Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

These temps are kinda high for a 5600X at ~5% CPU utilization, right?

Cooler is a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2.

Windows is showing high clocks despite the low utilization:

So, is this a thing where Windows is reporting the wrong clock speed, or is my CPU really not idling properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
?meaningless numbers without ambient temp?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

These temps are kinda high for a 5600X at ~5% CPU utilization, right?

Cooler is a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2.

So, is this a thing where Windows is reporting the wrong clock speed, or is my CPU really not idling properly?

Can you post the entire hwinfo64 window? I think theres an export, just throw it on imgur and link it or whatever.

Its probably normal.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've bent pins on 462/478/939/AM2/AM3 processors but never so bad they weren't easily fixed with a pair of lil tweezers.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Seamonster posted:

?meaningless numbers without ambient temp?

Yeah I forgot to say, ambient temp is less than 20 C.

hobbesmaster posted:

Can you post the entire hwinfo64 window? I think theres an export, just throw it on imgur and link it or whatever.

Its probably normal.

Doesn't seem to be a way to get the whole table exactly how its laid out in the UI, but the text report has the same info:
https://pastebin.com/y8R26NPB

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Idle temps are in general almost meaningless, and are basically impossible to compare with other people. (Besides different coolers and ambient, your "idle" might have more background work than mine.)

What's the load temp? If load temp is barely higher than idle, do you have max performance power profile turned on in windows (aka waste all the power) or any "performance tuning" software (including from your mobo maker)?

edit: that hwinfo looks totally normal, the CPU sensors are in the high 30s / barely 40s. I'd guess the previous screenshot the OS was a little less "idle" than you thought. (Task manager % utilization can do that, yet another imprecise single number representing something too complex for one number.)

VostokProgram posted:

Windows task manager clockspeed is highest core during the poll, it's usually high. It's not a very good measure.

Better is hwinfo, and best is ryzen master (which shows per-core speed plus sleep vs wake state).

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 31, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FuturePastNow posted:

I've bent pins on 462/478/939/AM2/AM3 processors but never so bad they weren't easily fixed with a pair of lil tweezers.

I bent some pins on my Socket 939 dual-core upgrade and then when trying to straighten them I broke a bunch straight off.

Thing went on to be rock solid stable with a mild overclock for years.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah I forgot to say, ambient temp is less than 20 C.

Doesn't seem to be a way to get the whole table exactly how its laid out in the UI, but the text report has the same info:
https://pastebin.com/y8R26NPB

But ambient in your case is hotter at 32C (very normal reading btw) and your fans are slow. Desktop ryzen will always draw about 20W even with all cores parked so that looks right.

Is everything on auto?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It is very normal to see 4+ GHz in the task manager. What my task manager looks like with a 7800X3D:

What my Ryzen Master screen looks like:

This is typical idling behavior. If your CPU doesn't get too hot under load, then I'd just chalk this down to a very lax fan curve that runs your fans at very low RPMs when the CPU is idle, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You should stop worrying about it and not bother with any changes if this is the case.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 31, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

runaway dog posted:

eh I have the opposite experience, when I built my 4790k system I got my fingernail hooked on the pins of the mobo and bent like 10 pins which I then bent back with like a pen or a pocket knife, was freaking out but it ended up working fine, I even oc'd the cpu a lot.

Then on my 8700k I got a bunch of thermal paste on the the bottom of the cpu all over the pads and I cleaned it with some iso and swabs but it was never truly clean again but I never had problems with that one either same story with the ocing and in that instance i was glad the chip wasnt pga. all a bit anecdotal though, I also own razer products that havent self destructed, life is chaos.

agree about the bit about using the epyc sled design its really slick

Bending the pins up is less-bad than crushing them down into the socket, at least you can be assured that the pins aren't doing the "you didn't bend the pins back up enough and now they're not contacting but you have no way to telling" thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hobbesmaster posted:

But ambient in your case is hotter at 32C (very normal reading btw)

Motherboard / SYS temperature is gonna be on the chipset chip, so not the same as ambient.

One of those AUX temperatures might be a true ambient, or they might be headers with no sensor reporting a dummy value. Only way to know is hotbox the case and see if they change.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yeah ok its a fan speed thing. With all fans set to 100%, the idle temp is around 37C. And under load (cinebench) it goes to 65C.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I bent some pins on my 5600x, fixed them with a razor.

I remember fixing pins on a pentium with the ink tube from a ballpoint, those were nice and easy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When I did computer service I had to deal with bent pins sometimes. For me razor blades usually did the trick. It was also at a refurbishing place, so it was nice and low-stakes - I had oodles of parts to work with. That's where my penchant for upgrading to the peak of an older generation of computers really kicked into gear. 4GB of DDR1 on a socket 939 dual-core? Hell yeah!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've recovered at least three AMD CPUs with bent pins, also with razorblades, but I'm terrified of LGA sockets

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I only rarely worked with LGA sockets, mostly because my supply was entirely dependent on what computers people dropped for recycling, and I think it was pretty close in time to when Intel first starting going all-in on them.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I've been building pcs for a while now (pre Athlon days) and never bent a pin. Stop throwing your cpus around the room or whatever y'all are doing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ive bought and fixed a ton of "as is" old CPUs with bent pins with a mechanical pencil and a razor blade. Had really good luck. I've also fixed a few LGA sockets, but it is a huge, huge pain in the rear end compared to bent CPU pins.

LGA really isn't that scary. Done countless swaps with old intel platforms, generally just dont drop poo poo and its fine... but it is absolutely more fragile than yee olden days.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Trashpicked pentiums are the best pentiums.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Bending the pins up is less-bad than crushing them down into the socket, at least you can be assured that the pins aren't doing the "you didn't bend the pins back up enough and now they're not contacting but you have no way to telling" thing.

I remember having a few that were crushed down too, I guess when my nail hooked my knuckle went in, I remember pulling them up so that they sat higher because I figured all the pins get slightly mashed in anyway when you seat the cpu, it would self level, perhaps I just got lucky. it skeeves me out way more thinking about one of those pins on the pga chip breaking off, especially since I remember there was an influx of people doing it during ryzen 3000, or maybe 2000. though I never had a single problem with any of my pga builds, well I did, but it wasn't because of the socket, it was more because back in those amd athlon days they just had the silicon exposed, and I was a huge dumbass, then another time I bought a Soyo brand motherboard.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I personally swapped probably 300 motherboards during the capacitor plague of the early 2000s. Mechanical pencil and a guitar pick saved many a CPU from bent pin death.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
nice cheap investment for am5 owners

https://twitter.com/oc3d/status/1663856902218850304

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My bequiet cooler came with a similar offset mount when I bought it last year with positioning for AM4 and AM5, and I think Arctic have been doing the offset mount thing for ages as well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Oh, that brings up a question I forgot to ask yesterday - if I replace my Intel CPU/MoBo for AMD, will I need a new cooler? Are they specific to cpu/motherboard layout?

Might be a dumb question but I've never used AMD before.

I have a Noctua NH-D15S.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Annath posted:

Oh, that brings up a question I forgot to ask yesterday - if I replace my Intel CPU/MoBo for AMD, will I need a new cooler? Are they specific to cpu/motherboard layout?

Might be a dumb question but I've never used AMD before.

I have a Noctua NH-D15S.

If you have the box for it, see if you have the am4 brackets. They work with am5. If not, request the brackets from Noctua, they'll send them for free

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

HalloKitty posted:

If you have the box for it, see if you have the am4 brackets. They work with am5. If not, request the brackets from Noctua, they'll send them for free

I don't have the box/any other items, I bought the cooler over 3 years ago :v:

I'll contact Noctua though!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Annath posted:

Mounting hardware is specific to cpu/mobo (more specifically, to CPU socket type). But most heatsinks come with multiple varieties of mounting hardware.

If your NH-D15S dates back from when you got the 6600K, it probably doesn't have AM4 mounting hardware.

Annath posted:

I don't have the box/any other items, I bought the cooler over 3 years ago :v:

I'll contact Noctua though!

This is the order form for the kit you need. You don't need a code form the box, just an invoice / receipt -- if you bought it online you can probably recover that.

The downside is you *also* need an invoice from buying an AM4/5 mobo. Which means you buy your new hardware and then have to wait a week or two to get the free upgrade kit.

edit: alternately you can just buy the mounting kit straight up for $8 on amazon

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
its been [0] days since the last motherboard incident

https://twitter.com/wiredscience/status/1663899170774687744

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My motherboard is on the list. At least disabling the feature seems easy:

https://eclypsium.com/blog/supply-chain-risk-from-gigabyte-app-center-backdoor/ posted:

disable the “APP Center Download & Install” feature in UEFI/BIOS Setup on Gigabyte systems

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah just make sure to disable it each time you update the BIOS.

Its on by default usually.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
IMO the main risk to everyone ITT is not that someone will use this to MITM malware onto your PC in some complex scheme. The main risk is that you will have a bunch of crappy mobo software automatically installed behind your back.

This is becoming a pretty standard feature. It reduces support costs. Microsoft is in *support* of these types of UEFI-embedded drivers (doubtless they would prefer them to be written more competently).

So basically all expert users should keep in the back of their mind that they should look for these features to turn off on setup.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I want that am5 offset mount, advertised as dropping temperatures by the same amount as the new NH - d15 versus the old NH -d15 so it's like it's like I'm upgrading to the new one almost heh

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 31, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rwc5_tDyAg

ASRock shows off a DeskMini with a chipset-free AM5 board (X600). The "Taichi Light" boards they're showing are also interesting. If it really is $100 cheaper than the Taichi, then I would've strongly considered the B650E one had it been an option at the time I built my system.

edit: The B650E Taichi has only two PCIe slots, and the second (non-GPU) one is disabled if you dare use three m.2 drives, so lmao, maybe not. ASRock is the only company doing that kind of lane sharing in most of their B650 boards and I have no idea why.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 1, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rwc5_tDyAg

ASRock shows off a DeskMini with a chipset-free AM5 board (X600). The "Taichi Light" boards they're showing are also interesting. If it really is $100 cheaper than the Taichi, then I would've strongly considered the B650E one had it been an option at the time I built my system.

Ha, a crazed fan emailed ASRock directly 8 months ago and their sales were already talking about the Deskmini X600: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/xwgpvh/asrock_x600_am5_ministx_coming_in_2023q1/

I didn't know it was called X600 until you mentioned it just now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The entire point of the X300 is to be completely chipset-less, more of a SoC-like board that you find in a laptop. They also aren't supposed to be available outside of China, but I've seen one at a Danish retailer so :shrug:

If I can find the budget for it, I've been considering trying to source one and putting in the cheapest Ryzen Pro APU in it, then seeing if it can be passively cooled.

EDIT: I don't know how the X600 is supposed to work, considering that Intels ME is embedded in the PCH.
Does that mean an Management Engine-less Intel system?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 1, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The entire point of the X300 is to be completely chipset-less, more of a SoC-like board that you find in a laptop. They also aren't supposed to be available outside of China, but I've seen one at a Danish retailer so :shrug:

If I can find the budget for it, I've been considering trying to source one and putting in the cheapest Ryzen Pro APU in it, then seeing if it can be passively cooled.

EDIT: I don't know how the X600 is supposed to work, considering that Intels ME is embedded in the PCH.
Does that mean an Management Engine-less Intel system?

X600 is a chipset-free AM5 platform, not Intel.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

X600 is a chipset-free AM5 platform, not Intel.
Ah, that makes sense.

Still would be nice to have some of this to play with; maybe if the price falls a bit more.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gigabyte dropped a new bios today that "Addresses Download Assistant Vulnerabilities Reported by Eclypsium Research"

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
interesting errata for Epyc 7002 CPU's:

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy