Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nativity In Black posted:

Matt had to do the exploding shoe bit so no one would remember the American Dragon pulling himself down a handrail into a trashcan.

(The spot was great, but it's also a very silly visual.)

Danielson is a very silly man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Shard posted:

Danielson is a very silly man

Excuse me, his real name is John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt

Funny enough, that’s Kenny Omega’s real name too

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

How is the exploding shoe not self explanatory? Matt put on a special shoe, it’s not like he has superpowers.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

How is the exploding shoe not self explanatory? Matt put on a special shoe, it’s not like he has superpowers.

Ok how you know?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it was loaded hogan meat shoes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw that thumbtacks in the mouth spot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvamtc3d8X4&t=327s

It's like poetry. It rhymes. :v:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Shard posted:

Ok how you know?

Oh poo poo Andrade is baaack!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
why do people ask if they'd react the same to something if it was in wwe like who gives a gently caress and why does that matter lol

are you the fair shake wrassling product review inspector looking to dole out some fines or what

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so you liked this event okay, let me ask you this *flips open little notebook* what if instead of happening on the thing you like in a cool way it happened on this lovely thing some senile rapist threw together? *clicks pen*

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

smarxist posted:

why do people ask if they'd react the same to something if it was in wwe like who gives a gently caress and why does that matter lol

are you the fair shake wrassling product review inspector looking to dole out some fines or what

"I'm not biased actually you're biased" it's pretty much just that.

The whole problem with WWE is that wrestling is really simple and they gently caress it up. It's storytelling that uses a lot of known tropes to shortcut story telling and to play with expectations so of course AEW and WWE do a lot of the same poo poo and the devil is in the details and execution.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
On the exploding shoe:

I can understand being confused in a "wait, WHAT?!" sort of way. But IMO that's spontaneous reaction is exactly why they opted to NOT to cut to Matt stuffing whatever gadgetry into his shoe.

Sometimes you want the Chekov's gun, or some good foreshadowing, since it creates anticipation, foreboding, the idea of a swerve or playing with viewer's expectations. It gets us hooked on the material week-to-week, and we have something to banter about online or with wrestlefans IRL.

In the case of a once-off gimmicked pyro spot, showing the audience a hint beforehand could both lessen the impact of the actual moment itself (it would still be rad but somewhat less of a HOLY poo poo reaction) and you'd also have people just waiting for it to happen which can diminish the action going on in the interlude.

Lastly, after what happened with the exploding ring PPV ending, I think it's quite possible they gave themselves an out in case the trigger failed. If Matt just superkicked Mox with no explosion, they'd have segued into something else, and no one watching would know something had failed to work.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"Why did he have an exploding shoe" is a question I genuinely don't understand how someone could have if they are a regular viewer of AEW. The show has established exploding items/weapons as something that exists in hyperviolent matches; they had a pay-per-view headlining match built around this concept. Once you get to that point the question just becomes "Why did the wrestler have a weapon" and I don't know how to explain that to someone

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Also, Matt Jackson canonically gets off on Shoe-related gore.

It's like Mox and biting

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

So when the shoe pyro went off I went "what the gently caress was that?". Then Excalibur said something like "Matt Jackson used the exploding superkick!" That was pretty much all the explanation needed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I think they should've shown novelty like lighting the shoe or showing it being stomped in fake gunpowder backstage ir something but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it. It's a continuity error for nerds at like cinemasins who obsess over rather than acknowledge as an oversight.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

xbilkis posted:

"Why did he have an exploding shoe" is a question I genuinely don't understand how someone could have if they are a regular viewer of AEW. The show has established exploding items/weapons as something that exists in hyperviolent matches; they had a pay-per-view headlining match built around this concept. Once you get to that point the question just becomes "Why did the wrestler have a weapon" and I don't know how to explain that to someone

If it's not The Pipe or The Small Hammer it hasn't been established in AEW lore. Very confusing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's not a continuity error or an oversight is the entire thing, though. they brought a weapon in and it was a shoe because they've done shoe-based weapons in the past and it doesn't need to be explained past that

like, have people been grumbling that we never get establishing shots of people buying thumbtacks and kendo sticks to leave under the ring all this time?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the LORE of the SHOE

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

flatluigi posted:

it's not a continuity error or an oversight is the entire thing, though. they brought a weapon in and it was a shoe because they've done shoe-based weapons in the past and it doesn't need to be explained past that

like, have people been grumbling that we never get establishing shots of people buying thumbtacks and kendo sticks to leave under the ring all this time?

I don't think it's a big deal at all but I would have liked it more if they had telegraphed it a bit

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

jackofarcades posted:

I don't think it's a big deal at all but I would have liked it more if they had telegraphed it a bit

ya i feel the same way as this. but it's also the sort of thing that a post-reference kind of works for me too. not that i think they will address it on the aew tv, the BTE bit is probably all there will be.

in my mind the young bucks as characters care about their shoes too much to set up one to explode, but that is probably simply my misreading of their storied characters

edit: actually i would enjoy if they were just like "kenny said to use this shoe and didnt tell me why" because iirc they did a bit about him and don putting the exploding ring together?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Procrastinator posted:

in my mind the young bucks as characters care about their shoes too much to set up one to explode, but that is probably simply my misreading of their storied characters

they love overpaying for shoes so much that they'll explode one just because they can, and go buy more at above retail

read it and mother effin' weep

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Crapple! posted:

Ok so if this happened in a WWE show we'd all be just as cool with it right?

Edit:just saying it seems like the kind of thing that would be poo poo on

If it happened in WWE it would be in the Monster Energy Ultra Black Match as part of a feud with no heat and when it happened Michael Cole would immediately scream OH MY!!!! and you'd have various sex crimes and Saudi journalist executions in the back of your mind, so it wouldn't be as enjoyable

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The337th posted:

they love overpaying for shoes so much that they'll explode one just because they can, and go buy more at above retail

read it and mother effin' weep

Effin marks

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It all started on this thread with the exploding shoe and it'll end like the exploding ring...

SIXTY NINE ME DON, SIXTY NINE ME!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the LORE of the SHOE

If only AEW had put out some QR codes to explain the shoe...

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I need a documentary chronicling Kenny Omega forging the barbed wire broom, otherwise I just don't understand where it came from.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We got footage of Kenny building the exploding ring and look where that got us

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Bunch of dork rear end nerds itt

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

They glued a bunch of thumbtacks to the bottom of a shoe for that cage match against the Lucha Brothers, they can handle buying replacements

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I Before E posted:

They glued a bunch of thumbtacks to the bottom of a shoe for that cage match against the Lucha Brothers, they can handle buying replacements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tElWHOWJRWs&t=1022s

Look, Matt just loves a dangerous shoe, ok?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/jillsteet05/status/1664088594946875393?t=peUPkUNHB2aeDak-P8woAA&s=19

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Bring back Riho's pipe

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/CJGoldberg/status/1663981232739237896

(the OP, not the guy replying, he rules)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Don’t post transphobe poo poo, we’ve been over this time and time again

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 1, 2023

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

please don't just post straight up transphobia itt

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Venomous posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Venomous posted:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I urge anyone posting in this thread to read the first post and abide by the rules of the thread. Thanks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/MattBoone0709/status/1664232410517585922

Reminds me of the Jeff Hardy TNA title more than the BMF title and it doesn't remind me of either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Venomous posted:

(the OP, not the guy replying, he rules)

Honestly confused, he claims that was 4 years ago and now he's a somebody, then he says "Don't mock a 12 year old" so is he 16 and still in High School or what?