Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I usually settle in Mongrel after a slave start and make regular “training runs” into Fogmen territory to boost my weak hirelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I too hope Kenshi 2 has a job system more in line with Rimworld.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I'm curious, would a turret placed behind one of the top floor windows in a Type III Outpost be able to shoot through them, or would they block it like a wall does? I'm doubtful, because there are no specific turret hardpoints on them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://steamcommunity.com/games/233860/announcements/detail/3689053519335245484

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The devs seem to post a lot about things I don't care about and nothing about Kenshi 2 (something I care dearly about).

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've felt this feeling before.

The promise has been made

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I am incredibly late to the party, but this is a really good game. Janky, but good. It reminds me so much of Morrowind, but balls harder.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Entorwellian posted:

I am incredibly late to the party, but this is a really good game. Janky, but good. It reminds me so much of Morrowind, but balls harder.

Same, it definitely feels like Morrowind to me too. You're supposed to get your poo poo kicked in though, it makes you stronger. Like Goku

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Kenshi 2 when plz

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Been playing this on an off for years. I had an exploration party go to world's end, recruit like 6 people, start making my way back to the hub, get steamrolled by 3 cannibal patrols at once, spend a few IRL hours dealing with that,
walk past the floodlands, get steamrolled by a broken skeleton and his iron spider pet, repeatedly with reloads, after reloading enough times to avoid that fight,
go slighty though obedience, get steamrolled by 3 broken skeletons and 5 iron spiders at once, I have never seen that many at once, spend an hour with that,
barely leaving obedience, get steamrolled by like 5 fog bugman patrols, had to wait until night to get everyone out,
start sneaking though okran lands, get steamrolled by 2 inquisitor patrols, we get up and heal, immediately steamrolled again by a different patrol, repeat 5 times,
Finally made my way back to base with exploration party, 2 missing limbs, 3 people with other limbs in negative hundreds of damage,

Total loot, 4 ancient science books, 2 skeleton recruits, 4 greenlander recruits, lots of wasted time.

I learned if you stealth knocked out the prayer day leader they'll leave and never bother you again.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 1, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Maybe the real loot was the friends we made along the way

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Maybe the real loot was the friends we made along the way

I do typically grab new recruits and run away holding them above my head, because new people are way too slow and unstealthy to make it to my base alive.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

The Lone Badger posted:

I do typically grab new recruits and run away holding them above my head, because new people are way too slow and unstealthy to make it to my base alive.

Beep.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Beep.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

Finally made my way back to base with exploration party, 2 missing limbs, 3 people with other limbs in negative hundreds of damage

Sounds like you need to get those three people with negative health limbs into a sword fight, you're almost at five limb upgrades and tons of toughness XP for the low low price of free

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Peeler machine.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Getting back into this game by checking out the latest popular mods and :lol:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2943028823&searchtext=

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What, not going to link the recommended cuddle bed mod?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Really cranking the dial on that boob slider.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Just bought this yesterday since it was half off. Started as a Wanderer and walked to the nearest town. Is the map randomly generated each game?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TheMostFrench posted:

Just bought this yesterday since it was half off. Started as a Wanderer and walked to the nearest town. Is the map randomly generated each game?

Nope, its a set map.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've played Kenshi a couple different ways: a full squad with the story/unique recruits, a full skeleton robo horde, a sprawling base, a smaller in-town setup, and a solo ninja.

Now I'm playing with smaller 6 man squad of permanently itinerant hobos who live off the land, hunting garrus, grilling their meat on open campfires, and limping back to town to sell their hides and rest up in rented beds. This time I'm mixing things up by having each member specialize in a different weapon type and also wearing an eclectic mix of armor rather than optimizing everyone in the same suit of samurai plate, cyber limbs, and Falling Suns by the endgame.

I think I'll purposefully keep it small scale like this since not having to manage a base or a mess of units has been both chill and challenging at the same time. I'm liking it a lot so far.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I did a Road Trip game of six skeletons. The reason they each specialized in a different weapon was that the point of the game was to acquire all the meitou weapons (one each).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
But there are 29 meitou weapons

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

the immortal words of wisdom "I main [five identical wakizashis] with [merc club] as backup"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azhais posted:

But there are 29 meitou weapons

Ugh, that's what happens with meitou, you give it some attention and they start popping out of the woodwork :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I started again last night and i've never actually restored the hub, so I guess i'm doing that with a few people before I move on. I think i'm just going to fix up each city, very peaceful like.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

TheMostFrench posted:

Same. I haven't done much so far except die but the game has kept me coming back to it. I did manage to buy and fix up a shack last night. I guess I need to focus on recruiting now? Everything is taking way too long with just one guy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

is pepsi ok posted:

Same. I haven't done much so far except die but the game has kept me coming back to it. I did manage to buy and fix up a shack last night. I guess I need to focus on recruiting now? Everything is taking way too long with just one guy.

Yeah, its probably the most important thing so you can recover. I typically have a guy set to not help out in combat if i'm just doing stuff around a town in case my guys outside get jumped and need to be patched up (you can and should let this happen if the people jumping you are starving bandits, losing the food isn't such a big deal and you gain toughness from it). The guy inside is usually just doing some research/etc if he's not needed to drag people home.

Hobbs sometimes spawns in the main town (hub) and you can recruit him for free (he hasn't shown up for me in the past like 6 games though). In the shek town below (it should be on your map, the name is escaping me right now) you can find ruka who will join you for free if you don't call her a coward and tell her that you fight until you die in battle.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 16, 2023

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TheMostFrench posted:

Some natural resources do get randomized though.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

Almost-dying makes you stronger. Getting up while playing dead especially makes you extremely tough extremely fast.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

I've played Kenshi a couple different ways: a full squad with the story/unique recruits, a full skeleton robo horde, a sprawling base, a smaller in-town setup, and a solo ninja.

Now I'm playing with smaller 6 man squad of permanently itinerant hobos who live off the land, hunting garrus, grilling their meat on open campfires, and limping back to town to sell their hides and rest up in rented beds. This time I'm mixing things up by having each member specialize in a different weapon type and also wearing an eclectic mix of armor rather than optimizing everyone in the same suit of samurai plate, cyber limbs, and Falling Suns by the endgame.

I think I'll purposefully keep it small scale like this since not having to manage a base or a mess of units has been both chill and challenging at the same time. I'm liking it a lot so far.

I always try to do this but at some point I'll be like "well, I should just buy a house to stash all this good stuff I can't use yet" and without fail it just spirals out from there to where I'm suddenly running an empire of 50 dudes again with production chains to feed and equip them all.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arven posted:

I always try to do this but at some point I'll be like "well, I should just buy a house to stash all this good stuff I can't use yet" and without fail it just spirals out from there to where I'm suddenly running an empire of 50 dudes again with production chains to feed and equip them all.

Brother, fuckin same. Every single time I find myself doing a drug run from the swamps to Bo Shatai or whatever.

Every constellation of modpacks have this loop and I fall into it every single time.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It is hard to resist the urge to industrialize. Sometimes I'll go hey I have a lot of animal hides from hunting garrus, I should just buy a small shack to set up a tanning bench, and if I can get some fabric I could also start making lighter armor, maybe I should make just a tiny farming plot for cotton, and then...

But I'm determined to go no-base this run and just wander the land. It is in some respects harder because I have to depend on enemy drops, stores, and busting open ancient buildings for my gear. On the other hand, it's easier because my guys are constantly fighting and improving their combat stats.

More importantly, it's very freeing not having to manage a base and supply chains and defenses. I just hunt wildlife for my daily bread, turn in the occasional bandit boss bounty, find a hodgepodge of gear, and explore interesting locales.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

a7m2 posted:

Almost-dying makes you stronger. Getting up while playing dead especially makes you extremely tough extremely fast.

yeah the game is very much about Losing Is Fun, in a more concrete way than just about any other game that claims this slogan. Getting your rear end kicked and getting back up is how you win. Getting limbs amputated just makes you tougher and gives you a chance to upgrade.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I tried starting a new game with a group of industry guys, immediately tried to build a shack outside of town and they couldn't go inside. Apparently that's been a bug for people since about 2017, which some people insist has been fixed, or is easily fixable by doing one little trick, none of which worked for me. After dismantling my building to rebuild it in a slightly different position, a group of bandits and some giant insects came and murdered my skeletons.

The wanderer game is going pretty well though, I bought some maps and walked across big sprawls of land to visit different towns, met some new people and accepted that it's useful to have people in different places doing different things so they don't all inevitably die when you accidentally walk into a group of enemies because you stopped paying attention to that monitor for 5 seconds on the fastest game speed. It's funny how skeletons can still crawl even when all limbs are completely dead.

The game is making me think of a different, harsh, perspective of Morrowind? When you walked out to the desert towns like Maar Gan with dead plants everywhere, there would be people travelling in little caravans, dust storms, and ancient ruins around the place. You go into town and there's a faction HQ, a bar, different traders, sometimes there's people to fence stolen goods. The TES series got way more friendly, but this game has animals eating your squad members alive while the guy next to them is unconscious and travellers are walking past to take advantage of the distraction.

(Maar Gan)

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 17, 2023

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
ctrl-shift-f11 usually fixes that kind of crap but sometimes you just can't fix jank.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
When I made a dude max height in the character customizer, he would sometimes have trouble going through doors into buildings. Also sometimes, even though building placement will be green and allowed, a completed building for me might not play well with pathfinding if some of the terrain ends up clipping through it. Maybe that's what was happening for you?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

a7m2 posted:

Apparently the fastest way to get tough really really stupid fast is to repeatedly take off and put your legs back on in front of an okranite army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

SugarAddict posted:

Apparently the fastest way to get tough really really stupid fast is to repeatedly take off and put your legs back on in front of an okranite army.

you jank-slut.
Yeah, Personally I bounced tf off of Kenshi a bunch of times then it started to vibe, now I mess about and make weird mods..