Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It will feel almost serendipitous if the lego Jaws boat is too small just for the obvious joke reviewers can make in the taglines of their videos/articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I reckon if the cat does well they'll start putting out a lot more like that. Especially since one of their new designers is really good at detailed animals.

That's the Lego masters Australia guy right? I want his fox and wolves

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

trevorreznik posted:

That's the Lego masters Australia guy right? I want his fox and wolves

Yeah.

Apparently a few of the US contestants work there now too.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Roy Scheider's family will never sign off of getting his likeness approved. Just ask NECA. The Roy Scheider estate blocked the release of their figure.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Roy Scheider's family will never sign off of getting his likeness approved. Just ask NECA. The Roy Scheider estate blocked the release of their figure.

Doesn’t Lego check on all licensing before they make final picks? I thought they don’t choose them as winners for production if they can’t make them. If I recall that is what happened with Voltron, it was pending in limbo for like two voting cycles or something like that. Maybe his family felt a Lego minifigure of him was ok vs. NECA’s figure. :shrug:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do LEGO guys grow their nails long like that to get parts apart easier just use the Lego separator that’s what it’s for. Nasty rear end.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

DrChud posted:

Doesn’t Lego check on all licensing before they make final picks? I thought they don’t choose them as winners for production if they can’t make them. If I recall that is what happened with Voltron, it was pending in limbo for like two voting cycles or something like that. Maybe his family felt a Lego minifigure of him was ok vs. NECA’s figure. :shrug:

Yeah, usually. Who knows maybe he has some grandkids who love Lego so they greenlight it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Hell yeah Jaws.

One of my earliest lego memories is playing with a police boat set and a shark in the bath tub.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The mini figs are a nice touch to the set, but I don’t think anyone but the hardest core Lego and Jaws needs would be upset if there were no figures included, if it came to that. Just get the movie license for the boat and shark and call it a day, if you can’t do generic sheriff mini fig for Schneider.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, makes me wonder how the law works there. Lego minifigs are VERY abstract representations. The actor doesn’t own the character name or the costume, so whether it’s a likeness or not comes down to pretty fuzzy details.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A beige torso and a yellow lego head would work fine. I'm sure some collectors will sulk about it but no one reasonable is gonna care.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Yeah, makes me wonder how the law works there. Lego minifigs are VERY abstract representations. The actor doesn’t own the character name or the costume, so whether it’s a likeness or not comes down to pretty fuzzy details.

Even action figures that are much more detailed and less abstract get made without having likeness rights, just slap a generic face and hairstyle on that's different enough and you're good to go.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Disney Infinity character art team had to make a Captain Barbossa toy that looked like Barbossa but didn't look like Geoffrey Rush. It's fairly common.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Heck, give em fun generic names

Jaws(tm), starring:
Seasick Cop
Put-upon Beardo
Salty Monologuist
and
BRUCE

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

2660 Pieces
1 currently unknown minifigure
$169.99 USD

Okay then. I guess it’s for people who thought the previous Hogwarts was too big/expensive

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

RatHat posted:

2660 Pieces
$169.99 USD

Okay then. I guess it’s for people who thought the previous Hogwarts was too big/expensive
Can we get a LOTR version of this concept please

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They could extend the Architecture style to basically any story, IP, or franchise, really.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

While I'd love more LOTR/Hobbit sets, I can't think of any location that would make a great set. Hogwarts makes sense to make, 80% of the movies take place there. LOTR/Hobbit bounces around Middle Earth so much.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

deoju posted:

While I'd love more LOTR/Hobbit sets, I can't think of any location that would make a great set. Hogwarts makes sense to make, 80% of the movies take place there. LOTR/Hobbit bounces around Middle Earth so much.

I mean I wouldn't say no to a Minas Tirith that was a reasonable size to display on a shelf in my office.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh, yeah. Minas Tirith would be a good choice. Dunno why I didn't think of that.

Edit: Maybe we'd finally get Faramir, Eowyn, and Denethor.

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 31, 2023

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Edoras built on a hill with the plains around it, as in the Jackson films would be really nice.

I recon the gates of Erebor could be pulled off too.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I saw this on the front page of Rebrickable

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-149803/MavericBrick/the-white-city-10256-taj-mahal-alternate-build/#details

You can also look at these ones from benbuildslego
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-30968/benbuildslego/micro-minas-tirith/#details
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29781/benbuildslego/the-lrd-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-king/#details
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-76149/benbuildslego/the-return-of-the-king-skyline-lite/#details

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mitochondritom posted:

Edoras built on a hill with the plains around it, as in the Jackson films would be really nice.

I recon the gates of Erebor could be pulled off too.

Bag End, Helm's Deep, Orthanc, Halls of Moria, the Argonath..

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I’m on mobile so it’s annoying to post a pic but the leaked technic Audi looks like complete doo doo

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Does anyone know what time new sets go on sale on Lego's website? I'm not going to be able to make it to my local store for Ninjago tomorrow. :/

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The new ninjago set went on sale at 1:00ish AM local time here in Germany apparently, if that’s any help. I remember it being similar for other sets in the past.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

CommanderApaul posted:

Does anyone know what time new sets go on sale on Lego's website? I'm not going to be able to make it to my local store for Ninjago tomorrow. :/

Midnight EST if you're in the US.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Whoa that ninja go set is almost 400 bones

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’m on mobile so it’s annoying to post a pic but the leaked technic Audi looks like complete doo doo
https://postimages.org

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

RatHat posted:

2660 Pieces
$169.99 USD

It’s me! I wanted the big castle but it’s too big/expensive. This looks dope.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Some new Friends sets got leaked from the same catalogue.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The RS Q is hardly a looker to begin with but good god.

So. Many. Stickers. :barf:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I had a GWP of the catalog added to my order. WTF.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 1, 2023

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Working on a version of my local(ish) railway station (Burwood in Sydney). It's relatively unusual in that the station is built inside an overpass/bridge in the middle of a busy shopping area which makes it perfect for a modular street. Once I'm satisfied with it I'm going to start hitting up Bricklink.

I'm really happy with the ticket gates. They are just red 2x2 triangular tiles mounted on a snot brick but the effect works really well.

It's a tight squeeze on the platform though (I've already cheated slightly and move the tracks out a bit) and I'm not sure if I'd be better off going back to one railway line with a bigger platform and a large glass skylight to the concourse.

Definitely keep the dual track.
Why are you giving yourself so little platform space? Do you need the room either side for more structures still to come?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Definitely keep the dual track.
Why are you giving yourself so little platform space? Do you need the room either side for more structures still to come?

Originally I wanted it to fit onto a single 32 baseplate and have the standard track spacings, so the tracks are 4 from each edge with an 8-stud gap in the middle. You can squeeze a platform into that space but with the stair exit there isn't much room on either side. I could push the tracks closer to the edge (they are 3 in that picture and I could go to 2) but it'd still be pretty tight.

What I might do is extended it to 48 wide and ditch the standard track spacings entirely. It'd give me more room for a wider platform and skylights for the concourse, and I could use the remaining space to do this building which is just perfect for a modular-style adaption.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 1, 2023

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'd do that.

Gonna do a train while you're at it?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
This thread is about to get me into trains

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Waltzing Along posted:

Ditto, weird.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RatHat posted:

2660 Pieces
$169.99 USD

This rules pretty hard.

FBS posted:

Honestly yeah. Shelve space is a premium and mini set pieces would be a dream.

mutata posted:

They could extend the Architecture style to basically any story, IP, or franchise, really.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, it's a weird test that's being run. The idea is to add the catalogue to orders over a certain amount, instead of sending them out randomly to people or however it's done already.
I guess adding them as a GWP is the quickest way to do it.

It's only being done in the US and only until we run out of the initial stock, right now. I guess they'll decide if they want to keep doing this after.