Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

EAT BRITAIN

What's the mustache policy in the CAF?

McKinsey told them this would fix the 15k pers shortage. For reference, the Canadian Government has hired McKinsey and Co. 3+ times in the past 10 years for multimillion dollar consulting jobs and it always ends up being stuff like this. There was another survey last month, where 70% of respondents reported being unhappy with the changes to military culture and wanted new housing, better pay and family benefits, but they always interpret that to mean "they want more DEI Consulting. Better write McKinsey a cheque."

It's like that academic article on the Danish government doing the exact same thing. I don't know why this is the only tool in the toolbox, but nobody who would have otherwise joined the Army otherwise didn't because you needed to be a NCO to grow a moustache, you were required to grow a moustache as a SNCO and only Sappers and Infantry Pioneers could grow beards without permission.

Rather than improving morale, people are really chaffing about these changes and it's not just confusing the civilian side who thought that "military feels more like tech job = good", now it feels like they're trying to brute force this stuff to prove a point, exactly like the Danish civil servants and consultants.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:26 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

just relaxing with my pals in the Order of Putin’s Friends (aka cspam)

Is there an Order of Trotsky's Friends and where do I sign up?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There is an ice axe association just around the corner.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The military is probably the only part of a society where "Fit in or gently caress off" serves a valuable, practical, purpose and it's antithetical to being atomized into consumers. Nobody is signing up for the pay, and they refuse to raise that anyway!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The military is probably the only part of a society where "Fit in or gently caress off" serves a valuable, practical, purpose and it's antithetical to being atomized into consumers. Nobody is signing up for the pay, and they refuse to raise that anyway!

So mandatory pizza Fridays and pay cuts? Can do!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

So mandatory pizza Fridays and pay cuts? Can do!

I'm in B2B2G all day, having used my 2 free coffees yesterday, but lol yeah we're going to spend more - just not on labour.

I can't talk about the content of the keynote, but Ukraine will win. Slava.

e: Media reported on it, Ukraine takes plea for more weapons directly to Canada's defence sector

Ukraine's defence minister bypassed the Canadian government Wednesday and took his country's plea for more sophisticated weapons directly to Canada's defence manufacturers.

Through a video statement, Oleksiy Reznikov told the audience assembled for Canada's largest defence exposition that his country has urgent military equipment needs that must be filled.

"Hence, we count on Canada's long-term support in this area," Reznikov told the Canadian Association of Defence and Security's (CADSI) annual trade show (CANSEC).

"Ukraine has given a list of their Canadian products and technologies it needs to the Canadian government."

Ukraine, he said, wants to work in partnership with Canada and its defence contractors to make sure the hardware is "available to us when we need [it] and in the quantities we require."

His appeal comes as the federal government struggles to get badly needed equipment to the Canadian Army in Europe and faces complaints from soldiers about the age and quality of their weapons and protective equipment.

Canada has donated over $1 billion worth of military hardware to Ukraine, including lightly-armoured patrol vehicles, a sophisticated air defence system, older anti-tank weapons, Leopard 2 main battle tanks and 155 millimetre howitzers. Not all of the equipment has been delivered yet.

While Reznikov expressed gratitude to Canada in his remarks, Ukrainian officials in Kyiv have privately expressed frustration at the pace of deliveries and have lobbied Canada behind closed doors to set up a more structured system and to give Ukraine direct access to the Canadian defence establishment.

The Ukrainian defence minister also laid down a marker in his speech, saying he hopes the coming reset of Canada's defence policy — which the Liberal government has been working on for more than a year — will include an ongoing commitment to his country.

"We expect that [a] substantial volume of technical assistance to Ukraine will be provided within the framework of the defence policy review, which is scheduled to be released in July," he said.

'Ukraine is Europe's shield'

On that point, Reznikov may be getting out ahead of his Canadian counterpart.

The Liberal government hasn't said when the policy will be published. It faces international pressure to have some kind of plan in place before the NATO leaders' summit in Vilnius in mid-July — a meeting that is being characterized already as an important milestone for the alliance.

"Ukraine is now performing the mission that NATO was created for. Ukraine is Europe's shield in the east from the Russian threat. We are destroying the military power that was targeting European values and freedoms," Reznikov said. "Fewer Russian weapons means fewer Russian influences."

He went on to remind the audience that "the decisions made by us today will influence the development of European and global security for the years to come."

Reznikov also made a pitch for closer cooperation between Canadian and Ukrainian defence contractors.

Defence Minister Anita Anand, who opened the annual CANSEC conference with a keynote address, was not present for Reznikov's speech. She was asked whether Ukraine had presented a specific list of Canadian high-tech equipment it would like to acquire.

"I consider all information requests that are being provided to me by minister Reznikov," Anand said before touring the conference floor. "I have been in touch with him and I will be meeting with him in the upcoming days."

Christyn Cianfarani, president and CEO of CADSI, said she can't speak to discussions individual companies may already have had with Ukraine, but her association, which is the representative of industry, has not seen a list that it can distribute to its members.

Poland is rearming itself at high speed — could Canada take a lesson from Warsaw?

Canada urged to track unaccompanied minors arriving from Ukraine

ANALYSISKeeping the world's democracies inside the western tent is a challenge for the G7, experts say

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:42 on Jun 1, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm in B2B2G all day, having used my 2 free coffees yesterday, but lol yeah we're going to spend more - just not on labour.

I can't talk about the content of the keynote, but Ukraine will win. Slava.

That Ukranian dude is dressing very INGSOC. The telescreens really add to the authenticity.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm very excited with how the pants and bracers turned out, but I'm not too happy with his chest armor. I still need to work on that kind of fine detailing (I want to say the paint pot was kinda bad, but I don't want to make excuses for myself)

Slava Al-Saqr!

Dope

Not a dig or anything because im also bad about not doing this, but you can straighten out bent swords & staffs by dipping them in hot (boiled or even microwaved) water until they go soft, straightening them, then holding them taut in cold water until they harden again

Just a tip for anyone getting into painting tiny men since 90% of plastic swords look like pool noodles coming out of the packaging

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Dope

Not a dig or anything because im also bad about not doing this, but you can straighten out bent swords & staffs by dipping them in hot (boiled or even microwaved) water until they go soft, straightening them, then holding them taut in cold water until they harden again

Just a tip for anyone getting into painting tiny men since 90% of plastic swords look like pool noodles coming out of the packaging

ah ha, okay - I have another wizard to paint, I will keep that in mind

thank you!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

couldn’t you hold the whole doll upside down at the reverse angle to get those parts straight instead of holding the part directly

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Is your paint having issues sticking? It looks like it's not sticking in spots. You might want to prime those if you are, I know some of those plastics claim they don't need to be primed but I've definitely had issues depending on paint brand. Also totally grab a few pots of washes for some easy shades! Agrax earthshade works on everything man.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

you were required to grow a moustache as a SNCO

I love this and I don't know why. How about officers, previous to this new policy?
Good luck at the conference.

euphronius posted:

couldn’t you hold the whole doll upside down at the reverse angle to get those parts straight instead of holding the part directly

I'm going to say it's too light to straighten under it's own weight.

evilmiera posted:

Is there an Order of Trotsky's Friends and where do I sign up?

The dustbin of history, which is where you belong.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/gonchar4/status/1663885410521563136
https://twitter.com/nejmovirno/status/1663900566345457665

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'm sure there are nice Ukrainians, but none of them use twitter

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52YOsjGINSc

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

I love this and I don't know why. How about officers, previous to this new policy?

Varied by unit and seniority. When the Hussars were in Germany it was expected of junior officers, but otherwise I think it was sort of variable. All of the Majors I worked for had them though.

Weka posted:

Good luck at the conference.

I'll try to do a writeup when I get out, but I really do feel like neoliberalism cut the legs out from under this and, while it's as profitable as ever, they're not going to be able to do what they want to. They can't, or won't, direct productive forces to create huge quantities of materiel anymore. It's not designed to be an economy of scale, and Willow Run isn't coming back. Consequently, however much money they throw at Taiwan and Ukraine, that's not translating to actually restocking guns and ammunition. It's all very interesting.

Also, at least in the discussions about gunnery here, Ukraine is said to have 30% casualties among M777 crews. It's hard to tell if that's part of the push for us to buy CAESAR, ARCHER or HIMARS, but it's a reasonable figure for me and about what we expected back in the Cold War. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that's what would be the expected outcome for an outgunned force in an intense conventional battle and high threat CB environment. The thing is, rather than the attitude that, yeah, that's the nature of the business, the talk turns to next generation, mobile, digital etc etc which imo just translates to more expensive hardware. It's not really acknowledging the nature of the problem or that you can't spend your way out of the enemy shooting back.

I don't know, it's strange seeing the logic of expeditionary wars applied to a conventional war. Putting as many guns into the field as quickly and at as low a cost as possible, and accepting that gun crews will take casualties goes against every trend since 1991, and I wonder how that will be resolved. They're still pushing new guided shells and advanced propellants despite guidance turning out to be ho hum compared to weight of fire and ammunition expenditure rates suggesting "good enough" propellant purchased by the tonne beats the advanced long sticks with combustable case. I don't know if this is too in the weeds, but there's a tension there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wait until someone turns up to the border with fresh made bread and the not bread havers get shirty about it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Weka posted:

Textual sources suggest higher quality wood was used but the majority of shields recovered have been made of poo poo like pine.

that's likely because you have to chemically treat pine to hell and back in order for it to survive heavy outdoors use, so those shields they found gotta be so shot through with preservatives that no decomposer in its right mind would go near it

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i dont know what they treated wood with, but leather was treated with "pure" which is made from dog poo poo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

that's likely because you have to chemically treat pine to hell and back in order for it to survive heavy outdoors use, so those shields they found gotta be so shot through with preservatives that no decomposer in its right mind would go near it

linseed oil and arsenic maybe?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Varied by unit and seniority. When the Hussars were in Germany it was expected of junior officers, but otherwise I think it was sort of variable. All of the Majors I worked for had them though.

I'll try to do a writeup when I get out, but I really do feel like neoliberalism cut the legs out from under this and, while it's as profitable as ever, they're not going to be able to do what they want to. They can't, or won't, direct productive forces to create huge quantities of materiel anymore. It's not designed to be an economy of scale, and Willow Run isn't coming back. Consequently, however much money they throw at Taiwan and Ukraine, that's not translating to actually restocking guns and ammunition. It's all very interesting.

Also, at least in the discussions about gunnery here, Ukraine is said to have 30% casualties among M777 crews. It's hard to tell if that's part of the push for us to buy CAESAR, ARCHER or HIMARS, but it's a reasonable figure for me and about what we expected back in the Cold War. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that's what would be the expected outcome for an outgunned force in an intense conventional battle and high threat CB environment. The thing is, rather than the attitude that, yeah, that's the nature of the business, the talk turns to next generation, mobile, digital etc etc which imo just translates to more expensive hardware. It's not really acknowledging the nature of the problem or that you can't spend your way out of the enemy shooting back.

I don't know, it's strange seeing the logic of expeditionary wars applied to a conventional war. Putting as many guns into the field as quickly and at as low a cost as possible, and accepting that gun crews will take casualties goes against every trend since 1991, and I wonder how that will be resolved. They're still pushing new guided shells and advanced propellants despite guidance turning out to be ho hum compared to weight of fire and ammunition expenditure rates suggesting "good enough" propellant purchased by the tonne beats the advanced long sticks with combustable case. I don't know if this is too in the weeds, but there's a tension there.

Yeah, I don’t know how much damage Excalibur rounds actually did considering the small number and cost. It seems like the ability to fire in battery and then call in call up shots would ultimately be more efficient than throw up a couple more accurate shells and hope it is enough to do the job. If anything Ukrainian fire for a while has seemed to be mostly about light harassment.

It all makes sense if the military along with the government itself is simply a conduit for taxes dollars to corporations and military are not expected to do a good job beyond light colonial operations (and maybe not even then).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Jun 1, 2023

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

boo boo bear posted:

aren't there different types of cows? sizes? ages? this entire economic system seems doomed to failure and I will not support it.

Better than government-issued fiat currency though, am I right?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

counteroffensive when

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Starsfan posted:

yeah I think there were protests outside of some Washington Capitals games when they played on the road (and possibly at home?) because Alexander Ovechkin has been vocally supportive of Putin in the past.. those died down pretty quick when it became apparent that the NHL wasn't going to do poo poo to punish it's Russian players and the "journalists" who cover the NHL (basically employees of the teams) weren't going to risk any relationships asking uncomfortable questions to the various Russian star players.

Czechia actually threatened to ban the Russian players from the San Jose Sharks and the Nashville Predators from entering their country to play in 2 scheduled regular season games there (it was one of those NHL in Europe events) but the teams told the government to go gently caress themselves and they could either let in the Russians and treat them well as their guests or the games wouldn't happen. The Czechia government backed off pretty quickly and I don't recall if there was any protests or booing at the games from the crowd. That's as close as Russian hockey players ever got to being sanctioned.

I thought it was funny that several teams used the invasion as a way to stop hosting pride events.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

In all honesty, it seems like those high cut helmets would actually be a liability in what is mostly an artillery war, but w/e I guess.

ok but they make you look like an OPERATOR which is what matters

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don’t know how much Excalibur rounds actually did considering the small number and cost. It seems like the ability to fire in battery and then call in call up shots would ultimately be more efficient than throw up a couple more accurate shells and hope it is enough to do the job.

It all makes sense if the military along with the government itself is simply a conduit for taxes dollars to corporations and military are not expected to do a good job beyond light colonial operations (and maybe not even then).

For sure. I just meant that the ability of crews to stand to the guns under fire is supposed to be the mark of a good artillery arm. That’s not a problem in search of a technological solution, Ukraine’s inability to replace their own guns notwithstanding.

It’s hard to tell what is the MIC pushing product and what is western governments blanching at the idea of 30% casualties. True, that would be a disaster in Afghanistan, but better than you could hope for in Fulda.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know, it's strange seeing the logic of expeditionary wars applied to a conventional war.

I wonder if we would see recruitment numbers massively go up in a western nation for a more existential war, or if the neoliberalism is too deep.

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know if this is too in the weeds,

Nah.

Cerebral Bore posted:

IDK that there's really a timber preservative that lasts for 800 years. I'm guessing it's more to do with their local environment.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Going down a rabbit hole of looking at old not-tanks- lol at the guy poking his head out

They should also bring back whatever this thing would be classified as- the Panhard EBR- what a neat design.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

For sure. I just meant that the ability of crews to stand to the guns under fire is supposed to be the mark of a good artillery arm. That’s not a problem in search of a technological solution, Ukraine’s inability to replace their own guns notwithstanding.

It’s hard to tell what is the MIC pushing product and what is western governments blanching at the idea of 30% casualties. True, that would be a disaster in Afghanistan, but better than you could hope for in Fulda.

It is probably 60/40, mostly about the money, with also the knowledge that Western professional militaries are probably not going to stand up to significant casualties for long. They simply don’t want to fight those wars, they are messy and costly in a way that may not be conductive to maximizing profitability.

Of course, selling weapons for a future conflict is fine but it is got to be the highest priced gizmo feasible. It is also why the West will do anything possible to avoid actual even near peer conflicts at this point.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Weka posted:

American troops buy their own uniforms and boots.

Medals, too, right?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i dont know what they treated wood with, but leather was treated with "pure" which is made from dog poo poo

It's not treated with it, you rub it on and the leather becomes more absorbent, then you rub it off and apply your treatment. It's a very noticeable effect where the leather really swells up and becomes puffy.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So the technology Russia uses to screw up GPS near Kremlin, can they do the same thing against the HIMARS rockets? Can they run it 247 near all the bridges and basically make your high precision shells pretty ineffective because Ukraine is a vast land of wheat field?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hot date tonight! posted:

Is your paint having issues sticking? It looks like it's not sticking in spots. You might want to prime those if you are, I know some of those plastics claim they don't need to be primed but I've definitely had issues depending on paint brand. Also totally grab a few pots of washes for some easy shades! Agrax earthshade works on everything man.

I think it's the paint brand - I bought a set of locally produced paints because it was cheap and I could get it quickly and I wanted to "support local businesses", but I think the quality just isn't there

I'll definitely try putting some shade on these two minis I've already done - I already practice drybrushing, but shades are something I'm still going to learn

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

counteroffensive when

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1663840188370411520

ukraine are pulling off some seriously impressive psyops, basically disrupting russian forces before the offensive even starts

Weka
May 5, 2019

Futanari Damacy posted:

Going down a rabbit hole of looking at old not-tanks- lol at the guy poking his head out

Looks like we've got a tank racist. Those are tanks, to me.

SplitSoul posted:

Medals, too, right?

Not my wheelhouse but I believe so. Maybe mlmp will tell us how much it costs for the pedant: first class ribbon though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Weka posted:

IDK that there's really a timber preservative that lasts for 800 years. I'm guessing it's more to do with their local environment.

probably a bit of column a and a bit of column b, any environment that lends itself to preserving things would also likely lack much stuff that could leach the preservatives out of the wood

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's the paint brand - I bought a set of locally produced paints because it was cheap and I could get it quickly and I wanted to "support local businesses", but I think the quality just isn't there

I'll definitely try putting some shade on these two minis I've already done - I already practice drybrushing, but shades are something I'm still going to learn

top tip, if you use black primer you get a lot of the shading done for free so to speak

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
why not spray a coating of white from above for even better shading

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
q/e

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

McKinsey told them this would fix the 15k pers shortage. For reference, the Canadian Government has hired McKinsey and Co. 3+ times in the past 10 years for multimillion dollar consulting jobs and it always ends up being stuff like this. There was another survey last month, where 70% of respondents reported being unhappy with the changes to military culture and wanted new housing, better pay and family benefits, but they always interpret that to mean "they want more DEI Consulting. Better write McKinsey a cheque."

It's like that academic article on the Danish government doing the exact same thing. I don't know why this is the only tool in the toolbox, but nobody who would have otherwise joined the Army otherwise didn't because you needed to be a NCO to grow a moustache, you were required to grow a moustache as a SNCO and only Sappers and Infantry Pioneers could grow beards without permission.

Rather than improving morale, people are really chaffing about these changes and it's not just confusing the civilian side who thought that "military feels more like tech job = good", now it feels like they're trying to brute force this stuff to prove a point, exactly like the Danish civil servants and consultants.

Allowing you to have a beard has a final cost of whatever it cost to change the documents to allow it. Better pay/housing/benefits has like infinitely more cost to it. Didn't we buy Ukraine an IRIS-T but can't afford anything but MANPAD for our own forces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

Medals, too, right?

Sometimes. It’s not uncommmon to only receive the first medal of a type free and after that any repeats they buy themselves.

Officers buy their own uniforms but get paid better. Enlisted soldiers get a tax-free clothing allowance in addition to basic taxable pay with which to buy uniforms from the government store. (non-soldiers cannot shop there because it’s untaxed and subsidized).

Otherwise, US troops get issued free uniforms three major times: basic training, prior to any deployment, and any time a whole new uniform comes out. Prior to deployments, soldiers (including officers) are fielded new boots, armor, fire resistant gear, rucksacks, backpacks, gloves, protective gear (eyes, ears, hands, joints, etc), underwear, water carriers, some tools, lights, survival gear, etc.

Additionally, while deployed, units get access to a fund that amounts to something like $100/mo per soldier to order replacement uniforms, boots, etc to be delivered to the soldier. Sometimes people come home with a bunch of new in wrapping gear from deployment as result.

E: women get more clothing allowance because women’s uniform items and variety are more expensive and more diverse than mens.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Jun 1, 2023