Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I am practically incapable of deciphering visual puzzles.

Relatedly I really enjoyed Paper Mario: Origami King right up until the final boss at which point I got extremely frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some puzzles in prof layton were like "Count how many triangles are in this dumb picture!" and I just said "gently caress you layton" and looked up the answer

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

Some puzzles in prof layton were like "Count how many triangles are in this dumb picture!" and I just said "gently caress you layton" and looked up the answer

Oh this reminds me of a puzzle!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Oh you thought there were triangles in this picture??? I think you’ll find there are actually no triangles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, you thought we were in a vampire's castle? Well actually there's a leaking natural gas deposit in this area and the whole town is just a shared hallucination we're having. No, I'm not going to think about the health ramifications of spending multiple days in the middle of a gas leak.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

hi

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

raincode....

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I did it, I defeated Calamity Ganon.
BotW is now the first 3D Zelda game I've finished. An absolute classic.

I'd rank it just below Link to the Past, but that's probably because I played LttP when I was like 9.

Strongly considering getting Tears, but I do feel a bit burned out on this particular type of Zelda, so we'll see.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bone emulator posted:

I'd rank it just below Link to the Past, but that's probably because I played LttP when I was like 9.

Strongly considering getting Tears, but I do feel a bit burned out on this particular type of Zelda, so we'll see.

I really couldn't imagine playing them back to back. They're incredibly similar even if TOTK does loads of cool new stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yeXH-J91UU

Feeling like this would be pretty fun to be honest, hey?

Remember lots of slide kickin and big action pieces.
Probably lends itself to VR really well

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

bone emulator posted:

Yeah imo don't do Tears just yet, not to get your hopes down but it's "more of the same (but better)" and you'll most likely have a better time once you're feelin fresh and fine

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thirding the recommendation to take some time between BotW and TotK.

Even if burnout wasn't a concern, there's some extra joy to be had in TotK when your memories of BotW are a bit fuzzier. Time has passed in-game as well so it feels cool to return after some time passes in real life, too.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

cool, I'll resist the "fomo" and play something else.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
First of June, First of June, indoor gaming, in my room

(my apologies to Jonathan Coulton)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamnit I forgot We <3 Katamari was coming out and now it’s too late to preorder and none of my local gamestops are getting copies so I have to get it off Amazon and it won’t arrive from them until the 12th. This is the worst.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Goddamnit I forgot We <3 Katamari was coming out and now it’s too late to preorder and none of my local gamestops are getting copies so I have to get it off Amazon and it won’t arrive from them until the 12th. This is the worst.

Well, you know what they say,

https://i.imgur.com/POx1vCH.mp4

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/CogitoEdu/status/1664265841171628033
https://twitter.com/future_vizion/status/1664334366095597570

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 1, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lmao at those cities, did these knuckleheads think that the overgrown look of modern ruins was an aesthetic choice on the part of the builders

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tenochtitlan was big into carbon neutral buildings and LEED certification

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think my favorite small aesthetic choice in that game is giving mr. aztec a bunch of clubs with scary primitive spikes on 'em despite not having any armor harder than leather to have to punch through before the spanish showed up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tecpatl cannot kill Conquistadors wearing a helmet!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This looks so loving good!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

They probably watched that Mel Gibson movie for research

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vermain posted:

i think my favorite small aesthetic choice in that game is giving mr. aztec a bunch of clubs with scary primitive spikes on 'em despite not having any armor harder than leather to have to punch through before the spanish showed up

They did have some pretty scary weapons irl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bone emulator posted:

They probably watched that Mel Gibson movie for research

Yeah it looked like "Devs watched apocalypto and then jumped right into production" lol

Now this aesthetic... I would play a game with it

https://twitter.com/CogitoEdu/status/1664271070134956036

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This looks so loving good!

I'm curious to see how the biweekly episode releases will shake out. I don't think there have been very many episodic games on this scale with a release schedule like that, usually you'd have to wait months between episodes. And also how having the entire game made from the jump will affect the storytelling vs. just winging it as they go.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

They did have some pretty scary weapons irl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl

the macuahuitl was no joke, although it started to run aground when faced with any kind of well-armored opponent

even then, despite a lot of hay being made historically about the superiority of european arms, the conquest of both the aztecs and the incas was predominantly due to politics (large empires held together by the threat of force really love disintegrating when a credible opposition strolls into town) and imported diseases being spread across well-established trade networks. it's frustrating seeing that old canard sticking around to the point that aztec man has to build a bunch of loving ewok traps to triumph instead of simply cratering a spaniard's head with a big ol' club

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Welp, I'm 30 now. Now I can finally complain about my aches and pains without people saying I'm too young to.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I turn 30 next year but everyone around me has lost track of my birthday so hopefully no one notices

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Happy birthday/rip

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Happy RIPday

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Draga posted:

Welp, I'm 30 now. Now I can finally complain about my aches and pains without people saying I'm too young to.

Happy birthday kid!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good job, son *pats u on the head*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

1-2 SWITCH 2

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1664438318682230784?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

did they photoshop a gun out of his hand to put the swiimote in?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.fanbyte.com/games/news/the-wild-story-behind-nintendos-unannounced-1-2-switch-sequel/

Oh poo poo right, it was this game, the one that was testing so bad Nintendo was burying it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why is Katamri of all games showing me xbox buttons for my dang playstation controller oh gotta turn OFF playstation controller support of course

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 2, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vermain posted:

the macuahuitl was no joke, although it started to run aground when faced with any kind of well-armored opponent

even then, despite a lot of hay being made historically about the superiority of european arms, the conquest of both the aztecs and the incas was predominantly due to politics (large empires held together by the threat of force really love disintegrating when a credible opposition strolls into town) and imported diseases being spread across well-established trade networks. it's frustrating seeing that old canard sticking around to the point that aztec man has to build a bunch of loving ewok traps to triumph instead of simply cratering a spaniard's head with a big ol' club

the period of time between the conquistadors doing their well-known stuff (which ended with a grateful native ally planted on the throne and a Spanish foothold to send the army in) and Spain actually finishing their conquests for real is annoyingly difficult to find information on on Google. It's well-documented in books but like, it's hard for the casually curious person to get even a brief timeline. The wikipedia article on the conquest of Peru, for instance, has a detailed timeline up to 1535 and then just sort of waves its hands and says the conquest was finished by 1572. gently caress you!!! That's 40 years! You aren't even telling 10% of the story!

Another site repeatedly talked about how the Spanish held off thousands or tens of thousands of natives with only a few hundred men 'until reinforcements arrived' and then won. Like that's impressive, sure, but how big were the reinforcements? How lopsided were these battles, really, with the sensationalism removed? Impossible to say without devoting hours of your life to proper research, when it should be front and center on everything written about the topic.