Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Saying the quiet part out loud.

Conservatives are the #1 enemy of America and the world at large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Who could forget that most famous of phrases from our finest Republican president, "this government: of the people, of the people and of the people"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It means that they consider the act of governing to be a negative that they should be trying to prevent as part of their duties to represent their constituents.

Which isn't really a quiet part, it was a pretty loud tagline from Reagan with his idea of short government or how government is the problem. It's just been so long and that idea wasn't really central to the party under W and Trump. Although usually they mean limiting government as in conservatively protecting against change rather than trying to wreck things to make Biden look bad.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
they are elected to represent the rich, not to govern them

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Power scrolling to say, if you are a person really going to bat for Torchy's you really are lost in the head.

That poo poo was cool and good like ten years ago when it was a good spot to get a taco "trashy" (e.g, drowned in queso), but hot drat they are no where near that anymore and it's just loving taco bell with whistles.

Austin getting somewhat decent food made a lot of y'all forget what actual good food is. I swear all of people around Austin recognize the food isn't the same trash it was 20 years ago, but it's still not a staple of the city; like it's literally some of the worst food imaginable everywhere you go.

Like loving give it a rest, Austin food scene sucks...has sucked...will always suck. If you want good food, it's San Antonio or Houston...unless you want bland white people "spicy" Korean food.

E: I don't think I'm in the right thread, but it's TX related so it stands

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

zoux posted:

Dude's also heng dai as gently caress with Abbot
What does this mean?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

drunk mutt posted:

Power scrolling to say, if you are a person really going to bat for Torchy's you really are lost in the head.

That poo poo was cool and good like ten years ago when it was a good spot to get a taco "trashy" (e.g, drowned in queso), but hot drat they are no where near that anymore and it's just loving taco bell with whistles.

Austin getting somewhat decent food made a lot of y'all forget what actual good food is. I swear all of people around Austin recognize the food isn't the same trash it was 20 years ago, but it's still not a staple of the city; like it's literally some of the worst food imaginable everywhere you go.

Like loving give it a rest, Austin food scene sucks...has sucked...will always suck. If you want good food, it's San Antonio or Houston...unless you want bland white people "spicy" Korean food.

E: I don't think I'm in the right thread, but it's TX related so it stands

https://www.saltysow.com/

Only decent place in Austin, but it's still trendy AF (they don't have a "bar," they have a "recreational space that serves beverages and small plates"). Granted, I only eat there once a year or so when I'm forced to go to that shithole for work, but whatevs.

Serious question - who the gently caress really eats out regularly anymore? I can't justify spending $100 on a sit-down meal more than once every few months. Even Whataburger is over $30 for me, the WIFE, and our kiddo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
:_( I eat out regularly but yes things are pricy

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

IT BURNS posted:

https://www.saltysow.com/

Only decent place in Austin, but it's still trendy AF (they don't have a "bar," they have a "recreational space that serves beverages and small plates"). Granted, I only eat there once a year or so when I'm forced to go to that shithole for work, but whatevs.

Serious question - who the gently caress really eats out regularly anymore? I can't justify spending $100 on a sit-down meal more than once every few months. Even Whataburger is over $30 for me, the WIFE, and our kiddo.

I mean, if Austin wants to lean into the salty as their means, I can't hate it but still stand on the point that it's not great.

One good thing about Houston, we just spent like $50 on a meal for two people...mostly margs. Just sayin

Edit: For clarity, I lived in Austin for the last 20 years and just recently moved back to Houston

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
:bisonyes:

Seems like Dan Patrick is also taking his anger out on Abbott.

quote:

In a statement, Patrick said Abbott “seems misinformed about the roles of the executive and legislative branches of government.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/31/dan-patrick-greg-abbott-tension/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

man either greg or dan is going to take a massive L this summer and I don't actually know why abbott is picking this fight

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Pretend I posted the “let them fight” meme.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

poemdexter posted:

Pretend I posted the “let them fight” meme.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

i say swears online posted:

whataburger isn't ribeye

I forgot about that burger and retract my comment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

man either greg or dan is going to take a massive L this summer and I don't actually know why abbott is picking this fight

Yeah, we've never seen dan fold and abbott is an origami textbook

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1664087426908708864

This is literally what don huffines ran on and I think they're gonna find out that sales tax hikes aren't any more popular than property tax hikes (mostly he's lying of course)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it doesn't make any loving sense! it's not like he's writing red meat checks he'll never have to cash in the future; these are issues that will be sorted out in a matter of weeks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The answer is that Abbott came up in the era of Normal Business Republicanism and is faking being a MAGA meathead and his foe is utterly fluent in dipshit and arguably the most gifted politician the state has produced since LBJ. Like, sucks to admit, but if you're a movement conservative Dan Patrick is basically LeBron James.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

greatest of all texans

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LePass Priorities

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What is the timeframe of a Senate trial for Paxton, and any feel for the likelihood that the Senate would save his bacon?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

This is literally what don huffines ran on and I think they're gonna find out that sales tax hikes aren't any more popular than property tax hikes (mostly he's lying of course)

I think we should end property taxes and replace them with police taxes, where police just show up to your house and extort the gently caress out of you, and then give whatever they want to other social services. If you don't pay, they can legally murder you.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i disagree

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

By the time they push out a property tax relief plan homeowner’s insurance will basically have risen to keep your mortgage bill the same. State Farm stopped writing new policies in California a few days ago and with another massive hurricane I could see other companies following their lead and doing that in Texas

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DangerZoneDelux posted:

By the time they push out a property tax relief plan homeowner’s insurance will basically have risen to keep your mortgage bill the same. State Farm stopped writing new policies in California a few days ago and with another massive hurricane I could see other companies following their lead and doing that in Texas

I don't think it's as likely, simply because Texas is a huge market beyond the gulf coast. DFW/Austin/San Antonio are populous enough to keep insurance companies around, even if rates in certain zip codes skyrocket. If anyone is going to lose homeowner's insurance due to hurricanes, it's Florida (and they're already paying massively inflated rates there).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1664359417268035585

Swears when CPA drops bombs on the OAG like this do they do a pep rally with Hegar running through a paper agency logo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we get to swim through the gold vault like scrooge mcduck

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

My HI went up dramatically this year because of inflation/increased building and materials costs, or so the long-rear end "why we're raping you" letter from Sagesure says. That and property taxes already outstrip my mortgage. :getin:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1664359417268035585

Swears when CPA drops bombs on the OAG like this do they do a pep rally with Hegar running through a paper agency logo

Wait, Warren??? That explains everything! 🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LtGovTX/status/1664424756475490305

Good lord he keeps being correct what is happening

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

call me Stan Patrick

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/LtGovTX/status/1664424756475490305

Good lord he keeps being correct what is happening

https://twitter.com/Barbi__P/status/1664428834257510406

loving marry me right now, Barbi.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I thought back in 2019 or so they tried to up the sales tax in a bill and the LBB put out a fiscal note so vicious it was dropped.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Motherfucker it is june

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we need a retrospective, someone to tell us the lore

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Torchy's is fine.

:hmmyes:

Sounds like he doesnt want to do his job

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

I guess if they convince enough people that the dems are the ones raising taxes, and at least half the country believes this no matter what happens, then it could work.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is Texas experiencing like late stage GOPism where the party just eats itself because there's nothing left to consume?
I can't imagine the Democratic party doing this on a state level since it would rather shoot itself in the dick genitals long before it could get powerful enough to reach this point.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

Sounds like he doesnt want to do his job
well, he is a Ted Cruz protege after all. like metaphorical wretched rear end in a top hat father, like metaphorical large adult goateed son

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tadashi posted:

Is Texas experiencing like late stage GOPism where the party just eats itself because there's nothing left to consume?
I can't imagine the Democratic party doing this on a state level since it would rather shoot itself in the dick genitals long before it could get powerful enough to reach this point.

No serious politician thinks that the state can end property taxes, Patrick can say it because it's a Nixon to China situation.

They didn't? They failed to act? They didn't lessen impacts on communities of color?

Sometimes I wonder who the Tribune is writing for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

They didn't? They failed to act? They didn't lessen impacts on communities of color?

Sometimes I wonder who the Tribune is writing for.

lmao