Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

sebmojo posted:

i've seen people complaining about the graphics but I love the approach they've taken (they look modern, if chunky, from a distance, then when you get close it's all pixellated). it's a good combination of effective and nostalgic.

I restarted the game/looked through ini files/reinstalled a bunch of times trying to get it to recognize that I did in fact select high texture settings before realizing it was in fact a deliberate choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Back in my days we had our pixels crunchy and we liked it that way!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

garfield hentai posted:

I restarted the game/looked through ini files/reinstalled a bunch of times trying to get it to recognize that I did in fact select high texture settings before realizing it was in fact a deliberate choice

It's a bit surreal in the same way that most modern boomer shooters are where you have chunky pixels rendered in very high resolution. SM: boltgun gives me that feeling.

For SS they seem to have pulled it off fairly well though, it feels "right" in many ways. Another one of those "we updated it to look like how it was in your head when you played it 20 years ago" games.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

RandolphCarter posted:

Strongbad’s Cool Game For Attractive People is being delisted

thankfully it will forever live on my hard drive as a GOG offline installer

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

CuddleCryptid posted:

Another one of those "we updated it to look like how it was in your head when you played it 20 years ago" games.

30. 30 years ago. (well 29 but i'm trying to make a point)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ymgve posted:

thankfully it will forever live on my hard drive as a GOG offline installer

It'll still work and be downloadable if you own it on Steam, they're not removing it from people's accounts. poo poo like that is incredibly rare.
Hell, I don't think I've even heard of any games being removed from accounts after being delisted for whatever reason.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I bought & played them even though I'm not attractive, don't tell anyone

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
anyone seen this? looks pretty cool and just came out

https://twitter.com/StasisGame/status/1663953106961301532?cxt=HHwWuICw9ZyixpcuAAAA

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Looks like a really strong bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/must-play-metroidvania

Hollow Knight
Rain World
Blasphemous
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Lost Ruins
Lone Funtus
Haiku, the Robot

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Lunsku posted:

Looks like a really strong bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/must-play-metroidvania

Hollow Knight
Rain World
Blasphemous
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Lost Ruins
Lone Funtus
Haiku, the Robot
Hollow Knight Blasphemous and Bloodstained are three of the best in very distinct ways. If you're crazy enough to be missing two of them buy this bundle!!

(Rain World is very polarizing, I played on easy/yellow mode and had a good tome)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

No Wave posted:

Hollow Knight Blasphemous and Bloodstained are three of the best in very distinct ways. If you're crazy enough to be missing two of them buy this bundle!!
Oof, I bought it for Hollow Knight and Blasphemous--both of which I already have on Switch--and the 50% coupon. I have the others on Steam already, if only I had waited.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
That's a pretty interesting bundle in that there probably isn't a single person in the world that doesn't have one of HK, Bloodstained, and Blasphemous that doesn't also have the other two. Or maybe like 90% all three and 99.9% two of three.

edit: and Rain World owners absolutely have all three

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 31, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

OzFactor posted:

That's a pretty interesting bundle in that there probably isn't a single person in the world that doesn't have one of HK, Bloodstained, and Blasphemous that doesn't also have the other two. Or maybe like 90% all three and 99.9% two of three.

I own blasphemous but not the other two. But I don't like metroidvanias much so it's not really for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Waste of Breath posted:

I own blasphemous but not the other two. But I don't like metroidvanias much so it's not really for me.
hey everybody. this poster hasnt played hollow knight.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

edit: and Rain World owners absolutely have all three

I'm one of those people? I finished Hollow Knight on my Switch and just never got around to playing the others

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

No Wave posted:

Maybe I'll get into metroidvanias in my 40s. I'm sure it's great on steam deck but right now my deck is a SMT3 machine for whenever I finish my projects around the house and have an hour before bed.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

No Wave posted:

Hollow Knight was the point I made peace with myself that metroidvania’s just weren’t my bag. It absolutely was not enough to overcome whatever issues I had with the genre.

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did
Picked up Friends vs Friends because it's like $6 right now and I want with every fiber of my being to like it more than I do but progression and matchmaking just feels so poorly thought out it actively hampers my ability to have fun with it. For $6 it might be worth it though, especially if the devs fix the main issues.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SavageMessiah posted:

I'm enjoying the SS1 remake a lot. It's really obviously just SS1 but dejankified (holy crap was the original clunky) and prettified.
Really looking forward to it. I grew up on stuff like Ultima Underworld, but by the time I got around to SS1 (and could get it running on whatever more-modern-than-intended computer of the time) I found it far too clunky to enjoy.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Rain World is one of those games I really want to love, but I keep bouncing off it every time. I just can't seem to get a proper grasp of the slugcat controls and end up throwing sticks instead of jumping or falling down because I apparently forgot to jump. Add in the map that resets, the apparently-not-respawning food, shelter pressure, the (I think) little flower guide seemingly not guiding me anywhere and the (possibly patched since) latest map additions disappearing on death and I end up calling off every new attempt with a deep feeling of inadequacy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

Rain World is one of those games I really want to love, but I keep bouncing off it every time. I just can't seem to get a proper grasp of the slugcat controls and end up throwing sticks instead of jumping or falling down because I apparently forgot to jump. Add in the map that resets, the apparently-not-respawning food, shelter pressure, the (I think) little flower guide seemingly not guiding me anywhere and the (possibly patched since) latest map additions disappearing on death and I end up calling off every new attempt with a deep feeling of inadequacy.

Rain World is a game for people who are deeply unwell and it’s great.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

iirc (I never bought a pass), the gambling chits where "free" and so firmly fell into a "use them or lose them" category - people where spending them willy-nilly, even on doomed matchups. It was highlighted in that post as just another way the ceiling was lowered for non-payment progression opportunities.

In hindsight, they probably had to be implemented as such in order to avoid gambling laws.

I realize it wasn't real money gambling and why it was mentioned in the first place, but if we're talking about the ways this stuff is grossly manipulative and exploitative, straight up injecting more explicit forms of gambling is another good example! And even if you couldn't feed more money into the system directly, if I understand the concept correctly the tokens nonetheless have an implicit dollar value because they contribute to compendium levels which you can directly buy. I guess maybe your average player didn't care about them one way or another, but I'm having trouble seeing how they were truly frivolous if they fed right back into the money harvesting machine all the same.

Wanna say Dota 2 was also one of the earliest to make their loot boxes do the roulette wheel thing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Orv posted:

I loved Rain World and I binged it during the worst period of my life so yeah lmao fml

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I loved Rain World and I binged it during the worst period of my life so yeah lmao fml

Literally same! :respek:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Orv posted:

I am unwell and can confirm that Rain World rules.

Also the latest patch adds a bunch of deeply needed tutorializing (but maybe not enough, lol).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
gently caress everything with the rain deer, tho. Hate those assholes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s a garbage game for insane people and I strongly caution anyone against getting duped by this thread like I did

I have 800 hours in a different garbage game for insane people so that isn’t a condemnation of anyone who likes it, just don’t let them fool you

mystes
May 31, 2006

rain world looks interesting but also probably too creepy for me

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Bumhead posted:

Hollow Knight was the point I made peace with myself that metroidvania’s just weren’t my bag. It absolutely was not enough to overcome whatever issues I had with the genre.

Same, I enjoyed almost everything about it except not being able to figure out where to go next and just wandering around dying over and over til I got too annoyed. I did beat Metroid 1,2, and Super Metroid as a kid but I guess I don't have the patience in my dotage.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The best are the ones with elaborate lore-heavy wikis that I can read instead of playing them

EDIT That's snarky; I will buy that bundle with Blasphemous in it to make up for it.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 31, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

It’s a garbage game for insane people and I strongly caution anyone against getting duped by this thread like I did

I have 800 hours in a different garbage game for insane people so that isn’t a condemnation of anyone who likes it, just don’t let them fool you

Well now you have to say

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I've played their other games and they were great so I assume this will also be

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I still need to play Stasis and CAYDE. New one looks dope.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Disposable Scud posted:

I still need to play Stasis and CAYDE. New one looks dope.

very good games but they make me feel so dumb

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

FishMcCool posted:

I just can't seem to get a proper grasp of the slugcat controls and end up throwing sticks instead of jumping or falling down because I apparently forgot to jump.

Dunno if you want advice but:

-For the pounce, don't give any directional input until after you're airborne or it fails.
-Play on keyboard. If you're using an analog stick grabbing poles while jumping max distance will be inconsistent and the game asks you to do that a lot, usually while over bottomless pits.

Rain World rules, it's frustrating but it's also unique and satisfying.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i thought the ending of rain world was mediocre, but the ascent from the memory crypts to the top of five pebbles is one of my favorite sequences in any video game ever

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

love these guys

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Venuz Patrol posted:

i thought the ending of rain world was mediocre, but the ascent from the memory crypts to the top of five pebbles is one of my favorite sequences in any video game ever

Agreed, the ending falling flat is its biggest failing.

Behind the loving rain deer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'll say this for rain world, most people i've talked to seem to either love it or loathe it within the 2 hour demo window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blasphemous is a tough one for me. I actually made it past that gate at the bridge that needed three bosses dead, but then stopped because by then it didn't seem like the gameplay was ever going to get any faster

I'm spoiled by the likes of Hollow Knight, Metroid Dread, and Ori & the Will of the Wisps, in that regard - Blasphemous just feels kinda slow & clunky by comparison. I'm always on the lookout for Metroidvanias like those, that feel good just to control