Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Covok posted:

Thanks. I can be a lot to deal with. Anxiety and autism is a lot. At work, I have learned to deaden myself so a lot of people think nothing phases me, but it's all internal and my family knows that I'm a mess prone to panic attacks.

I nuked it. I found out the position was a family office preparing income tax returns, personal and business, for the owners. I explained there is a conflict of interest present there. She was confused why and I explained that the reason such things are usually done third party is so that the tax preparer cannot be coereced through unemployment to take actions they wouldn't feel comfortable taking otherwise and that third party accountants have the ability to disengage specifically to avoid anything odd happening. She wanted me to talk to her partner, but I wished her the best and said that I just wasn't interested pursuing such an opportunity because of the issues that could present itself. Sales tax, payroll tax, sure. They have little wiggle room. But income tax? No, never.

Also, a family office is already off-putting to me after my recent experience. I'd prefer bosses who can be objective with one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sometimes the flag is just red and there's nothing you can do about it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
Grimey Drawer
Flags so red you feel compelled to run towards them

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Covok posted:

Also, a family office is already off-putting to me after my recent experience. I'd prefer bosses who can be objective with one another.

Listen, just because we’re a small branch office of a massive global corporation doesn’t mean we aren’t all family here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

dpkg chopra posted:

Flags so red you feel compelled to run towards them

my love life dot txt

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Listen, just because we’re a small branch office of a massive global corporation doesn’t mean we aren’t all family here.

It sounds more like family office as in "rich old money family that has so many assets they need their own team of managers just to operate the scrooge mcduck vault pool"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shame Boy posted:

It sounds more like family office as in "rich old money family that has so many assets they need their own team of managers just to operate the scrooge mcduck vault pool"

That is how it was described, yes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah a family office is a specific thing that manages the family’s money once you got enough of it. Kind of like a private, family-specific hedge fund. Often a closed-end fund.

Covok
May 27, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah a family office is a specific thing that manages the family’s money once you got enough of it. Kind of like a private, family-specific hedge fund. Often a closed-end fund.

Yeah, it sounded like hell. I can't imagine working for something like that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Family offices generally pay pretty well but your experience is going to depend a lot on the family in question and to what extent they perceive that you're making money form. It probably won't be a good time.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is it generally assumed you should have your webcam on in interviews? Our company does not use webcams for meetings, and my personal pc doesn't have one normally hooked up. The first interview nobody on the team has theirs on except the manager. He asked for a second, and it seems I did well except I didn't have my camera on.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is it generally assumed you should have your webcam on in interviews? Our company does not use webcams for meetings, and my personal pc doesn't have one normally hooked up. The first interview nobody on the team has theirs on except the manager. He asked for a second, and it seems I did well except I didn't have my camera on.

Our company does cam off in screening calls to reduce bias. I also think it's low stakes early in the process to let a scammer through. In later rounds I think it would be weird to have cam off as interviewee. It is weird for interviewer to have camera off in later rounds.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I want to take a moment to shout out an amazing ally I've had in this job hunt. The guy's name is [censored]. The guy is super great. I've never had a more hand's on recruiter. He'll tell you the lowdown on companies, the things other candidates say about the place, and he'll even give you honest opinions on the companies you recruit from outside of his job search free of charge. The guy only works on Long Island, but I've never had a more down-to-earth, honest, and on-your-side recruiter before. Highly recommend him if you work in the Long Island area.

Like, today, I mentioned that I might get an offer from two places. He told me the low down on both and said, between the two, he'd pick that one. He literally has nothing to gain from that. Neither of those jobs came from him, but he has a ton of integrity. Not that I called him out of the blue, he called me with a new offer that sounded great, but just saying. He's a real stand-up guy.

Edit: Wait, can I say his name here?

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 2, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Initial screen I would say no camera but if you didn't have your camera on in a subsequent interview I would find it odd, especially considering I would have my camera on as the interviewer.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

My two 2nd/hiring manager interviewers didn’t use their cameras today. :/ I got all dressed up nice.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I didn't have the cam on for the interview with the manager but the one I did after with two engineers they both had theirs but I didn't know they would so I told them I had just woken up and we were all wearing t-shirts anyways so it was funny

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'll take all the comments. It seems I should have had it on in the second round, I'll go buy a basic polo shirt for subsequent interviews. Just found it odd that I wasn't considered for the job for not having a webcam specifically.

And yes, I've gotten fat sitting at home all day so none of my other nice shirts fit anymore. Pants be damned.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

And yes, I've gotten fat sitting at home all day so none of my other nice shirts fit anymore. Pants be damned.

The most charismatic and well liked boss I ever had was a short fat man. If you think you've got the juice then cut your hair, put on a nice shirt, turn the webcam on, and let em pick up what you're putting down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you’re going to bother buying a decent shirt for interviews buy an actually nice looking button up not a polo shirt

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I did all my interviews in pajama pants and t shirts, and I even got compliments on my Bugsnax shirt.

I even made sure to play up the senior engineers look raggedy meme and went a few days without shaving for some of the interviews.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Chainclaw posted:

I did all my interviews in pajama pants and t shirts, and I even got compliments on my Bugsnax shirt.

I even made sure to play up the senior engineers look raggedy meme and went a few days without shaving for some of the interviews.

This is generally not good advice.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

This is generally not good advice.

You gotta dress for the role, I ended up getting an offer from all 4 places I interviewed.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'd be too worried about getting on a call with a hiring manager who's salty about remote work and looking for an excuse to pass over someone who works in sweatpants all day. Even if the team is extremely chill I can't imagine combing your hair and putting on a button up shirt would ever work against you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
In the early days of COVID it was a bit more chaotic, people did interviews sitting on the floor, actively watching kids, etc. That was fine, no one really knew what the norms were and nobody was really prepared. Now I think you gotta show some effort, not a lot but show that your taking it somewhat seriously.

A decent shirt, a reasonable space to have a conversation (blurred or a background image is ok), and a reasonably quiet background is I think a pretty basic and universal requirement. I'm not saying I wouldn't hire someone who doesn't have these, but as a mostly remote workforce I'd like to make sure the person can put in the basics to make sure they can be prepared to do their job remotely.

Covok
May 27, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wouldn’t read too much in to that. Our standard interview process is about 2.5 hours.

Turns out you were right. My recruiter said I didn't get this job. He was actually a little annoyed with the company. They sent 15 applicants, they interviewed everyone for 2+ hours, they took none of them, went after someone they had found themselves who had a completely different background than the one they told the recruiter (finance, instead of Accounting), that guy ended up taking a different offer, and they have decided to start their entire interview process over again instead of reexamining the candidates. Struck us both as extremely odd as I mentioned the CFO was bemoaning having to do the senior accountant's work while they waited on a new hire. They had no feedback, but my recruiter said he might push them for some since a) he's the manager of his company and doesn't mind pushing for feedback from companies and b) is honestly pretty annoyed about the whole thing since they spent 2 months of his time. As he put it, "it strikes me as they didn't know what they wanted and wasted both our time."

Oh well, I went on 6 interviews this week and I have two scheduled next week. Two were second round interview. I was told, one way or another, I'll be told if I got an offer for one. And, as for the other, if I'll get in for a third round interview. Both pay about the same as my old job and they're much closer as they are one town over.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 3, 2023

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lockback posted:

In the early days of COVID it was a bit more chaotic, people did interviews sitting on the floor, actively watching kids, etc. That was fine, no one really knew what the norms were and nobody was really prepared. Now I think you gotta show some effort, not a lot but show that your taking it somewhat seriously.

A decent shirt, a reasonable space to have a conversation (blurred or a background image is ok), and a reasonably quiet background is I think a pretty basic and universal requirement. I'm not saying I wouldn't hire someone who doesn't have these, but as a mostly remote workforce I'd like to make sure the person can put in the basics to make sure they can be prepared to do their job remotely.

It is pretty much this. Granted i am 100% camera on all day, i wear a dress shirt even at home. Maybe i am weird. If someone didn't turn on the camera i probably would not consider them.

To the guy a page back or so who doesn't want LinkedIn. Just do it. More good that anything else. You don't have to engage with it at all.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spwrozek posted:

It is pretty much this. Granted i am 100% camera on all day, i wear a dress shirt even at home. Maybe i am weird. If someone didn't turn on the camera i probably would not consider them.

To the guy a page back or so who doesn't want LinkedIn. Just do it. More good that anything else. You don't have to engage with it at all.

I get some real fuckin' bad anxiety being on camera and I absolutely could not do it all the time. I can force myself to for interviews but yeah please don't judge people too hard if they just cannot deal with it.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'll take all the comments. It seems I should have had it on in the second round, I'll go buy a basic polo shirt for subsequent interviews. Just found it odd that I wasn't considered for the job for not having a webcam specifically.

Most of my interviews remotely have been camera on.

Unless someone before me has had their interview with the camera off, then I've gotten requests to leave the camera off so as not to bias the interviewer. I guess if they could only hear one person they were interviewing, then being able to both hear and see me puts the other person at a disadvantage.

Get a nice button down shirt and wear that. But I refuse to wear a tie in my own home.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I wonder if I could get an ADA exemption for video calls, I bet I could get my therapist to sign a thing about it lol

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
Grimey Drawer
Is it really that unreasonable to email the hiring manager or whoever is setting stuff up and just explaining the situation?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I wouldn't bring up ADA during an interview process. It will almost certainly hurt you.

dpkg chopra posted:

Is it really that unreasonable to email the hiring manager or whoever is setting stuff up and just explaining the situation?

Personally this would be fine to me, especially if you pretty casual about it and try not to make a big deal about it. But I know of many other managers who would consider this a strike, consciously or subconsciously.

If your tack is "I want to work remote but I don't want to be on calls at all" I would consider that well beyond reasonable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ok talked to the internal recruiter HR guy today and it turns out the executive I had trouble reading was just real fuckin' busy, and in fact liked me a lot and had nothing but good things to say about me. The job I was originally interviewing for is still very much an option, and I made it clear I'd prefer that one. It sounds like what happened was a guy doing the other job up and quit last week and they were scrambling to find someone to replace him, which explains why the executive dude saw the vague buzzwords on my resume and latched on to them and was all "oh hey you can do that?? How about that job instead, you're much more qualified for it!!!"

After hearing about the other job in more detail (previously it was just described as like, "our cloud solution" which is meaningless) I'd be perfectly fine doing it but it's more or less the same thing I've been doing for the last 10 years, whereas the original job I was interviewing for would afford me a lot more room for professional and personal growth and I think I'd be way more engaged with it, which I made clear to the recruiter guy. But even with the less-interesting job, it'd still be "the thing I've been doing for the last 10 years, but making ~50% more doing it, with better benefits" so I mean, I'm not complaining too much.

They want me to talk to one more dude (specifically the manager that needs that other position filled) before they start making offers and I made it clear I'll talk to whoever they need me to but I need to know that I'm not just getting bounced around endlessly, and he assured me this would be the last guy and worked with me to schedule the interview as soon as possible so I can get this goddamn process over with already. I think for my last job I talked to more people in total during the interview, but it was in person so I just sat in a conference room for 3 hours while people came in to talk to me, whereas this has been individual Teams calls scheduled every 2-3 days with people in wildly different time zones so it's just been dragging on painfully long for both me and the hiring manager and we're both kinda sick of it :v:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

McCracAttack posted:

I'd be too worried about getting on a call with a hiring manager who's salty about remote work and looking for an excuse to pass over someone who works in sweatpants all day. Even if the team is extremely chill I can't imagine combing your hair and putting on a button up shirt would ever work against you.

While I mostly agree with this post and always clean up for interviews, I would have absolutely zero interest in working for the person you described, or even if they're just the hiring manager, in a work culture that is indirectly defined by the types of people they weed out. Folks who put objectives over appearances tend to function better from home and are often invaluable team members in my experience (not to mention easier to work with).

So imo OP could argue that it counts as working against you if the proper look unknowingly gets you a job in that place when you could have kept hunting and found a position that isn't under the kind of old-school shitheel boss who is obsessed with having all their peons where they can see them at all times. I've worked with creatives who swore by a similar strategy for finding the agencies they actually wanted to work for (showing up in their regular "cool kid professional" work attire instead of business casual). So I think I get where OP is coming from for their very specific niche and I envy them that option, lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I will also say that, at least for me, putting on a nice ironed button-up shirt and a tie does kinda help me get me into this "I am a respectable professional" headspace. Probably couldn't deal with wearing it all day every day or anything but yeah.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Prime is a tremendous dickhead but he had it right:

https://twitter.com/DeionSanders/status/163676101669945344?s=20

Environment, clothing, etc help you get in the right head space to feel good and therefore play good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

While I mostly agree with this post and always clean up for interviews, I would have absolutely zero interest in working for the person you described, or even if they're just the hiring manager, in a work culture that is indirectly defined by the types of people they weed out. Folks who put objectives over appearances tend to function better from home and are often invaluable team members in my experience (not to mention easier to work with).

So imo OP could argue that it counts as working against you if the proper look unknowingly gets you a job in that place when you could have kept hunting and found a position that isn't under the kind of old-school shitheel boss who is obsessed with having all their peons where they can see them at all times. I've worked with creatives who swore by a similar strategy for finding the agencies they actually wanted to work for (showing up in their regular "cool kid professional" work attire instead of business casual). So I think I get where OP is coming from for their very specific niche and I envy them that option, lol

Everyone is going to have subconcious reactions to how a person presents themselves. No reason not to start with an uphill climb.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Environment, clothing, etc help you get in the right head space to feel good and therefore play good.

This is true for me, and I venture to guess it is probably true for most people, but it's not universally true. (That dressing up -> feeling better, that is) It's probably much less true of full time computer touchers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is true for me, and I venture to guess it is probably true for most people, but it's not universally true. (That dressing up -> feeling better, that is) It's probably much less true of full time computer touchers.

I'm a full time computer toucher and I absolutely feel more comfortable working in just like, a polo or t-shirt or whatever, definitely get the most done that way, but I feel more like a professional who knows his poo poo when I'm in a nice shirt and tie and that's what matters during an interview. It is very much something that's gonna differ a ton between people though so :shrug:

e: Like a trick actors use is if you can at least get your body looking and acting the part it makes it a lot easier for your mind to follow naturally, and during an interview you're definitely putting on a performance where you're playing a Qualified Business Professional.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 5, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

i'd reckon that even full time computer touches can recognize that the ones that present an air of professionalism and office competence do better. usually its more like "it's not fair i am a better computer toucher than Mike why does he get promoted" when mike like, showers on the reg and didn't have any sexual harrassment complaints filed against him when a woman joined the team but they still fundamentally understand how this works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"Enclothed cognition" is a thing and all, but that means I should be interviewing in a hoodie and dark sunglasses for maximum 1337.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i'd reckon that even full time computer touches can recognize that the ones that present an air of professionalism and office competence do better. usually its more like "it's not fair i am a better computer toucher than Mike why does he get promoted" when mike like, showers on the reg and didn't have any sexual harrassment complaints filed against him when a woman joined the team but they still fundamentally understand how this works
This is a wild leap to make about people who don't wear suits that is the exact opposite of my experience in offices.