Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah without getting too much into it, I think it’s pretty unlikely to be a “company evaporates overnight” situation but even prior to today I wasn’t really seeing a path forward better than “acquired for parts”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Outlook mobile updated and replaced the location of the Calendar with an Apps menu and I am so loving mad about this. My muscle memory is ruined.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

TraderStav posted:

Outlook mobile updated and replaced the location of the Calendar with an Apps menu and I am so loving mad about this. My muscle memory is ruined.

Right? Quit screwing around with things

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"We need to escalate this higher inside IT!" guys, you can stamp your feet as much as you like but nobody is going to rush a corp wide group policy change into production just because this piece of poo poo project has a dependency on it that you only know about because IT figured it out for you.

These roving groups of PMs that know nothing about either the business or the technical side are such a goddamn joke.

17 working days left until I leave though :yayclod:

TraderStav posted:

I wish I could set the goddamn calendar to always show the month view instead of flipping to "today" all the time. Or at least make the button easier to get to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TraderStav posted:

Also what the gently caress is a “Feed” for

Oh wow someone modified a sharepoint file holy poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TraderStav posted:

Yeah gently caress that noise

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

priznat posted:

I read this as being uttered in absolute horror rather than cynicism

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"We need to escalate this higher inside IT!" guys, you can stamp your feet as much as you like but nobody is going to rush a corp wide group policy change into production just because this piece of poo poo project has a dependency on it that you only know about because IT figured it out for you.

These roving groups of PMs that know nothing about either the business or the technical side are such a goddamn joke.

17 working days left until I leave though :yayclod:

I wish I could set the goddamn calendar to always show the month view instead of flipping to "today" all the time. Or at least make the button easier to get to.

Bonus: "why were we not told when this was not getting deployed last weekend like we were told two weeks ago?" Because I was on holiday until yesterday? Maybe because of that?

Just before I left they got in a huff because I told them to go raise their own support tickets instead of sending me mails saying "PTH please can you sort out these installations asap this is holding us up" and they immediately emailed my manager whose extremely high patience threshold must be getting sorely tested by this poo poo by now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I read this as being uttered in absolute horror rather than cynicism

Why not both!!

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I’m being a whiney first world bitch, but it sucks being mid career and not knowing exactly what I want to do next.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Tnuctip posted:

I’m being a whiney first world bitch, but it sucks being mid career and not knowing exactly what I want to do next.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1103305252437217280

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

A random guy from another city modified his cv. This is relevant to me somehow.

I hate this change.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Lol the best part is I’ve been unemployed since February. Well for a square job anyway

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Tnuctip posted:

Big same. I don’t have connections to make SM or higher anywhere so I’m staying the traditional course I guess.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This is the luxury of being post-burnout. I don't give a poo poo about massive career progression anymore. I did my time, worked extra extra hard, and was rewarded with some company scrip and an anxiety disorder. I was never going to be anointed because of my background, which took me far too long to realize. My objectives consist of maximizing the amount of money I can squeeze out of my employer in exchange for the absolute minimum amount of stress that comes with it. I'm formulating a long term plan to leave the corporate world entirely in 7-8 years when my war chest is sufficient. I don't give a single gently caress about the company, my coworkers, or what we do or do not accomplish on a personal level. It's pretty great (now).

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Truly the hero we need in our times.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Our Vacaville site is officially toast. Time to see how many get laid off :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

priznat posted:

Remember, this is the same company that made a chat client that lets people react to your messages, but then gives you a specific notification that they reacted, and it's harder to clear that notification than if they just replied.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Remember, this is the same company that made a chat client that lets people react to your messages, but then gives you a specific notification that they reacted, and it's harder to clear that notification than if they just replied.

God I loving hate that, huurrrrgh

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Tnuctip posted:

As a mid-career idiot, let me extend a helping hand:

"Get paid"

hth

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Jordan7hm posted:

A random guy from another city modified his cv. This is relevant to me somehow.

I hate this change.

I'm still trying to figure out how to configure a Mail Rule that sends anything from "Notifications@Yammer.com" directly to the dumpster, but for some reason Outlook seems to insist on not reading the "Notifications@Yammer.com" part and instead is fixated on the Intern du Jour that sent the message that day.

. . . now that I type that all out, I suppose I could just create a rule that searches the To, From, Subject, Body, and Secret CIA Metatext for "yammer" and sends them all screaming straight to Hell.

I'd worry that I would end up missing a critical email from some customer/vendor/salesperson that had the word "yammer" in it randomly but maybe that's a professional risk I should take?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

priznat posted:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Red flags chat reminds me of the time a guy came through my wife's office to inventory their furniture and equipment for their creditors. They had already been late with a paycheck (which is basically unheard of in Switzerland) but somebody coming round to price the chairs and phones was really something. They survived (after she left) by keeping the HQ in Switzerland, moving the admin to Germany and outsourcing all the coding to Ukraine while still charging Swiss prices.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

~Coxy posted:

priznat posted:

I am so relieved that I am not the only one. Its infuriating because sometimes it takes multiple clicks back-and-forth to get the danged thing to recognize that I'm trying to dismiss the notification that someone thumbs-upped my comment in team chat from last week.

Another thing I find really annoying but not quite as bad as that is that every meeting -even if no one used meeting chat- gets its own entry in my chat history. I dont want that clogging up my chat history, there are people there (that dont fit in the arbitrary limit for how many people I can fit in the Pinned list) so then I have to go through "hiding" the chat for all the meetings I do every day, and half the time when I hit the "hide" button, it doesnt loving work.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Vasudus posted:

My objectives consist of maximizing the amount of money I can squeeze out of my employer in exchange for the absolute minimum amount of stress that comes with it.

Excellent life motto here

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mattfl posted:

Excellent life motto here

I'm definitely doing everything wrong here

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zarin posted:

I'm definitely doing everything wrong here

A much more common life motto

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
God ChatGPT is phenomenal for writing up my self review once I give it a list of things. Game changer

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

teams avatars are horrifying i hate them

EDIT: holy poo poo if someone sneezes the avatar dabs. everything is stupid

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 1, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My org uses pictures so I do not understand why I’m being prompted to create an avatar.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Microsoft desires your face please comply :)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

lmao awesome

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Jordan7hm posted:

My org uses pictures so I do not understand why I’m being prompted to create an avatar.

Wait wait wait

WAIT

What the gently caress?

This entire time, I thought when everyone was talking about "Teams Avatars" they were talking about replacing the default initials with their headshot from LinkedIn or whatever picture they wanted to upload.

Are you telling me there is something else even dumber going on here?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Spikes32 posted:

God ChatGPT is phenomenal for writing up my self review once I give it a list of things. Game changer

I did mine a few weeks back and it was incredible. My boss reacted as I expected by completely not reading mine but I saved a ton of time in manufacturing it to be overlooked.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zarin posted:

Search your heart.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My outlook photo is from 2012, I look like I'm a literal child. To compare, it's like my photo is Bobby Hill but I currently look like Gandalf. I've kept it because I'm not paying for a professional headshot, I don't give enough of a poo poo to stage a photo on my own time, and I frequently miss the signups when the office does it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Zarin posted:

Wait wait wait

WAIT

What the gently caress?

This entire time, I thought when everyone was talking about "Teams Avatars" they were talking about replacing the default initials with their headshot from LinkedIn or whatever picture they wanted to upload.

Same, until i encountered them in a meeting. Virtual video call avatars. Looks just like the dumb as poo poo apple bitmoji my mom uses. Yes, your camera has to be on. Yes, it tracks your eyes. Yes, it dabs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The funniest thing was during a business unit all hands one of the people on my team changed the presentation to that one where it shows all the video call people like they are sitting in an auditorium together, and it changed it for everyone. The VP was like “what the heck just happened” lmao

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

My outlook photo is from 2012, I look like I'm a literal child. To compare, it's like my photo is Bobby Hill but I currently look like Gandalf. I've kept it because I'm not paying for a professional headshot, I don't give enough of a poo poo to stage a photo on my own time, and I frequently miss the signups when the office does it.

I have a professional headshot that work paid for and puts on the website (and that I use for LinkedIn) but a really dog poo poo internal photo they took 5+ years ago is my internal outlook/teams/whatever photo for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’ve never had an official company picture at any job I’ve worked. I need one for my current job but the last time I was near the photographer I’d just save for a respiratory protection fit test and the results were DIRE so I remain picture-less.