Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Pan Dulce posted:

"Hello, goon who's just gotten out of prison. You know what you should check out? Crime."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

harveys zoo zoos posted:

it's okay. i get it, and i know worse advice has been given by supposedly competent lawyers

not mine though. i had a decent team and they handled it just about as good as they could. i'm not sorry to say i don't have any horror stories about that haha

I was curious about this aspect, was your sentence the result of a plea to avoid the death penalty (also I guess answering this will narrow down what states you could be in so don't answer if you don't want to) or did you go to trial?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hey, a while back you mentioned a massive prison riot after the free weights were taken away. Did you get them back?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

harveys zoo zoos posted:

it's okay. i get it, and i know worse advice has been given by supposedly competent lawyers

not mine though. i had a decent team and they handled it just about as good as they could. i'm not sorry to say i don't have any horror stories about that haha

This is a really good question that I use in interviews and always prompts good introspection from the person and think it’s appropriate here: if, let’s say tomorrow, the President or governor or whomever said “Harvey Zoo Zoos, we appreciate that you served your time. We would like to make you the Head of Federal Bureau of Prisons (or whatever the equivalent of where you stayed.)”

What would be the first thing that you would change or work on?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think something like 30 states still had the death penalty in the 90s, but it's absolutely sound advice to be wary of giving out too many details even if they are seemingly unrelated. People have gotten pretty good at doxxing people via what is essentially a game of guess who. You can narrow things down with each new bit of information.

Tangentially related, but geoguessing is kind of a cool trend, and people who are good at it can look at a picture of a place and narrow it down to scary close ranges, I've seen people guess down to the street with almost no obvious information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p5Eb4OSZCs

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

So in between the ceaseless recommendations of media and the even more ceaseless sniping about media recommendations, I'd really like to hear any of OP's further reflections on life on the outside.

I'd like to hear more about this too, if you don't mind sharing. I am very happy that you're out and doing well

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

harveys zoo zoos posted:

Brass loving balls, gentlemen. Just try to get under this guys skin. You can't!

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Dark Off posted:

yeah but the new thing is that scams can have billion dollar funding now. You cant trust the funding to be asecurity against a scam.

a co-founder of amway became head of the national chamber of commerce in 1980

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

sticksy posted:

This is a really good question that I use in interviews and always prompts good introspection from the person and think it’s appropriate here: if, let’s say tomorrow, the President or governor or whomever said “Harvey Zoo Zoos, we appreciate that you served your time. We would like to make you the Head of Federal Bureau of Prisons (or whatever the equivalent of where you stayed.)”

What would be the first thing that you would change or work on?
Personally I'd install lunk alarms in the prison gym

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

harveys zoo zoos posted:

hey yall i got the job at the junkyard. i start saturday. i'll be splitting time between there and the recycling center. they take stuff that's hard to recycle like batteries and electronics, paint, oil, stuff like that

i might also get a part time job at a storage facility, cleaning out storage spaces that have been closed for non payment

That's awesome to hear. I've been really enjoying your posts and glad to have you here with us!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Giving "ironic" bad advice to someone intentionally because they might be less equipped to be able tell the difference should be a bannable offense imho, and something really has to be broken inside of you to think that's funny or even okay.

durrrr

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I mean jesus man this was clearly directed at the dorks writing screeds for op as if he's a newborn baby, not op himself

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

he is reborn, and he will be bathed in Star wars

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

OP you can see a lesson here already, certain topics are guaranteed to lead to lengthy argumentative derails, Star Wars being one of the prime topics to avoid.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
OK to talk about circumcision though

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
What was prison like when the dot com bubble burst?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

DeeplyConcerned posted:

OK to talk about circumcision though

Circumcision is fine!!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

harveys zoo zoos posted:

Adding to what people are saying about money definitely talk to someone you trust before making a big decision. Even to give some away. People have mentioned how cons have evolved but it’s hard to really understate how entangled they are culturally. Crypto people make themselves known for example, but you also start seeing big news companies start to push them (usually starts as them giving their crypto stories to knucklehead interns who surprise surprise are pro crypto) but you also see people lose investments from “legitimate” sources like pensions and none of them who put money in even realized where it was going

There’s also AI poo poo now but even we’re still wrapping our heads around it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This also extends to the wages your boss is paying and how you’re treated at work. Definitely tell your people about it to make sure theyre being fair

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
were there any rich fuckers in jail with you? any yuppies?

were there any people in there that you are certain were not guilty of the crime they got convicted for?

how about pacifists, buddhists, hippies, non-violent offenders?

there is a thing now called Podcasting which is just internet radio shows. there are a trillion but I thought I'd share some you might enjoy:

Ear Hustle is a podcast produced by prisoners and it is really good
Chapo Trap House is very funny and informative politics and culture poo poo
Lever Time is really good independent news poo poo
Death Panel is about the health care and prison systems

You can google them or look them up on spotify to listen

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

did u ever meet any of the jokers henchmen/women?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

There’s also AI poo poo now but even we’re still wrapping our heads around it

Yes, even us, the sage arbiters of knowledge from the pigs huge balls website.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

Yes, even us, the sage arbiters of knowledge from the pigs huge balls website.

The balls are bigger now

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hi harvey, Welcome to the outside world!!!

Anyway, you might not know about this but let me recommend my favorite twitch big tiddy anime vtuber:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
star wars fell off but fast and furious became what star wars once was...

family

and i guess they went to space in the last movie

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Whoever suggested that bird app it's pretty dope. Thanks!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
George Lucas sold the Star Wars franchise to Disney, which immediately commenced their tried and true method of driving a successful franchise directly into the ground at high speed to allow them to make a bazillion gazillion quadtrillion dollars from grown nerds who crave Star Wars 24/7.

Perfectly executed IMO.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AcidCat posted:

OP you can see a lesson here already, certain topics are guaranteed to lead to lengthy argumentative derails, Star Wars being one of the prime topics to avoid.

Every time OP posts a question like that my jaded internet brain thinks: "this is too perfect of a question. OP must be doing this to get goons riled up for pages and pages"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Every time OP posts a question like that my jaded internet brain thinks: "this is too perfect of a question. OP must be doing this to get goons riled up for pages and pages"

i liked the cover of one of the new star wars movies so i gave it a try

it was called the last jedi. it was pretty good. what did you guys think

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Welcome, OP. Professional wrestling still exists and it's better and dumber than ever before!

Enjoy your time out, have an oreo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

By the way Harvey, I don't know if you noticed or anyone told you already, but when people say OP in this thread, they mean you. It refers to the poster who opened the thread. Sorry if you already knew that.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Toxic Mental posted:

Hi harvey, Welcome to the outside world!!!

Anyway, you might not know about this but let me recommend my favorite twitch big tiddy anime vtuber:

:sweatdrop:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I give last jedi points for actually trying to do something different with star wars, structurally it was a bit of a mess but I'd rather something interesting that doesn't fully succeed than just the safest, most boring films over and over

Glad to hear you're doing okay on the outside Harvey

Lots of people have asked about prison lingo but do you feel the way people on the outside talk to each other has changed from what you remember?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Lister posted:

i liked the cover of one of the new star wars movies so i gave it a try

it was called the last jedi. it was pretty good. what did you guys think

I'm more of a Star Track guy. That JJ Abrams, he makes a good Star Track film for sure.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The last good Star Trek movie was the one with the whales in it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Another thought wrt media recommendations: take it all with a grain of salt, especially the negative reviews. People have gotten both a lot more demanding and critical, but also a lot more savvy/knowledgeable. With YouTube media criticism has become a pretty big thing, so a lot of people are educating themselves and are more aware of bad writing, editing, etc, and much less forgiving. Of course there's also the culture being steeped in media for three additional decades so it's advanced a lot generally.

What I'm saying is that because you lack that experience, a movie that most of us would consider subpar could still be very enjoyable for you. I think most stuff released now that we'd consider bottom of the barrel is still better than a lot of the stuff we enjoyed in the 90s.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
OP - check out a book called Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy if you haven’t. Not new, just good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Taeke posted:

Another thought wrt media recommendations: take it all with a grain of salt, especially the negative reviews. People have gotten both a lot more demanding and critical, but also a lot more savvy/knowledgeable. With YouTube media criticism has become a pretty big thing, so a lot of people are educating themselves and are more aware of bad writing, editing, etc, and much less forgiving. Of course there's also the culture being steeped in media for three additional decades so it's advanced a lot generally.

What I'm saying is that because you lack that experience, a movie that most of us would consider subpar could still be very enjoyable for you. I think most stuff released now that we'd consider bottom of the barrel is still better than a lot of the stuff we enjoyed in the 90s.

Also goons just like saying things are bad. Go into any thread for a movie or tv show and there will be people who keep coming back to say that they hate whatever it is, even though no one is forcing them to post there.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i might also get a part time job at a storage facility, cleaning out storage spaces that have been closed for non payment

If you get early pick at what they’re getting rid of, you can flip it on eBay or Craigslist. The only caveats are make sure you’re up on payment scams like others suggested. Reddit has a great reference at r/scams.

MANDATORY MEDIA RECS I’m just following the rules, go yell at a cloud, boomer.

Game of Thrones. Except the last season. Titties and dragons and taboo sex; something for everyone.

Mad Men. John Hamm plays an rear end in a top hat sociopath ad exec in 1960s New York City and he does it so well. Probably some brief titties and definitely no dragons, but great storylines and acting.

Dexter. Especially the season with John Lithgow. Not so much the season with the blonde girlfriend. Or the last season. Maybe just the first season and John Lithgow for starters.

Breaking Bad has been mentioned. Its sequel Better Call Saul wrapped up recently and had some really intense episodes. Both are great shows.

Keep up the good work and I hope every day you find something that blows your mind in the best way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Drink a Baja Blast from Taco Bell