Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
The only real reactions the audience had for my theater were them laughing at Ichiro asking if Hongo was sleeping with Ruriko, and Hongo's completely spontaneous backflip while talking to Taki and Tachibana.

Loved the movie. I can't rant about it further, I've talked about it too extensively all night. I want Kamen no Sekai badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The movie is absolutely chocked to the brim with toku references both historical and fictional, I do see how someone who isn't fully plugged into toku could feel lost but frankly that was always going to be the case - for better or worse, Rider never quite permeated the global scene the way Godzilla or Ultraman did.

I think my favorite cheeky nod was the scene in which Hayato breaks free of his brainwashing and becomes an ally to the cause against Shocker, Hongo spends the entirety of it with both of his legs broken.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think I'd also say the film was Mid. overall had the same pacing problems from Ultraman by virtue of trying to cram so much into a limited run-time. Not as bad but they could have cut out a couple of the Augs. My biggest complaint however is The multiple fights in the dark towards the end. Mixing low visibility with the more chaotic camera cuts recreated from the 70s television series is a recipe for confusion. I didn't have a problem with the earlier fights save how easy it was to ultimately defeat the Augs. That and the motorcycle explosions or Butterfly's particle effects and I'd wished someone had opened a skylight or something.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What’s wild is that apparently the Shocker Rider fight apparently was actually shot and filmed in an outdoor industrial setting the first go-around and they scrapped almost all of it to redo it in the pitch-black tunnel instead.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What’s wild is that apparently the Shocker Rider fight apparently was actually shot and filmed in an outdoor industrial setting the first go-around and they scrapped almost all of it to redo it in the pitch-black tunnel instead.

I hope they put it on the Blu-ray.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

think I only saw it getting shared as a .webm but there's a production clip of the scene in, iirc, the official production documentary

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Overall thought it was really good, do agree that Bat and Scorpion felt kind of pointless though

Wouldn't be against a sequel but probably would be more interested in Anno covering another series on his list of influences first

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pacing was not great until Wasp Aug showed up, but that's really one of Anno's problems in ways.

I really loved this movie though, warts and all. Of all the Shin movies, this one feels like the most pure vision of Anno's. I really liked the mix of the manga and show, and the acting was great but Sosuke Ikematsu as Hongo was FANTASTIC.

Yeah I would love a sequel, which is the exact opposite on how I feel about Shin Ultraman and Shin Godzilla. This is the one story that needs to continue.

I'm stoked, I saw it with a lot of friends, and the audience was overall having a great time, with laughs, 'hell yeah's and it was obvious that a LOT of the crowd were big KR fans overall. I am going to buy the hell out of the UHD as soon as it's up for pre-order on Amazon Japan.

edit: Dear Anno- please make Shin Go Ranger

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 1, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I really loved this movie though, warts and all. Of all the Shin movies, this one feels like the most pure vision of Anno's. I really liked the mix of the manga and show, and the acting was great but Sosuke Ikematsu as Hongo was FANTASTIC.

This was the only one of the Shins Anno made without Higuchi and you can kinda tell in the style.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

This was the only one of the Shins Anno made without Higuchi and you can kinda tell in the style.

Absolutely. I really want to watch it again asap but I know it'll be a long time before the disk. Hopefully it'll stream on Amazon Prime Video in Japan by the late summer so I can VPN stream it.

Also i want that soundtrack.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I really want to watch it in a format where I can pause and really take in the shot composition, there was a lot of real good shots.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

had a great time seeing it. it definitely does hit some of the plot bits a little more faithfully than maybe it should, but the dedication it does it with was endearing enough for it to work for me

everything with kamakiri chameleon got the biggest laughs out of the audience

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Shin Kamen Rider was a pretty fun movie overall! I quite like it, warts and all.

Except (spoiler I talk about the final fight a little bit) that last fight really needed better lighting. Trying to do a ground and pound fight while also entirely just in the dark and the two combatants aren't quite sure what a knock down drag out on the ground looks like kind of just didn't work well imo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

studio mujahideen posted:

everything with kamakiri chameleon got the biggest laughs out of the audience

His suit is so loving 70s, its great. Dude could have walked right off the set of the original show.

https://twitter.com/orphnochs/status/1664093738396704769?s=46&t=Eph69498B1QxDhhh3gTqIg

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 1, 2023

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think the lighting problems in SKR might be down to the fantom events projectors being a bit poo poo in a lot of theaters. Maybe it'll look better on a good tv?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fathom Events doesn't have....their own projectors that they bring into the theaters.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They use a different projector to the normal movie one, like the same they use for moovie or whatever Lol.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just saw Shin Kamen Rider after knowing next to nothing about Kamen Rider. I knew: 1) he's a bug cyborg fighting against evil organization of bug cyborgs and 2) he ride motorcycle. I fuckin' loved it. Pacing was absolute batshit insanity but I was all for it. I could tell there were an absurd number of references completely lost on me, but who cares it was awesome.

Most of all it made me just want to immediately go watch more Kamen Rider, which I mean hey it's not like there's a lack of content. Where's a good place to start, just jump into the original series?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kuuga's never a bad place to start.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gonna go see it again on Monday :c00l:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kuuga's never a bad place to start.

Seconding Kuuga as a starting point.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Kabuto was my first kamen rider

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Gonna go see it again on Monday :c00l:
I wanted to but Fathom seemed to only book the nearby theaters in my state for just yesterday, which is really upsetting because I keep listening to Iwasaki's remix of Let's Go Rider Kick thinking of the scenes it was used in and I wanna see it all again.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Trogglodyte posted:

I wanted to but Fathom seemed to only book the nearby theaters in my state for just yesterday, which is really upsetting because I keep listening to Iwasaki's remix of Let's Go Rider Kick thinking of the scenes it was used in and I wanna see it all again.

I got my original tickets via AMC's site and now they are showing no more showings, but Fathom site is selling the new tickets. Just in case you are running into the same situation (probably not but just thought I would mention it).

gently caress I am still digesting this film. A second viewing ought to help.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I got my original tickets via AMC's site and now they are showing no more showings, but Fathom site is selling the new tickets. Just in case you are running into the same situation (probably not but just thought I would mention it).

gently caress I am still digesting this film. A second viewing ought to help.

My state does not have AMC theaters, unfortunately. A couple local theaters got it probably by sheer luck and their deal was just for the 31st release. Fathom itself just lists nothing for them unfortunately. Oh well - I got to see it the first time and I'll definitely be grabbing the physical releases.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GateOfD posted:

how were the audience reactions?

my theater had tons of laughs, but also there were like 3-4 people outrageously laughing at the more sincere and heartfelt parts or shortly after. It was such a weird vibe, and it was completely taking me out. I want to see it again on Monday at a different theater around here and see how that goes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The REAL Goobusters posted:

my theater had tons of laughs, but also there were like 3-4 people outrageously laughing at the more sincere and heartfelt parts or shortly after. It was such a weird vibe, and it was completely taking me out. I want to see it again on Monday at a different theater around here and see how that goes.

Yeah there was a group of 3 dudes in the back of my theater who were laughing / talking through almost every scene. It was loving baffling, why go to a movie if you're going to talk through the ENTIRE thing??

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah there was a group of 3 dudes in the back of my theater who were laughing / talking through almost every scene. It was loving baffling, why go to a movie if you're going to talk through the ENTIRE thing??

Seriously. Like at first I was like ok whatever, I'll just be chill. But it was for literally EVERY SINGLE even tiny humorous thing. Like just loving dying of loud laughter cuz like I don't know as they moved the scene transitions were really like fast or whatever. It really felt like I was there with a bunch of grown up anime/kamen rider weebs (everyone seemed to be in their 20s or 30s in my showing) popping off for everything. It actually reminded me of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/c3u5ph/context_on_why_khara_decided_to_closely_supervise/

When they showed off Shin Eva 3.0 at a convention back in 2013 and the crowd reaction not taking the movie seriously. Insane stuff.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Most of all it made me just want to immediately go watch more Kamen Rider, which I mean hey it's not like there's a lack of content. Where's a good place to start, just jump into the original series?

As someone who has had to recommend rider to people a shitton of times before, there's really 4 "starting points", pick your poison:

First Rider/Kamen Rider 1971: If you're looking for more about Hongo and Hayato's deal, this is where you want to be. Delving into this will give you a better appreciation for the film because huge swaths of SKR are basically taken straight from the original show with a modern spin or polish being put on them. The main con here is, well, it's old - you go in expecting the effects to be pretty shoestring, the plots to be kind of ridiculous and nonsensical, and for stuff to mostly change on the whims of when actors are and aren't available.

Kamen Rider Kuuga (2000): The last rider Shotaro Ishinomori personally signed off on, Kuuga is considered the start of the Heisei Era Kamen Rider (which isn't technically true, but no one really counts the 90s movies.) Kuuga is a more 'modern' serious rider, and a reintroduction of Rider to TV-watching audiences, so it's fairly simple to engage in. The main cons I can think of is that I don't know which sub group you want for Kuuga (did it get an official release that was worth a poo poo? There was a lot of crummy releases so I can't remember), and Kuuga is also, despite reintroducing Rider, crucially so unlike any Rider before or after it, so it might give you some strange expectations.

Kamen Rider W/Double (2009): This is the start of the 'Neo-Heisei' or 'Heisei Phase 2' Kamen Riders, Double was a return-to-basics reboot after the Crisis On Infinite Earths-alike that was the previous Rider (KR Decade), and as such it's a good fresh start for getting into both a lot of the vibes of Rider, especially more modern Rider, and getting to engage in a very solid character-driven drama. The main con is that they commit to a two-episodes-for-every-arc format that can really strain in places, and more than like any other Rider that came before or after the movies are really non-negotiable additions to the plot.

Kamen Rider Build (2017): The penultimate Heisei Era Rider, Kamen Rider Build is, at least in my opinion, peak Rider. It wears a lot of Showa's trappings while weaving a very complex story that burns a mile a minute - if you like SKR's pace, Build is like 40 episodes of that. As the latest on the timeline of the four shown here Build is the Rider with the most 'gimmicks' but it manages to balance them alongside an actually very serious and engaging plot about political machinations and civil war. How much you like a more 'this is clearly designed to sell toys' oriented Rider might be up to personal taste, and the last stretch of episodes were hastily tagged on when executives needed additional time to prep for the next series, so it kind of spins its wheels near the end - though I would say it still sticks the landing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The official Shout Factory release for Kuuga is excellent.

The other thing I'd put in Build's favor as a starting point is that the sense of humor and character writing in Build is probably the most, like, intuitive in terms of closer resembling western sitcom/dramedy writing. There's gonna be less tonal and artistic culture shock than some of the wild-take manzai influence in W's comedy.

But W was where I started and I loved it.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 1, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I started with OOO and loved it so I argue that OOO is the best starting point.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Den-O might be another good starting point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Leraika posted:

Did that show ever get subbed by someone other than TVN?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Larryb posted:

Did that show ever get subbed by someone other than TVN?

idk, I don't follow sub groups

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Leraika posted:

All Kamen Rider fans should enjoy the quickly dawning realization that the answer to the question posed by the OP, "when will they go this episode?" is always answered by not so far that they'd need different sets and costumes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I started with Wizard. I'm not saying it's a good series to start with or anything, I'm just putting that out there.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Started on Ex-Aid, do not regret it

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Leraika posted:

I think Den-O is good but I'd disagree it's a good universal starting point - for one, the comedy in Den-O I'd argue is very, very heavy on Japanese sensibilities, and how much you'll vibe with that on initial blush is gonna be really variable. For the other I think going from Shin Kamen Rider's breakneck pace to Den-O's being a bit more slow-burn (if we're being generous) might cause some whiplash.

e: Like, ultimately the question is going to boil down to "What do you like to watch? There's probably a rider that hits those genre sensibilities, start with that one", but for someone dipping their toes fresh into the Franchise I think there's like 5 easy series to start with (I forgot to put Kamen Rider Black on my list, I'd argue that's also a good starter series if you're leaning more toward Showa Rider sensibilities)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

I started with Wizard. I'm not saying it's a good series to start with or anything, I'm just putting that out there.

Wizard has good suits, good music, great fight choreography, and some great characters. It's not a TERRIBLE place to start, just not a great place to start.

I still kinda want that belt and axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Deleter posted:

Started on Ex-Aid, do not regret it

Same.
Ex-Aid into Build hooked me.
Watched Fourze, W, most of 000's by the time Zi-O came out.