Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I dislike the disasters for the Dwarovar, though. They're sort of interesting the first time you do them, but subsequent times you already know the correct plays because they're just wealth checks and they mostly just force you to put your game on pause for a bit while dealing with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They could probably use some tweaks yeah.

It seems like it would be easy to trigger the Hoard Curse if you just hoard gold from expeditions. I got up to 8K while still with less than 70 monthly income. And if all the other values are scaled to monthly/annual income, it seems like a pretty easy thing to deal with.

You can also probably gimmick it even more if you hand out monopolies to your estates, giving you large lump sums of gold instead of a ticking income. Not sure if the event values account for that or not.

On the other hand it also completely hosed my drunk dwarf attempt. Being forced to go into bankruptcy right next to The Command is not a fun time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is content under construction for the united dwarven empire tag.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Seriously though I would ask for some fun tag recommendations again. Because I've tried a bunch of them, and honestly, a lot of the stuff is not that great in my opinion.

Yeah I hosed up my first time as Gawed, but in general it's kind of simple, but also not very interesting or exciting, and gets pretty boring before 1700.

Corintar, adventurer countries are fun at the start, but if you don't speed run majority of your mission tree for the deluge and league war then it becomes totally meaningless. Like there's just nothing going on after that, consolidating Escann is kind of a big nothing tbh.

Same goes for Sons of Dameria tbh. Lots of narrative in their mission tree, but they have a lovely start compared to say Corintar, and the early missions are very frustrating and annoying. I honestly didn't get very far with them.

Varaine is surprisingly good yeah. But also incredibly dull and slow for huge chunks at a time as you wait for bad boy points to go down. Also the last third of the mission tree is designed entirely around having a bunch of vassals or colonies, and you should have been working towards that the entire time, and oh whoops if you didn't read ahead.

Humans in Bulwar are good fun, better than elves imo. Elves having to deal with vassal mechanics is annoying as poo poo. But unifying Bulwar is fairly simple and rewarding since you dominate a long trade route, a good time in general imo. But leaves large chunks of the game out since you're likely never fighting other major powers or colonizing.

Jaddari, I don't know. Everyone says they're good. But I think their mission tree is convoluted, and has a bunch of pitfalls. You need to read and plan ahead, honestly not a fan of having to go through something two or three times before you figure out what to do.

Dwarves are fun though. You really get some kind of sense of progression at the start. Although it's really impossible to tell which ones are the fun ones just by looking at them, especially since you don't even see the mission tree until you restore the hold. Although the Diamond Dwarfs up north, definitely seemed cool for the first 50 years or so that I've tried them.

Also yeah, someone mentioned that Anbennar starts out with even/fair balance for tags. And ooooh boy, I really have to disagree there. At least with stuff like Corintar starting out far far ahead compared to like Sons of Dameria, and I assume every other Escann tag. Or dwarven expeditions being entirely dependent on the RNG placement of expeditions at game start.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Also yeah, someone mentioned that Anbennar starts out with even/fair balance for tags. And ooooh boy, I really have to disagree there. At least with stuff like Corintar starting out far far ahead compared to like Sons of Dameria, and I assume every other Escann tag. Or dwarven expeditions being entirely dependent on the RNG placement of expeditions at game start.

One semi-cheaty (depending how you do it) trick with dwarves is to use the custom nation designer to start as an adventuring company in or near the spot you want to be. You can make your start as fair or overpowered as your initial points will allow, which can be helpful for getting off the ground if you're near the Command. Once you reform into the hold you want, you get the mission tree just like if you'd started as a "real" adventuring company.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

Seriously though I would ask for some fun tag recommendations again. Because I've tried a bunch of them, and honestly, a lot of the stuff is not that great in my opinion.

Yeah I hosed up my first time as Gawed, but in general it's kind of simple, but also not very interesting or exciting, and gets pretty boring before 1700.

Corintar, adventurer countries are fun at the start, but if you don't speed run majority of your mission tree for the deluge and league war then it becomes totally meaningless. Like there's just nothing going on after that, consolidating Escann is kind of a big nothing tbh.

Same goes for Sons of Dameria tbh. Lots of narrative in their mission tree, but they have a lovely start compared to say Corintar, and the early missions are very frustrating and annoying. I honestly didn't get very far with them.

Varaine is surprisingly good yeah. But also incredibly dull and slow for huge chunks at a time as you wait for bad boy points to go down. Also the last third of the mission tree is designed entirely around having a bunch of vassals or colonies, and you should have been working towards that the entire time, and oh whoops if you didn't read ahead.

Humans in Bulwar are good fun, better than elves imo. Elves having to deal with vassal mechanics is annoying as poo poo. But unifying Bulwar is fairly simple and rewarding since you dominate a long trade route, a good time in general imo. But leaves large chunks of the game out since you're likely never fighting other major powers or colonizing.

Jaddari, I don't know. Everyone says they're good. But I think their mission tree is convoluted, and has a bunch of pitfalls. You need to read and plan ahead, honestly not a fan of having to go through something two or three times before you figure out what to do.

Dwarves are fun though. You really get some kind of sense of progression at the start. Although it's really impossible to tell which ones are the fun ones just by looking at them, especially since you don't even see the mission tree until you restore the hold. Although the Diamond Dwarfs up north, definitely seemed cool for the first 50 years or so that I've tried them.

Baljirin is Haless is pretty fun - you tag team with a neighbor and let them run rampant over not-China while you desperately keep the Command/Rahen at bay.

Azkare is fun but it's kinda Haless' version of Jadd, but with a unique and kinda annoying culturally based parliament system.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean with any of this. Its not particularly difficult to dominate Escann as any of the tags even on VH, its not like there is an Ottomans sitting there with 20x your force limit. And expeditions are fun but not really game altering at all unless you are doing some sort of wildly min-maxing run.

The only real gently caress you tag is The Command

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 23, 2023

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

Did you...finish consolidating Escann? because there's a whole lot of stuff you can do when you win the wars of consolidation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Corvuria/Asheniande can be fun for vampire gameplay.

Grombar is old content but I love them.

Nuugdan Tsarai is great if you don’t make the classic mistake of forming Guuwamud before owning all of Yanshen.

The Raj starts in a hard disaster but is honestly very unique.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I thought I was using simple enough words, but if that's too difficult then I'll include some pictures too.

Here's the starting position of Corintar:

Now I can't imagine the AI is scripted to take advantage of it, but it has a ton of advantages there. The most obvious one is that it already starts with Tier 4 government reform. It even has the reform you need, end the green tide. Now the setup here is pretty clear, once you have some understanding of how these mechanics play out.

Settling forces you to claim all the tribal land around you at a huge gold and administrative power cost

If you were to settle right now, it would cost 500 gold and 250 administrative power because the starting area is surrounded by 5 greentide provinces. But luckily you start with "end the greentide" reform. This lets you fight two or three quick wars and claim all the territory around you. After which you're free to settle without any penalties for 50 government reform.

You also start with a free tier 2 trade node, so you don't want to migrate because you'll lose that if you do. It's a pretty nice start.

Where's other adventurers start like 20 years behind or something

Whether this matters or not is obviously subjective. But honestly, I'm not sure why you even wanted to argue this point but I hope it's clear now.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnoHito posted:

Did you...finish consolidating Escann? because there's a whole lot of stuff you can do when you win the wars of consolidation.

Yeah, that was one of the screenshots above.

Finished the tree and got the little bit extra at the end there to the south west. I stopped because there wasn't anything left to do besides wage holy wars against the court or ravelians, or maybe just absorb Grombar. Although I'm not sure why I would really want to do the latter unless I also wanted to fight Gawed over the Bay of Chills trade node right after, and maybe forcefully convert them.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Finished the tree and got the little bit extra at the end there to the south west. I stopped because there wasn't anything left to do besides wage holy wars against the court or ravelians, or maybe just absorb Grombar. Although I'm not sure why I would really want to do the latter unless I also wanted to fight Gawed over the Bay of Chills trade node right after, and maybe forcefully convert them.

My guy you are deep into the endgame of EU4, the things to do are finish up your achievements or WC. Unless you are picking one of the WC tags its time to start a new game

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, I kind of ended that game on saturday I think, and started messing around with the dwarves some more.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

When they say this, they mean it's even/fair relative to vanilla. Development tends to be distributed a lot more evenly in Anbennar between tags, and the location of majors/minors is coordinated in such a way that almost every start has neighbours/rivals at relative parity. Snowballing of any AI tag can and will happen rapidly with the right settings and circumstances, and especially if that tag has missions with a lot of free permaclaims. There are very few tags which, to survive and succeed at, require multiple start reloads at Hard/Very Hard to roll the necessary attitudes/actions from neighbouring great powers/overlords. In vanilla EU4, it isn't (or at least, wasn't) the case that these applied, and many starts rapidly became super piss easy as campaigns after the first few decades or were tedious as hell to get off the ground.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nuugdan Tsarai is great if you don’t make the classic mistake of forming Guuwamud before owning all of Yanshen.
Ah, the all conquering nomadic horse lords versus uh whatever the command is.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

whatever the command is.

goblin prussia

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lostconfused posted:

Ah, the all conquering nomadic horse lords versus uh whatever the command is.

Bird lords*

cock hero flux posted:

goblin prussia

Bushido goblin prussia

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're not bird lords until someone imports a chocobo model to replace the cavalry.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tragically this is not top priority because the people who can do 3d modelling are all furries, gnolls will get culture specific models before the special human cavalry get anything.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Haha. Just realized that, as a pirate republic (and presumably other tags with coastal raiding), if your own/your subjects' provinces are currently occupied by an enemy, you can raid them.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks to everyone in the thread who offered suggestions on interesting villainous nations to play in Anbennar. I have posted the preliminary poll for the next playthrough in my LP, if people are interested in participating in choosing the flavour of evil.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

What the person you responded to was talking about was forming Castanor which has a whole extra mission tree, but you can only form it if you unify Escann before the end of the Wars of Consolidation. You'd need to start again if you want to see Escann's second act.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Log082 posted:

One semi-cheaty (depending how you do it) trick with dwarves is to use the custom nation designer to start as an adventuring company in or near the spot you want to be. You can make your start as fair or overpowered as your initial points will allow, which can be helpful for getting off the ground if you're near the Command. Once you reform into the hold you want, you get the mission tree just like if you'd started as a "real" adventuring company.

There's a trap here, unless you do save file modification you won't get the national ideas of the country you form. The dreamer dwarfs actually require their national ideas to do their mission tree (they need marines and the ideas give them free sailors to be able to do that). Plus you miss out on the writing on the ideas.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The easier thing to do with the Rahen dwarves is just to do a hellwar against the Command beforehand and kneecap them from the start ; or start as the command, conquer the red tag that spawns the dwarves, then collapse your whole economy etc and release + play as the red tag.

In both cases get the command to release Stolen Gem. They'll never re-ally them and they're easy to conquer alone, which gives you a free hold.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Red Bones posted:

start as the command, conquer the red tag that spawns the dwarves, then collapse your whole economy etc and release + play as the red tag.

this probably comes under etc but don't forget to make sure you have enough AE to get all of haless and rahen in a coalition against you before you release and tag switch

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So if I own every expansion before Domination - is Ming supposed to have a generic Mission Tree? It's funny to look through your tributaries missions and see that even the smallest nations get a lot of unique stuff, but Ming doesn't.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ilitarist posted:

So if I own every expansion before Domination - is Ming supposed to have a generic Mission Tree? It's funny to look through your tributaries missions and see that even the smallest nations get a lot of unique stuff, but Ming doesn't.

Yeah, they had nothing before the newest DLC.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
do you get the really bad events for having *over* 100% overextension or *at least* 100% overextension

asking for a friend

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

At least

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they start at 101 actually

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can confirm, it's OVER 100% that causes the bad times

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I would argue that if you're at like 105 % the events are perfectly manageable. It feels like the higher over the limit you are, the worst the events get and they happen more frequently.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I ended up not releasing anyone and can also confirm that at exactly 100% it was completely fine. I thought I'd be at 101% after my second peace deal and be able to concentrate dev to be under, but I misdid my math and was at 111% before concentrating, resulting in an exact hit on 100

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember to not acknowledge the events when they fire and to let them time out. they can't fire while they're already on the screen unless they changed that

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I swear to god I’ve had them fire at exactly 100% because I remember looking at the peace screen asking the same question and saying “okay let’s find out” and starting getting the events. I guess they changed it at some point, or maybe it was some weird scenario like it was 100% when I made the peace deal and then event bumped dev up by 1 in one of the provinces putting me over

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Wafflecopper posted:

I swear to god I’ve had them fire at exactly 100% because I remember looking at the peace screen asking the same question and saying “okay let’s find out” and starting getting the events. I guess they changed it at some point, or maybe it was some weird scenario like it was 100% when I made the peace deal and then event bumped dev up by 1 in one of the provinces putting me over

From memory the trigger is being at or above 100.1%

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Just lol if you’re not riding loose through events at 160% OE. That poo poo fades quickly in comparison to the AE juggling required for being lower.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Picking Anbennar back up, I see there's a "disable region" option on startup. Wouldn't disabling most regions gently caress up the balance, such as it is?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

A little yeah but it also does wonders for performance if you’re on an older system. It’s not like Haless has a huge influence on your run if you’re playing in the EOA for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jay Rust posted:

Picking Anbennar back up, I see there's a "disable region" option on startup. Wouldn't disabling most regions gently caress up the balance, such as it is?

I’d assume it’s for MP, disabling big chunks of Asia can improve performance a ton for regular EU4.