Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Joss had this script idea he was obsessed with where the Reavers (the psycho cannibal rapists) would attack the prostitute played by Morena Baccarin and she knew she was going to be taken, so she injects herself with vagina poison that would cause them all to die when they gang rape her, and he kept enthusiastically bringing this up to the staff writers like "I can't wait until I can work this amazing idea into the show, this is my magnum opus".

I really wish Firefly had gotten that second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

McSpanky posted:

Joss had this script idea he was obsessed with where the Reavers (the psycho cannibal rapists) would attack the prostitute played by Morena Baccarin and she knew she was going to be taken, so she injects herself with vagina poison that would cause them all to die when they gang rape her, and he kept enthusiastically bringing this up to the staff writers like "I can't wait until I can work this amazing idea into the show, this is my magnum opus".

Lmfao Jesus Christ

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Didn't Janeway animorph into a newt or something

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Smugworth posted:

Didn't Janeway animorph into a newt or something

her and Tom Paris went on a weird evolutionary journey after warping too fast and they turned into gross salamanders and had a bunch of gross salamander babies

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
gross

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MrQwerty posted:

her and Tom Paris went on a weird evolutionary journey after warping too fast and they turned into gross salamanders and had a bunch of gross salamander babies

I'd say that's significantly less bad than what Whedon had planned for the Reavers

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MrQwerty posted:

And then left them to die.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh God the Reavers. I honestly forgot they existed and that the whole stupid loving reveal in Serenity is that it was the evil empire trying to drug people to make people more docile and succeeding with the majority but loving up and creating horrific monsters with some stupidly small amount like .01 percent of the population, which is. Just. The dumbest loving thing.

And then because this means it would be a very small population of crazy people who would eventually get killed off and you'd have no problem, somehow they have to pass their space madness along to keep up a population of space crazies, but it's not clear how do, the plot just sorta shrugs and is like oh well people just go mad after seeing them and it somehow makes more.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 31, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gonna cast two white rear end people as half Chinese.

Also for some reason everyone in the future dresses like it's the 1880s, as if the only clothing that made it out into the colonies were costumes from old west photo sets.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

McSpanky posted:

this is literally in the pilot, when the reavers pass by or whatever inara somberly takes out and regards a little box that doesn’t make sense in context but was absolutely going to be revealed as some kind of toxic vagina bedazzler

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Reaver? Barely know her

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

twistedmentat posted:

Gonna cast two white rear end people as half Chinese.

Also for some reason everyone in the future dresses like it's the 1880s, as if the only clothing that made it out into the colonies were costumes from old west photo sets.

Absolutely appealing to dumbass teenage libertarian fantasies of staking your claim on the frontier

I too was a dumbass teenager who ate that poo poo up 20 years ago :eng99:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also you do see actual Chinese people, but they're in the background, wearing Manchu style clothing with their hair in qu's which was specific to a certain time and culture in Chinese history, and not something they'd choose to wear again.

Joss just copied what he saw in old west movies without bothering to research any context for anything.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

Ew. Gross. They're gross

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dumbass song stuck in my head again

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Dumbass song stuck in my head again

Should be the new rickroll imo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

(Nathan fillion frantically patting himself)

My sky! Someone stole it!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Take me out
Into the black
Tell them I
Ain’t comin’ back

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Rockman Reserve posted:

this is literally in the pilot, when the reavers pass by or whatever inara somberly takes out and regards a little box that doesn’t make sense in context but was absolutely going to be revealed as some kind of toxic vagina bedazzler

just lol if you've never seen a suicide kit in a lacquered rosewood box before, jeez where do you plebs come from?? :smug:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Guys my local theater will let us run serenity if we buy 100 ticket!!!! Who's in??? Just need to crowd fund this and show the woke media people that we WANT MORE FIREFYL!!!!!N

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Bible posted:

Yeah IDK, maybe they just bought more or made them or something. Same with the shuttlecraft. And bulkheads, circuitry, etc.

If I cared about that kind of thing I'm pretty sure any scifi would be unwatchable. I like that video maybe I'll watch Voyager again.

McSpanky posted:

I think scifi could do with less rape beasts. Andromeda, Firefly. Maybe don't have them be major factions? Maybe just don't have them at all? Just a thought.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 31, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Please, the roots of scifi are weird sex poo poo. Joss is continuing a grand tradition started by 'greats' like Ann Mcaffrey and Piers Anthony.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The opening shot of the Serenity movie where it introduces the characters and shows the layout of the ship in a single long shot is pretty cool but Joe Sweden sucks poo poo as a person so

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of the reasons I hate Star Citzen is that it's marks use Fireflys cutsey terms all the time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Going on a year now, I ain't had nothing twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I dunno why it's so hard for some people to keep their fetishes off paper?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ok, hear me out, Firefly, but instead of talking the way they do, they talk like characters from Deadwood.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Spaceship cocksucker!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

I mean, it was no "Spock's Brain" or gangster planet...

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Please, the roots of scifi are weird sex poo poo. Joss is continuing a grand tradition started by 'greats' like Ann Mcaffrey and Piers Anthony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFmWfkI_FbE

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 1, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Does Buffy have much of a fanbase anymore? Seems for a while although nothing at trek or SW levels maybe had Dr. Who levels of popularity? Guessing that’s fell off as (some) existing fans would be embarrassed & new ones wouldn’t want to watch a Joss product.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'd say the original hardcore fanbase is still fairly strong, but like all fanbases they're fickle as all hell. But the vacuum that Buffy filled has more or less been filled by other media in the last decade, too.

McSpanky posted:

Isn't this a plot point in the Ninja Scroll anime, too?

Maybe Firefly was just an anime rip-off, after all. Or Invasion of the Bee Girls. One or the other.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Something about bare feet. Is there a shortage of women's shoes in the future?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Number_6 posted:

Something about bare feet. Is there a shortage of women's shoes in the future?

I want the carrot. I want the carrot very, very badly.

Don't mind me, i'll just be sleeplessly plowing this permafrost forever

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I liked Firefly well enough at the time but haven’t felt the need to revisit it in years.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i liked the part in Archer 2009 where the space concubine doesnt do anything

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

here are my reviews of JOSs WHEDON shows

-Buffy: you gotta start somewhere, running with a good premise, everyone loves vampires, ends up being weird at the end. 6/10
-Angel: OK better good show good premise again, gets weird and creepy with spike but ends good 8/10
-Firefly: off to a great start and not enough episodes for the creator to make it creepy. enjoyed every episode. great scifi 10/10

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Firefly could have had 6 seasons has it started when trump was in office.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Firefly could have had 6 seasons has it started when trump was in office.

It would have been called for cancellation because River seemed to have superpowers and was 'best girl evar' energy.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Joss can’t write anything that isn’t about a Chosen waif with latent superpowers. Like his entire pre-Marvel career is just rewrites of Buffy. Angel was actually pretty decent especially later on when he was more hands-off and the other writers gave it its own feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I enjoyed Firefly, knowing nothing about Joss Whedon, I never watched a single episode of those Buffy shows as they looked incredibly lame. Then the Dollhouse show came out and I'm like, oh the Firefly guy made a new show I should check that out. I think I managed like three episodes and it was probably the worst show I'd ever seen and that was the last I cared about old Joss.