Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Ok a cow cost 3000 dollars so those prices are hella bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
(Puts paper bag over head with eye holes cut out)

Hello it is I, the definitely not western think tank. Did you hear the Russians are out of missiles, tanks, bullets, are all starving prison conscripts who run from loud noises and have never seen a toilet with working plumbing before?

It's all true I swear, my confidential and very real contacts have confirmed it. Please see the attachment I didn't attach, I don't know how to install arms 3 mods myself.

-posted from my iPhone geolocated in Virginia.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Where is that table from? It's insane that a shield and lance cost 2 cows. It's wood.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Where is that table from? It's insane that a shield and lance cost 2 cows. It's wood.

Hans Delbrück’s book.

I would say labour costs but how many man hours do you think?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Listen, I’m just going to say it: the premodern MIC was also inflating prices

$200 hammer? 6 cow shin guards.

cant afford 12 cows for your coat of mail? just ride a cow instead of a battle steed and you've saved 11 cows right there

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CEO of Lockheedius Martinus: A cow matures in two years, a tree in a hundred years. This is a deal for you! Furthermore there have been some supply chain issues due to the Black Death please bear with us.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

That's quality camphor wood that is guvnor. Rivets from France. Best blacksmith in ten days I am. I've had 3 knights in training come by this morning eying that set up, going fast, what ya say?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Hans Delbrück’s book.

Does the shield have metal banding? Copper, bronze or Iron era?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

crepeface posted:

it's interesting to hear this poo poo from someone that's not some western think tank. I'm pretty surprised at the talk of how bad logistics are tho, what do you think the likelihood of it being true across the entire front? we see so many reports about the AFU being out gunned it's hard to believe.

fwiw, he said he has no clue about what its like on the other side of the trenches - just what is happening on russian side. I have no problem believing it tbh, considering what we know about our neoliberal state waging warfare, why wouldn't the russians be nickle and diming it too? Our liberals believe this is an existential war between good and evil... but also there's still money to be made. Makes sense russian neoliberals would think the same.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

nomad2020 posted:

Does the shield have metal banding? Copper, bronze or Iron era?

Kite, so boards covered in leather, if I understand this correctly.

I’m not saying there’s no craftsmanship to it, at a time where nails were rare and made by hand, but the prices are extraordinary considering a peasant family would own, what, one cow?

Around the time of Dante you have craftsmen in the Italian cities who can afford palatial houses from selling weapons, a bit of a Raytheon Acres, Sienna. Was it ever thus?

e: speaking of, how is Ukraine managing ownership of its arms industry? Are they under national control? Are they being paid in cash?

Ukraine is about as close to total war as a neoliberal state has gotten, how are they directing (or not) their war economy?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:50 on Jun 1, 2023

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
So I just read a top Ukrainian guy said on the BBC they are ready for the counteroffensive tomorrow or next week... or next month while we're at it.

I said this and I'm saying it again.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

summer solstice hasn't started so it's technically still spring if you think about it

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I would guess “cow” is equivalent to “foot” or “horsepower” as far as the unit name having no continuing relevance to what it was actually measuring. Otherwise just a stand-in for economic contribution along the lines of very real man-months etc. but I would not take it as representative of the actual number of thalers it would have cost

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
i would

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Maybe a cow was really cheap.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
a good sword and armor can get you many cows, this is called "raiding" and medieval economists hate this little trick

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
aren't there different types of cows? sizes? ages? this entire economic system seems doomed to failure and I will not support it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

boo boo bear posted:

aren't there different types of cows? sizes? ages? this entire economic system seems doomed to failure and I will not support it.

at least you can fatten a cow up, maybe your investment goes up. dollars just get smaller every day :smith:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

Hans Delbrück’s book.

Ok so here's some prices maybe a little after the height of popularity of the kite shield from England.

http://www.medievalcoinage.com/prices/medievalprices.htm

quote:

5½d - Reaping an acre of grass or corn
3d - Threshing 8 bushels of wheat
3d - Carpenter's daily wage
2d - Thatcher's daily wage

Cow, 72-80d

So that's 24-27 days work equivalent for a carpenter to buy one cow, which is a skilled trade but I'm guessing not as skilled as making arms and armour.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I'm decades out of date on my Clancy™ knowledge, but that sounds like a great way to lose a F-16.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They will dodge and weave like their namesake the viper and get inside the minimum range of the mig's missiles

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
When you get a lock-on warning, just start turning and hit the brakes. Works every time. Then shoot down 99 planes because that's how many missiles you can carry. You can save on missiles by getting good at strafing SAMs and helis.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

crepeface posted:

it's interesting to hear this poo poo from someone that's not some western think tank. I'm pretty surprised at the talk of how bad logistics are tho, what do you think the likelihood of it being true across the entire front? we see so many reports about the AFU being out gunned it's hard to believe.

It can easily be much worse than this on the AFU side.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

FallenGod posted:

I'm decades out of date on my Clancy™ knowledge, but that sounds like a great way to lose a F-16.

you make trash canning a bunch of f16s sound like a bad thing. we need to sell more f35s, those f16s need to go!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

They will dodge and weave like their namesake the viper and get inside the minimum range of the mig's missiles

I think the macross jets that transformed into flying walking robots were f14s, the f16 has no chance against the missile burst barrage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

When you get a lock-on warning, just start turning and hit the brakes. Works every time. Then shoot down 99 planes because that's how many missiles you can carry. You can save on missiles by getting good at strafing SAMs and helis.

Occasionally you throw a kill at your otherwise useless wingman, callsign 'spiff', just out of sympathy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Occasionally you throw a kill at your otherwise useless wingman, callsign 'spiff', just out of sympathy

If your wingman goes by "rookie one alpha" they're actually a cold blooded kill stealer who can't be stopped. Will crash on landing everytime though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

It can easily be much worse than this on the AFU side.

The more worrying thing is the talk of Eastern regions rebelling if there's more mobilisation. The tragic thing is that by being war weary at this point is just going to drag things out longer. Also lol at being so fed up with war you get into a horrible civil war with Moscow.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/williamshortcon/status/1664151778345222144

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

The more worrying thing is the talk of Eastern regions rebelling if there's more mobilisation. The tragic thing is that by being war weary at this point is just going to drag things out longer. Also lol at being so fed up with war you get into a horrible civil war with Moscow.

Yeah, that might have been a bit of hyperbole. But it does make sense that they'd keep letting the psychos post if the real threat to the state project is lack of war support.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

There's also the frontline apparently leaving their positions but at the same time Ukraine's winter spring summer counteroffensive is MIA except for a bunch of PR stuff around Bakhmut and Belgorod.

Sounds more like a localized issue being blown up to be more encompassing in scope than it actually covers.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
glenns right

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In all honesty, I don't think "all the eastern regions" are on the edge of rebellion tbh.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Jun 1, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Danann posted:

There's also the frontline apparently leaving their positions but at the same time Ukraine's winter spring summer counteroffensive is MIA except for a bunch of PR stuff around Bakhmut and Belgorod.

Sounds more like a localized issue being blown up to be more encompassing in scope than it actually covers.

Quite possible, but then as long as they have shovels and are not averse to digging you've got most of what you need to hold lines if they're covered by artillery. So how could you tell from the outside?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

genericnick posted:

Quite possible, but then as long as they have shovels and are not averse to digging you've got most of what you need to hold lines if they're covered by artillery. So how could you tell from the outside?

Ukraine's not shy to spend lives and they've been doing a bunch of reconnaissance-by-fire sorties that end badly. There would've already been a bunch of dashing humvee convoys being pushed through had the frontline been so brittle.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I don't know if modern participants in all's quiet on the eastern front sharpen their shovels or if it is just a bit of kit

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i liked that the US is reviewing future ops involving australian special forces because we do war crimes but really its because this case has set all sorts of precedents re disclosure of top secret murder missions (at least here) and their soldiers would potentially be subject to it too if ours were involved

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Ukraine has its own satellite coverage via the US as well as drones. If the line was in disarray, they would utilize it. Also, the vast majority of the mobilized personnel are not on the frontline itself.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:45 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Isn't it very common for soldiers to consider themselves ill supported by their military and government? The most concrete thing in that message was having to buy their own gear.