Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Didn't know we had Dyson spheres in Trek. Or is it just the one and which star or stars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's one episode of TNG where they randomly come across one that's implied to be thousands of years old and built by super-advanced peope, and never mention it again. I also love how the series uses Rom's vocalisations, like when his girlfriend's about to leave with the doctor and she's just like "Is it just me or can you hear that too?" and in the background you just hear "aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" as rom gets closer and closer trying to stop them so that he can declare his love.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 31, 2023

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

There's one episode of TNG where they randomly come across one that's implied to be thousands of years old and built by super-advanced peope, and never mention it again. I also love how the series uses Rom's vocalisations, like when his girlfriend's about to leave with the doctor and she's just like "Is it just me or can you hear that too?" and in the background you just here "aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" as rom gets closer and closer trying to stop them so that he can declare his love.

The Dyson Sphere makes a comeback in STO, which has picked up nearly every loose end from the TNG-era and ran with it until they started having to poo poo-up the plot with Disco.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
A civilization built a Dyson Sphere around an unstable star so they had to abandon it and I would love to know the details on that engineering disaster because yikes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You'd think a discovery that big would be mentioned again. For one if it's still habitable than they really shouldn't have any issue finding space for refugees like ever again.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Like there’s no way there weren’t lots of red flags through the entire process, right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trixie Hardcore posted:

A civilization built a Dyson Sphere around an unstable star so they had to abandon it and I would love to know the details on that engineering disaster because yikes.

:techno: it became unstable due to subspace or some poo poo, which also turned the dyson sphere inhabitants into subspace horrors. It was an iconian plot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Three ringworlds? Now you’re just screwing around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They saw a star and someone started muttering "no ring" over and over.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khanstant posted:

Didn't know we had Dyson spheres in Trek. Or is it just the one and which star or stars?

In the shows, just the one seen in TNG Relics.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dr_rat posted:

You'd think a discovery that big would be mentioned again. For one if it's still habitable than they really shouldn't have any issue finding space for refugees like ever again.

Has that really been a problem on Star Trek? The one time I recall that being an issue was with the people in DS9 who really really wanted to settle on Bajor, even though there were multiple other inhabitable planets with plenty of room and resources for them.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
There are so many planets and they can terraform more, there are probably planets with just like one guy on them. Gravesworld only had two people on it. If you're patient you could get one special ordered I bet.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The Federation being a post-scarcity society where there are a lot of habitable worlds is a big part of why I don't think the Marquis work for everyone. Even in the first Marquis episode the Federation is like "we've got three planets that are similar to this one we can move you to and if those don't work we have a lot of options" and the impasse is that the specific planet the colonists are living on is spiritually important to them and I don't know if they ever make it clear why the other colonies that joined the Marquis weren't interested in relocating to planets in Federation territory but if you don't buy into the idea that one group of colonists spiritual beliefs are reason enough to restart the war between the Federation and Cardassia then the Marquis come across as kinda unreasonable.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If Eddington were alive today he would park his Maquis Raider in the middle of the road in Ottawa and start blaming Trudeau for the lockdowns

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also loving disney managed to exactly replicate a guy's homestead, including the house, exact river bend and old tree, just to get thr land for disney world

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Also loving disney managed to exactly replicate a guy's homestead, including the house, exact river bend and old tree, just to get thr land for disney world

Have any more info on this? Sounds like an interesting read.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Have any more info on this? Sounds like an interesting read.

I'll see if I can dig it up but I heard about it like 10ish years ago and google has gotten shittier over time. It might have been the original disneyland, even

What I recall is that they very much wanted a small parcel of land, and the person living on it very much liked his small little home how it was, especially the old tree and riverbend just outside his window. He wouldn't budge even for a large amount of money, and Walt decided that upping the price wouldn't work. So he roped in a few of his workers and had them try an alternate approach. They found a riverbend that matched well enough, with an old tree in just the right location, and built a copy of the guy's house, and did some landscaping to patch up the finer details. This was, apparently, enough to convince him to sell.

They had a similar person they also had to convince during disney world construction, who eventually sold after Walt Disney pulled some strings and got his football hero Paul William "Bear" Bryant to come down and talk to him personally, but I'm having trouble finding info on that too.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something that always annoys me about messy roommate stories is when the roommate is unrealistically messy, like when Jake and Nog first move in together- at one point Nog goes to do his starfleet stuff and Jake is left alone in the room to write, and when he gets back 9 hours later there are clothes everywhere. How the hell did that happen? Jake was on the couch writing all day, he didn't even change his clothes since Nog left. Also somehow his pants found a way into the replicator, he could only have done that on purpose to annoy Nog, which is why I feel that the irony of their relationship is at first Nog seeming to be a bad influence on Jake, but it turning out that Jake is the toxic one.

Maybe he meant to have the replicator deconstruct the pants because if you could just replicate a new set of custom designed clothes every day why wouldn't you?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Wasn’t the colorist for TAS colorblind lmao

Someone in the process was, don't remember the details anymore. That's why there is so much pink and purple in places that should be light or dark brown or gray.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I could definitely see a bored teenager, living on his own for the first time, just getting high and standing at the replicator making pants for 30 minutes. Boredom does weird poo poo to people.

Also, Jake was an aspiring writer at that time. When I'm writing and I hit a wall, I could definitely see myself loving around with a replicator for no reason. Think of it like the 24th century's answer to scrolling through social media.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ds9 season 8: jake gets bored and starts replicating clothes and claiming he found them in old boxes garak left behind to sell them, hoping to find an idea that gets him out of his writing slump in the process. then garak returns to the station to sort poo poo out as only he can, as do his weird political enemies in the modern cardassian political system

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

I could definitely see a bored teenager, living on his own for the first time, just getting high and standing at the replicator making pants for 30 minutes. Boredom does weird poo poo to people.

Also, Jake was an aspiring writer at that time. When I'm writing and I hit a wall, I could definitely see myself loving around with a replicator for no reason. Think of it like the 24th century's answer to scrolling through social media.

"Hmm... I really think nailing this character's dress sense will pull the whole thing together and get ne over this hump... Computer, replicate late 22nd century pants in a variety of styles appropriate for urban wear."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The Federation being a post-scarcity society where there are a lot of habitable worlds is a big part of why I don't think the Marquis work for everyone. Even in the first Marquis episode the Federation is like "we've got three planets that are similar to this one we can move you to and if those don't work we have a lot of options" and the impasse is that the specific planet the colonists are living on is spiritually important to them and I don't know if they ever make it clear why the other colonies that joined the Marquis weren't interested in relocating to planets in Federation territory but if you don't buy into the idea that one group of colonists spiritual beliefs are reason enough to restart the war between the Federation and Cardassia then the Marquis come across as kinda unreasonable.

I didn't get the sense it was spiritual, Calvin was the voice of the Maquis in their first major appearance and he appeared to be doing it out of sheer cussedness and gently caress the Cardassians

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gaz-L posted:

"Hmm... I really think nailing this character's dress sense will pull the whole thing together and get ne over this hump... Computer, replicate late 22nd century pants in a variety of styles appropriate for urban wear."

Jake Sisko holding up old clothes and laughing at the garish patterns in a moment of extreme un-self-awareness

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Jake Sisko researching bus seats from the 20th Century and looking confused as it spits out a swatch with the same pattern he's wearing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty much every non-military fashion from 90s trek is an appalling disaster.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

I didn't get the sense it was spiritual, Calvin was the voice of the Maquis in their first major appearance and he appeared to be doing it out of sheer cussedness and gently caress the Cardassians

It’s the TNG episode with the Indians. Idk if I’d call it the first Maquis episode since the name is never used and the organization probably hasn’t yet arisen, but it’s definitely intended to lay the groundwork for DS9’s “The Maquis” (which aired like a month later). One of Calvin’s henchmen is an Indian dude

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
And they were already planning Voyager at that point. I don't think it's ever stated that Chakotay's from that planet, but there was a consistent theme of Maquis=American Indian.

Which is kind of ironic since they seem to be closer to settler colonists than they are to colonized peoples.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Jake Sisko researching bus seats from the 20th Century and looking confused as it spits out a swatch with the same pattern he's wearing.

This reminds me that I badly want a blazer with a 90s movie theater carpet pattern

I've got a funeral coming up and need something new to wear

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Angry Salami posted:

And they were already planning Voyager at that point. I don't think it's ever stated that Chakotay's from that planet, but there was a consistent theme of Maquis=American Indian.

I am sure I've read they intended Chakotay to be from that planet but it just never made it explicitly into the show. They did mention he was from a colony near the Cardassian border.

"The producers of Star Trek: Voyager originally intended Dorvan V to be Chakotay's homeworld. (Star Trek Monthly issue 4, p. 55) Although this idea was not established during Voyager's run, the Voyager relaunch novels state that Chakotay and his family were native to Dorvan V. However, "Tattoo" established Chakotay's colony to have been established centuries ago, which does not appear to be consistent with "Journey's End", which stated that the settlers had been on Dorvan for about twenty years. Even though Picard's statement "Dorvan Five? Isn't that where the group of North American Indians settled?" to some degree implies that Dorvan is unique, Chakotay would seem to originate from a second planet of American Indians in the DMZ."

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 1, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think if they had focused on the Maquis as Federation citizens who were so dissatisfied with the war and couldn't find a place for themselves after what happened it would of worked better for what they were going for. The whole we deserve to lives on these colonies because we're Americans in the Federation reeks of privilege and colonizer mindset. Also the return to the land poo poo that Eddington adds makes it worse.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
rolling into season 6 of ds9 and easily by this point ds9 has had 3x as much combat as all previous trek combined

"in the cards" which is late season 5 is pretty drat good for filler/feel good/relief- especially for a jake/nog centric episode

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Wasn't Chakotay also supposed to have been Ro's teacher at Starfleet Academy and either his defecting to the Maquis inspired her to jump ship, or vice-versa?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chakotay should have been from the Kirok planet with no explanation how or why

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Voyager Minus Chakotay: the episodes are the same but Beltran and his lines are just missing

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

V-Men posted:

Maybe he meant to have the replicator deconstruct the pants because if you could just replicate a new set of custom designed clothes every day why wouldn't you?

The whole station would've shut down trying to comprehend the patterns and colors, like that puzzle virus the TNG crew meant to put into Hugh.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Voyager Minus Chakotay: the episodes are the same but Beltran and his lines are just missing

Me, partway through a season 6 episode: ...wait, is something different?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

davidspackage posted:

The whole station would've shut down trying to comprehend the patterns and colors, like that puzzle virus the TNG crew meant to put into Hugh.

Computer, make an outfit capable of disgusting Jake Sisko

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Computer, make an outfit capable of disgusting Jake Sisko

Easy, the replicator materializes an Angel One outfit for Quark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007