Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, making it a series would just be giving it more time for pinky swear ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean what if every episode ended with a different pinky swear it’s called an arc

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Working class, amateurish, and an entirely embarrassing movie. On second watch, it betrayed what I wanted, but that was the point.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Thanks mostly to this thread I will never watch that film because it sounds like a big pile of poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

crispix posted:

Thanks mostly to this thread I will never watch that film because it sounds like a big pile of poo poo.

Honestly it does save you an hour and some change you could use to watch a good mob movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Futanari Damacy posted:

I thought El Camino was good. I thought Jesse's story after BB was worth telling, and brevity served it well vs. a drawn out mini-series (my primary complaint about Better Call Saul is it took so long for him to actually become Saul)

I get that but, to me, part of the fun was reading posts about This Was The Exact Moment when it finally became Saul but the show portrays it as a sort of gradual transformation and/or evolution. He was Slippin Jimmy, James McGill, Saul Goodman and Gene, depending on the circumstances and what seemed best or motivated him at any given time.

Futanari Damacy posted:

I don't know that TMSoN would work better as a serial because if it's just going to be more of what it was, well...

I don't think so either because I don't think the problems with the movie (overall) came down a lack of exposition or anything. It did have some pacing problems though but overall it was just lovely writing and a bad plot delivered by (mostly) sub par actors who were given bad direction and a terrible script. It didn't need to be told, even though parts of it could have, so I was just spitballing things that may have given us something different and more satisfying. A miniseries might have given us more time to develop some of the characters and stories that were just kind of there for no reason, weren't needed and sometimes just abruptly ended with no real arc to speak of.

Sopranos could be a slow burn and bounce around subplots a lot of the time and I think it was mostly better for it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean what if every episode ended with a different pinky swear it’s called an arc

"Where's my arc?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You know who had an arc? Noah. :smugdog:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

You know who had an arc? Noah. :smugdog:

Quasimodo predicted that poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, I liked El Camino a lot and if many folks didn't, I feel comfortable opining that it's leagues better than TMSoN.

Oh yeah I liked it, just wish it hadn't come at the expense of BCS. It was a good story well told. Which, yeah, TMSoN was not.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Quasimodo predicted that poo poo

what, you’re gonna tell me you never pondered that? the back thing with notre dame?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ulvir posted:

what, you’re gonna tell me you never pondered that? the back thing with notre dame?

Tony's "No!" is such a perfect blend of bewilderment, exasperation, and anger. It's straight up the funniest line in what is for my money one of the funniest scenes ever put to film.
Gandolfini was a treasure.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I also love the beginning of that scene in the diner where Tony regrets his eggs and tomatoes after seeing Bobbys plate lmao.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Bobby turning Nostradamus into Quasimodo through a two-step mental process is such a stupid and funny joke that says everything about the character but also cements Sopranos as casually one of the funniest shows ever made.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
The other day I was taking a dump and I just randomly wondered if the show would've taken AJ in the same direction if Robert Illers hadn't turned out to be such a slight built, soft spoken kinda guy.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
While I think it was ultimately for the better that Bobby grew into a more well-rounded character from his early days doofus in a fat suit characterization, I kinda miss the way Schirrupa played him so earnestly while being such a silly fool in his early appearance.

I recently finished a rewatch (which was really the first time I watched in the original language and properly paying attention) of The Sopranos and man, what a loving show.

I have some morbid curiosity for The Many Saints of Newark but I think I'm just gonna give that a skip and not sour my impression of the show with it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I have some morbid curiosity for The Many Saints of Newark but I think I'm just gonna give that a skip and not sour my impression of the show with it.

It didn't sour me on the show at all but it was shockingly bad. You're not missing anything skipping it

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 2, 2023

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Yeah if anything I appreciate the show more. Comparing the two is disfavourable only to the film, it is that much lesser.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah if anything I appreciate the show more. Comparing the two is disfavourable only to the film, it is that much lesser.

I’ll tell you one thing though, and I’m not ashamed to say it, my estimation of David Chase as a man just loving plummeted

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PerilPastry posted:

I’ll tell you one thing though, and I’m not ashamed to say it, my estimation of David Chase as a man just loving plummeted

I'm a Rockford Files fan but if you look at Chase's career Sopranos was more the exception than the rule. There's a lot of crap in there.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
David Chase is one of those guys who spent 30+ years working in television, all the while saying "But what I really wanna do is features." He finally got his chance and it turned out most of what made him a good TV writer and storyteller didn't really translate.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I do want to point out that David Chase backed out of directing the movie due to a heart attack. Not sure if it would've changed all that much but who knows?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The guy that replaced him, Alan Taylor, directed Stage 5, Kennedy & Heidi, and the Blue Comet, among a dozen others.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Skulker posted:

The other day I was taking a dump and I just randomly wondered if the show would've taken AJ in the same direction if Robert Illers hadn't turned out to be such a slight built, soft spoken kinda guy.

This happens with the majority of child actors because they all get hired to look younger than they are due to SAG/state rules about child working hours. They either hit puberty late and spring up a foot and a half between seasons or just stay on the smaller side with more youthful features.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The guy that replaced him, Alan Taylor, directed Stage 5, Kennedy & Heidi, and the Blue Comet, among a dozen others.

Similarly, Alan Taylor is an HBO mainstay (and a bunch of other prestige TV shows; directed the pilot for Mad Men!) and then his feature film work is stuff like Thor: The Dark World and Terminator Genisys.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can understand why a guy known for HBO dramas couldn't pull off MCU and other effects-heavy action films. But I have no loving clue why they asked him in the first place.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does TMSoN have any kind of commentary track or DVD release? I would love to hear wtf was going on in his mind with some of this poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Looks like the Blu-ray release has some deleted scenes and two making-of featurettes but no commentary.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
"Presented without commentary" is itself a commentary

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

This happens with the majority of child actors because they all get hired to look younger than they are due to SAG/state rules about child working hours. They either hit puberty late and spring up a foot and a half between seasons or just stay on the smaller side with more youthful features.

quote:

I don't think AJ's physical stature would have mattered one way or the other to the writing of his character either way.

He's shown as a fairly spoiled, coddled, lazy and not too bright son of a mobster with serious depression issues. I don't think if Robert Iler grew to be 6'4", got ripped and started doing action movies it would change his trajectory much. Come to think of it, if anything, having him grow up to look like a bar bouncer might have added to his arc and portrayal a little bit.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Sadsack AJ but Insanely Buff would've been really funny. Someone should use AI to digitally alter scenes and make that happen (in fact, that's the only artistic thing AI should be used for)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

JethroMcB posted:

Sadsack AJ but Insanely Buff would've been really funny. Someone should use AI to digitally alter scenes and make that happen (in fact, that's the only artistic thing AI should be used for)

I’m sure someone has already worked on something like taking a scene where they’re all hanging out at Satriale’s or the Bing saying stupid poo poo and making everyone look like Gigachad versions of themselves

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1OO48r8ZUY

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can understand why a guy known for HBO dramas couldn't pull off MCU and other effects-heavy action films. But I have no loving clue why they asked him in the first place.

From what I recall a lot of the time when they get a big name for a Marvel movie they generally direct the dialogue scenes and maybe some of the more stunt-heavy action stuff, and then they have the second-unit directors handle the big CGI energy blast bullshit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Da roof is soff tahhhh!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I coulda fuckin’ thought of that!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I thought I was daed but I manuged to get the drip on him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I must be loyle to my capo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thank you!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

so go back inside (5)