Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Zedhe Khoja posted:

lol Kabul is and Baghdad are more lit up than Istanbul or Rome.

i think its funny that india is by far the biggest ufo country outside of the anglozone + belgium and the netherlands. looks like the aliens mostly live where english speaking people live. i wonder why!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe they are calculating unemployment differently.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i think its funny that india is by far the biggest ufo country outside of the anglozone + belgium and the netherlands. looks like the aliens mostly live where english speaking people live. i wonder why!

E.T. is real and he's hindutva

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

E.T. is real and he's hindutva

ET jai hind

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

fart simpson posted:

PK is a documentary

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

This thread is for the discussion of political matters we have an entire ufo thread you can ask please stay on topic

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

I mean it's NYT, but what the gently caress is this guy talking about. I'm in China right now and there's been no increase in surveillance compared to three years ago.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I mean it's NYT, but what the gently caress is this guy talking about. I'm in China right now and there's been no increase in surveillance compared to three years ago.

he says

quote:

Just taking a short train ride required passports to be shown and scanned, both on entry and on exiting.

which yeah three years ago you didn’t need to show id to ride the high speed train? get out of here lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ethancpaul/status/1664033021475913733

frankly I'm amazed that anyone would still think of picking up Gordon Chang as an adviser. Like even if you were going for the Sinophobia angle surely there's some other China Watcher out there with marginally more heft, chops, gravitas?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

frankly I'm amazed that anyone would still think of picking up Gordon Chang as an adviser. Like even if you were going for the Sinophobia angle surely there's some other China Watcher out there with marginally more heft, chops, gravitas?

you are speaking about a man who decided to announce his presidential candidacy on twitter as his first choice of platform

in audio only format of all things lmao

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

fart simpson posted:

he says

which yeah three years ago you didn’t need to show id to ride the high speed train? get out of here lol

I kinda vaguely remember it being worse three years ago? Because I swear the little scanners didnt use to scan passports and so you'd always have to manually do it with the guy, and then I dont think foreigners could use e-tickets back then.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BrainDance posted:

I kinda vaguely remember it being worse three years ago? Because I swear the little scanners didnt use to scan passports and so you'd always have to manually do it with the guy, and then I dont think foreigners could use e-tickets back then.

correct

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gradenko_2000 posted:

making consistently wrong predictions about china for 30 years = china expert

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

fart simpson posted:

he says

so why exiting? is that normal everywhere? i've never trained

feels like casually showing my id to the flight attendant as i leave the plane

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Oglethorpe posted:

so why exiting? is that normal everywhere? i've never trained

feels like casually showing my id to the flight attendant as i leave the plane

in the olden days you'd have a paper ticket and you'd need to validate your ticket at the turnstiles when you boarded the train and also when you got off the train. and later they gave the option of using your ID as a kind of e-ticket, so you can just buy a ticket online and use your ID and you dont need to bother with printing out a paper ticket anymore because the system has your info already. so nowadays pretty much nobody bothers with paper tickets anymore because it's just more convenient to throw your id card or passport on the scanner and walk through the gates

e: and the reason you show your ticket to leave the station is basically to check that you didnt stay on the train past your station. if you did that you need to pay a fare difference because going farther is generally more expensive

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 05:46 on Jun 1, 2023

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

fart simpson posted:

in the olden days you'd have a paper ticket and you'd need to validate your ticket at the turnstiles when you boarded the train and also when you got off the train. and later they gave the option of using your ID as a kind of e-ticket, so you can just buy a ticket online and use your ID and you dont need to bother with printing out a paper ticket anymore because the system has your info already. so nowadays pretty much nobody bothers with paper tickets anymore because it's just more convenient to throw your id card or passport on the scanner and walk through the gates

e: and the reason you show your ticket to leave the station is basically to check that you didnt stay on the train past your station. if you did that you need to pay a fare difference because going farther is generally more expensive

more expensive for the train? how much fuel does 150 lbs use

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Oglethorpe posted:

i dont know what to tell you buddy. thats just how transportation ticketing generally works

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

probably generally cumulative weight for all passengers per person per periodical distance. i guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

More expensive in that you're taking up a seat someone else could be paying for

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
They have to account for fat Americans that RUIN the chairs

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
its never occurred to me to question whether a train ticket cost should increase as the distance traveled goes up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Delta-Wye posted:

its never occurred to me to question whether a train ticket cost should increase as the distance traveled goes up

me neither

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

It's 2023 so now that I think about it more 3 years ago was pretty much the single worst time to ride a train as a foreigner.

I once took the train back from Kaifeng around one of the holidays, they let me board everything was fine. I get back to the city, I get off the train, it's COVID stuff so I had to scan the little QR code. But when I did, they had updated or changed something and for those few days the one we used in this city would only accept a Chinese ID number. Passports were no longer an option.

So, without that, I couldn't just leave the little section in between the train and the rest of the station. I couldn't get back on the train, and it's not like I would want to. It would have been like that movie or something where the dude has to live at the airport except in real life that would be insane in this kind of situation. So eventually after just standing there for a while, and explaining it to the guards, and everyone else went through one of the guards was just like "Yeah that's a weird situation. Ok, whatever, just go through I guess."

Not really an exciting story or anything interesting about it at all, but it just kinda sucked more than riding the train now in 2023 where I dont think getting stranded in the space in between the train and the station happens all that often.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

and yet now im wondering how much it could cost to ferry ~1/2 a goon a few extra stops

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ughhhh posted:

Wonder if the youth unemployment has anything to do with all the Chinese international students in the US going back.

its a country of 1.4 billion people. That isn't going to swing the needle either way.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

fart simpson posted:

We take chariots of the gods a bit too seriously.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3222117/brutal-us-china-tech-war-what-goes-around-comes-around

quote:

China has been looking for suitable targets. Micron is almost the lone big chip player in the US to have not only launched multiple intellectual property lawsuits but also frequently lobbied Washington against China.

By doing so, Micron bosses calculated that it could expand its sales dominance in China while deterring Chinese firms from developing their own chip-making capabilities.

In the past five years, records show that Micron has lobbied the US government at least 170 times to raise questions about China’s competition. Some Chinese memory chip makers put on Washington’s blacklist are either direct or potential competitors of Micron. Such tactics have backfired.

Oh, so this also a reason China has banned Micron products.

They thought they could crush the competition by lobbying for US actions that targeted their competitors, but got swept out of the Chinese market instead.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Delta-Wye posted:

Trains should be free.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

Trains should be free.

Walking along making choo choo noises is the sacred right of any free individual.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao people here asking if going a longer distance on a train costs more.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3222117/brutal-us-china-tech-war-what-goes-around-comes-around

They thought they could crush the competition by lobbying for US actions that targeted their competitors, but got swept out of the Chinese market instead.

lol at also telling korea & japan not to sell to further incentivize domestic production in china

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I rarely open twitter and barely follow anyone, so my feed is usually influenced the most by whatever twitter links were posted elsewhere I read. Today, Twitter decided to welcome me with this:

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1664064390918995968

my dad has issued a correction as of 10:13 on Jun 1, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

western corporation fucks around in country with a government that actually can do poo poo, makes shocked pikachu face when they find out said government doesn't just take their bullshit

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also I found out this Harvard pita guy said Thailand should abandon the already under construction Chinese HSR and build hyperloop. Okay that's it, this guy is 100% a Guan Guaido. I foresee unrest in the next 2, 3 years

Edit, also these Thai last names are crazy. How do you pronounce Juangroongruangkit.

Was this Pita's plan or this Juangroongruangkit guy? I can't find any sources saying that Pita supports hyperloop

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

my dad posted:

I rarely open twitter and barely follow anyone, so my feed is usually influenced the most by whatever twitter links were posted elsewhere I read. Today, Twitter decided to welcome me with this:

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1664064390918995968

Here's the real little mermaid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VCe3Iz-ieE

(warning: a bit of burning actors in a movie scene, not real, in case anyone doesn't like that sort of thing)

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1662285440974733313

finally, we've discovered the cost of those bridges

That's an expensive bridge! I bet there's no reason to build it.

CNN posted:

Austin Strange, who specializes in Chinese foreign policy at the University of Hong Kong, said the new bridge would no doubt bring “real economic value” by drastically reducing commute times between the cities while also cutting traffic.

But he said there was a secondary dimension, too, likening it to China’s efforts with its Belt and Road Initiative, in which Beijing is spending billions on funding infrastructure projects like ports and roads in countries across the world.

That project is widely seen as an effort by China to boost its economic and political clout on the world stage, with some critics accusing it of gaining leverage over smaller countries by extending loans they cannot hope to repay.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fits my needs posted:

lol at also telling korea & japan not to sell to further incentivize domestic production in china

What's stopping Samsung and SK Hynix selling to a shell company in Singapore and flip them to China? This is so stupid. Worse case scenario you have the Russian oil sanction situation, which is so leaky its legal for Greek/Indian companies to flip oil for Russia for little profit.

I have a theory, US has never had effective banning of any physical product, doesn't have the culture for it. This goes back to the banning of alcohol to the modern day banning or all kind of narcotics. The government just have illegal substance law to target certain minorities. Like I can easily buy camera gears from Canada without paying custom and tax. Every non US country I know have effective charge of custom because its the easiest thing to implement but the US can't do it.

So in conclusion, any US banning or sanction of physical products is completely toothless.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Yossarian-22 posted:

Was this Pita's plan or this Juangroongruangkit guy? I can't find any sources saying that Pita supports hyperloop

I looked around and realize it was this guy who said it, but it gets funnier the more I look into it. This guy has completely identical lore to the Pita guy. He is a different Something forward party founder, who is the son of a billionaire, who also became the head of his family's mega corporation after his dad died, who is also 40-something with US elite education. The only difference is he went to NYU instead of Harvard.

So to summarize, Pita guy - Harvard - non spiky hair - divorced with a daughter
guy with long name banned by the constitutional court (all political reporters breath a sign of relief) - NYU - spiky hair - married w 4 children - ethnic Chinese background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

fart simpson posted:

he says

you still had to show your passport and have it scanned/recorded when picking up a physical ticket 3 years ago. Now foreigners can use their passport as a a ticket saving them the hassle of queuing for a ticket at the actual train station. in addition I’m pretty sure three years ago you still had to show passports to pass security check at the HSR stations.