Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WaltherFeng posted:

It's going to suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

System Shock remake is unapologetically 90s. They added some quality of life, the interactive map system is real good for a game where each level is the size of 4 Doom maps squished together, they included the old customizable difficulty setting, and hacking is really fun Descent-mini that doesn’t overstay its welcome but yeah be prepared to take notes and discern objectives from audiologs you will not be reminded of anything. The infamous security number puzzle is still intact and it’s still randomized.

It leans heavier into the horror angle and one of the cooler micro-details is that there’s now a visual representation of SHODAN’s control. The original would respawn monsters and the same is true here but you’ll often catch out the corner of your eye a hidden platform being raised or a secret wall cache opening to spill out new monsters. My heart skipped a beat leaving a room and seeing a section of the floor rise up to deposit a couple mutants before silently lowering back into the floor. SHODAN has turned citadel station into The Cube and it’s excellent.

This is also one of the best lit games I’ve ever played and if it took 6 years to optimize Unreal 4 to not explode with all the lighting and particle effects (especially after the recent slate of badly optimized AAA titles) it was worth the wait. I can’t stress enough how good the lighting looks and it retains the vibrant color palette of the original while being lit like a giallo movie. I’m sure this is the vision id had with Doom 3 and it’s kind of ironic System Shock was Ultima Underworld stretched into Doom and this game feels like Doom 3 reached its full survival horror apotheosis.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah seeing the marketing with side by side comparisons of the levels where details were updated in place to the point where corpses on the floor were in the same positions gave me a bit of a pause. It means I was actually going to play the "real" SS1 for the first time since i started with SS2 but also woof the map was going to be a nightmare. I'm stuck on the second floor right now because I've filled out the edges of the map and don't know where to go, which is annoying but not as bad as it could be since it feels, yknow, "classic".

It also helps that the combat is actually not that hard if you are willing to backtrack a bit for energy recharges. I'm sure if you get truly lost it can be annoying but otherwise it's a surprisingly forgiving game, especially when compared to SS2.

I am really glad that I had the thing with the randomized codes spoiled for me in a review because I absolutely would have been pissed off that I had to go backtracking for those.

Also my habit of hitting any button that is green caused me to evaporate earth but at least I had the good sense to quicksave first.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST

This is a really well-written and engaging review. I like your writing style a lot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

System Shock remake is unapologetically 90s. They added some quality of life, the interactive map system is real good for a game where each level is the size of 4 Doom maps squished together, they included the old customizable difficulty setting, and hacking is really fun Descent-mini that doesn’t overstay its welcome but yeah be prepared to take notes and discern objectives from audiologs you will not be reminded of anything. The infamous security number puzzle is still intact and it’s still randomized.

It leans heavier into the horror angle and one of the cooler micro-details is that there’s now a visual representation of SHODAN’s control. The original would respawn monsters and the same is true here but you’ll often catch out the corner of your eye a hidden platform being raised or a secret wall cache opening to spill out new monsters. My heart skipped a beat leaving a room and seeing a section of the floor rise up to deposit a couple mutants before silently lowering back into the floor. SHODAN has turned citadel station into The Cube and it’s excellent.

This is also one of the best lit games I’ve ever played and if it took 6 years to optimize Unreal 4 to not explode with all the lighting and particle effects (especially after the recent slate of badly optimized AAA titles) it was worth the wait. I can’t stress enough how good the lighting looks and it retains the vibrant color palette of the original while being lit like a giallo movie. I’m sure this is the vision id had with Doom 3 and it’s kind of ironic System Shock was Ultima Underworld stretched into Doom and this game feels like Doom 3 reached its full survival horror apotheosis.

It sounds exactly as I had hoped, I never played the original but I spent a lot of time with SS2 so I hoped the remake stayed true to the original game as close as possible. I always wanted to give it a go but I heard it was fairly clunky in the control department. I think I remember reading it didn't have mouselook? Dunno, maybe I was confusing it with another title.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

hows whos lila

It was one of my favorite experiences that I played last year. Highly recommend it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thirding (fourthing?) Who's Lila. A short experience, neat meta aspects, some moments that still haunt me.

sigher posted:

It sounds exactly as I had hoped, I never played the original but I spent a lot of time with SS2 so I hoped the remake stayed true to the original game as close as possible. I always wanted to give it a go but I heard it was fairly clunky in the control department. I think I remember reading it didn't have mouselook? Dunno, maybe I was confusing it with another title.

The original was built on Ultima Underworld so you move by holding left mouse button on the edges of the screen. Up to go forward, down to walk backwards, you turn by holding the button on the upper corners and strafe left-and-right it's basically true tank controls from a first person view and I have no idea how anyone played this game in 1994. You could look up and down and because the mouse cursor was a representation of input not looking you basically had precise aim within a limited viewport. The Enhanced Edition added true mouse look and WADS control scheme and is the best way to play the original.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I guess FPS was still fairly new at the time but I have no clue how that baffling control scheme sounded good to anyone working on the game.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Has this thread had a Fear & Hunger: Termina phase yet? I couldn't find it going back through recent pages.

Anyway, this game is fantastic. I haven't been affected this hard by anything horror in recent years other than Faith.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is Outlast Trials drop-in matchmaking friendly?

It looks like fun but only if I can consistently a random coop party to play with.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tolth posted:

Has this thread had a Fear & Hunger: Termina phase yet? I couldn't find it going back through recent pages.

Anyway, this game is fantastic. I haven't been affected this hard by anything horror in recent years other than Faith.

There was some discussion a dozen pages back or so. It's a very unique game with some questionable content but with a depth to its overarching plot and its mechanics that you almost never see in its genres.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Morpheus posted:

There was some discussion a dozen pages back or so. It's a very unique game with some questionable content but with a depth to its overarching plot and its mechanics that you almost never see in its genres.

Not sure if that was re: the original or the sequel that came out recently, seemed to be regarding the original.

The sequel significantly tones down the most objectionable stuff, it's still there but a little more restrained.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Is Outlast Trials drop-in matchmaking friendly?

It looks like fun but only if I can consistently a random coop party to play with.

It seems like it, my friend did a bunch of playing with randos, it def needs communication though, pinging probably won't be too useful, so as long as you're on mic or willing to listen to others on mic it'll be doable.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tolth posted:

It's amazing how such a relatively simple and unassuming horror game has permanently stained my brain with "What I'm about to do has not been approved by the Vatican"

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

sigher posted:

I guess FPS was still fairly new at the time but I have no clue how that baffling control scheme sounded good to anyone working on the game.

I think you could still use keyboard to move and turn, but looking up and down was a real chore - which wasn't very useful when there were enemies lurking above or below you all the time!

Terminator Future Shock came out a few years later and had something more like proper mouselook, but you didn't have much interaction with your environment beyond "shoot bad guy" if I remember right.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Meowywitch posted:

It's amazing how such a relatively simple and unassuming horror game has permanently stained my brain with "What I'm about to do has not been approved by the Vatican"

Don't be afraid, John.

Tolth posted:

Assuming relatively few people have played the second one; this game owns and is pretty unique. The name is a very clear case of "subtext is for cowards" as it's essentially a mashup of Majora's Mask, Silent Hill, Octopath Traveler, and Danganronpa. You and 13 other strangers arrive in an odd and unnerving town in parallel-universe WW2 Europe and have 72 hours until the Moon does something ominous. There's 8 playable characters with distinct classes you can use to approach the 72h cycle, which is full of various horrendously lethal dangers you can predict and account for once you start to get the overall schedule of the 3-day cycle down.

It's very oppressive and I think makes better use of the super-lethal combat system than the first game's roguelike structure does. I think it's the first survival horror game in a while that has really captured that PSX-era Resident Evil feeling of tangible pressure. It also has a sphere grid in it for some reason.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 31, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Tolth posted:

Assuming relatively few people have played the second one; this game owns and is pretty unique. The name is a very clear case of "subtext is for cowards" as it's essentially a mashup of Majora's Mask, Silent Hill, Octopath Traveler, and Danganronpa. You and 13 other strangers arrive in an odd and unnerving town in parallel-universe WW2 Europe and have 72 hours until the Moon does something ominous. There's 8 playable characters with distinct classes you can use to approach the 72h cycle, which is full of various horrendously lethal dangers you can predict and account for once you start to get the overall schedule of the 3-day cycle down.

A time-loop game that I've somehow missed? This is an outrage!

Thank you, I'm dying to check this out after I finish Place for the Unwilling.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The first thing I saw in another thread people post about fear and hunger is that you get raped all the time and theres an anal bleeding debuff. Not the best first impression lol.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Read After Burning posted:

A time-loop game that I've somehow missed? This is an outrage!

Not a time loop, just a deadline. One way to understand the franchise is it takes mechanics used in other games, adds them to a basic RPG, and replaces their functioning parts with softlocks, instant game overs, or permanent crippling status effects.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The first thing I saw in another thread people post about fear and hunger is that you get raped all the time and theres an anal bleeding debuff. Not the best first impression lol.

It's horrendous and completely needless. More terrordongs than outlast.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

either that or getting mauled by dogs will likely be the result of your first encounter but you learn pretty quickly how to avoid it, esp since you can target and cut all sorts of appendages

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If you're interested in Fear and Hunger but don't want to go through the actual experience of playing them, there's good story summary/analysis on the first and second games. I believe the essayist, Worm Girl, is a goon as well.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

F.A.T.A.L. and Hunger. :haw:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
isn't there also a mod that removes that stuff, aka the "you can stream the game on twitch" mod

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
About the System Shock remake - I see a lot of reviews are complaining that you get objectives via emails or audio logs which are never repeated again. From what I played of the beta and the first part of the actual released game, all emails and logs are stored in your multimedia reader and can be replayed at your leisure - they're quite often vague, but you always have them to refer back to if needed.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The second game has vastly less sexual violence overall.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Pseudohog posted:

About the System Shock remake - I see a lot of reviews are complaining that you get objectives via emails or audio logs which are never repeated again. From what I played of the beta and the first part of the actual released game, all emails and logs are stored in your multimedia reader and can be replayed at your leisure - they're quite often vague, but you always have them to refer back to if needed.

It does drive home how comparatively user-friendly modern games are, where any objectives you receive will typically be within 15-30 minutes of your current location. System Shock gives you multi-step objectives that will take multiple hours to fulfill and which are occasionally red herrings.

The first actual objective in the game is from Rebecca, who tells you "get to D'Arcy's office," which you don't actually have to do at all.

AlMac posted:

This is a really well-written and engaging review. I like your writing style a lot.

Thank you very much.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
anyone here like Stasis? just saw the sequel dropped today and the first game is only $4 so wondering if I should give it a shot

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tolth posted:

I got this awhile ago during a sale or whatever but coincidentally just really played it a few days ago and it really hit me. Just every now and then a game come sout like that that hits thatt "if I was not a dumbass and able to make a video game this is probably the horror game I'd make" level of clicking with me.

Definitely going to check out Fear and Hunger based on this comparison despite the things others have pointed out with it here lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pseudohog posted:

I think you could still use keyboard to move and turn, but looking up and down was a real chore - which wasn't very useful when there were enemies lurking above or below you all the time!

Terminator Future Shock came out a few years later and had something more like proper mouselook, but you didn't have much interaction with your environment beyond "shoot bad guy" if I remember right.

Yeah SS1 was more like Ultima Underworld where at the time it was just a huge deal that you could smoothly walk around in the first person at all. The kind of movement separate from the cursor controls it and System Shock 1 (and ironically Bethesda's Terminator 1 game before either of them but also stuff like Dungeon Master, etc.) had fared a lot better when used to for stuff like SSI's Ravenloft titles. It clicks and works in those games where you're controlling a party of several people and are quickly want to switch between plodding around and then using the cursor to manage multiple characters' weapons/combat stuff and solving puzzles.

It's true about Future Shock, god that game owned. Would say horror game fans should try it out even today honestly. You can see the impressive atmosphere and visual storytelling Bethesda would get praised for with their more modern games start there. Worth playing around with despite how dated it can seem. Nice array of weapons too.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Montague Tigg posted:

anyone here like Stasis? just saw the sequel dropped today and the first game is only $4 so wondering if I should give it a shot

If you were a fan of Sanitarium (and why wouldn’t you be?) it’s fun enough. The most horrific aspect of the game is the cutscene of characters singing a whole song the devs clearly had to improvise bc it turned out “happy birthday” was copyrighted. You cannot skip the cutscene.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I think the prequel game Cayde is free if you want to get a taste of that team’s style.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pseudohog posted:

Yes all dialog is logged so you can go back to it. But like Wanderer said to a first time player you're receiving loads of information with zero context. Like an early audio log gives you a step by step process to shut off her laser and that task is like 5 steps on multiple floors you haven't even seen a map for. It's great!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So a game I wishlisted that sounded cool came out today, Killer Frequency. Here's the blurb

quote:

Killer Frequency is a first-person horror puzzle game set in 1987, that puts you in the role of a late-night radio talk show host in small town America whose callers are being stalked by a mysterious killer

Was anyone else planning on giving it a go? I know it's not 'Frasier Crane, but with murder', but I'm hopeful for this one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

So a game I wishlisted that sounded cool came out today, Killer Frequency. Here's the blurb

Was anyone else planning on giving it a go? I know it's not 'Frasier Crane, but with murder', but I'm hopeful for this one.

that's actually a kinda cool idea, depending on how the gameplay works

i'm imagining something where you have to give them advice on where to go and what not to do based on previous clues or kill heatmaps or something similar

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

al-azad posted:

Yes all dialog is logged so you can go back to it. But like Wanderer said to a first time player you're receiving loads of information with zero context. Like an early audio log gives you a step by step process to shut off her laser and that task is like 5 steps on multiple floors you haven't even seen a map for. It's great!

Oh yeah, the lack of context is definitely true. I still have vague memories of the objectives from the original, but someone going in totally blind is going to be wandering around confused for quite a while!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Ooh, that looks cool, I'll look into i- IT'S CEL-SHADED, GIMMIE GIMMIE! :aaa:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vermain posted:

that's actually a kinda cool idea, depending on how the gameplay works

i'm imagining something where you have to give them advice on where to go and what not to do based on previous clues or kill heatmaps or something similar

Yeah like a video on the steam page shows you reading a book on how to get into a locked car, and relaying the information to a caller. Seems like it would be very tense and why am I stuck at work???

Voice acting could make or break it though

Read After Burning posted:

Ooh, that looks cool, I'll look into i- IT'S CEL-SHADED, GIMMIE GIMMIE! :aaa:

It looks really, really nice! I love cel shading too

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 1, 2023

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah like a video on the steam page shows you reading a book on how to get into a locked car, and relaying the information to a caller. Seems like it would be very tense and why am I stuck at work???

Voice acting could make or break it though

It looks really, really nice! I love cel shading too

Would we have to read on how to properly toss salad and scramble eggs

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

widespread posted:

Would we have to read on how to properly toss salad and scramble eggs

'Frasier, there's a caller on line 1 who says they're being stalked by a psychopathic wraith in a trench coat and an ice pick'

'You can tell Niles no one wants to hear about his and Maris' foreplay'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone checked out The Tartarus Key yet?