Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Jfc this would be amazing hooked up to an Arduino for a Kerbal simpit :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Why doesn’t Russia just shoot every missile they have all at once, overwhelming air defense and doing a lot of damage?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
They have like 12 left

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Unfortunately I do not believe that is the case. I’d be happy to be wrong though.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Keep your court close and their guards far.

Good morning Russia

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Joke Miriam posted:

Why doesn’t Russia just shoot every missile they have all at once, overwhelming air defense and doing a lot of damage?

They have to wait for someone at the scrap yard to find a good enough tank radiator to prevent the fin actuators from melting the 4-bit targeting computer.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
They've been firing Soviet made missiles for a year and have no significant domestic production volume due to reliance on now embargoed foreign tech and a massively depressed domestic industry. Where are the Su-57s, T-14s, but we see hacked together t-55s with 75 year old naval guns welded on to them being fielded

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

This, and I wonder if there was a quid pro quo between the dems and repubs. Democratic president officialy takes the L instead of pushing it to the next administration, everyone tries to memoryhole the whole thing.

Where is uh, the 'quo' in this for the Democratics? "The Ds take all the loss and Rs get all the benefit! QUID PRO QUO!"

EDIT: My edit was for humorous clarification of what I was asking but apparently it wasn't needed, adding an extra edit to make that clear.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 1, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

If anyone knows enough about Soviet/Russian computing to do an effortpost that would be really fun to read

You might ask in the Obsolete technology thread.

Seems like everytime someone asks about an old computer, another poster (usually a Finn) pulls one out of storage or off the back porch.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Kchama posted:

Where is uh, the 'quo' in this for the Democratics?

Yeah good point. :v: Maybe some political capital for ending it? but probably not.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

If anyone knows enough about Soviet/Russian computing to do an effortpost that would be really fun to read

you mean like the history of it, initial mainframes and research efforts until they got their lunch eaten by western competition and rode along with x86 from then on? I could maybe do something about that but I don't have as much about whatever end-user stuff they had (like think ZX80 level)

FirstnameLastname posted:

i dont but heres a couple soviet mechanical computer videos

first one they used on soyuz for navigation until 2002, they open it up and the inside is wild

the second one is a mechanical computer calculating the square root of a number and one of the coolest looking pieces of machinery I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmHaCQ8Ul6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sUsiYnHwqI

hey on review I was too knives out in my post to you yesterday, sorry about that. I still think your posts are dumb sometimes but so are mine and that's allowed, and certainly what you said yesterday didn't deserve that level of vitriol.

anyway, that 60s style electromechanical stuff is cool as hell. it amazes me that they went for a rotating globe thing for navigation. I keep thinking about building a small relay computer (I mean, basically a calculator) because it sort of forces you to consider how magical it all is when you see it being done on a human timescale and get a better idea of how many steps are going on to produce a trivial result. but I'm torn between not wanting to just buy one (assuming anyone sells them) because that's comparatively lame, and recognizing how much effort it is to design when that's not actually my wheelhouse. idk

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah good point. :v: Maybe some political capital for ending it? but probably not.

I honestly think that was just Biden being a stubborn old man and not caring what people think. Biden had been against continuing the Afghan Occupation since the Obama Administration, so it probably shouldn't have been too surprising that he'd tell the media to pound sand after the withdrawal.

Trump would have absolutely reinvaded the minute a general told him he'd look weak on television, probably with a ton of air strikes specifically for B-Roll.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well after the recent oil refinery attack I would surmise that the United States is much more inclined to give a free hand to Ukraine to assault Russian assets inside of russia. I believe that Putin at this point has exhausted his use of the threat of nuclear weapons. Line break as oil is the last remaining industry of Russia the attacks on refineries and oil terminals will actually incur a significant amount of damage, coupled with the attacks on the Russian called Beverly hills unquote. Both of these are meant to sway the only opinion that matters which is the oligarchs and bourgeois class of russia. Has their money and resources come from oil and these will have a real serious effect on their outcomes. Especially their favorability towards a president who is literally fumbling the bag as it were

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Joke Miriam posted:

A seemingly obvious answer, which is purely a guess, is lack of launchers. They only have so many available launch platforms in operation at once and aircraft need lots of maintenance to keep flying.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Well after the recent oil refinery attack I would surmise that the United States is much more inclined to give a free hand to Ukraine to assault Russian assets inside of russia. I believe that Putin at this point has exhausted his use of the threat of nuclear weapons. Line break as oil is the last remaining industry of Russia the attacks on refineries and oil terminals will actually incur a significant amount of damage, coupled with the attacks on the Russian called Beverly hills unquote. Both of these are meant to sway the only opinion that matters which is the oligarchs and bourgeois class of russia. Has their money and resources come from oil and these will have a real serious effect on their outcomes. Especially their favorability towards a president who is literally fumbling the bag as it were

Hasn't natural gas and oil fallen through the floor because now it's summer in North America and Europe?

Lmao Russia is utterly screwed

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TulliusCicero posted:

Hasn't natural gas and oil fallen through the floor because now it's summer in North America and Europe?

The expectation is gas glut

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

zone posted:

Seems like it's over for now. Some debris landed in Dniprovskyi district, emergency services are on the spot. All the missiles were shot down.
A clinic was also damaged in the Desnansky district from debris.

Hey zone, just want to say I appreciate your posts.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To stress on gas, the expectation I heard in the UK is that prices will actually go negative in some regions (for a short period of time).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Dutch gas prices are the ones to watch because they're a hub and brokers for all of Europe.

Right now there is a lot of supply, and not a lot of demand. Gas stores are at pretty high levels and close to being filled, and once they are full demand will fall off a cliff completely and prices can go negative.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TulliusCicero posted:

Gas prices have already dropped below zero for periods of time on European markets.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Renewables own and are way better than gas, much like the content that fills Putin's adult Pull-Ups.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Special gassing operation seems to be going great

This is from a few days ago but I don't believe it's been posted.
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1663840894980694017

Apparently it's a spent PAC-3 missile after one of Poopin's tantrums, on person was injured form the debris.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-spent-patriot-missile-narrowly-misses-kyiv-motorists

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Scam Likely posted:

Renewables own and are way better than gas, much like the content that fills Putin's adult Pull-Ups.

Renewables and gas are complementary, not competing. You need to be able to match the production to the demand, and neither wind nor solar does that in Europe. The solution to reducing CO2 emissions is to build a lot of renewables, and then burn gas when there's no wind and the sun doesn't shine. In the long run, that gas might be hydrogen that was electrolyzed when there was excess wind, but for now it has to mostly mean natural gas. At least the projects for massive water splitting are finally being started.

The only other reasonable alternative is nuclear. Neither batteries nor pumped storage can be expanded to anywhere near the amounts required.

But until mass scale electrolysis is reality, building more renewable production means burning more gas, as it displaces coal (and nuclear, if you are stupid) baseline production and needs adjustable production on top.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Doesn't most of their money come from exporting crude? You don't need a refinery for that, just pump it to the terminal.

Hitting refineries is probably more aimed at hurting domestic supplies of refined fuels and lubricants and damaging the war effort/economy that way rather than directly impacting exports. I have no idea whether there's enough refineries within droning range for that to make much of a difference though.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

ChaseSP posted:

Operation Steppe Storm
Operation Madness - One Steppe Beyond

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I've been laughing at this for longer than I am willing to admit.
Context: Prigoblin ranting over the recent Moscow drones.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Reddit reports: Ulitsa Lenina, 58, Shebekino, Belgorodskaya oblast', Russia, 309290

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1664183790284013569 https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1664204065801220097

quote:

Google street view shows how it was before remodeling with a sign on the building I've translated as: "Russia's success is in our hands!"

Distance from the Ukrainian border (as the crow flies) is 7km.

Maybe setting the building on fire was to burn all the documents.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 1, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sashimi posted:

Just ask the Libyans!

bruh

that was a volkswagen

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

So the building with the blue roof:

- is adjacent to an administration building
- doesn't "look like" an apartment building.

Ergo it is an administration building? For all I know it is housing Russia's nuclear codes, but this just seems like motivated reasoning.

Edit: from the replies to that post, apartments for rent at that address, Lenin Street 58.

https://belgorod.domclick.ru/building/belgorodskaya-oblast--shebekinskij-gorodskoj-okrug--shebekino--ulica-lenina--58
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4057988,36.8810283,346m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

beer_war fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 1, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1664226712824041473?s=20

we hear that you are mad about war club

please meet with us at the flagpole after 4 to discuss this matter, thank you

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1664113636590092288

lmao at the paranoia. Gonna be ''papers please'' soon at this rate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The British inserted a multi-fuel engine into The Chieftain, under the presumption that having a tank that could run gasoline and diesel would be helpful were they to be supplied by America. The problem is that multi-fuel engines back in the day just weren't as capable as they would later become, so it was very weak.

It's way funnier than that. The multi-fuel engine was used because it was agreed that this would be a NATO requirement going forward for all new designs in the name of increased alliance mutual operability. Which the UK dutifully complied with. Then everybody else in NATO just went Nope! and ignored this rule in their new vehicles.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1664113636590092288

lmao at the paranoia. Gonna be ''papers please'' soon at this rate.

America: "That pretty dame is a Russian spy!"

Russia: "that dude who speaks succinctly and doesn't want to touch children is an American spy!"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

drat, that new lord of the rings gollum game really is terrible.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1664226712824041473?s=20

we hear that you are mad about war club

please meet with us at the flagpole after 4 to discuss this matter, thank you

Wagner for all their bluster would absolutely wipe the floor with the tik tok troops

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Real "You can't cut back on funding!" vibes from this

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

B-Rock452 posted:

Wagner for all their bluster would absolutely wipe the floor with the tik tok troops

my gut feeling is that Akhmat probably has far more guys and materiel than Wagner does at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

my gut feeling is that Akhmat probably has far more guys and materiel than Russia does at this point

Fixed