Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SpacePig posted:

Always appreciate a recipe that starts with "buy premade mix".
I'd agree, but it seems fair game when trying to emulate a corporate franchise product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Always appreciate a recipe that starts with "buy premade mix".

I remember a friend in high school talking about his mom's homemade sloppy joes and I was like oh yeah, my mom makes homemade sloppy joes too, she uses manwich, and everyone pointed and laughed and I never went back to school again.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ruddiger posted:

I remember a friend in high school talking about his mom's homemade sloppy joes and I was like oh yeah, my mom makes homemade sloppy joes too, she uses manwich, and everyone pointed and laughed and I never went back to school again.

Hahah, she used Manwich?! Hahaha

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Seltzer instead of water in your Belgian Waffles will absolutely make your day. Plus people like to say "Seltzah"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Quoting so they can't edit away the shame

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hahah, she used Manwich?! Hahaha

*ruddiger sighs, picks up his red spotted knapsack on a stick and walks into the sunset*

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

Seltzer instead of water in your Belgian Waffles will absolutely make your day. Plus people like to say "Seltzah"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-bbYH_akHg

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

teethgrinder posted:

I'd agree, but it seems fair game when trying to emulate a corporate franchise product.

This is all very topical as I made Red Lobster cheddar biscuits just last night.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Buying shake and bake: ❌
Buying bread crumbs and a plastic bag: ✔️

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

If you're not using White Lily flour for your biscuits you can get the gently caress out

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

ruddiger posted:

If you liked the things your mom made for you then that's about as good as it gets. gently caress those snobs. Ruddiger solidarity

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Biscuits are just scones right? Flour baking powder butter and milk folks. I've literally made them with preschoolers. You can't gently caress it up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
On the contrary, ALL biscuits are hosed up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Someone pull up the cooking contest show where a foreign contestant misheard ithe dish as 'brisket and gravy'

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

https://youtu.be/YFzCz9HI8JM

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

bike tory posted:

Biscuits are just scones right? Flour baking powder butter and milk folks. I've literally made them with preschoolers. You can't gently caress it up.

Yep.
You don't even need an oven, bbq griddle scones are the poo poo when you're camping in winter

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

davidspackage posted:

*ruddiger sighs, picks up his red spotted knapsack on a stick and walks into the sunset*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33izVlIOgnQ

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The only biscuits in my house are made by my cat. They are sharp and hurty but worth it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

carrionman posted:

Yep.
You don't even need an oven, bbq griddle scones are the poo poo when you're camping in winter
Good thing the scones are on a griddle so I can flip it over in a fit of rage when you try to pretend they are biscuits.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Scown? Sconn? Scoon?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Yes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

:glomp:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

The only biscuits in my house are made by my cat. They are sharp and hurty but worth it.

Trim his/her claws and enjoy a good rub-down.

We need a Jiffy Corn Bread smilie. Because it is awesome.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

davidspackage posted:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

teethgrinder posted:

I’m pretty sure that if you’re looking for a recipe to actually learn to make biscuits or whatever, that’s an entirely different audience than those that are trying to emulate a very specific Popeyes biscuit or Chick-fil-A sandwich or some chains fries. Usually those are “mix these few ready made ingredients and walla, just like the drive thru!” That person doesn’t want to be a super chef and make good food, they want to stick it to the man and make some ghetto rear end imitation of their idea of good food…. A Popeyes biscuit, without going to the restaurant

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

bike tory posted:

After a while, the neighborhood starts noticing that the small children are missing.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I’m pretty sure that if you’re looking for a recipe to actually learn to make biscuits or whatever, that’s an entirely different audience than those that are trying to emulate a very specific Popeyes biscuit or Chick-fil-A sandwich or some chains fries. Usually those are “mix these few ready made ingredients and walla, just like the drive thru!” That person doesn’t want to be a super chef and make good food, they want to stick it to the man and make some ghetto rear end imitation of their idea of good food…. A Popeyes biscuit, without going to the restaurant

Popeyes biscuits do own tho

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

“mix these few ready made ingredients and walla, just like the drive thru!”

:france:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

2 C flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Whisk it up
Cut in 2-5 tbs unsalted butter depending on if you have company or feel like you've earned it or whatever you base your butter content decisions on.
Stir in 7 fl oz milk
Mix it the absolute minimum it takes to hold together, then dump the dough out onto the counter and begin carefully folding it over on itself and flattening with your hands, not a rolling pin. Each fold makes a flaky layer. Flatten to 3/4" to 1" thick, cut out as many as you can with whatever biscuit or cookie cutter you like. Take the remainders and repeat the folding, flattening, and cutting while handling as little as possible.

Bake at 425F for 9-12 minutes. Thicker and larger diameter ones take longer and will have a bit of golden brown crust before the center is done. Stick em in a bowl wrapped up in a tea towel for 5 minutes before eating to let them finish.

That's my method, which my wife taught me. People like them. More fat in the form of butter and higher fat milk is best, but even just 2 tbs butter and skim milk is still pretty good. There are a lot of other ways to make good biscuits too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That was essentially my point.

And "in my early days" I worked at some (pretty great!) corporate restaurants, but christ they were always using shortcuts to prep food. The amazing fresh complimentary garlic onion bread was just four balls of frozen pizza dough shoved into a pan and thrown into an oven for a few minutes. The RAVED ABOUT caesar dressing was just Renee's (no idea where its reach is, but it's popular in Ontario) with an extra clove of garlic minced in. Anyway my point is the big chains just use whatever the gently caress is available to them, cheap, and fast. Nothing like that is "from scratch".

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

That was essentially my point.

And "in my early days" I worked at some (pretty great!) corporate restaurants, but christ they were always using shortcuts to prep food. The amazing fresh complimentary garlic onion bread was just four balls of frozen pizza dough shoved into a pan and thrown into an oven for a few minutes. The RAVED ABOUT caesar dressing was just Renee's (no idea where its reach is, but it's popular in Ontario) with an extra clove of garlic minced in. Anyway my point is the big chains just use whatever the gently caress is available to them, cheap, and fast. Nothing like that is "from scratch".

That, I think, is something that people who haven't worked in a kitchen don't get. A commercial kitchen is far different from your kitchen at home. It does what it does well, and so do the people. Beyond that, you might not be able to make anything else out of it.

Cooked at a Gulf (of Mexico) style seafood restaurant, designed and run by experienced Chinese owners, for quite a while.

Our unlimited sliced garlic bread? Day old sub sandwich loaves from the local bakery, bias sliced and covered in a compound butter with diced garlic and fresh parsley. Super simple, very cheap, used ingredients we already had on hand. The only "secret" is that it was cooked fresh on a small flat-top grill on the end of the line. We went through huge rubbermaid tubs of the poo poo every day. I doubt one tub cost us more than $2.50, not including labor.

That honey mustard people would rave about? Made by combining French's yellow mustard out of a 2 gallon jug, mayo out of a two gallon jug, honey, and straight up vegetable oil.

My favorite was the clam chowder. $5.95 for this rear end in a top hat (me) to take a can of Campbell's, put it in a pan with 4oz water, 1oz clarified butter, 1oz homemade liquid scampi seasoning, two shakes house seasoning, heat until bubbling, then add 2oz half-and-half to turn it back white. Parsley, dash house seasoning on top. It's popularity says more about Campbell's than anything we did to it.

Our two signature sauces came together on sautee station by adding 1oz pre-made liquid scampi or "bbq" seasoning to the finished protein, eyeballing the half-and-half, then thickening with cornstarch slurry.

Very few dishes had an ingredient that wasn't shared with another dish or two. It was a good education on how to provide variety with few fixin's and little to no waste. Hell, outside of a few very specific things, all the things we used were to the standard we needed them to be as delivered from the back of a truck.

Was it a great restaurant? Very much no, in a lot of ways. Did the people that liked it come back? They very much did.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Good thing cats are self-cleaning, right?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Good thing cats are self-cleaning, right?

You obviously didn't hear about all the cats in Dwarf Fortress that died of alcohol poisoning.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just what I was thinking of :barf:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hahah i just looked up the dwarf fortress cat thing lmao

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Scons ain't great, but neither's anything else. Much like CMake.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

If the mountain won't come to Mohammed, then Mohammed must come to the mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bike tory posted:

Biscuits are much lighter overall. A good scone is heavy as gently caress.