Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

I'll die on the hill that you nerds fighting about commas need to shut the gently caress up about commas.

Ftfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Chief McHeath posted:

a jeep has exactly two doors

i fuckin hate all the new huge jeeps

Jeep drivers all listen to Dave Matthews Band and vacation in the Outer Banks.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

kntfkr posted:

Jeep drivers all listen to Dave Matthews Band and vacation in the Outer Banks.

Jeep drivers are people who want to be outdoors but are 0 percent athletic

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"Linda, I've decided to become a Jeep guy. They got one with a shovel on the back tire."

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jelly posted:

Wow man, I never would have guessed that not making cars is better for the environment than making cars. Absolutely profound. Thanks for sharing this.

Most mainstream liberals legit believe building 1000 horsepower luxury sedans is better for the environment because "electric" though

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Games belong on the PC. Consoles are for children.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
The internet should be destroyed.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The Last Jedi was a good movie.

lipid
Feb 21, 2001
The shrines in Breath of the Wild feel like abandoned mall food courts with muzak playing

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

The internet should be destroyed.

:hmmyes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bargearse posted:

The Last Jedi was a good movie.
:haibrow:

Flawed? Absolutely. Lots of things to critique or whine could have been done better. Poe's arc is too much frustration for the payoff and was where they needed more action sequences. Finn's arc needed better punctuation and less chase sequences. But the core stuff that really mattered, especially everything with Luke, Rey, and Kylo? Beautiful work and easily the most mature, thoughtful, thematically cohesive Star Wars movie that actually took all the bullshit seriously.

It wasn't your particular flavor? I can respect that.

Saying it's "bad Star Wars" or a "bad movie" because some YouTuber told you the stuntmen weren't good or because you just couldn't stand to see your heroes brought low and frustrated before redemption (y'know, like they were in loving Empire Strikes Back) then you're being a pissy little bitch-boy and the exact person Kylo Ren was created to mock.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Nobody thinks The Last Jedi is bad because of something they watched on Youtube. They think it's bad because they watched The Last Jedi.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
The Last Jedi was good because if you have a functional adult brain and any level of concern for the world around you then it killed Star Wars for you

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

Nobody thinks The Last Jedi is bad because of something they watched on Youtube. They think it's bad because they watched The Last Jedi.
Who do you think still buys this?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
All of the things in Last Jedi sound on paper kind of potentially interesting, but the absolute failure to make any of those things work in the execution ruined that movie. You take any few minutes of Last Jedi on its own, there's something that feels better than the reputation would have you believe. Watching it all strung along as a single film, the negative reputation is earned.

edit: Also, I'm in total disagreement with every Youtube critic who makes a big deal about "We wanted one last scene of Han, Luke, and Leia together and gently caress Disney for not giving us that!"

No. God no. We didn't need that, either.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 1, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Bargearse posted:

Are you from 2005? I haven't seen this dumb poo poo for over a decade.

You post in /r/pcmasterrace don't you? :lmao:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

All of the things in Last Jedi sound on paper kind of potentially interesting, but the absolute failure to make any of those things work in the execution ruined that movie.
What about the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff didn't work?

and "I didn't like Luke at the start" or "I don't believe he'd threaten Kylo" doesn't count because it's the entire point of the narrative arc that he's in a gross place so when he's a hero later it has weight. It's also both entirely consistent with Anakin, Kylo, and young Luke that when ashamed or guilty he'd go be a whiny hermit and it reinforces the allegory of Luke as a King Arthur complete with Kylo as his Mordred. Also having a young female protege show up and remind a lost, wayward older hero of the values he once had and convinces him to give one last good fight is the exact narrative plot of Logan and y'all loving love that one.

Like I get not enjoying the story, but on a nuts and bolts level it all works and is effective in the exact way it's intended to be.

quote:

You take any few minutes of Last Jedi on its own, there's something that feels better than the reputation would have you believe. Watching it all strung along as a single film, the negative reputation is earned.
Again, plenty of stuff that doesn't quite work. I outlined my thoughts before-- Poe's arc needs reworking. Finn's arc needs punctuation and less action. Even so I'd rather watch it than any of the prequels or other sequel movies because gently caress at least my brain is activated when watching it.

quote:

edit: Also, I'm in total disagreement with every Youtube critic who makes a big deal about "We wanted one last scene of Han, Luke, and Leia together and gently caress Disney for not giving us that!"

Yeah that's lame as balls.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

JediTalentAgent posted:

All of the things in Last Jedi sound on paper kind of potentially interesting, but the absolute failure to make any of those things work in the execution ruined that movie. You take any few minutes of Last Jedi on its own, there's something that feels better than the reputation would have you believe. Watching it all strung along as a single film, the negative reputation is earned.

We got the scene that spelled out, in no uncertain terms, that the rebels and the empire are happy to leave the MIC that fuels the endless Star Wars in place. Then we got the scene of said MIC owners being temporarily inconvenienced by having their poker tables knocked over by cartoon horses. Everything else is filler because it's a Disney Star Wars movie and that's all it ever could be.

If your takeaway was "I really need to throw my nerd-level appreciation of Star Wars and all the other dross that I consume in the trash" then congrats, you passed Star Wars.

If you instead went to Episode 9 hoping that Abrams would correct course, then you failed Star Wars.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
The nerd obsession with how "powerful" a character is/which character would win in a fight with another character is shallow and annoying as poo poo.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

The nerd obsession with how "powerful" a character is/which character would win in a fight with another character is shallow and annoying as poo poo.

it's for children

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

and "I didn't like Luke at the start" or "I don't believe he'd threaten Kylo" doesn't count because it's the entire point of the narrative arc that he's in a gross place so when he's a hero later it has weight. It's also both entirely consistent with Anakin, Kylo, and young Luke that when ashamed or guilty he'd go be a whiny hermit and it reinforces the allegory of Luke as a King Arthur complete with Kylo as his Mordred. Also having a young female protege show up and remind a lost, wayward older hero of the values he once had and convinces him to give one last good fight is the exact narrative plot of Logan and y'all loving love that one.

Except he didn't give one last good fight. He stayed on his island, did a force projection trick, and then died. What a wet loving fart of a way to end the saga of the main character of the original series.

And Rey was never his protege. She showed up on the island briefly and left after he said he didn't want to help. She became a master at using a lightsaber by randomly waving it around in a handful of panicked instances.

mind the walrus posted:

Again, plenty of stuff that doesn't quite work. I outlined my thoughts before-- Poe's arc needs reworking. Finn's arc needs punctuation and less action. Even so I'd rather watch it than any of the prequels or other sequel movies because gently caress at least my brain is activated when watching it.
Finn started as a co-main character. The second movie pushed him to the sidelines, and The Last Jedi solidified his position as comic relief. Having a character who's a former storm trooper who joined the resistance was one of the few truly interesting things from the first sequel movie, but any exploration of the serious implications of someone in that situation was completely dropped in TLJ.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

mind the walrus posted:

Like I get not enjoying the story, but on a nuts and bolts level it all works and is effective in the exact way it's intended to be.

A lot of my complaints about TLJ and ROTS can't be considered criticisms because they'd be me complaining about the not getting what I'd rather see than what they did give me.

But that's sort of my point, in a way. I don't mind stuff like a a failed, broken Luke or a Luke/Rey/Kylo struggle for moral guidance, that's something that sounds interesting on paper and I can see a lot of ways where a story of Luke becoming his father in the worst ways could work without retreading the same ground, but the story they were telling those things with didn't interest me. Rey REALLY should have had more history to the story of Luke and Kylo's failed relationship, there should have been some connective tissue there at the start to give that relationship something more than it had.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This thread has just turned into Stars War nerds arguing and it couldn't be more apt lmao

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Jelly posted:

Christ of all the stupid poo poo I post this is what sets you off?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'll redirect.

I think 80s bar rock music is unjustly maligned.

American Comics should switch to entirely black and white.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

American Comics should switch to entirely black and white.

American comics would instantly become significantly more readable if they just stopped bolding every 3rd or 4th word, as if they're convinced their audiences don't know how spoken language is typically emphasized.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Bargearse posted:

Counterpoint: the Steam Deck is a console that you can SSH into and do stupid PC poo poo with, while also having enough power to run anything that isn't a triple-A graphics wankfest.

If the HDMI on the Dock didn't constantly poo poo the bed it'd be the perfect gaming machine. No other gaming systems required for the next 20 years.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
The northern hemisphere is a loving idiot

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
iPhone photos all look the same. Everyone should get a real camera that isn’t a telephone.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
As far as republicans go, you could do a lot worse than Nixon. He:
Founded the EPA and gave it real teeth
Ended the Vietnam war
Pulled off the greatest diplomatic trickshot of the 20th century.
And a lot of bad stuff too but let's not think about that.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Evacuating a place means you get all the people out.
Evacuating a person means you get all the poop out of them.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Borscht posted:

As far as republicans go, you could do a lot worse than Nixon. He:
Founded the EPA and gave it real teeth
Ended the Vietnam war
Pulled off the greatest diplomatic trickshot of the 20th century.
And a lot of bad stuff too but let's not think about that.

Sad that all it takes to stand out against the current Republican crowd is a bit of basic competency.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

anime is bad and if you're into it anymore than "have watched a few" then you're getting some serious side eye from me

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jelly posted:

2005 was two decades ago hth

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

500excf type r posted:

2005 was two decades ago hth

Two decades is 20 years, and it is the year of our lord 2023, so that's actually 18 years ago, which is "over a decade" and distinctly not two decades. Thanks for uncorrecting me with your stupid semantic bullshit though.

(LOL thanks for the new avatar)

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."

Bargearse posted:

The only reason you shouldn't be using a M+K is when you're playing driving games. La la la, about platformers just plug in a controller.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Passive Aggreeable posted:

The only reason you shouldn't be using a M+K is when you're playing driving games. La la la, about platformers just plug in a controller.

This only really matters in games where it impacts the competitiveness, like FPS that are cross-platform. Or with games where the layout is much more complimentary to a point-click, like city builders or Rimworld or something - and even a lot of those are great with gamepad.

Beyond that it comes down to comfort and a gamepad beats keyboard/mouse in that category every time. There are far more games I'd rather play with a gamepad than those I wouldn't. To each their own though.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."

Jelly posted:

This only really matters in games where it impacts the competitiveness, like FPS that are cross-platform. Or with games where the layout is much more complimentary to a point-click, like city builders or Rimworld or something - and even a lot of those are great with gamepad.

Beyond that it comes down to comfort and a gamepad beats keyboard/mouse in that category every time. There are far more games I'd rather play with a gamepad than those I wouldn't. To each their own though.

all joysticks have a deadzone, a rotation where rotation is ignored, so it can wear on a lot of people. Otherwise I think VR is a must-have experience for instance, totes forgot about that. I do wish there was more vr support on PC. (vorpx)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jelly posted:

Two decades is 20 years, and it is the year of our lord 2023, so that's actually 18 years ago, which is "over a decade" and distinctly not two decades. Thanks for uncorrecting me with your stupid semantic bullshit though.

(LOL thanks for the new avatar)

2001-2010, 2011-2020

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

500excf type r posted:

2001-2010, 2011-2020

hth

I'm not sure if you can't read or you're just really bad at math, but I said 2005 and I spelled out the math in my last post so I don't really know what else to do here besides advise you acquire some kind of education.

2001 != 2005, that seems to be where you're getting hung up even though you blatantly said "2005 is two decades ago", which is both wrong and stupid and apparently thread related as a hill you're willing to die on.