Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Mr. Yuji Naka is not alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
New Schreier on Red Fall

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1664226073465298944

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1664226458129125377?s=20

:[

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, thats one way to get staff turnover, to build the most poison-cup of a game you can.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd be interested in seeing the attrition rates for a lot of big studios to be honest. I think people would be surprised at how relatively few people stick around for the full dev cycle of these massive AAA productions and then want to do another one at the same company. You move on and get a better paying or more interesting, which in some cases is just "different" job elsewhere.

One of the narratives around ToTK is that it's remarkable and notable how many people worked on Breath of the Wild and some of the prior Zelda's even. It wouldn't be notable if it was common imo.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
many ppl with the means and supports are leaving Austin if they can. Texas will always be Texas but the corporate finance bros and Musk acolytes won and are Keeping Austin Weird in a somewhat different way now. 😬

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd be interested in seeing the attrition rates for a lot of big studios to be honest. I think people would be surprised at how relatively few people stick around for the full dev cycle of these massive AAA productions and then want to do another one at the same company. You move on and get a better paying or more interesting, which in some cases is just "different" job elsewhere.

One of the narratives around ToTK is that it's remarkable and notable how many people worked on Breath of the Wild and some of the prior Zelda's even. It wouldn't be notable if it was common imo.

It's old and heavy on UK but https://www.gamesindustry.biz/an-industry-driven-by-passion-not-pay from 2017 had 88% working less than 5 years at their current job and 40 % likely to change jobs within the next year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

buried like five tweets in is the no-paywall link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ZItcoOCXfP7-j8Q

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Unsurprisingly game developers don't feel any particular allegiance to their studios when half the employees get laid off in between releases and projects are rebooted two or three times to include or exclude some new monetization model handed down from on high.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't have the exact numbers on hand but I've been gradually reading Schrier's recentish book Press Reset and he says it's pretty common. Though of course there's also the fact that many of those publishers will do a round of layoffs after finishing a massive AAA game so that's another contributing factor.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Friend of mine in game dev was talking a few days ago about how their studio's attrition rate shot up when they started making a live service game, I'd be very interested to know if that tracks across the whole industry with how high the failure rate on those has gotten. You're either set up to make the same game for decades or everything you worked on will be wiped off the internet within 2 years.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Guess the earnings call is coming up. 2k also keeps on gutting Firaxis.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/xcom-and-civilization-studio-firaxis-games-suffers-a-round-of-layoffs

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

wizard2 posted:

many ppl with the means and supports are leaving Austin if they can. Texas will always be Texas but the corporate finance bros and Musk acolytes won and are Keeping Austin Weird in a somewhat different way now. 😬

A big part of it is the combination of so many jobs transitioning to WFH since COVID kicked off, and the CoL in Austin absolutely skyrocketing over the past 5-25 years (pick your timeline). Add the fact that traffic in the Austin area is absolutely hellacious and you need to already be a homeowner with decent equity, or have some other very good reasons for sticking around.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/1664208051468128257?s=20

He's not actually been sentenced yet

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Does the FTC go after small-time youtubers for stuff like this, though, even in a "hey so we noticed, cut that poo poo out"? I don't know if it's just "most people are too small-fry individually to be worth making an example of", but the only FTC action I've heard about this sort of thing was around a couple of Actual Celebrities puffing up NFTs a year or two back, and as everyone knows the Raid Shadow Legends stuff has been going on for...what, the better part of a decade at this point?

Like pretty much every other government agency (big and small) they are mostly reactive. They respond to reports and complaints. It's easy to fly under the radar if you're small, but one guy complaining that they purchased the snake oil you claim cured your bald spot will get their attention.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Yet. Japan has a freakishly high conviction rate.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

You could say that people assumed things went...

too fast. :cool:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

njsykora posted:

Friend of mine in game dev was talking a few days ago about how their studio's attrition rate shot up when they started making a live service game, I'd be very interested to know if that tracks across the whole industry with how high the failure rate on those has gotten. You're either set up to make the same game for decades or everything you worked on will be wiped off the internet within 2 years.

I'd assume it depends on if you joined a studio that's explicitly been making GaaS stuff, or if you joined Bioware/Arkane/Platinum because their games slap and you want to have your hand in it and get handed a nasty bowl of "hey we decided to pivot"

the industry as a whole is explicitly set up to underpay because it can get away with "people are passionate about what they're making", it's hilariously short-sighted to both underpay and expect that people will just grin and shovel poo poo internally with these bullshit projects that they don't want to work on in the first place

naturally nothing of actual value will be learned and we'll just get youtube essays about The Death of/What Went Wrong: Arkane in a couple of years

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think a lot of that is particularly surprising - even back to the original teaser, it never seemed like a game that had any real idea on what it wanted to be doing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

njsykora posted:

That's super interesting but it makes a ton of sense. If you're just doing maintenance instead of making new games you start wondering why you're even taking the game dev pay cut.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Kith posted:

You could say that people assumed things went...

too fast. :cool:

:golfclap:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Gotta be pretty demoralising for the game you'd hope would get quietly cancelled when you got brought by MS to now be in a position of being used by the big corporate guy as an example "well we weren't involved early enough or just enough in general, they were working on their own and this is what they came out with" and specifically tearing into the AI, technical stuff, etc.

Like obviously that stuff is an issue but there's something weird about an exec pointing it out so brutally the week after the game came out to me, there's a disconnect when a reviewer/commentator/knucklehead like me on a forum does it but imagining coming into work at Arkane Austin as an environment artist or gameplay engineer or whatever and having the CEO of Xbox Game studios having publicly said your specific work is poor would feel real bad.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Probably gonna be more than 70% turnover real soon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

thebardyspoon posted:

Gotta be pretty demoralising for the game you'd hope would get quietly cancelled when you got brought by MS to now be in a position of being used by the big corporate guy as an example "well we weren't involved early enough or just enough in general, they were working on their own and this is what they came out with" and specifically tearing into the AI, technical stuff, etc.

Like obviously that stuff is an issue but there's something weird about an exec pointing it out so brutally the week after the game came out to me, there's a disconnect when a reviewer/commentator/knucklehead like me on a forum does it but imagining coming into work at Arkane Austin as an environment artist or gameplay engineer or whatever and having the CEO of Xbox Game studios having publicly said your specific work is poor would feel real bad.

iirc Spencer was fairly diplomatic, acknowledging issues whilst trying to avoid throwing Arkane under the bus, and taking some of the blame on himself. it was a bit hard to believe, though, that MS was blindsided by the reviews scores.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ErrEff posted:

Probably gonna be more than 70% turnover real soon.

Stuff like this makes me wonder if the number of people trying to get into the industry will ever slow

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shinjobi posted:

Stuff like this makes me wonder if the number of people trying to get into the industry will ever slow

Nope. The reasons people join the industry for the most part aren't rational.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The idea that Microsoft would just swoop in and radically change the culture of their recently acquired studios (and invariably for the better..?) was always kind of dodgy to me, especially when they've repeatedly said how hands-off they are.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The idea that Microsoft would just swoop in and radically change the culture of their recently acquired studios (and invariably for the better..?) was always kind of dodgy to me, especially when they've repeatedly said how hands-off they are.

EA, famous for hiring studios to put them to work in the CoD mines, tried something similar with Bioware. It didn't work because it created an entire extra layer of management that didn't set deadlines or make firm priorities so entire projects just got shuffled around for years until the money people demanded to see something substantive.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

pentyne posted:

EA, famous for hiring studios to put them to work in the CoD mines, tried something similar with Bioware. It didn't work because it created an entire extra layer of management that didn't set deadlines or make firm priorities so entire projects just got shuffled around for years until the money people demanded to see something substantive.

Activision-Blizzard owns CoD, not EA. EA owns Battlefield.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I would say that many people are drawn to the industry because of it's creative, artistic, and cultural elements. There aren't a lot of spaces that build something quite like games, and even though it's far from perfect, the culture of people is also pretty great on average.

I could make more, and see more stability in my career if I were to move to medical or finance or whatever, but I'd be miserable. I'll weather the bullshit I have to in this industry because the non-material benefits in games outweigh the tangibles of other industries. Ultimately, I think that is what drives the attraction to this industry and I don't think that's likely to change.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

Yet. Japan has a freakishly high conviction rate.

Not as a defense of the extremely broken system which mostly involves railroading whoever they can and ignoring anyone who can put up a fight regardless of guilt, but it's no longer comparatively freakishly high--that is, it's still 99.8%, but compares to say 99.6% for US federal cases.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
It really does suck to have missed most of the boxed product age of game development before GaaS came around. I have one box on my shelf of a game that did reasonably well that you could still install and run on a PC today. Everything else I have worked on is not installable/playable anywhere except for my current live service project (which will some day inevitably go away). That includes some games that there is no real reason they need an internet connection to function for 90% of the content, but it just wasn't worth the owner's time/money to build and release a version packaged to run offline.
I've been a game dev for almost 20 years now.
I think most devs of a similar age I know dream of retiring and making AA (or even smaller) titles that aren't GaaS. That's where most of the great work is being done these days IMO, but it's not work that pays well unless you are a founder/owner and very lucky to have a hit. I guess the good side of GaaS is that devs generally do make way more money now than they did 25 years ago.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Today was the last day of Waypoint, which sucks. BUT, it seems like they've somehow co-opted Waypoint+ into their own business/product, Remap Radio, still with Patrick/Rob/Ren(for now, sounds like she's eventually going into game dev)/Ricardo.

The website doesn't seem to be indexed or whatever yet because I get a warning from Spectrum.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1664446845672628224

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 2, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

DancingMachine posted:

It really does suck to have missed most of the boxed product age of game development before GaaS came around. I have one box on my shelf of a game that did reasonably well that you could still install and run on a PC today. Everything else I have worked on is not installable/playable anywhere except for my current live service project (which will some day inevitably go away). That includes some games that there is no real reason they need an internet connection to function for 90% of the content, but it just wasn't worth the owner's time/money to build and release a version packaged to run offline.
I've been a game dev for almost 20 years now.
I think most devs of a similar age I know dream of retiring and making AA (or even smaller) titles that aren't GaaS. That's where most of the great work is being done these days IMO, but it's not work that pays well unless you are a founder/owner and very lucky to have a hit. I guess the good side of GaaS is that devs generally do make way more money now than they did 25 years ago.

I'm closer to 15 years. Only ever worked in GaaS.

Dream of retiring to make AA or smaller titles.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anno posted:

Today was the last day of Waypoint, which sucks. BUT, it seems like they've somehow co-opted Waypoint+ into their own business/product, Remap Radio, still with Patrick/Rob/Ren(for now, sounds like she's eventually going into game dev)/Ricardo.

The website doesn't seem to be indexed or whatever yet because I get a warning from Spectrum.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1664446845672628224

Literally the only thing on this website is a "pay us money to join" - it doesn't even tell you what the site's about.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah it feels like a big ego thing to launch something like this and think it doesn't need to be on Patreon. I get not wanting one site to be the hub of all this stuff but also people aren't going to give their details (past the first few days when it's shiny and new) to a subscription site they haven't heard of. I think Brad Shoemaker mentioned on a Tech Pod episode a week ago that the first month of subs to a new thing is super deceptive because most of them aren't going to stick around for the second month, it feels even more precarious when there are extra hoops to jump through to resub.

E: OK looking at it more they're literally just continuing what was Waypoint+ using the same backend system, so if you were signed up to Waypoint+ you're automatically subbed to Remap. That still feels like a super weird way of going about it.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 2, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Vice gave them the Waypoint+ Memberful account with all of its existing subscriptions.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Does the FTC go after small-time youtubers for stuff like this, though, even in a "hey so we noticed, cut that poo poo out"? I don't know if it's just "most people are too small-fry individually to be worth making an example of", but the only FTC action I've heard about this sort of thing was around a couple of Actual Celebrities puffing up NFTs a year or two back, and as everyone knows the Raid Shadow Legends stuff has been going on for...what, the better part of a decade at this point?

They may, though it's more likely they'd go after the companies making the payments, or the platform. FTC has been more proactive and aggressive under the Biden admin than they have in decades.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

They may, though it's more likely they'd go after the companies making the payments, or the platform. FTC has been more proactive and aggressive under the Biden admin than they have in decades.

They very much do, but not at all in a consistent way. Unless someone complains (or the creator is a big enough "name" that they draw the FTC's attention), there seems to be no enforcement of it other than the quarterly "hey, don't do this" emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

At least in my EU country, the tax authorities go hard on influencers who don't declare advertising in their content.

E: In general, our tax department appears to be the only branch of government that is capable of keeping up with technological developments. They have also been catching a ton of crypto enthusiasts in the last decade :v:

Unfortunately it seems like the primary driver for policy on gaming is moral panic so there's a focus on archaic business models like lootboxes and determining how many hours a day it is safe to spend gaming.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 2, 2023