instead. At the end, count up your crops and the highest score wins. This has an old-school wheeling and dealing feel with alliances and grudges forming and disintegrating quickly between rounds. It's more truly a negotiation game than anything else, and I found the key to my win to be predicated on schmoozing and denouncing. This is insanely up my ally, especially when compared to similar games. I'm excited to play this again!

Chicago Express is a train game. It's got stocks! It's got auctions! Build a route! Develop a square and increase your income! Try to get to Chicago? Maybe? Could work? At the end of the game, have the most money! It's got the same thing going for me that all trains games have - I might be having fun? Possibly? Hard to tell. I can't tell. I think so? I like the bidding on stocks part best - I had the most fun thinking about profitable bids, what shares I want to dilute, what shares I don't want to see diluted, etc. That was fun. Negotiation space is there but extremely limited as the optimal alliance is pretty clear/visible to everyone (determined by income for that company, shares owned, obviously). A lot of the hobbyists at the LFG enjoy the train games so I might as well, too. Can't see myself buying a train game, but sure, I'll play now and again. I like Chicago Express better than Age of Steam. Trying to remember if/what else Train I've played, blanking.

Tichu is a trick taking game with optional bids. It has poker elements for what cards can be played on a trick plus four unique cards with special effects. The whole deck is played and you will try to score the better part of 100 pts every round. If you call Tichu and go out first, you gain 100 points. Call Tichu and fail to go out first? Lose a hundred points. To start a round you'll be handed 8 cards - call Grand Tichu to gain/bust for 200 instead, but you only have 8 cards with which to do it. If you don't call Grand Tichu you'll get 6 additional cards. Give three cards away and receive three new ones. After all players go out, count your fives, tens, and Kings (worth 10), and add/subtract any special cards. Play to as many points or rounds as you want. I'm a big fan of trick-taking games usually and this is a fun take on the genre. Easy to learn, great pick and play game for gearing up or winding down. Or for around the table while sharing stories and/or drinks. Quality cardstock and nice art. Recommended!

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 31, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fresh Fish, sounds like.

Very good crop of games in that there post!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That's the one!

And yeah, this one guy who I hadn't met til last week (he had stopped coming to BGN due to schoolwork) has top-tier taste. That there list is entirely games he brought to BGN, actually (sadly, I don't think any of them are in the FLGS's playable collection).

Also just found out he has FCM and Great Zimbabwe, so I'll be looking forward to my first Splotter(s).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah this is someone who likes shared incentives, lots of interaction, enjoy. It's a great space to explore.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Fresh Fish is brilliant and probably my favorite Friese game but yea, you really need to understand expropriation because it's the heart of the game.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
One game I left off and haven't posted about yet, I don't think, was Urban Sprawl. It's a city-builder with elections. I had really a lot of fun with this but leaves you feeling pretty empty as it's nearly impossible to plan - too many changes between turns and a strong RNG factor. Made first-place feel not-entirely-earned. Would play again. Okay, that's all I can remember for now!

Edit: oh yeah I also jumped into a non-BGN Gloomhaven: JoTL campaign. Pretty cool but might not be my bag. I agreed to play the campaign anyway. Not going into detail as we haven't cleared the tutorial scenarios yet so, that wouldn't be fair, and surely everyone in this thread knows enough about G:JTL.

Edit 2: vvvvvvvvvvv

Oh jeez I didn't realize it was a grail game... this is terrible news!

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 31, 2023

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

to touch back on grail games, I consider santiago one (in north america at least). it’s in my top 10 favourites.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I found Lost Cities at a craft fair of all places, on one of those "random poo poo we found in our closet" tables, and brought it home. It's a good, quick two-player game. You play or discard a card, then draw a card from the deck or top of any suit's discard pile, and you're trying to build up the numbers of five different suits on your side of the table from 2 to 10. You can't play a card of that suit lower than one you already have, so sometimes you're stuck risking playing, for instance, a 6 and then immediately drawing something from 1-5. You can discard cards, but you might be giving your opponent the card they need. Strategy comes from mitigating the risk of "busting" and looking at what your opponent has played of that suit.

You score each suit at the end of the round by doing some math: (total value of all numbered cards - 20) multiplied by (# of investment cards + 1). The investment cards are technically zero, so you need to play them at the start of your pile or never; they're multipliers for your score, good or bad. Even negative numbers get multiplied, so you can screw someone over by holding the higher numbers of a suit in your hand while you see them play two investment cards and some lower numbers.

I bet its origins are from using a regular deck of playing cards. The cards are numbered 2-10, which are the numbered cards in a poker deck, and the investment cards were likely the jack/queen/king. Remove the aces, add a fifth suit, and that's the deck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you like Lost Cities you should really try Lost Cities Rivals. It eschews the hand management for an auction system that is fantastic, and plays up to 4. I think you can play it with the LC deck and some coin tokens but you'd have to double check the card distribution.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lost cities is timeless, I got tired of it after playing many dozens of times in college but still think it's great.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Arkham Horror core set for $12 today: https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgahc01.html

This is probably the original core and not the revised core set, so a player that wants the full suite of deckbuilding possibilities will want 2 copies. Still a great deal for $12 and a single set is totally viable to support 2 players to sample the included intro campaign.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

syzpid posted:

Are you sure your thinking of the right game? One Card Dungeon is a solo game and is just 1 card (with 8 levels, you flip & rotate the card depending on the enemies) and wasn't much fun after a few plays.

Whoops! Yeah, as others have mentioned, I meant One Deck Dungeon. It just popped out at me because it was on an end cap for $20, seemed like a fun compact game to take to the beer garden. Base game is 2P and you can buy another set to add stuff and bump it to 4P.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Lost cities is timeless, I got tired of it after playing many dozens of times in college but still think it's great.

I have never played a bad game by Reiner Knizia, but I have played too many games to enjoy Lost Cities Roll & Write much. The original is great, the board game adds some additional incentives to spice things up at the serious expense of table and shelf space, and Rivals is both smaller and better than the original.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gloomhavent Second Edition coming next year alongside the minis and RPG.

quote:

will feature "rebalanced and redesigned mercenary classes, items, and scenarios, as well as brand new artwork, newly written narrative and events, updated miniatures, a new faction-based reputation system, and more".

No word on the map book, give up hope.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm glad I'm not my group's Gloomhaven owner so I don't have to argue with myself over whether or not it is worth it to buy a 2nd edition. I'll just get to play it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
2e looks like a huge upgrade over 1e fwiw so I'm definitely in. Although I only played gloomhavend campaign once.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Bottom Liner posted:

One of the designers said it would come but after the Backerkit campaign

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

It's been publicly confirmed to be A Thing but won't be ready for the Backerkit campaign. Both Frosthaven and GH2 will get them. I think Frosthaven's is already being developed.

Shockingly, JotL-style scenario books with 100 scenarios and weird layouts are kinda hard to make. :v:

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 1, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So I ended up getting summoner wars second edition. Now need to buy a load of kmc perfect fits to sleeve the game up...

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ilmucche posted:

So I ended up getting summoner wars second edition. Now need to buy a load of kmc perfect fits to sleeve the game up...

Get clear sleeves for your summoners, a color for the starter gate and units, and another color for the main deck.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Or hear me out, no sleeves because it isn’t deckbuilder levels of shuffling…

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Snagged a copy of Beyond the Sun yesterday because my LGS had it 40% off and I had a gift card (it was between that and Twilight Struggle, but TS is more of a game I'd play with family that plays less often). Unpacked it and learned the rules yesterday and I'm more interested in it than I thought I'd be! The tech tree/worker placement system is pretty interesting, and the area control/claim system seems like it'll create some interesting and fun tension. Don't know how much table time it'll get since we already have too many games (and this one appears to have some overlap with Dune Imperium)... and we mostly play Eclipse anyway. Still, definitely seems interesting and having a fresh game is always fun.

Should we just go straight for the "advanced" rules? Or just go for the tech tableau with basic factions? My group definitely skews towards randomness reducing systems, and it doesn't seem like that complicated of a game. It seems to me, based on similar games, like we're really only going to play it that way, but it's hard to say if we'll be missing out on some fun/strategy if we skip straight past the "draw 2 pick 1" rule for new tech.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't like the tech tableau because it takes up so much table space and the game is already sort of a hog. I also like the simple 'draw 2 of a color and pick one to play' partially because drawing a tech isn't a winning move, but rather defines the flow the game is going to take. As for factions, the basic ones are homogenized with a slight varying start, which some people like more. The advanced ones have more mechanics to think about. And for what it's worth, if you ever pick up the expansion both new factions are advanced only, with no basic version. Which makes sense, why include essentially a 5th copy of a basic faction in a 4 player game.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

SettingSun posted:

I don't like the tech tableau because it takes up so much table space and the game is already sort of a hog. I also like the simple 'draw 2 of a color and pick one to play' partially because drawing a tech isn't a winning move, but rather defines the flow the game is going to take. As for factions, the basic ones are homogenized with a slight varying start, which some people like more. The advanced ones have more mechanics to think about. And for what it's worth, if you ever pick up the expansion both new factions are advanced only, with no basic version. Which makes sense, why include essentially a 5th copy of a basic faction in a 4 player game.

Yeah it's definitely a table hog so maybe we won't go for it. Also, I can see how letting the game be more random means there'll be more variety and more interesting things going on, so yeah maybe we'll just go for the advanced factions since they don't seem that complicated at all and the basic ones are pretty uninteresting.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's a great game but definitely a table hog as was said. It's on Board Game Arena if you want to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Cephalofair is streaming a demo of Gloomhaven 2e on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/cephalofair