Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

Arist posted:

The traditional souvenir from Hawaii is usually chocolate… Oh, but Morgana can’t eat chocolate.

I'm liking Ann more already. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

(Slim Lady) Oh, y’all from Japan?

What a weird accent…

This is funny considering in Japanese Ryuji comes up and says 'H-hi' awkwardly in English then when they reply in (accented) Japanese he says 'ah, you speak Japanese, that's a relief'

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I wish there wasn't so much effort put into making Ryuji suck. Then again, teenagers are prone to doing dumb poo poo for dumb reasons.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There seems to be some kind of rule that all of the main male friends in Persona (at least in 3 onward) have to have a designated dipshit moment or twelve.

Other designated gags include "women be cookin'" and "the totally funny hot springs gag that never gets old no matter how many times it shows up in literally everything".

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

There seems to be some kind of rule that all of the main male friends in Persona (at least in 3 onward) have to have a designated dipshit moment or twelve.

Other designated gags include "women be cookin'" and "the totally funny hot springs gag that never gets old no matter how many times it shows up in literally everything".

It's really the 'bros' (and Teddie) that get the short end of the stick. Yusuke is fine outside of the early Ann thing, Kanji and Akihiko just get roped into shenanigans.

The upside is that they seem to have retired the cooking thing after P4. At least for now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, when I said "main male friends", I meant Junpei, Yosuke, and Ryuji. Maybe "first male friends" would've been a better way to convey that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My first male friend in P4 was Dojima. :colbert:

He makes me coffee whenever I want.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he's a cop

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ApplesandOranges posted:

My first male friend in P4 was Dojima. :colbert:

He makes me coffee whenever I want.

Sojiro is the superior coffee dad. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 126: Patience Zero (New)

What will this update cover? Well, I’ll tell you in a bit. We’re going to try something a little different for the meat of this one.

Anon: what a time to be alive

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

*yawn* I’m so sleepy.

Still sluggish, huh? Well, same here, dude… Never mind that, though. Did you know about this?

People’re actually payin’ attention to who we’re gonna target next. Ain’t that amazin’? I’m gettin’ really psyched. This is where we work hard! Let’s do something big again and surprise the world!

Oh, mornin’. You’re back today too, huh?
Yes! It’s good to see you both. Um, may I join you two on the way to school? I want to talk a bit more about the trip—and I want to hear all of your stories from Hawaii!

Trust me, no you don’t.

You got it! Should I start with all the heroic stuff me and this dude did for the people of Hawaii?
Ummm…. Yes, that sounds great!

Only new scene in this update.

Anon: AGAIN, YAAAAAAS!
Anon: I knew it!!! hahaha
Anon: Thanks, Phantom Thieves!
Anon: modern day robin hoods~
Anon: I’m totally sold now

There’s another urgent assembly…
Is it true he died?
He was really taking some heat…
What’s happening to this school!? Are we cursed?

Music: Suspicion

(Vice Principal) Um… so, as you may have heard…
(yelling) Principal’s dead, right? We know!
…The principal had been working hard to restore peace and order to Shujin ever since the incident with Mr. Kamoshida. He had nothing but the greatest love for all the students, and wished only for them to go about their school lives in peace…
What a crock of poo poo… Hey, you think the Phantom Thieves took him down? Maybe it wasn’t suicide after all!
Huh…? It wasn’t us!
Will we get blamed for this…?
Remember the late principal’s guiding motto in these turbulent times: *ahem* “No snitches.”

Music: Interrogation Room

Wait, you stole data from my laptop!? You do realize that unlike most of what you’ve told me, that is, in fact, a legitimate crime?
Uhh… poo poo, why did I incriminate myself like that? Sometimes I just go off on a tangent without thinking, argh!
Never mind whatever you’re mumbling about… The only way you could have gotten access is through Makoto…
Yeah, yeah, blame her!
And were you really uninvolved with what happened to Kobayakawa?
Not only do we not kill, I was legitimately out of the country at the time.
I have no reason to believe you… But then again, I have no reason at this point to suspect you’re lying, either. You don’t seem the type to lie just to protect yourself. Fine, keep going. I’ll believe what I must.

I feel like my bond with Sae is growing deeper…

Let’s return to the main topic here, though. If you saw my data, you must’ve come to the same suspicions I did about Okumura. His Palace could have even confirmed those suspicions. What happened afterwards? What did you do? How did this happen?

Early Morning → Evening

Okay, so, I mentioned that we’re going to try something a bit different this time. What we’re going to do is condense the poo poo out of the next several in-game days, even more than we already have been! This will last at least until Morgana’s loving tantrum ends, because I just don’t want to deal with it! Unfortunately, we don’t have an abundance of space (the update up until this point has already used over 10% of the character limit) and we have a lot to get through, so it’s entirely possible I’ll just run out! If that happens, I’m just going to end the update right where I run out, just so you all can see the pure results of this experiment. I’m also going to cut the music links for the rest of this one to facilitate fewer characters. Anyway, let’s get to it!

This update covers content from Parts 102-104 of the original LP.

We should talk about this incident with the principal…
Is it our fault for interfering with Kamoshida?
No, that’s dumb.
I’ve been seeing a lot of comments online that have been praising us while attacking politicians and the police.
This is getting a little too heated for me…
Let’s just talk about the data.
Inari, you read it…
Niijima-san has identified a beneficiary of the majority of mental shutdowns recently… Kunikazu Okumura, the CEO of Okumura Foods. They run Big Bang Burger… Be it scandals or resignations, they have benefited heavily from these incidents.
It’s certainly suspicious, but is it enough evidence?
I already put his name in the Nav. He has a Palace.
Then we gotta go after him!
That’s right. He’s at the top of the rankings, too.
I’m unsettled by the fervency of this Phantom Thieves fad, though…
So am I… we should let things calm down a bit…

Lame! You’re all chicken! Especially you, Ryuji!
We agree, idiot!
Whatever. I can take down Okumura on my own. I’ll get all the credit! I’ll show you all which of us is useless!
Well, that was a loaded sentence…
Goodbye forever, morons!

Is this okay…?
…He’ll be back.

I’ll have to manage on my own again, but it’s time to take down Okumura first!

Ah gently caress, a Sae and Akechi scene? Too many side scenes, game! I need to finish this quickly!

Seems like the public only cares about the Phantom Thieves, not that principal…
I am also frustrated with the public attitude. I’ve been getting a lot of hate recently for my own stance on them…
I’m convinced now. The Phantom Thieves are connected to Okumura and are responsible for the mental shutdowns and psychotic breakdowns.
Do you have any actual evidence of this, or…
Shut up.
You’re always jumping the gun. You did the same thing with that café owner… You need to be less aggressive here. You’re not even a police officer, you don’t have jurisdiction here.
And you’re barely eighteen. I repeat: shut the gently caress up. I can’t catch the Phantom Thieves if I stick to protocol.
Then what’s the difference between your justice and theirs? What a shame…

I was easily defeated… Who could have seen this coming?
WHAT SHOULD WE DO WITH THIS FELINE?
LEAVE IT. IT IS NOT OUR JOB TO DISPOSE OF TRASH.

Huh…?

Anon: I’m totally sold now

Early Morning

Have you seen Morgana since then?
Nope. Think I might have finally managed to shake off his yoke. Hell yeah.
Don’t be so cold… He never came back last night…

…And they should do it again!

Early Morning → Morning

“The Okumura Way”… And it was even signed! With his logical management skills, he revived his company that was on the verge of bankruptcy. He then started Big Bang Burger, a bold and creative venture. Okumura’s words are a philosophy on life itself! How could she sell that to a second-hand shop…? But, in times like these, getting one’s mind to switch gears is key. Wouldn’t you agree, Hamiru-kun? A secondhand shop is mostly meant for sale of goods and supporting charitable causes, but… What does a pawn shop offer that a secondhand shop doesn’t?

Correct. Thrift stores are comparatively less focused on money management… But larger businesses could donate unused stock to them, and use them as a tax write-off that way. It takes incredible business acumen to figure out how to be profitable and charitable at once.

I feel like I got a little smarter from being able to answer that question…

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

I just remembered; there are rumors that President Okumura may be getting into politics. It is true that the current administration is incompetent in a number of ways… I would love to have a charismatic man like him leading the country.

Morning → Afternoon

*annoyed sigh*

Afternoon → Evening

JESUS CHRIST. JUST CATCH THE INTRUDERS ALREADY. IF THE BOSS FINDS OUT ABOUT THIS IT IS MY rear end ON THE LINE.
SHUT UP DEREK. IF YOU THINK IT IS SO EASY DO IT YOURSELF.

Mona’s still gone…
Don’t look so glum. I’m sure he’ll come back when he gets hungry.
(Newscaster) Our next story concerns vandalism at the corporate headquarters of Okumura Foods. Late last night, multiple windows were found shattered there, and a statue of the CEO was also defaced. However, there were no signs of a break-in, and identifying a suspect is expected to be difficult. …Listen, folks, I get it, slow news day, but please don’t change the channel.

>You really think he’d stoop to petty vandalism? Okay, actually, never mind, stupid question. You said Okumura had a Palace, right? Let’s investigate it tomorrow with the others.
Are you two texting each other? You’re sitting two feet away!

I’m worried about Morgana…

There was a “voice of the people” segment here, but I cut it for space. Probably gonna do that with any others that pop up in this update.

Anon: Their word is final.

Early Morning

(Slouching Office Worker) Blah blah blah Okumura is the greatest CEO ever!

Very strange that half the populace is in a killfrenzy for Okumura and the other half think he’s the bestest CEO in the world. Actually, never mind, that’s just politics-as-sports-fandom, it’s sadly completely normal.

Early Morning → After School

This place is huge… Mona really came here?
Not necessarily. That vandalism could have been some completely unrelated incident. But that would be ridiculous.
Either way, Okumura’s mad suspicious. He’s gotta be guilty!
I’ve already got his keywords. The distortion is “outer space”!
How’d you puzzle that one out?
I guessed randomly. It took many hours.
Are we ready? Let’s go.

Wait, why am I following them into the Metaverse? It doesn’t help me at all. I already know they’re the Phantom Thieves, and this just gives them a chance to blow my cover. …gently caress, didn’t think this one through.

We’re already considered threats…?
After everything in the news, Okumura must be on guard.
Mona keeps makin’ trouble for us…

Whoa…
I’m mostly just confused how we got inside the building. There’s no air out there!

Well, let’s get to it.

All of the other Palaces have seemed out of this world, but this one’s really in space…

Robots! Cool!
They’re saying… “No work, no pay! Keep productive or be terminated!”
This must be how Okumura sees his workers…

It fell…

It’s being disposed of…
I toldja Okumura was bad news!
We’re here for Mona…
Do we have to get Mona back, anyway? My self-esteem’s gone through the roof the last couple days without him bringing me down.
We can get you two some couples’ therapy later. Let’s move.

If we turn around from the end of that cutscene, we can jump down and find a treasure chest.

ERROR: NOT AUTHORIZED. gently caress OFF.

Let me iiiiiin!
You’re not gonna force that massive door, dude…
If we can’t get past this, then Mona probably couldn’t either…
Hark! You will go no further, impetuous vigilantes!

Huh!?

Wait… a black… mask…?
Could she be…?
Both of your masks are also black.
No, I think it’s definitely her!
Phantom Thieves, attack!
Huh!?
Okay, I should probably intervene here…

Mona!
Long time no see.
Not really…
We’ve been looking for you, Mona.
You’d better give up on finding the Treasure, because I and this… this Beauty Thief will be the ones victorious in the end!
What? Beauty Thief?
Mona! This is embarrassing…
She has a Persona too!
…Yes! I am Beauty Thief!
I don’t get it. Are you a thief who is beautiful, or a thief of beauty? Or both?

Silence! We will take the Treasure!
You guys already said that…
You bring shame to phantom thieves everywhere!
Good, good, do it like we rehearsed!
What does being a phantom thief even mean to you philistines?
Uh, I dunno. Generally it’s just kind of a pain in the rear end…
That’s inadequate! Oh darn, I studied this, what came next? Oh, right! You! With the fox mask! Be less clueless!
Huh!?
And the blond one… you’re incredibly vulgar and stupid!
Ouch…
Next is… Catgirl! You should be more considerate when your friend has a crush on you!
What the gently caress, Mona…?
We’re all loving this comedy routine, but can we just get to the point here?
Wait your turn, I had one for each of you!
Nah, just skip to the end… This isn’t going so great…
I really don’t think she’s behind the mental shutdowns, guys…
Took you this long to figure that out?
We will take the Treasure!
Stop saying that!
Whatever. We can open that door that’s been stymieing you, so this is where we leave you behind…

Don’t warn them, you guys. At this point, I’m inclined to say we should just let them die.
Everybody run!
Goddammit, Panther…

After School → Evening

Is everyone okay?

They kept chasing me forever!
I wonder how that Beauty Thief opened that biometric lock? And I feel like I recognize her from school… But I can’t put a name to a face. We should check the registry tomorrow.
Futaba and I will investigate Okumura Foods, then.

People’re really itchin’ for us to take down Okumura!
I wonder how word of Okumura’s abuses got out… Perhaps there was a whistleblower.
All this is worrying… Can we really accept all this at face value?
>I mean, we saw his Palace, Makoto. There’s not really a lot of room for doubt.

Anon: calling card plz!!

Early Morning

(Surprised Office Worker) The CEO of Big Bang Burger? Why is he so hated?
(Gossipy Office Worker) They’re lovely to their employees and strong-arm their competitors! I heard a pissed-off former employee was the one behind the vandalism!
poo poo… I guess it *was* a red herring.

Early Morning → Afternoon

Hey, that Beauty Thief didn’t even actually have a Persona, did she?
>Not from what I saw.
Just what are you getting up to, Mona…?

This one’s hot… ugh, but she’s younger than me.
Ryuji, do I need to explain to you how creepy this is? Stay focused.
There’s so many girls at our school… Sorry, this might have been a bad idea.
I’ll say. What kind of ramshackle operation is this? We’re basically just searching at random. Even if we found her, it would be incredibly improbab—
Found her!
Goddammit.

Haru… Okumura!?
Makoto, are you actually dumb? Because I feel like you should have figured this out long before we got to this point.
You didn’t figure it out either!
Yeah, well, I was born stupid. What’s your excuse?
Ugh… she might have already left. Let’s reconvene tomorrow now that we have a name.

Uh, hey. You need a hand with that?
Would you? That’d be lovely.

Thank you! Hm… You seem familiar…
I think we talked in Hawaii. This time I have you at a loss, heh.
No, it’s… something else. Anyway, I never introduced myself. I’m—
Haru Okumura.

Um, yes, that’s my name. You must be Niijima-san, the student council president.
We’re not here to talk about me. Why were you in your father’s Palace yesterday?
Oh, that’s where I saw you. You guys found me out quick! Good job! Now… any final words? I can’t have people who know my secret identity walking around freely.
Let’s not jump to violence. We all know each other’s identities, so we’re square.
Aww…
You still haven’t answered my question.
I’d been having doubts about my father for some time now. I came across Mona-chan by chance. I followed him and ended up in the Metaverse. I can’t change my father’s company, but as a phantom thief, I could at least change him…
Shouldn’t we just work together, then?
I don’t think that would work out. You’re causing a massive stir in society, but you won’t follow through… Either stick to petty criminals or really change things, that’s what I think. And besides, you’re not even helping your own teammate. You seem to be adrift at the moment…
Ouch. You see right through us, huh? Well, in our defense, the cat started it.
I’ll change my father’s heart with Mona-chan alone. Goodbye.

After School → Evening

(talking on phone) Drive away the voyeurs in the press. This furor is giving me a headache… *hangs up* Of course this Phantom Thieves mess happens when I finally gain political influence… It’s like the powers that be are resisting my forthcoming campaign… but… no, that’s impossible… Haru. I know you’ve been standing there silently.
Eep!
Did the media harass you? Did you tell them anything?
No, father. Um, what’s this about Phantom Thieves?
It seems I’m ranked first on the list of potential targets on their forum. The damnable news has tarnished my image. It’s all just jealousy of my power. None have the resolve to make the necessary sacrifices for the good of all but I. They are all obsessed with their false idols. This country is doomed.
Oh god, he’s doing another JRPG villain speech…
What about you? I hope things are going well with Sugimura?
Um… yes, father, they are…
Good. He’s the son of a powerful politician and his connections will be most valuable to me in the future.
I understand… I’ll try my best to get along with him.

Good. That’s how a daughter of Okumura should be.

Eeurgh. Anyway, apropos of nothing, Xanthe Huynh is probably the voice actor in the main P5 cast who’s risen the most in my estimation since I first played it. Like, Haru was the first role I heard her in, and I thought she was okay, but since then she’s been in a lot of really great roles and gotten to show off a ton. I’m definitely a fan.

People were thanking us for taking care of requests we never actually completed.
Might Morgana and Haru be going into Mementos without us?
Let’s stake out Mementos tomorrow and look for them.

At this point, checking every item in the attic every night Morgana is gone is just weirdly funny to me. It’s the only reason I’m including it.

Anon: we all agree on Okumura

Early Morning

Tons of companies do the same thing Okumura Foods does, right?
(Noncommittal Guy) Well, a ton of weird poo poo has been happening to his competitors, right?
I don’t buy that occult BS. I only believe in hard science, like phantom thieves who steal hearts!

Early Morning → Morning

Come on, you’re young! Hawaii doesn’t even count as going to a foreign country. It’s full of Japanese tourists. I bet you were able to speak Japanese wherever you went, weren’t you? The shopkeepers will use Japanese to pressure you into buying things as if their life depended on it. I’m used to it though, so I actually haggle with them in English. Mr. Hamiru! Show me how much your English has improved. What’s one of the supposed origins for the phrase “cat got your tongue”?

Good! In ancient Egypt, it’s said that tongues of liars and blasphemers were cut out and fed to cats. It’s also possible it came from the pirates’ “cat-o-nine-tails” leaving a prisoner too stung to talk. There are actually a lot of other expressions involving cats.

“A cat has nine lives,” for instance. That relates to how cats seem capable of surviving all kinds of dangers—even ones you’d expect to kill them.

Morning → After School

Okay, so when he gets here…
Fine, yeah, I’ll apologize, all right? Not really sure what I even did, though…
See, that’s the exact kind of thing you *shouldn’t* say.

Oh, hello everyone!
What are you all doing here?
If you recklessly accept requests like that, the police will track you down in no time.
I mean, to be fair to them, we’ve never actually rejected a request. We’ve still got that video game cheater on the docket.
Oh… I’m sorry… I didn’t intend to cause trouble for everyone… I’m not very good with machines, you see.

So, side note: if you play the spinoff game Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight, Haru’s poor affinity with technology is played up. I had assumed that they just invented that character trait to give her more fun quirks, but nope, there’s one (1) line in the base game that references this, and it’s still in Royal! I just totally forgot about it!

Don’t apologize!
They’re warning us, though. We should be appreciative.
Come on, Mona. Please, we need you back.
Really…?
Yeah, we need you!
Lady Ann…
Yeah, come on back. I even promise I won’t make fun of you when that weird boxing glove attack you got misses.
Ryuji!
Um, don’t we need to be using code names…?
*Thank* you! Finally, someone gets it!
Why you…! Lucky Punch is a god-tier ability! I will not let you besmirch it!
I’m just sayin’, we haven’t needed it for the last couple Palaces.
I’ll show you! I’ll show you all! Come, Beauty Thief! *turns into car*

Well, I saw that coming. Come on, let’s chase him.

Wait, didn’t he go the other way? How did we get onto the tracks?
Uh… good question. I wasn’t really paying attention.
*sigh*

You can’t run any more!
I’m a car, you idiots. *nearly runs the group over*

Huh!?
My word…!
What the gently caress, dude!?
Uh, whoa, maybe ease up a bit there Haru—
KILLDOZER!
We’re gonna crash!

We got you now!
Look over there! It’s some manner of distraction!
Huh?

drat, can’t believe that worked again. Well, at least I wasn’t the only one who fell for it.
Yes, you were…
Then why didn’t you stop them?
It’s a *car.*

Hmph…
Are you sure about that, Mona-chan?
There you are…!

Here’s some weird trivia about Sugimura: dude has the standard number of portrait variations most characters do, six… but four of them are smiles or smirks, including a creepy grin reminiscent of Adachi. I don’t know why he, of all characters, got this level of attention.

What have you been doing out with no reception? Ah, I get it—you were out late loving some guy, right?
No, I wasn’t…!
If you’re gonna be that easy, you should at least let me have some fun too…

Really don’t like writing for this guy!

Ow…!
Let go of Haru!

Mew…
Mona-chan!
I really am useless… Someone… help…

Please… stop!

You all…
We were wandering around aimlessly and overheard your argument by complete happenstance. Please, let the lady go.
Mona! He’s hurt!
Apologies for the disturbance. I was just having a lover’s quarrel with my foolish fiancée here.
She clearly doesn’t want anything to do with you, though!
Hmph… I’ll be telling your father about this embarrassment, Okumura-san… And don’t think I’ll forget your faces either…

Mona-chan!
I’m… fine.
That was your fiancé, Okumura-san?
That wasn’t a normal fight though… Shouldn’t you talk to your parents about that?
It wouldn’t matter… I’d be told to grovel for forgiveness… *sobs*
Listen, I’m sorry about everything, so… can we let Haru rest somewhere?
Sure, let’s take her back to Leblanc for now. If I glare hard enough at Sojiro he won’t ask too many questions.
Thanks…

I think I’m fine now… Thanks, everyone. Are you all right, Mona-chan?
Anyway, it’s exactly as I feared. I’m useless. You all shouldn’t have to risk your lives for me anymore. We should head our separate ways.
God, you have a big head.
Huh!?
We certainly weren’t being phantom thieves for your sake.
We’ll risk our lives all on our own, thank you very much!
You guys…
You told me when I found you that you wanted to get stronger and have the others acknowledge you as a Phantom Thief. You truly want to be here, don’t you?
No… O-Of course not…
I was lying to myself too… I said I wanted to stop my father, but when I formed a contract with my Persona, I understood… I just didn’t want to get married. I thought adults were above reproach, so my father’s decision couldn’t be wrong. But this has to stop!

I can’t stand that creep!

Now it’s your turn, Mona-chan. Why do you want to be human so badly?
I thought of this team as a temporary measure until I regained my self… But I never got anywhere with that… And the more time passed, the more I just wanted a reason to stay here… I have no other purpose, no drive for revenge or person to save… This team is… the only place I can belong!
Took you long enough!
We feel the same.
Well mostly. I wouldn’t begrudge it if you gave me a little more personal space.
No. But… sorry I worried you all. I’m here to stay now! No canceling our deal!

I feel like my bond with Morgana is growing deeper…

Well, we should get goin’. The last train’s comin’ up.
We’ll resume this conversation tomorrow.
I should…
Stay with us tonight! It’ll be fine!
I assume when you say “stay with us” you mean “stay with Futaba and Sojiro in their nice house” and not “sleep on this filthy couch while Maaku snores”.
Yeah, exactly!
See you guys tomorrow!
Let’s sleep. I’m exhausted. Man… I missed this gross attic…

It might not be easy for her to relax right now, but I hope this’ll at least help her cheer up a bit.

And we’re stopping the count at… 48.5k characters (out of slightly less than 50k maximum)! Well, that’s what my word processor says, but the count in the post window says more like 49.2k. It was close, but I still can’t believe I managed to condense this entire loving arc into one update! Not really eager to replicate this experiment, though, because there’s tons of stuff I wanted to give more time and as frustrating as it can be sometimes, I relish the opportunity to wring whatever I can out of the story instead of just skipping past it. Like, there’s parts of this update where I felt like I was in full “Oops! I forgot to tell a joke!” mode because it changed my priorities so much. Covering this much material all at once doesn’t leave a lot of time or room for fun improvisation. But hopefully this wasn’t a huge misfire, either. I’ll see you all next time, now that we’re finally past this.

Arist fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 18, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Oh hey I must have missed this one, since it gives an explanation for how the break-up suddenly happened despite Morgana telegraphing it for months, even if it's a dumb one.

It's kind of notable to me that the only two things Joker is capable of doing on his own are going to school and stepping up to a guy harassing a woman. Literally every other thing he does requires his emotional support cat to be there, or in its absence, Ryuji or Futaba taking the lead. Guy can't even play video games alone.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

Arist posted:

…The principal had been working hard to restore peace and order to Shujin ever since the incident with Mr. Kamoshida. He had nothing but the greatest love for all the students, and wished only for them to go about their school lives in peace…

"greatest love for students" while he and the school staff covered up a suicide attempt while jerking off the gym teacher :jerkbag:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish the Lucky Punch conversation was actually in the game. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 18, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh hey I must have missed this one, since it gives an explanation for how the break-up suddenly happened despite Morgana telegraphing it for months, even if it's a dumb one.

It's kind of notable to me that the only two things Joker is capable of doing on his own are going to school and stepping up to a guy harassing a woman. Literally every other thing he does requires his emotional support cat to be there, or in its absence, Ryuji or Futaba taking the lead. Guy can't even play video games alone.

I mean to be fair that is at least a good thing to have your protagonist do on autopilot.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This is, in my opinion, a significant factor that leads to Joker not having as much of a perceived character as the other silent protagonists do; you can infer character from first person descriptions, but everything in P5 is dictated to you by Morgana. I imagine this is why the anime doesn't give Ren anywhere near as much to do as Yu, because there's just less to work with; clearly A-1 can walk the walk, since they did the P4G anime and that was totally fine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, Morgana isn't around for any of the Confidant links so anything Joker does then is by his own volition, at least.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah okay Joker actually does stuff during confidant hangs, but Morgana still has to drops him off and pick him back up once the confidant is done minding him. I am exaggerating a bit, but I like the contrast of Joker always being the cool cucumber when anyone needs him to take charge or just be supportive, but is too depressed to do anything but school and sleep if he's alone. I'm not sure it's even deliberate; I imagine they just didn't want to write and add Morgana-free versions of all the Leblanc activities for a whopping three evenings' worth, but I like the read for rounding out his character.

E: also he's a total showboat and a smug little poo poo in the Metaverse, in contrast to his stoic self in the mundane world, which is explicitly called out

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 18, 2023

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah okay Joker actually does stuff during confidant hangs, but Morgana still has to drops him off and pick him back up once the confidant is done minding him. I am exaggerating a bit, but I like the contrast of Joker always being the cool cucumber when anyone needs him to take charge or just be supportive, but is too depressed to do anything but school and sleep if he's alone. I'm not sure it's even deliberate; I imagine they just didn't want to write and add Morgana-free versions of all the Leblanc activities for a whopping three evenings' worth, but I like the read for rounding out his character.

E: also he's a total showboat and a smug little poo poo in the Metaverse, in contrast to his stoic self in the mundane world, which is explicitly called out

This is the same dynamic that I like so much about the base game's songs. All the lyrical Metaverse tracks (except for Whims of Fate which isn't from the Phantom Thieves' POV) are so brash and boastful, and then you have Beneath the Mask which is basically "oh no please don't let them notice me". It helps a lot in supporting how vulnerable the PTs are when they don't have their superpowers.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Experiment successful, IMO. The Morgana Tantrum Arc sucks and I'm glad that we got past it as quickly as possible.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, I was very relieved when you explained what was going on. Was not looking forward to that slog.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Hell, you made it feel so breezy I almost forgot it was the series' absolute nadir in terms of pacing, IMO.

(Thinking about it, pacing is... Far from being the series' strongest suit, so I can see an argument for 2nd or even 3rd place.)

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
As someone who's still more a fan of Morgana than Ryuji: thank you.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Are you two texting each other? You’re sitting two feet away!
Kids these days!

Arist posted:

I’ve already got his keywords. The distortion is “outer space”!
How’d you puzzle that one out?
He is the CEO of a company that owns "Big Bang Burger." It was fairly easy, barely an inconvenience!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 127: 9/18-9/19: Virtuous Mission

This update covers content from Part 104 of the original LP.

The title for this update is brought to you by my lack of any compelling alternative.

Anon: Time to take down Okumura

Early Morning

Music: Break it Down

Huh? You sly dog, bringing over another girl…
If you hit on her, I’ll punch you.
Kid with your record really oughta be less cavalier about threats… Just don’t break her heart, okay?
Anyway, thanks for taking care of our cat while he was missing.
Oh, now it’s “our” cat…
It was no trouble.
Really, it was more me taking care of her…

*giggles*
What’s up? You seem happy.
It’s been a while since I’ve had a meal with so many people.
Make sure you go home today before it gets too late, okay? I’m sure your parents are worried.

Okumura’s worried… About his investment, more like.
You don’t have to go home if you don’t want to.
No, I should go back… If I don’t keep up appearances, my father will be on guard. That will make it harder to change his heart, no?
If you need, I can go with you.
*looking up hopefully*
No, you belong here, don’t you?
Hehe… yeah.
This girl’s a sadist.
Huh? How did you…?

I think I’m gonna need to set some kind of hard limit on how frequently I can make Psycho Haru jokes, because while on the one hand she joins really late so she needs the exposure, on the other I’m afraid of overplaying it. It’ll have to be a delicate balance.

Early Morning → Daytime

The matter’s been settled. You’ll be welcomed into his household.

Huh…!?

Music: Disquiet

Your engagement won’t be official yet, but I hear that kind of premarital cohabitation is all the rage with young people these days. If you go prove your sincerity by apologizing for last night, it’ll be smooth sailing.
So you’re already sending me away to live with some strange man…
You’re so pointlessly defiant lately… You even stayed out overnight without permission yesterday. You need to keep better company, I’ve told you time and time again…

I have my hands full right now with the company. Don’t cause any more trouble for me.

Hello…? …I need to discuss something with everyone. Can we all meet?

This sure was a nice, productive day of sitting on my bed motionless for three hours!

We’ve already come this far. We don’t wanna back out now, right?
It seems incontrovertible that he is involved in the mental shutdown cases. We need to pursue him.
And we can’t disappoint our fans, either!
We’ll need Haru’s help, though.
Oh, right. She just contacted me and said she wanted to chat at Leblanc tonight. Seemed serious.
We’ll continue this tonight, then.

Haru… What could be wrong? I wonder why she wants to talk to us…

Daytime → Evening

Anon: corrupt companies suck rear end!
Anon: that ceo is shady af
Anon: they better not ignore this
Anon: Wreck that cruel company!
Anon: im gettin so hype rn

The Phantom Thieves wouldn’t let us down, would they?
They’ll definitely do it!
I want to watch the guilt eat him away…
I wonder what they’re going to tell us this time.

So you’re being sent to live with that fiancé guy from last night? That’s bad…
It’ll happen on the 11th… meaning our deadline is the 10th.
Are you okay with us doing this, Haru? If we change your father’s heart, he’ll be arrested, and you’ll forever be labeled as the daughter of a criminal. You might even be forced out of your home…
I can’t accept happiness that comes from the misery of my father’s workers. I’d be no better than him if I did. Besides, if we don’t do this, my living situation will change anyway, and for the absolute worst. But since you’re acting if I have resolve to do this… I have for a while, actually. I even left a request on the Phantom Aficionado Website recently, but it was never responded to.
Mishima, you have one job…
Anyway, that’s when I met Mona-chan… It was like fate. That’s when I decided if the Phantom Thieves wouldn’t help me, I’d do it myself.
It seems that our interests have all aligned.
Will you cooperate with us, then?
To be honest, I was expecting to have to ask you to join the team…
Unfortunately, Haru’s barely an amateur. To be frank, she may even be a burden as she is now. Her Persona doesn’t even have a solid form yet.

Like, intellectually, I understand that there isn’t actually anything wrong with the idea that Haru has a weird, half-formed spirit of rebellion that lets her transform but doesn’t manifest into a full Persona yet, but it’s kind of weird in execution. It’s like, they were struggling with remnants of old drafts and couldn’t figure out how to kludge together different plot beats, because you need to see Haru’s proper awakening but you also want to get all the earlier stuff with her and Morgana. Actually, knowing this game, that’s probably exactly what happened.

I’m also just now realizing that it’s rather strange that Morgana enters the Palace, instantly eats poo poo, then comes back with Haru later and despite her being pretty much worse than useless in her current state, does fine. Very odd, that.

Sorry for making you all protect me…
Eh, don’t worry about it. Most of us weren’t exactly hot poo poo when we first entered a Palace.
Speak for yourself.
But if you can help us target your dad, it really works out for us. We’ve been getting a lot of hate online for not takin’ care of him yet.
Things have really been getting heated in the comments section…
Don’t forget we have to solve the mental shutdowns too.
We’ll do both, obviously!

October, uhh, 10th, was it? We’re gonna change Okumura’s heart by then!

Music: Beneath the Mask

As Phantom Thieves, it’s our duty to punish him!

Oh, and you didn’t get rusty while I was gone, did you?

The company has remained silent in response to questions from the media. Intense questioning from the media will likely continue until they get a satisfactory explanation.
We need to do something before Haru gets wrapped up in all this.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Check this picture out…! This is basically a show, considering how crazy this looks!

I didn’t know billiards could be so exciting…! The book even had a detailed explanation and pictures on how to do the massé shot that we were trying to figure out. But we’ll have to see if you can actually pull it off. Let’s go play sometime soon!

Anon: Yeah, get that greedy CEO!

Daytime

Music: Tokyo Emergency

If Haru’s sold off, the Phantom Thieves will never live it down.

Hey, why don’t I have school today?
It’s Respect for the Aged Day.
Well, I don’t have any!

Still not jazzed about the “sold off” phrasing, there.

(Elderly Male Customer) It’s the government’s fault. Why do they pick on people on the National Pension like us? Young people are pathetic, too. They’re so quick to complain and claim they’re getting exploited.

(Sad Old Man) This all happened because young people these days are too weak. They give up too easily.
(Kind Old Woman) You think so? I think they work just as hard as we did, don’t they?
No! They’re weak, I’m telling you!

(DJ) We’ve been gathering stories about corrupt bosses people have worked for. We’ve gotten tons of responses so far. People have been sending stories of such terrible things…
They’re blowing things out of proportion. Kids these days are just too soft.

Huh? Kotaro seems kinda tired though…
(Lazy Dog) *whine*
(Gentle-Looking Mother) This summer was really hot, so he’s a little worn out… Let’s leave the bad guys to the Phantom Thieves and let him rest.

Movie theater’s open since we filled that request.

Right now, we’re just in time to see Showtime Redemption. It’s the story of a man who accidentally joins the circus, but then rises up in the world through his own charm.

The movie raises Charm, but we don’t need any right now. We’ll abstain from seeing this one.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Instead, let’s finally see Yusuke about that Masukunda card for our next Strength request.

Other cards I notice that I’m going to want to duplicate soon are Matarukaja and Triple Down.

(Arrogant Housewife) It’s all lies! Everyone’s out to get Okumura Foods because they’re jealous of its success!
Are you sure? My husband, he never receives any overtime pay, so… I wonder if they’ll pin this on the CEO. He should probably just admit the truth. Ohoho…

Oh god, she’s doing the Ojou laugh, her transformation into Not-So-Modest Housewife is almost complete…

Homeless Man has nothing new to say to us, sadly.

(Aggressive Reporter) Stirring up the popularity of the Phantom Thieves was a success. Now we’ll focus on Okumura Foods!
We shouldn’t go too far… Okumura’s a major sponsor of ours, you know.
I told you, don’t get cold feet! Our viewers can’t get enough of the Phantom Thieves’ craze! We’ll get to bash both the police and the politicians. It’ll be double the fun. *snicker*

That is the fate of an economic supremacist, contaminated by the surge of darkness!
(Man with Clear Eyes) Stand up, Phantom Thieves! Apostles of the Sun! Go and fulfill the will of the Sun God!
Please remember this: The Phantom Thieves only exist thanks to the Sun God!

Thinking about what happened with Okumura Foods made me realize that…
(Middle-Aged Lady) I’m not sure that’s a good comparison… Anyway, how old did you tell your boyfriend you were?
…I told him I was 15 years younger than I really am.

(Veteran Station Attendant) Yeah… Maybe people have gotten happier because of the Phantom Thieves.
That’s the way I feel, Chief! Not even a stern scolding from you could bring me down!
You’re never gonna change, are you…

The girls love lines like that. It’s all thanks to the Phantom Thieves!
(Veteran Pick-Up Artist) Hoho, you’re starting to get the hang of it. Hit a home run with that Love Thief line, did you?
Actually, the “Love Thief” line didn’t work out so well. I always hear it’s lame and hard to get…

(Kichijoji-Native Girl) You know the rankings are just based on the image people have. Actually living here, you’ll see it’s just full of chain stores. Is there another place you want to live?
Gotta be Shibuya, of course! Oh, but Ebisu looks like a stylish place, too!
Someone’s easily influenced by these rankings…

Speaking of which, ya know how Halloween is creepin’ up on us, my man?

It’s not even Spooky Month yet! drat this Halloween creep!

Costumes of the Phantom Thieves are the number one seller. The Halloween marketing war is on.

That’s not gonna age well.

So this time, I want you to get me the stylish Thief Mask. I’ll trade you for this Magic Up Ofuda. I can’t afford to miss out on this. I’m countin’ on ya, man.

As it turns out, we don’t actually have the Thief Mask at the moment. We’ll have to go pick one up in a bit.

(Trendsetting Mom) Well, you shouldn’t be eating fast food anyway. Everyone knows you have to go organic! We’re in Kichijoji! We should go to a trendy café instead of a lame fast food chain.
(Bobbed-Hair Girl) But, Mommy, you liked Big Bang Burger, too, before we moved to Kitchy-Joe-Gee!
Mami-chan, shhh! Can you use your inside voice, please? And don’t tell the other mommies about that, ‘kay?

(Muhen) But if the business doesn’t perform well because of that, wouldn’t that lead to more restructuring?
…Maybe. Still, evil must perish. I bet the Phantom Thieves will take things in the right direction.
A scalpel may be needed at times, but don’t you think it’s dangerous to have blind faith in it?

If we head over to Rocinante in Shibuya, we can find the Thief Mask. We pick up one for Sakai, one for ourselves, and a Calling Postcard while we’re there.

Unbelievable! Is that really the Thief Mask!? Do you want to trade for this Magic Up Ofuda?
>Let’s trade.
Good answer! …… …Here’s your Magic Up Ofuda.

These are the same as the Strength Up Ofuda he gave us last time, but they give Concentrate instead of Charge, which applies the 2.5x boost to a magic attack instead of a physical one.

So this is the Thief Mask… There’s so much attention to detail… This was a great deal. Thank you. I look forward to our next trade.

Oh, geez, did I upset you? Well, let me make it up to you by showing this brand new product!

Don’t be so full of yourself, kid. I’m no phantom thief, but I can make you beg for forgiveness, too.

And the other options:

Oh, got you interested, huh? Well, if that’s the case, you ought to see our new product!

Don’t be so full of yourself, kid. I’m no phantom thief, but I can make you beg for forgiveness, too.

Wanna-B-Alert presents our new security guarantee plan, based on our cutting edge security cameras! Our invader detection system is the first of its kind, using the latest in facial recognition tech! You never know who’s watching you. Wouldn’t you feel safer knowing you could catch them in the act?

(Serious-Looking Lawyer) Who knows? It’s not as flashy a target as Medjed though. Companies all over the country exploit their workers. Will taking down one of them change anything?
I’m sure it’ll affect public opinion. I guess we’ll sit back and watch what they do.

I tried numerous times, but the “Empress” card keeps appearing. Last time, I felt that you were having trouble with women, but I sense something different now… A-Anyway, please be careful… Well then, shall I read your fortune in detail…?

Our plan for today is to hang out with Shinya, who gives Kindness, so we’ll boost our Kindness gain.

It seems you will greatly benefit from taking actions that will increase your Kindness.

(Beautiful Maid) Ugh, don’t tell me what to do, you annoying jerk.
Whoa, it’s true! She’s a real life tsundere maid! Yeah, harsh on the outside, and shy on the inside.
Gross… Gross, gross, gross! Don’t come near me!

I’m not sensing much of the “dere” here, though…

(Skinny Man) Must be a leak from the opposition party. I read about that on a news blog.
Really!?
See for yourself. Just search for “Okumura Foods” in the archives and you’ll find a lot of articles.

(Busy-Looking Young Man) Don’t worry! I cut my losses! If I want to rule the market, I should know when to back out! I’m gonna live as a trader. No, I was born to be a trader!
Huh? Wait, what about your job?
Didn’t I tell you? I quit! We’ll rrrevolutionize ourselves and live like celebrities!

Lady, this man is clearly having some manner of psychotic break.

You can get all kinds of Phantom Thieves stuff. I got a Phantom Thieves badge. I wonder what I’ll get next…

What are you gonna do? Are you gonna have Shinya teach you how to shoot?

Let’s keep playing.
Well, I’m gonna walk around. Let me know when you’re ready to leave.

Tower Rank 2: Part 107

Music: Wicked Plan

You! Look at me! If you don’t get your head in the game right this instant I’m trading you to Hokkaido! Maybe their desperate esports team will accept a scrub like you!
But coach, I need this opportunity!

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

You took so long to figure it out, it’s gonna be dark soon…
Sorry about that.
It’s fine. I only get heated because I care about Gun About. I never wanna lose at this game…

It’s past your bedtime, sport. Shouldn’t your mommy come to pick you up and give you a nice glass of warm milk soon?
Eat my shorts.
Do I need to call your parents? Say, why are you hanging out with this teenager, anyway? It’s kind of…
…Fine, I’ll leave. Happy?

*sigh*

That was rather demeaning.

Seriously. I… really wanted to keep playing.

…It’s so boring at home. I’m always all alone there with nothing to do. I’m jealous you’re in high school. You get to play all night long. With that much time, I could get as strong as I need… If I didn’t have to go to school, I could play all day. I’d never lose again…

…I need to get really strong, like the Phantom Thieves.

You really admire them, huh?
Of course! They’re the strongest!
I’ll pass on your appreciation to them.
Really!? Thanks!

Seriously though, I can’t stop thinking about that employee. He was super annoying, huh? If he says something again, I might just have to use that move on him.

Let’s keep the violence in-game, Shinya.
Yeah, sure, whatever. But speaking of that move, you should be able to pull it off now. Make sure you use it!

I feel like my bond with Shinya is growing deeper…

You know I was just kidding about using that move on him, right? It wouldn’t work outside of the game anyway… Man, it would be cool if it did, though. Then I’d be so strong in real life…

I need to be able to win in real life… …… …I’m gonna head home.
Interacting with Shinya has made my heart grow… I feel like my Kindness has increased…

Maaku gains Kindness +3, including the boost from Chihaya.

Sweet, we just have to max Guts now. Unfortunately, we only have one Guts book left and we’re still not quite in striking distance of the final rank, so we might have to take a trip or two back to Big Bang Burger…

*heave*

…or at least just watch some movies. Unfortunately, consulting the rotation at all three movie theaters tells us that the next Guts movie isn’t available until November, so we’ll probably have to finally finish watching that rented zombie DVD we got.

I was bored, so I thought I’d call. I forgot to mention earlier, but you gotta keep practicing even on single-player, okay? Everyone sucks at first, but you can get good if you do it every day!

I’m practicing a lot, too. I wanna get as strong as the Phantom Thieves.

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 26, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey is that the only time we see Haru's summer casual outfit?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hey is that the only time we see Haru's summer casual outfit?

I think we see it during the Hawaii trip, and I think a scene with Ryuji while she's doing some stuff with the plants at Shujin. She's not really part of the scene much though, just kinda there while we do it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think we see it during the Hawaii trip, and I think a scene with Ryuji while she's doing some stuff with the plants at Shujin. She's not really part of the scene much though, just kinda there while we do it.

Nope, during those scenes she's in the summer variation on her uniform. This is, to my knowledge, the only scene Haru is in where she's wearing that blue blouse.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

I tried numerous times, but the “Empress” card keeps appearing. Last time, I felt that you were having trouble with women, but I sense something different now… A-Anyway, please be careful… Well then, shall I read your fortune in detail…?

This is slightly out of order, presumably

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thanks

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I think I’m gonna need to set some kind of hard limit on how frequently I can make Psycho Haru jokes, because while on the one hand she joins really late so she needs the exposure, on the other I’m afraid of overplaying it. It’ll have to be a delicate balance.

Hello…? …I need to discuss something with everyone. Can we all meet?

Guys, this girl just called me. Who actually calls people in this day and age? I think she's a psycho!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Okumura’s worried… About his investment, more like.[/u]

Typo

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Guys, this girl just called me. Who actually calls people in this day and age? I think she's a psycho!

Um ... Futaba herself calls Protag a few times in this game.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
post no bills

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 26, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is kind of the wrong thread for this, but I'll let it slide this time.

Short answer is you're completely fine, the way the plot gates those Confidants prevents you from getting them higher than that before where you are anyway.

In the future I'm going to request that people take questions even indirectly involving stuff we haven't seen to the main Persona thread in Games. Or even, hell, just PM me if you're worried about spoilers in there.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 26, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 128: 9/19-9/20: Every Universe Has The Death Penalty (New)

Daytime → Evening

I truly apologize for what has happened in this case.
So formal!

>Hey, you can relax around us.
But you all have seniority here. I need to be respectful.
You’re already one of us, and we don’t really concern ourselves with that kind of pecking order.
>That’s right. Makoto’s at the bottom though.
Why are you like this…?

Thank you, Mako-chan.

*pause*

…Do you mean me?

Sorry, that was subconscious. I was just so happy to finally have a friend my age…
>You typed it subconsciously?
Don’t worry, Haru. I find the personal touch refreshing.

Great. I hope we get to be the bestest of friends, Mako-chan.

*long pause*

Sorry sorry I’m trying to delete it

Something unbelievable happened… I’m still confused about it… Would you be able to make some time for me today?

Oh god, looks like that change of heart went through… Maybe we’ll have to finally confront Hifumi about that tonight.

Music: Everyday Days

Ha… Heh… Hahahahaha!

Me okay? Yer the one talkin’ to a rock… jus’ sittin’… on the shide of the road… But even a rock like me c’n help people. Throw me! Jus’ throw me at th’ evil corporationsh!

Yer what’s funny! You’re talkin’ to a rock… jus’ sittin’… on the shide of the road… But even a rock like me c’n help people. Throw me! Jus’ throw me at th’ evil corporationsh!

I’mma jus’ a rock… jus’ sittin’… on the shide of the road… since the Edo period! But even a rock like me c’n help people. Throw me! Jus’ throw me at th’ evil corporationsh!

(Rebellious Grade Schooler) That’s dumb! A phone is way better. If you had one, you could look at the Phantom Thieves fan site!
Oh, that’d be so cool! They have rankings and stuff, right?
Yeah, it’s really popular right now! I’m gonna ask my parents to get me a phone too.

(Reserved College Student) I didn’t go to college to wind up at a company like that.
Anyways, buuuddy, while the Phantom Thieves take care of those assholes… We party, party, party!

(Earnest Office Worker) Yes, even though many were skeptical of them until recently.
We hate to think, therefore we are easily controlled. Japan is becoming a country of imbeciles.
I guess that means there’s going to be people making a fortune off of them again.

(Sullen Office Worker) Young people seem excited about them too. They’re saying it’s a sign that times are changing. I hope their next target is that hotshot president. That guy’s an enemy to office workers everywhere.
They’ll target the president if they call themselves heroes. They already got my hopes up.

That’s so messed up! They treat their employees like livestock!
(Cat) *hiss*
I’m glad my manager doesn’t treat me like that…

(Adorable Woman) The Phantom Thieves’ll take care of him, don’t you worry. I hope they do it soon, too.
The fire department back home would’ve come to the rescue right quick.
Aaand this conversation’s over.

(Sake Reporter) *hiccup* Y’know, the guy who spread whisky in Japan supposedly said… “When you’re done with your work, hurry home and spend time with your family.”
Well, I’ll be damned. Who knew we has such understanding people in Japan?
That’s someone we can all learn from. On that note, gimme another shot of that wh isky, please!

I could tell something was eating at him, but I never expected this… What are we supposed to do now…?

Work on your tight five, obviously.

Sure, they were handsome, but they were all temps!
(Thin-Voiced Woman) I’d heard they were young hopefuls at some big food company… But yeah, they were duds. What was the name of that company, anyway?
Oh, who cares? It’s gotta be full-time employees or nothing! I bet they don’t even get bonuses! Moving on! Next!

(Charismatic Manager) Well, that’s reality. Big stores can keep prices low and are more convenient to shop at. We haven’t sold much lately, and we just get the odd customer every now and then. If I weren’t making money from my other businesses, I wouldn’t be able to keep this shop open.

Just gonna ignore Julian and Angel, there…

This is important, you idiot. How do you think we get by? They’re a real important sponsor, one we can’t afford to lose, so we gotta take good care of ‘em!

Man, I picked a bad month to start getting queasy when I hear the words “Big Bang Burger”…

(Drab Man) That… was… nothing… *burp* Um, by the way… you think I could get your personal cell phone number?
I’m sorry, I’m not allowed to. If my boss found out, they might fire me and fine me and…
O-Oh, right. Sorry, I didn’t mean to make things awkward… Um, here’s today’s rental fee. 36,000 yen.

Wasn’t it 30,000 last time? *checks* Oh, the extension fee was 6,000 an hour, so he must have just gotten one of those.

Music: Time to Repent

…The thing is, something unexpected happened… Can we talk?

Please sit down so we can talk.

She’s giving the impression of an 8th grade principal who’s about to give me an in-school suspension.

Star Rank 8: Part 115

Music: Alleycat

My mother told me most of my matches were fixed in my favor, and that she sold that story to the weekly magazine… I’m so ashamed now… But looking back, it does line up… I wanted people to acknowledge my skills… but I suppose I never had any. All those fake victories made me conceited… But why did she suddenly tell me this? She had a sudden change… of heart…? Maybe… the Phantom Thieves…?
*incomprehensible stammering*
Do you think they possibly eavesdropped on our conversation?
O-Oh, I’m sure of it! If there’s one thing the leader of the Phantom Thieves is good at, it’s eavesdropping!
As painful as the truth is, I’m glad her heart changed. And now, I have the resolve I need… I’m not going to lose the upcoming exhibition match. I’m going through with it… after I confess everything.
Really? Wow… That’s some courage you got.
I know I’ll receive a storm of criticism… but I have to make things right. This match will showcase my genuine talents. I hope you’ll watch and cheer me on. I can’t embarrass myself as your teacher, after all.

I feel Hifumi’s trust in me…

…I’m a bit scared, to be honest. My kingdom is more fragile than it has ever been… But if even if I should fall, I must fight with dignity to the very end, as a queen should. If you could, might you stay for another game? I’d like to test another move.
Sure. I’m always down to see what new sources your chuuni habit will draw from.
Very well… My mobile suit shall defeat your pitiful army, Earth scum!
That’s not even fantasy anymore!

I feel like playing shogi with Hifumi has helped sharpen my Knowledge

…I see, so there’s still room for improvement. I’d like to do this again some time.

I was just a little curious about your thoughts. Regarding my decision to reveal my fixed matches, that is.

Our talks helped me realize I should play with the utmost sincerity.

I must prepare for my exhibition match, so I’ll be going now. I’ll see you at the church…

Anon: Annihilate corruption!

Early Morning

Not to Big Bang Burger though, heh!
(High-Strung Guy) Ha, yeah! They probably poison their customers to have mental shutdowns!
Uh, why would they do that?

Early Morning → After School

(Calm Student) All the craziness that’s happening is freaking me out. You think the Phantom Thieves’ll save us again?
Hmm, they’re probably too busy for us right now. First, they have to focus on Okumura!

That’s the spirit!

It’s like, totally perfect.
So Hamiru’s part of the Phandom too? Awesome!
It kinda feels like the Phantom Thieves are gods or something. They’re fighting for all of us!
I wish they’d pick up the pace though. I can’t wait much longer!
They should get moving on that shithead executive. Enough loafing around!
Phantom Thieves! Phantom Thieves!
I never thought we’d get so popular… This is pandemonium! Or should I say Phandemonium…

At a time like this, is there anything that’d pick up my mood?
(Foodie Girl) I’d say the Refresh Aroma sold in Shibuya’s underground mall should do the trick! It should cast away any kind of negative mood in an instant!
So it’s a kind of aroma therapy, huh? That sounds about perfect for me right now…

The newspaper club must stand strong despite it all. Go ahead and tell me what you want to know.

Some say the Phantom Thieves are responsible, but it’s apparently confirmed to be suicide. I wonder if there was anything we could have done to prevent this from happening…

Big Bang Burger is attracting a lot of interest. It’s already pretty well known among high school students. Employee exploitation by companies is a social issue, so it might be interesting to do a feature on it.

I’m surprised you know about her! Most people don’t know that Okumura-senpai is the daughter of the Okumura who runs that company.

Really? Because rumors are swirling all over about it as we speak.

People found out this company is exploiting its employees, and some look to the Phantom Thieves. The extremists are asking them to strike already. Maybe the Phantom Thieves are tired of it by now.

(Handsome Student) Oh, that was you. I knew I felt someone looking at me. Well… We could start off as friends.
Yes…! This is my chance! Er, I mean, uh… Thank you!

The acceptance rate for next year isn’t looking too good. What happened to the principal could happen to me… I-I can’t let that happen! I have to raise the school’s reputation! In order to do that… Ah, of course, that honor student…

Uh-oh.

(Energetic First-Year) Yeah, I’ve seen her around. She takes care of the flowers in front of the school.
I heard she’s engaged. Can you believe that? She’s still in high school!
She lives in a different world. This school is just too weird…

If I had only paid more attention. I failed to save him as a Phantom Thief of Hearts.

I know. I’m sorry if I let you down, but heroes aren’t perfect. Even we can’t do everything. But I’ll never give up. In times like these, I’ll give people hope and live up to their faith in me!

It’s kind of you to say that. Don’t worry. I won’t make that kind of mistake ever again. Yes, this is a test from fate. I’ll do all I can to live up to everyone’s faith in me!

You don’t like places like that either, do you, Sensei?
(Kind Faculty Member) Of course not. But it isn’t always clear whether or not something can be considered exploitation.
Whaaat? Really? Then maybe we should just get rid of all companies!

HELL FUCKIN YEAH

(Male Student in a Jersey) The food there is cheap, but it’s filling. It might suck if Big Bang weren’t around anymore.
Nah, bad guys should be punished. And those press conferences where they apologize are fun to watch.

(Gentle Male Student) It’s crazy how it all gets back to Shujin Academy again. So President Okumura is their next target?
I’m sure he is since he’s hit the top rank so fast. I can’t wait to see him break down and grovel.
(Refined Male Student) I guess that’s what happens when you cut down on labor costs too much. Business management is tough work.

“There will be a special meeting with parents regarding the sudden death of the principal. A reminder to all students to please remain calm.”

(Bothered Student) Who cares? Actually, shouldn’t you worry about how this might affect recommendations? I’m seriously going to be angry if I can’t get a recommendation because of all this!

That vicious transfer student, a suicide attempt, sex crimes by a teacher, our principal died…
(Intense Soccer Player) You’re right. That is a lot to happen in just one year. Maybe this school actually is cursed.
That makes sense. A curse would explain why we can’t get any decent members or win any games.

Hurry back to your prison!

Just gonna pop in and grab a Persona.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Our master admires the progress of your rehabilitation, and hence has given you use of a special ritual.
It requires the cooperation of Phantom Thieves undergoing this same ordeal in other worlds… It’s a special fusion called Public Execution!
This is a helpful ritual where you select a Persona from another Phantom Thieves group and fuse them for your own usage. We’ve heard that there are special powers for Personas that are only attainable with this fusion method.
Basically, whether or not you make good use of it is up to you! You better devote yourself, Inmate!
The development of rituals is now complete, but your rehabilitation shall continue onward. Put your best effort forth toward that ultimate goal.

The Public Execution’s back, but it’s changed ever-so-slightly since the original game.

Next, choose one of the Personas that came from another world. After that, the rest is the same as a regular Guillotine Execution. BUT, there are rare skills that can only be gained through this ritual, so make good use of it!

Whereas before, the game would automatically fuse the target Persona with another player’s recent offering, here we can choose from a small selection of offerings. Backing out or selecting another Persona will refresh the lineup, though, so it’s kind of annoying to double back and check your element or buff coverage to make sure you have everything you need.

Let’s fuse our Isis with Quetzalcoatl to make White Rider. Quetzalcoatl is a pretty high-level Persona, so we’ll get some good skills out of it. Sure enough, it knows Garudyne and Agidyne, which we’ll take for ourselves. Another reason I’m picking White Rider is because it knows some Physical and Gun skills, which we sorely need. Ryuji and Yusuke might be powerhouses, but Maaku still needs some Physical damage of his own, and he doesn’t have a single Physical-oriented Persona at the moment. Triple Down and Oni-Kagura will be welcome additions to our skills, then. All right, looks good.

Oh goddammit

You’re a guy, right? In that case, I guess I don’t mind becoming your mask and joining up with you…

What the hell’s that mean, man?

Belphegor is everyone’s favorite toiletlord, the demon lord of Sloth and one of the Seven Princes of Hell. He gives people ideas for inventions that will make them rich… thus making them greedy and selfish as well. Those who invoke him to find wealth and fame through invention are doomed to have those wishes fail, causing the invoker to fall into procrastination and idle dreaming. He’s also a phallic deity, associated with sex, debauchery, and orgies. Belphegor has a lot of different forms, including a beautiful woman, as well as a monstrous demon more reminiscent of this guy on the toilet in front of us. His name is a corruption of Ba’al Peor, the Syrian god of abundant crops. As for why he’s on the toilet, some rabbis have claimed he must be worshipped on one, his offerings being “the residue of one’s digestion.” That really just raises further questions, my guy, but whatever.

Anyway, Belphegor is mainly an Ice guy, so we don’t get those Physical skills we wanted, poo poo.

And, of course, we’re limited to one Public Execution per day.

We need points with Hifumi…

…but we’ll still need to come back another day to get enough to rank up, sadly.

It’s already autumn. You’d expect it to get a little less hot, huh?

Worth noting that the scene with Futaba during the Hawaii trip unlocked a plot gate for Maruki that I was completely unaware of until I looked it up later. We just never talked to him after our last rank up, I guess.

Thank you, Hamiru-kun. Oh, since we have time, I was hoping we could talk at that café you’re staying at. I’m a big fan of their coffee.

The reason for that plot gate was in part because that’s the first time he visits Leblanc.

I’ll get dressed, then we can get going.

Aren’t you on the clock, though…? What if someone comes for counseling?

Music: Ideal and the Real

You must have a real knack for coffee, Hamiru-kun. This is fantastic.

It’s about the research we’ve been discussing. I’m actually putting it all together in a paper.

So I’m sorry to bother you, but I’d appreciate if you’d help me talk through this again.

In deepening our understanding of the heart, I wanted to find a means of helping those who have been hurt by traumas… I already told you that was the point of all my research, right? It’s thanks to you that my project has come this far.

Even if my research makes great strides, even if we DO find some miraculous way of healing psychological wounds…

…True, I guess. It’s better than not being able to save anyone. But I can’t just be satisfied with that. I mean, there are so many people out there suffering so badly, they can’t even speak up and let that pain out. …This is a painful, cruel, bitter world. And there’s only so much one individual can do to fight against that. I’ve said it before. Working as a counselor only makes that more painfully obvious.

Deep down, I… I don’t think it’s enough that I can just help people around me. A few people, out of billions. I want to help more people overcome their suffering.

And like I said earlier… there are people who need help, desperately, but can’t ask for it. They can’t even share their pain. Even if we had a full understanding of the human heart, and an effective treatment to soothe it… I don’t think that would be enough to finally beat trauma. And I guess that’s what I ultimately realized.

If we could peer into the hearts of every person alive… Diagnose, understand, and then remove the root cause of their pain… …It sounds like something out of a dream.

I just think it’d be better if there was some way to really understand everyone’s cognitions more quickly and accurately.

I know what he’s getting at, but with the emphasis on speed Maruki sounds like he’s about to invent BetterHelp and flood the zone with one trillion unlicensed gig economy therapists.

I like how the flashback includes Mona patronizing us by saying we’re too dumb to understand the collective unconscious, despite that part being completely irrelevant to the rest of the scene.

Hm? Hamiru-kun… Did I say something wrong?

Haha, where’s this coming from? Sure, they can connect, but…

The collective unconscious… If people’s hearts are connected in the unconscious, their senses are shared subconsciously…! Ah, it’s so simple! Why didn’t I realize it before…?

Wait, what’d you say?

Huh? Yes, what about it…?

Ah, but I’m sorry, I need to go! I need to get this in my paper while it’s still fresh in my mind!

Thank you, Hamiru-kun! I swear I’ll repay you for this!
I can sense a powerful gratitude from Maruki…

Sorry for… hah… rushing out… phew… so suddenly… hah… earlier…

I’m so out of shape, though… gotta do something about that…

All I need to do now is to focus on my paper! After all your help, I’m going to finish it for your sake, too! Seriously, thank you! Bye!

After School → Evening

Are you among those who are waiting to see the president of that company meet his judgment?

Haha, there’s no need to hide it. There’s no shame in projecting your suppressed hopes onto them. It’s clear that they have power. They have an ethical obligation to use it wisely. The pressure and expectations that burden exceptional people… I know it well, hahaha.

He has testified that he claimed to be a phantom thief in his post because he wanted the attention. Police have warned people to be cautious of crimes that exploit the Phantom Thieves bandwagon.
I wish people would stop pulling stunts like this. But maybe this happens once you become famous.

I’ve been waiting for you! You won’t believe what happened!

Now, please take a seat…

Fortune Rank 6: Part 92

My reputation has really been improving lately. My clients even leave happy now!
Well, that’ll happen when you stop shamelessly fleecing them. But good work, nevertheless.
I’ve also been able to change a few fates on my own… I suppose you just need a strong will like yours to make it happen. I wish I could do more, though…

Uh, no, she’s clearly talking to me. Buzz off.

So, are you the apprentice I’ve heard so much about?

I dunno about “apprentice,” but… I help her out sometimes.

I’ve been wondering… why are you so interested in Mifune-kun?

Well, she still hasn’t paid me back that 100,000 yen she bilked me for, so I’m still working on that front.
Well, regardless, you made a wise choice picking Mifune-kun. Her fortunes are ever-accurate, guiding wayward sheep through the vast darkness that lies before them.
Oh, Hamiru-san, this is Fukurai-san. He’s… the chairman of the ADP. That stands for…
Assembly of the Divine Power.
Oh goddammit. Really, Chihaya? That’s what this was? A cult?
We relieve the hearts and minds of the weary souls of modern society via spiritual healing events and seminars. I could sign you up for one for a negligible fee…
*taking look in overflowing wallet* Uh, no, sorry. I barely have enough for train fare home right now. You understand.
No matter! We can hit up an ATM!
Take a hint, buddy…
Make sure you pick up a Holy Stone later, if you’re really not interested in our other offerings. They are the wellspring of our divine power, and the linchpin of our business.
Already got one, thanks. Incidentally, you need any salt?
Hm? No, not really. Oh, Mifune-kun… Yokoda-kun told me you’ve been acting oddly recently. You’ve even fallen behind on your Holy Stone quota. Is everything OK?
I’ll cover the loss in revenue… But, sir… I’m not sure these Holy Stones really… do anything.
That’s one way of putting it, sure.
Excuse me? Are you saying you don’t trust me, the man who saved you when you came here and rescued you from that seedy club you were working at?
No… sorry…

Then enough of this skepticism. Just focus on continuing your role as the Maiden of Relief. Read the futures of those unfortunate souls who come to us and lead them to salvation with the Holy Stones…

Maiden of Relief? Good loving lord…
Enough of your blasphemy, potty-mouth. Mifune-kun is happy with the way things are. She couldn’t bear to go back to when everyone thought of her as a monster. She even broke down in front of me… If she abandons her title, that’s exactly what she’ll be.
Okay, come on, lay off. She doesn’t deserve this. Mostly.

Hamiru-san…
…Fine. If you want to spend your time fooling around with this child, go right ahead. But don’t forget, Mifune-kun: The ADP is the only place you’ll ever belong.

…Hahaha. I-I’ve never actually worked at a nightclub! I did get tricked into walking into one though…

Not the part of that conversation that worried me, Chihaya.

You must think I’m weird, huh? All this talk about me being a maiden or a monster…

If I was to dislike you, those would not be the reasons.
Oh… That’s… good, I suppose…

By the way, it was pretty amazing how we stood up to the chairman back there.

Who is “we”?

I would never have been able to talk to him about the Holy Stones had I been alone… But your strength helped me speak up. I need to be strong like you more often…
I can sense a strong resolve from Chihaya…

The chairman seems serious about these Holy Stones, though… I’ll have to pay a fine if I don’t meet my quotas… and there’s a huge penalty for resigning from my post… My own fate really is inescapable… But that’s enough for tonight! See you later!

I already know what I must do in order to change my fate…

Does it involve murder? If so, we’re in.

But whenever I face the chairman, I just can’t find the courage to say what I need to…

Oh, boo.

I’m the only one who can change my weakness… You’re so strong, Hamiru-san. …I’m going to think about all this a little more. Thank you once again for today. I’ll see you next time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The heck is that last dialogue option? :catstare:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Joker gets some really hosed up "joke" responses once in a while. Mostly going "that's a sweet hustle" when Mishima texts him about targets, but occasionally you get stuff like that or calling Kawakami a bad teacher. I'm assuming they're meant to read as edgy jokes, but I dunno how people react because I'm not gonna pick them or look it up.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I think it's fine for "stupid teenager trying to be funny". Like, it's not a great joke, but... that's how teenagers are sometimes.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

If I was to dislike you, those would not be the reasons.

Grammatically, "was" should be "were"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P4's MC had his own share of terrible responses too, it's like a universal thing about modern Persona MCs.

Maybe not FeMC, I don't remember any particularly cruel ones (and if they were they might have been originally P3MC's ones, I dunno).