Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Falling Frontier got a new trailer and it continues to look like incredibly my jam. Been waiting for something else to make space combat that reminds me of SoaSE.

https://twitter.com/stutterfox/status/1663392611166715904?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My one complaint is that the dev hired a new artist but I kind of think I prefer his own older, greeblier ship designs.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 31, 2023

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Mordja posted:

My one complaint is that the dev hired a new artist but I kind of thing I prefer his own older, greeblier ship designs.

I'm pretty sure it's because the older designs were all public domain/asset repository designs.

Falling Frontier ship:

Ship from an indie space RPG Between the Stars:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Also, go Hooded Horse. I feel like an appreciable percentage of the recent games I’ve really liked or upcoming games on my wishlist they’ve picked up to publish.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, Hooded horse seem to be really picking up those good indi games and giving them a platform.
I've been interested in Falling Frontier since it was first announced, it looks like a nice hardish sci fi game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, Hooded horse seem to be really picking up those good indi games and giving them a platform.
I've been interested in Falling Frontier since it was first announced, it looks like a nice hardish sci fi game.

It's getting to be uncanny tbh. Old World, Against the Storm, and Nebulous: Fleet Command (which is likely to overshadow Falling Frontier for me) have all been favorites... and every single one is published by Hooded Horse.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
hooded horse is like a dream to me. Like if i had a bunch of money and could jist bankroll cool video games, these are literally all the ones i would pick

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Turns out there was a long stream for Slitherine's Terminator game. It looks kind of like a Wargame title/World in Conflict.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0sbtNTNZs

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone playing Dune Spice Wars? New update brought out Conquest mode and it sounds cool af. I'm familiar with Northgard so I know how this dev makes their games but I've been waiting on it to get further in development before pulling the trigger.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Turns out there was a long stream for Slitherine's Terminator game. It looks kind of like a Wargame title/World in Conflict.

With FMV cutscenes? Hell yeah

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Rest in peace to Purple War: they shut it down because it wasn't profitable enough. Multiplayer servers will die in November, but you can still do the single player campaigns. I really liked the video game.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Sci-Fi, post apocalypse, single player Wargame? Wow!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone playing Dune Spice Wars? New update brought out Conquest mode and it sounds cool af. I'm familiar with Northgard so I know how this dev makes their games but I've been waiting on it to get further in development before pulling the trigger.

It's pretty alright, I never played Northgard but I enjoyed Spice Wars. That said, I'm a big nerd for Dune and I liked the graphics, and haven't seriously played an RTS since Dawn of War. So ymmv.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Oh this looks interesting.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2088550/Dying_Breed/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Rest in peace to Purple War: they shut it down because it wasn't profitable enough. Multiplayer servers will die in November, but you can still do the single player campaigns. I really liked the video game.

purple war

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Coders shouldn’t be allowed to name things

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Are those literally just Red Alert 1 assets (aside from the worms etc) or did they make their own copies?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

purple war

violent violet

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Pirate Radar posted:

Are those literally just Red Alert 1 assets (aside from the worms etc) or did they make their own copies?

They've got some slight differences. There's only so much you can do at that scale.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Pirate Radar posted:

nah they aren't, and having played & watched a bunch of dawn/ra1/d2k matches recently, actually not as close a style match as you're thinking

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I need some recommendations for nerdy strategy games on PC with good out of the box controller support.
It is for my father who is bedridden, and has to strain to play his normal games with keyboard and mouse. No mods or games where you need to keep a cheat sheet for the controller commands. Also, no anime games.

Here is a summation of his tastes:

I rarely play with controller, and when I do I go for a Disgaea or AW related game, which he doesn't like.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Does Tactics Ogre count as an anime game, because it loving owns

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Perhaps XCOM 2?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Perhaps XCOM 2?

If the controller controls are good, then yes that would be ideal.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

If the controller controls are good, then yes that would be ideal.

I don't play with a controller myself so can't confirm, but according to my google search it should be possible. https://xcom.com/news/controller-support-deployed-for-xcom-2-on-pc/

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Does Tactics Ogre count as an anime game, because it loving owns

this. if it helps at all the story is far more game of thrones-esque than whatever you'd think an anime story looks like.

warhammer 40k daemonhunter and mechanicus are also worth checking out. my friend played mechanicus entirely on the switch so i assume its controller controls are decent. daemonhunter is going to feel even more like "XCOM but with warhammer" so if XCOM2 is in competition i'd rec getting either that instead or checking out mechanicus.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm pretty sure Aliens: Dark Descent has controller support. I've been having fun with it and I think it falls under "strategy".

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

I need some recommendations for nerdy strategy games on PC with good out of the box controller support.
It is for my father who is bedridden, and has to strain to play his normal games with keyboard and mouse. No mods or games where you need to keep a cheat sheet for the controller commands. Also, no anime games.

I rarely play with controller, and when I do I go for a Disgaea or AW related game, which he doesn't like.

That's 20 thousand hours of gaming. I don't know if I'm impressed or what.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I wish my dad was even a hundredth that interested in gaming. Literally the only game (video or board) I've ever been able to get him to play is Wii Sports.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

How does he have only what looks like less than half the achievements for Europa Universalis with 12k hours played?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Banjo Bones posted:

How does he have only what looks like less than half the achievements for Europa Universalis with 12k hours played?

You have to play without mods, with some restrictive setup options, and in Ironman mode. The last is the real killer.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Banjo Bones posted:

You probably have to do something you don't usually do to get cheevos. Or maybe he only plays few countries.

Zurai posted:

You have to play without mods, with some restrictive setup options, and in Ironman mode. The last is the real killer.
Oh even worse :v

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

this. if it helps at all the story is far more game of thrones-esque than whatever you'd think an anime story looks like.

warhammer 40k daemonhunter and mechanicus are also worth checking out. my friend played mechanicus entirely on the switch so i assume its controller controls are decent. daemonhunter is going to feel even more like "XCOM but with warhammer" so if XCOM2 is in competition i'd rec getting either that instead or checking out mechanicus.

I will recommend Tactics Ogre, but on first glance it looks like the kind of game he dislikes.
That warhammer games also look nice.

Walh Hara posted:

I don't play with a controller myself so can't confirm, but according to my google search it should be possible. https://xcom.com/news/controller-support-deployed-for-xcom-2-on-pc/

I just tested it on my machine, and controller support seems to be pretty buggy. Half the search results are people complaining that some update broke controller support. And it only works if Steam is in Big Picture mode for some reason.

Funso Banjo posted:

That's 20 thousand hours of gaming. I don't know if I'm impressed or what.
He retired over 10 years ago, lots of time for gaming.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Jagged Alliance 3 just came out and it's pretty awesome as well. Imagine XCOM set in a '90s action movie.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

I will recommend Tactics Ogre, but on first glance it looks like the kind of game he dislikes.
That warhammer games also look nice.

I just tested it on my machine, and controller support seems to be pretty buggy. Half the search results are people complaining that some update broke controller support. And it only works if Steam is in Big Picture mode for some reason.

He retired over 10 years ago, lots of time for gaming.

Is steamdeck an option?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

VictualSquid posted:

I haven't tried Terra Invicta with a controller, but it's listed as Steam Deck verified at least. And between all the grand strategy games and >1000 hours in Xenonauts and Shadow Empire it seems like it might be up his alley.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

feller posted:

Is steamdeck an option?

Probably not. He just bought a new gaming laptop. And he also refuses to pay attention to any changes in how computers work, since around windows xp.

Are there even any games that would run better on steamdeck then on a laptop with controller?

Bremen posted:

I haven't tried Terra Invicta with a controller, but it's listed as Steam Deck verified at least. And between all the grand strategy games and >1000 hours in Xenonauts and Shadow Empire it seems like it might be up his alley.

He does own it, but he didn't enjoy it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, if he liked Xenonauts, the sequel just hit EA.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Mordja posted:

I mean, if he liked Xenonauts, the sequel just hit EA.

He is probably playing it right now.
But sitting up to play it normally is kinda uncomfortable for him, which is why I am asking for games with good controller support.

Sitting up is still probably easier for him then figuring out the controller controls for xcom2 or learning how to operate handheld console. Which is why I am asking for games with good controller support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Probably not. He just bought a new gaming laptop. And he also refuses to pay attention to any changes in how computers work, since around windows xp.

Are there even any games that would run better on steamdeck then on a laptop with controller?

Xcom2 does, so does every 4x. I’ve also heard good things about playing stellaris on it.

I think AoW4 is decent on a controller and might interest him.