Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Here is one that popped into my head the other day that I'm struggling to remember the name of.

Would have been around 1998, as from memory I played it around the same time that Unreal game out, and I was half way thru the game before I bought a Voodoo 2 card which helped improve the games graphics and load times.

Anyway, it was a 3rd person game, that had jump jets, and you were fighting against a bug type alien race on different levels, I guess similar to Starship Troopers style bugs. One of the weapons you got to use in your loadout was a Flechette type weapon.

There was one level where your space ship gets destroyed, and one of the next levels had a voice comms guy talking about "Remembering the Ulysses" or something like that.

I don't remember it being super popular, but I enjoyed it at the time.

Edit: And of course after a discussion with ChatGPT, it looks like I've found it.

It was called Outwars https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outwars

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Custard Undies posted:

Here is one that popped into my head the other day that I'm struggling to remember the name of.

Would have been around 1998, as from memory I played it around the same time that Unreal game out, and I was half way thru the game before I bought a Voodoo 2 card which helped improve the games graphics and load times.

Anyway, it was a 3rd person game, that had jump jets, and you were fighting against a bug type alien race on different levels, I guess similar to Starship Troopers style bugs. One of the weapons you got to use in your loadout was a Flechette type weapon.

There was one level where your space ship gets destroyed, and one of the next levels had a voice comms guy talking about "Remembering the Ulysses" or something like that.

I don't remember it being super popular, but I enjoyed it at the time.

Edit: And of course after a discussion with ChatGPT, it looks like I've found it.

It was called Outwars https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outwars

A goon who answered his own question, a shameful goon

*shakes head*

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Ngl, I'm kinda impressed that ChatGPT was able to figure out a game from the description.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Velocity Raptor posted:

Ngl, I'm kinda impressed that ChatGPT was able to figure out a game from the description.

It took a few attempts, it kept referring me FPS games, but I got there in the end.

...! posted:

A goon who answered his own question, a shameful goon

*shakes head*

Hahaha, sorry. :xd:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

JackBandit posted:

Goddamn those must have been some good drugs

quote:

Bjørnar's porigde recipie
=========================

1 person solid heavy oat prorigde
(not to used by people with heat yang syndromes)

Ingridients
===========

1/2 liter of fluid water
1 handful rolled oats (not whole)
0ne fingerclip of seasalt

Suplemtary ingrients
====================
Red kidney beans (For Kindey yin defency)
Wheat germ (For Kindey yin defency)

Honey (Spleen qi defency)
Cinemon (Spleen yang defency)
Ginger (Spleen yang defency)
Chiken ((Spleen qi defency)

Avacado (liver blood and yin defency)
Cucumber(liver blood and yin defency)

Mountain cabin butter (fattens the body)

Directions
==========

Fill a iron or heavy steel casarole with flowing cold water
put in a hand of rolled oats wisp with a wisper. Set on the
fire let it boil up then wisp continualy if not it burns then
start to add supplemtary ingreidents all but the "dead" ingridernts
in after 3min so they can collect heat from the stove. The alive
ingridients (Avocado Cucumber etc.) must be added after ended boiling
ca 7min.

Put on a massive plate and concentrate relax not watch tv
or think about wordly affairs newer eat with anger.

Signed
Bjørnar B. Porigdeman

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
newer eat with anger.

God gently caress it what have I been doing all this time.

drat it

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I don't watch TV while eating but I do watch Youtube videos, am I going to be ok? :ohdear:

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I've posted this before and didn't get anything, but maybe this time

Around 2004 I was at a friend's house and four of us played a game that had an overhead isometric camera angle. It was single-screen multiplayer, you shot guns at each other, and graphics were realistic rather than cartoony. On the stage we played there was a staircase to an upper walkway with a switch or button that electrified the bottom floor. For some reason I've thought it was a James Bond game, but nothing I've found has this. I also thought it was PS2, but I must be wrong about that since there were definitely four of us playing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Syndicate Wars?

The PS2 did have multitap for up to four players, but 007: Nightfire doesn't match for the camera.

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 30, 2023

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Andorra posted:

I've posted this before and didn't get anything, but maybe this time

Around 2004 I was at a friend's house and four of us played a game that had an overhead isometric camera angle. It was single-screen multiplayer, you shot guns at each other, and graphics were realistic rather than cartoony. On the stage we played there was a staircase to an upper walkway with a switch or button that electrified the bottom floor. For some reason I've thought it was a James Bond game, but nothing I've found has this. I also thought it was PS2, but I must be wrong about that since there were definitely four of us playing.

007 Everything or Nothing did have an unlockable "arena" multiplayer mode that sounds similar to what you're describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChDx823I0s8

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

homewrecker posted:

007 Everything or Nothing did have an unlockable "arena" multiplayer mode that sounds similar to what you're describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChDx823I0s8

That's absolutely it. Thank you!

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I know absolutely gently caress all about mac games, and this isn't pinging as a pc game for me, so let's see if you guys can find what my friend is looking for:

quote:

I saw someone playing it on one of those macs with the clear plastic so I didn't see much
this was when I was in primary school, so the latter half of the 90s, but I feel it was like, 1996 or 1997ish most likely
3D platformer, from behind 3rd person. featuring an Alien with a gun for an arm
they collected big floating fruits to restore health (I think. may have been points as I don't remember any enemies)
the environments I saw had a light blue and grey ish theme to them

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

My first instinct is MDK, possibly mixed up a bit with Oni?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
MDK got a response of "too grimdark". Oni got a no, color scheme way too dark.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

fuckin

Earthworm Jim 3D (1999)? not even mac i don't think

I was actively gaming on Macs at that time and MDK (1997) and Oni (2001 so maybe not but still clear plastic era) are the only games from that time that could possibly match in my memory, maybe your friend just briefly saw a scene that was an outlier.

Abuse (1995) is probably way more fun than the phantom memory game was anyway.

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 1, 2023

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Pogonodon posted:

I know absolutely gently caress all about mac games, and this isn't pinging as a pc game for me, so let's see if you guys can find what my friend is looking for:

Nanosaur was one of those bundle games but it only vaguely fits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvmByXPbF2I

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MDK is the opposite of grimdark, it's (purposefully) goofy as hell and the sequel even more so

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

MDK is the opposite of grimdark, it's (purposefully) goofy as hell and the sequel even more so

it definitely has a dark aesthetic though (to make fun of it by juxtaposing absurdity)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Pogonodon posted:

Sounds like it could have been Otto Matic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZNWsTnK-HY

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 1, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

idk if it got a Mac release but "colorful alien with gun for an arm" sounds like Evolva.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
MDK does have some variety to its environments, so it's possible they're remembering a level or part of a level that was brighter. There weren't a lot of games for the Mac back then, let alone 3D ones with a character with a gun for an arm.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dammit I just thought of something. Indie game, early 2010s era I was definitely playing it in 2013. PC, first person squad/tactics shooter like Rainbow Six. You're a squad of mercenaries in a vaguely Soviet era world. You experience the world in second person meaning you, the player, are an avatar that is controlling the squad individually. You have to establish antennas to extend your visual communication and simultaneously play 3-4 characters at once using an obtuse visual interface. Each of the mercenaries has a Team Fortress style class so there's the soldier, the radio man, the sniper, etc.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

al-azad posted:

Dammit I just thought of something. Indie game, early 2010s era I was definitely playing it in 2013. PC, first person squad/tactics shooter like Rainbow Six. You're a squad of mercenaries in a vaguely Soviet era world. You experience the world in second person meaning you, the player, are an avatar that is controlling the squad individually. You have to establish antennas to extend your visual communication and simultaneously play 3-4 characters at once using an obtuse visual interface. Each of the mercenaries has a Team Fortress style class so there's the soldier, the radio man, the sniper, etc.

Probably Signal Ops. It's been sitting on my wishlist for probably a decade now (or however long the wishlist feature has existed) but I never got around to trying it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yep that's the one. I barely managed to finish the first level it's frustratingly obtuse but a fun challenge to overcome.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I was hoping it was Otto Matic but they said no. Nothing else is pinging a memory either, starting to suspect the memories getting mushed together or warped by time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pogonodon posted:

It was absolutely MDK or MDK2. It's goofy and weird with characters like a mad scientist and a cigar smoking six-legged dog, not at all grimdark. The health powerups are apples and meat. It's third-person and your character has a gun that covers his whole arm and a bionic suit with a weird helmet that makes him look like an alien. It is one of very very few 3D third-person shooter games that were available on the Mac in that era. Your friend is probably just remembering bits of it wrong (e.g. why would he have a gun arm if there were no enemies?)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 1, 2023

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

A platformer game for the Super Famicom. You control a little red ninja and kill all sorts of monsters from Japanese folklore. The thing I remember the most is being walled by a giant Daruma doll boss because I couldn't figure out how to hurt it. I think it jumped around the screen trying to crush you while your attacks just bounce off.
Maybe if I tried playing it again I could finally get my satisfaction...

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Maybe Ninja-kun? It was released in the UK as Ninja.
There was also Ninja JaJaMaru-kun, released as Ninja II in the UK.

edit: Maybe the sequel to Ninja-kun, Ninja-kun: Ashura no Shou, released in the US as Rad Action.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 2, 2023

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Pogonodon posted:

Maybe Ninja-kun? It was released in the UK as Ninja.
There was also Ninja JaJaMaru-kun, released as Ninja II in the UK.

edit: Maybe the sequel to Ninja-kun, Ninja-kun: Ashura no Shou, released in the US as Rad Action.

It was neither of these but that last link got me in the right track: it was Super Ninja-kun (Excellent name)
Now to see if I can defeat that Daruma motherfucker

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
2000 - 2010 indie art game where you play one of five or six variations on Little Red Riding Hood, each of whom is a different age. You can either deliver the goodies to grandma and get a pretty underwhelming ending, or you can stray from the path and explore the woods, and maybe encounter the wolf, which was a thinly veiled metaphor for various traumas that occur to children.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

2000 - 2010 indie art game where you play one of five or six variations on Little Red Riding Hood, each of whom is a different age. You can either deliver the goodies to grandma and get a pretty underwhelming ending, or you can stray from the path and explore the woods, and maybe encounter the wolf, which was a thinly veiled metaphor for various traumas that occur to children.

The Path

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A game for, I think, the Xbox, that was a third-person game where you ran around different more-or-less realistically scaled environments as a human male. It was Let's Played on these forums at one point. The main thing I remember was that it had comically huge hamburgers which your character could eat. Like, they were bigger than the protagonist's head. I think the protag would hold them in one hand and animate moving them up to his mouth and then they'd disappear.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A game for, I think, the Xbox, that was a third-person game where you ran around different more-or-less realistically scaled environments as a human male. It was Let's Played on these forums at one point. The main thing I remember was that it had comically huge hamburgers which your character could eat. Like, they were bigger than the protagonist's head. I think the protag would hold them in one hand and animate moving them up to his mouth and then they'd disappear.

Disaster: Day of Crisis? It was for the Wii, but comedically huge hamburgers were in it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Archenteron posted:

Disaster: Day of Crisis? It was for the Wii, but comedically huge hamburgers were in it.

Yeah, that looks right, thank you!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

can someone help with this? trying to help an aspiring game dev friend with time based adventure games examples - recommended the last express but there's another one that i remember but can't name and my google not strong enough

here's what i remember :
first person pov
you're in a ship or maybe a building? and your crew had uniforms that i believe are blue
conversations happen in real time while the crew does their own stuff and if something happens and you're not there, too bad
maybe a desert or similarly barren setting that can be seen out of the windows?
starts with the letter c i think?

that's all i remember - played it maybe a decade ago but it was quite jank and i never finished it

Artelier fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 11, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Consortium baybee that game rips

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Danaru posted:

Consortium baybee that game rips

yesss that's it thank you!! also my friend says it's a great reference

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Old PC game from perhaps the early 90s. A first person horror game that takes place on a large ship that's, I think, being taken over by bugs, or maybe the AI is just going haywire or something. I think you see your face somewhere on the bottom of the screen, getting more skeletonized as you took damage. Additionally there was a timer as the ship's life support systems failed (which is why I never wanted to play it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Morpheus posted:

Old PC game from perhaps the early 90s. A first person horror game that takes place on a large ship that's, I think, being taken over by bugs, or maybe the AI is just going haywire or something. I think you see your face somewhere on the bottom of the screen, getting more skeletonized as you took damage. Additionally there was a timer as the ship's life support systems failed (which is why I never wanted to play it).

It could totally be something else (since you mention the PC's face) but this otherwise sounds a lot like the original System Shock which: 1. Was a first person game with loose horror elements from the early 90's (1994), 2. Took place on a ship being overrun with mutants AND haywire AI, and 3. Had a timer on the highest difficulty that caused an automatic game over if lapsed.