Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

delenda est detached single family homes

Delenda est capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

captainbananas posted:

You can live on The Farm, but you never really own what they 'sell' you either.

Palo Alto was out of control by the 1980s. But the last 20 years have been insanely brutal. Tract housing that sold to vets for ~ 100k in real 2023 USD terms is now north of $2M.

Sure, but you can live there until you die, so who cares?

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Is it thread consensus that a purchase in a mobile home complex is a dumb poo poo move, even if it's possibly more affordable than anything else (even after space rental), including condos/townhomes in the same area.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

space chandeliers posted:

Is it thread consensus that a purchase in a mobile home complex is a dumb poo poo move, even if it's possibly more affordable than anything else (even after space rental), including condos/townhomes in the same area.

The investors are snapping them up en masse and jacking up the lot rent with the explicit intent of evicting tenants and seizing their homes, which they can then rent out.

https://www.penncapital-star.com/dc-bureau/pa-man-says-mobile-home-residents-are-sitting-on-a-time-bomb-in-red-hot-housing-market/

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

MickeyFinn posted:

Sure, but you can live there until you die, so who cares?

not if you fail to get tenure. or upset the football team. or upset one or more trustees, etc. but otherwise, true.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The investors are snapping them up en masse and jacking up the lot rent with the explicit intent of evicting tenants and seizing their homes, which they can then rent out.

https://www.penncapital-star.com/dc-bureau/pa-man-says-mobile-home-residents-are-sitting-on-a-time-bomb-in-red-hot-housing-market/

Incredible, thank you. Love to see the Dems fighting back with..... 60 day notices? I'm in commie kkkalifornia so we have slightly better renter protections but not enough to make me feel comfortable.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

PoundSand posted:

It is a college town and on the boarder with another college town in Moscow, nothing fancy there but there’s some decent bars/restaurants and it’s pretty bikeable/walkable. I dunno where you’d really have a job if not at one of the two universities but if you can work remotely there are worse places to live.

Schweitzer Engineering (SEL) is a major employer here too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

The good news is they have lower pay scales for people working remote, so you can continue to marvel at the price of housing from Minnesota. If you are a professor, Stanford will kick in a bunch of money and/or sell you one of their properties.

yeah I'm remote in MN it's just funny

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

When I was looking, anything in a complex was either 55+ or meth central or almost as expensive as a house.

It may be just fine as long as the complex doesn't sell out, or otherwise jack up rates to insane degrees.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

in nyc there's a contract with almost every real estate transaction. hence the attorney.

and similar to above, in all your interactions with a seller, the seller's agent, your bank, even your own agent, etc., there is no one with your interests explicitly in mind. hence, the attorney. a real estate attorney has done this a million times, there's no "oh, well, forgot about that thing"

practically, i can see why not everyone would need an attorney in a relatively "vanilla" closing elsewhere in the country. However, at the moment something isn't vanilla... i'd rather have an attorney. beyond that, buying a home is the largest transaction most people will ever make. and you're the one with the money. don't you want to do everything you can to make sure everything is kosher, given that everyone wants that money??

e: the lien check mentioned earlier is part of it too. your bank will check. probably. But your attorney WILL check.

nyc is just weird because of how much money is there and almost everyone who is rich enough to live there but isn't independently wealthy work in some professional services capacity.

NYC is also the only place in the us that it is routine for renters to pay 10-15% upfront of the total annual lease to a rental broker who is the only person legally allowed to show the property

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Vomik posted:

nyc is just weird because of how much money is there and almost everyone who is rich enough to live there but isn't independently wealthy work in some professional services capacity.
this is an insane thing to say

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

actionjackson posted:

6.57% baby

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MORTGAGE30US/

can't believe i don't want to move within walking distance of work

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1216-California-Ave-Palo-Alto-CA-94306/19504865_zpid/

$2126/SF

that's some hong kong level poo poo

that’s also right in the middle of a high density traffic area and there is absolute poo poo for public transport there also lol if it doesn’t have AC

Apr 7, 2003

Contingent for nearly a half million

I am no structural engineer but my understanding is that those plates are for keeping the brick facade of your building from falling off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s caps on rebar running through the floor I think

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's wrong with them

Apr 7, 2003

They’re used to rectify bowing walls so the brick had already started separating at some point.

https://inspectapedia.com/structure/Brick_Wall_Repairs.php

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 04:10 on Jun 1, 2023

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

They’re used to rectify bowing walls so the brick had already started separating at some point.

https://inspectapedia.com/structure/Brick_Wall_Repairs.php

Incorrect, it’s a retrofitted reinforcement to protect against shear forces from seismic or high wind events. If the wall was bowing it would have to be rebuilt, a couple of dinky metal plates and rebar wouldn’t hold it together

Apr 7, 2003

There was a big to-do a few years back here about using the same exact plates to rein in bowing on a community center building

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's an anchor plate, a technique that's been around since the romans. it's no big deal. they're everywhere.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the gently caress is going on here lmao

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4455-S-48th-St-Milwaukee-WI-53220/110721431_zpid/

2020: lot sold $37k
2021: house built, listed for $479k
2022: eventually sold for $480k
2023: listed for $605k, reduced to $580k

the most expensive house in the area (next door) sold for $342k last year, most are in the $200s

who the gently caress built this thing

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
wow that is some Grover rear end design if I ever saw it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4455-S-48th-St-Milwaukee-WI-53220/110721431_zpid/

the most expensive house in the area (next door) sold for $342k last year, most are in the $200s

lol look at the freeway proximity

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Vomik posted:

NYC is also the only place in the us that it is routine for renters to pay 10-15% upfront of the total annual lease to a rental broker who is the only person legally allowed to show the property

you pay a 1 month's rent fee to the realtor in boston too.

I think some higher-end complexes will have their own guys to show the units, but for normal people you absolutely will be paying the $2k to the rear end in a top hat who unlocks the door for you.

Apr 7, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

lol that house is absolute loving garbage

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol the kitchen minus the island as my sing is to the left is a carbon copy of my apartment, what template is this lmao.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lmfao right next to a highway too.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it has a wine fridge you uncultured slobs

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

People in my area are listing 1000sqft houses for $1 mill. Who is even buying these things? I would rather move away than be crushed under massive debt in a tiny lovely house.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

cum jabbar posted:

it has a wine fridge you uncultured slobs

Some refer to this as the cum jabbar.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

you need to own the land under the trailer or really trust the person who does
if it's a corporation you'll regret your purchase because they'll absolutely use pinkertons to gently caress you up if you complain about the heinous poo poo they'll pull

j523
Jun 6, 2023

Relevant Tangent posted:

you need to own the land under the trailer or really trust the person who does
if it's a corporation you'll regret your purchase because they'll absolutely use pinkertons to gently caress you up if you complain about the heinous poo poo they'll pull

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Raccooon posted:

People in my area are listing 1000sqft houses for $1 mill. Who is even buying these things? I would rather move away than be crushed under massive debt in a tiny lovely house.

I would kill for a 1000sf home.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would kill for a 1000sf home.

you can still get some 700-800sqf condos around here for ~$200k, as long as you're okay with something built in the 70s that's falling down

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Raccooon posted:

I have a 900sqft house on a city lot and it rules,

Granted I paid significantly less though

Apr 7, 2003

Developers here are taking those small city houses and combining them to make more money

Two small 1890s rowhouses combined into one "luxury" home

So you can't even buy a small city house anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

spacious front yard

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is north shore like for families ?

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

what is north shore like for families ?

I was looking at a condo built in 1982, 1200 square feet, roof had never been replaced, two blocks from a bus stop where bystanders were killed during a shoot out
https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/2-women-killed-weekend-north-side-shooting-innocent-bystanders-police-say/Z333HYXJDNBE3NTHSWYOPH4GHU/

Went for over $400K

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Developers here are taking those small city houses and combining them to make more money

Two small 1890s rowhouses combined into one "luxury" home

So you can't even buy a small city house anymore.

I’m guessing the white families send their kids to private of school of choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

I’m guessing the white families send their kids to private of school of choice?

or they move, I went and saw a bunch of city rowhouses earlier in the year and almost every single one that was on the market belonged to a young family with kids approaching school age. The minute it involves their kids they forget how much they love the city and move to the good (white) districts and people here act like you're committing child abuse if your kids aren't going to North Allegheny, Fox Chapel, or Mt. Lebanon.