Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

It took a few moments for my mind to gearshift to this meaning of "open source.

Don’t do too much hot work or you’ll get open sores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Tangentially safety related: Child patient simulators have eerily realistic looking teeth

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Phanatic posted:

It took a few moments for my mind to gearshift to this meaning of "open source.

If you work too closely with radiation too long, much like discord mods, you will get a lot of open sores.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
diy asbestos abatement is ok right

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

`Nemesis posted:

If this is your photo please phone the Health and Safety Executive immediately.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Scholtz posted:

Tangentially safety related: Child patient simulators have eerily realistic looking teeth
Lots of medical manikins have teeth for learning intubation techniques. Most of them are designed to snap off/fold back to simulate breaking teeth during intubation, which is a thing that happens.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Olewithmilk posted:

If this is your photo please phone the Health and Safety Executive immediately.

stole it from reddit, and people over there said the same so hopefully the op did so

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
What ami looking at there?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Scholtz posted:

Reminded me of this classic. Dental mannequin calendar.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Benagain posted:

What ami looking at there?

Same, how does that photo scream asbestos?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I finally remembered exactly what the floating house reminded me of: The Newfoundland resettlement programs, where the government paid for people to move from outlying small communities to larger towns. If I'm reading this correctly, there was some monetary support for moving your house, and some families did exactly that.

edit: I found a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSDdaiz_lA

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Plugging this again for the thread, that INFRA game is on sale again for $8: https://store.steampowered.com/app/251110/INFRA/

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

namlosh posted:

Same, how does that photo scream asbestos?

they're removing asbestos roofing material and burying it in a shallow pit in their own garden/back yard for some other poor fucker to find years from now and have to spend an absolute fortune to be properly dealt with.

If this was just standard roofing material you would just get a skip/dumpster and have it hauled off and no one would bay an eye, or haul it to the dump yourself.... you wouldn't rent a bobcat and create your own little superfund site in your yard.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Plugging this again for the thread, that INFRA game is on sale again for $8: https://store.steampowered.com/app/251110/INFRA/

I put this game on my wishlist when it came up last time and pulled the trigger on it earlier. Look forward to checking it out this evening!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah, DIY abatement is "fine" if you're replacing your furnace or dryer or something and finding, like, a few linear feet of TSI. Just wet it the hell down and wear a respirator to be extra safe.

Basically if it fits in a single, small garbage bag and you triple bag it, you shouldn't feel horrible about throwing it in a dumpster.

But doing an entire DIY roofing project is a whole 'nother matter. What I'm really curious about is if he knows there's asbestos in there (and therefore probably had it analyzed) or if he's just assuming it does. If he did have it analyzed, that means there's a paper trail to prove his knowledge and he can't feign ignorance.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

`Nemesis posted:

I've done DIY asbestos abatement, it's miserably hot sweaty work in a tyvek suit and respirator, but as long as you use the approved bags and pay the ACM hazmat landfill fees, it's not really hard or complicated. Wet drywall mush is possibly the most aggravating material possible to try to fit into plastic bags without ripping them.

In most jurisdictions what the dude is doing is sketchy but not actually illegal. Gonna have a hell of a time selling the place with 'yeah, I buried a shed's worth of asbestos cement tiles in the garden, it'll be fine.' in the sellers disclosures.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

in the sellers disclosures.

lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What makes you think anyone in that photo is gonna put it on a disclosure?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SLOSifl posted:

Lots of medical manikins have teeth for learning intubation techniques. Most of them are designed to snap off/fold back to simulate breaking teeth during intubation, which is a thing that happens.
Wait, what? Why? How? The laryngoscope knocking against them or something?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

`Nemesis posted:

See no evil, breathe no evil

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CainFortea posted:

What makes you think anyone in that photo is gonna put it on a disclosure?

That was the joke, burying it isn't illegal, lying about doing it by omitting it on the disclosure is tho.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Wait, what? Why? How? The laryngoscope knocking against them or something?
Yep. Patients also reflexively bite down, sometimes quite hard.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

When I was a kid there were a few sheets of corrugated stuff in a friend's "garden" (actually just some undefined patch of land out the back of his house seeing as it was the only house for about a mile in any direction) and it was fun jumping on it because it was sort of crumbly and crunched.

That was asbestos roofing so probably a good job we only jumped on it and didn't pick it up and throw it at each other or whatever.

I think from squinting at that picture that's what they're breaking up and burying but anyway I'm not dead therefore it's clearly fine so just dump it over the back fence and leave it for the local children to play with.

E: this was also the UK

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 1, 2023

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
just in case in wasn't clear, that's the UK and everything happening is illegal as far as i've seen people explain it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/who_shot_jgr/status/1663977843112521729?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

`Nemesis posted:

just in case in wasn't clear, that's the UK and everything happening is illegal as far as i've seen people explain it

You don’t need to be describing a photograph here.

Everything you said is true regardless of context.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

This telephone game of figuring out why from the anime talk show is kind of weird cause there's a bunch of stuff it could be and it doesn't really matter because it was handled kind of exactly as it should, minus the unexpected part.
I dont think you can really say anything resulting in someone posting a creepy anime v-tuber video was really "handled as it should".

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rotkluqnbF1zjrw0l.mp4

:crab: Hermit crab :hmmyes:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 1, 2023

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/peskyteske/status/1664056500304609281?s=20
https://twitter.com/peskyteske/status/1664059536255209473?s=20

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I enjoyed this very much, it deserved better than to languish at the bottom of a page

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

I dont think you can really say anything resulting in someone posting a creepy anime v-tuber video was really "handled as it should".

Theres a bunch of these VR chat interview channels doing the rounds and they have some interesting guests, not all using anime avatars. It's just how they meet these people, it's not like it's Jared Leto talking to a cartoon.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

There was a really heartbreaking one of a soldier discussing all of the health problems he experienced from being an aircraft gunner. I remember the interviewer was using a Winnie the Pooh avatar and he mentioned the plane he crewed was nicknamed "airborne cancer" or something.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

You know what sucks the most to me about this? I just expect it. I know this is all a bullshit shell game but my god I’m just never surprised.

Why does everything suck so much?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jesus loving Christ. It's Iowa so nothing will happen, but the owner of that apartment building needs to be in jail.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It’s weird how someone says the asbestos thing is british and all I can think about is a doctor being like “oy bruv got some shite on yer lung ecky”. Now I don’t know if it’s supposed to be funny.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm not a mason/structural engineer, but if I'm being incredibly forgiving to the property owner (and they do not deserve any slack here) maybe they were a particularly moronic demon and thought they were just holding up an aesthetic brick facade?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Scholtz posted:

I'm not a mason/structural engineer, but if I'm being incredibly forgiving to the property owner (and they do not deserve any slack here) maybe they were a particularly moronic demon and thought they were just holding up an aesthetic brick facade?

nope, just evil

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Only $800 a month to live in that!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Before or after?

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

I'm no structural engineer but the building needed obvious structural improvements that I would have thought would cost millions of dollars. I also live in an area with a lot of earthquakes and stringent building codes and no way no how would they be able to repair that for $50,000. Hell, a lovely remodel around here costs $500,000. Now I don't live in a decaying rust belt city, but the cost of the buildings that Wold bought was insanely cheap. $4.1 million for a 78 unit apartment complex. He owned a bunch of other buildings bought in 2020 or later for similar costs per unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

haveblue posted:

Before or after?

In today's market? $1,500 minimum. That fresh breeze is a premium!