Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

Its just the AI will never attack unless it's sure of winning

Which should be the case, in theory. It's just a matter of the AI knowing they can win, where really people make mistakes, are overconfident etc. etc.

I don't know enough about computers to throw in those elements that create historical outcomes where forces were committed to a losing battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've been playing Great War: Western Front and it's not really grabbing me. Probably because I suck at attacking. Seems like a good game, and it's going to get updates, but I might just return it and wait for an even better discount.

Also been playing Total War Troy and it surprisingly is grabbing me. Dealing with the other Greeks is a challenge and I've restarted like 3 times and I haven't even seen the Trojans yet. I do like all the flavor and callbacks to the Homeric epics.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

Also been playing Total War Troy and it surprisingly is grabbing me. Dealing with the other Greeks is a challenge and I've restarted like 3 times and I haven't even seen the Trojans yet. I do like all the flavor and callbacks to the Homeric epics.

I think, for all its faults, TW Troy tells a good story. It's not as close to either the Iliad or history as I'd like, but it does give you an idea why it's a story that's lived forever. The character driven system from Three Kingdoms helps, because when we look at the Late Bronze Age, the personalities have the sharpest historical focus. We can't really know much about the common foot soldier, and historically speaking, just like the Samurai in the Gempei Wars, this was a period where the elite really did do much of the fighting and decide battles, either through single combat or by being the decisive force on the battlefield.

My hope would have been for Thrones of Britannia to have taken this approach. If they ever revisit the Early Middle Ages for an Arthurian setting, you have to put the characters forward.

Telling good stories is a problem for TW imo because the AI on the map layer doesn't provide a lot of memorable moments compared to something like CK, and there aren't that many things for you to do when at peace or whatever to really feel like a story is unfolding. The event driven, I guess sort of railroading, of Troy plays to TWs strengths and minimizes its weaknesses.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

In the Warhams universe not really, they just need to be cool and epic imo.

In the historical TWs yeah they should be gruelling slogs, but primarily over the multi-turn affairs that are now completely not a gameplay mechanic. The actual siege part is automated with no interactions beyond waiting a lot of turns, or storming a castle/fort. They should really add some siege mechanics beyond constructing siege engines to the strategic layer imo.

The original Stronghold was cool. Everything that came after wasn't imo.

yeah historical ancient/medieval sieges were pretty boring and is mostly a battle of attrition

sieges were hideously expensive for the attacker to conduct since they need to provision/pay for a far larger number of men on the fly than the guys sitting inside a castle: for a very long time.

That's why fortifications were so effective: they were means by which you can delay the enemy and/or economically attrition your enemy into giving up

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also more risk of disease and starvation in a siege camp then inside the castle. The castle has basic amenities and food stores, the siege camp is a field on hostile terrain that is also located inside hostile territory. The logistics get complicated quickly.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
people hated when CA reintroduced attrition for attackers in rome 2.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

People hate everything about every TW game. The community actually sucks so loving much.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Tankbuster posted:

people hated when CA reintroduced attrition for attackers in rome 2.

combined with instant assaults and the doom stacking there was no reason to ever siege
if you had to siege a number of turns depending on the defenses before being able to assault it could have been interesting

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/unityofcommand/status/1663856824477683712

Unity of the East when

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Megamissen posted:

combined with instant assaults and the doom stacking there was no reason to ever siege
if you had to siege a number of turns depending on the defenses before being able to assault it could have been interesting

ironic the reason why they made sieging fortifications pointless reflects the actual reasons why fortifications were effective historically: they tie down big armies and takes a really fking long time to take down

Typo has issued a correction as of 14:58 on May 31, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

Also more risk of disease and starvation in a siege camp then inside the castle. The castle has basic amenities and food stores, the siege camp is a field on hostile terrain that is also located inside hostile territory. The logistics get complicated quickly.
not in actual history but in asoiaf book 4 there's this one stark bannerman who was holding out in riverrun against a lannister siege after robb died and when I first read I was like "yeah this guy is screwed".

now that I think about it the dude prob could have just held out for years (multi-year sieges were a thing during medieval times) and waited for the winds of political fortune to destabilize the Lannister regime and then made a deal with whoever replaced them to retain his independence.

too bad Edmure tully is a failson

Typo has issued a correction as of 15:36 on May 31, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they should make a pc version of next war so i dont have to do so much book keeping

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Any of the proposed Osprey titles in the May vote could be good, I wish they'd pull the trigger and commission all of them as the Elite series has really improved from the tactics books imo.

Battle Tactics in the Ancient Near East
Three powers dominated the ancient Near East for centuries: the Egyptians, harnessing the power of the chariot; the Philistines, using adroit leadership and skilful tactics to defeat their adversaries; and the Israelites, whose unconventional approach and powerful faith made them a regional super power. The battle tactics of these three powers vying for supremacy in the ancient Near East are described and illustrated in this insightful study.

Ancient Greek Battle Tactics 800–148 BC
For hundreds of years, the ancient Greeks developed and honed their battle tactics, from the hoplite era to the rise of Alexander the Great and his successors. The heavy infantryman operating in close order was at the heart of the Greek way of war, supported by light-armed troops and archers. This book examines how Greek battle tactics evolved, from the emergence of the Greek city-states to the eclipse of the Macedonian phalanx by the Roman legion.

18th-Century Battle Tactics
The 18th century witnessed the application and refinement of European battle tactics, as the great powers strove for ascendancy in a series of set-piece battles that saw the development of both massed flintlock musketry and battlefield artillery. Fully illustrated, this book shows how the tactical innovations propounded by Maurice de Saxe, Frederick the Great and others played out on the battlefield, from the end of the Great Northern War to the eve of the French Revolutionary Wars.

World War I Machine-Gun Tactics
The stalemate and slaughter of the Western Front, as well as the equally brutal but more mobile warfare in other theatres of operations during World War I, prompted the development of sophisticated tactics that harnessed the power of the machine gun in defence and attack. While Germany led the way in terms of machine guns and their tactical applications, the other combatants rapidly caught up as machine guns came to dominate infantry-vs-infantry combat.

German Armour Tactics 1939–45
While several powers experimented with the use of armoured fighting vehicles during and after World War I, it was Nazi Germany that came to epitomize the application of innovative armour tactics, most vividly during the Blitzkrieg era (1939–41). Throughout World War II, German armour developed at a rapid pace in terms of firepower, protection and mobility, a pace matched by the evolution of German battlefield tactics as rapid offensive warfare gave way to dogged defence.

I suspect the votes will be for German Armour Tactics, unfortunately.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm knee-deep in a Frederick the Great book rn and 18th century would be cool

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

they should make a pc version of next war so i dont have to do so much book keeping

theres VASSAL but its more of a swap to clickety clicking instead of rulebook browsing and doesn't really streamline it much

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TilFolkvang/status/1664271679617646594?t=Yau-HdigIgwhqS9RycNrfQ&s=19

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They brought back matched unit combat animations, weird nostalgic feeling watching melee footage

What's most interesting to me is that they are giving combat stances some units. So if you set a unit to retreat stance, it will still face and fight their enemy but will back up as they do so. And then theres stances to push the enemy, try not to move at all, just do whatever, etc. That combined with units being a bit tankier and morale seeming to be a bit more important could give the game a unique feel

I imagine it'll be like the unit weight class in Troy where it was mostly ignorable but I'm still pretty intrigued and I'm a total war simp anyways

The Chad Jihad has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Jun 1, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

The Chad Jihad posted:

They brought back matched unit combat animations, weird nostalgic feeling watching melee footage

What's most interesting to me is that they are giving combat stances some units. So if you set a unit to retreat stance, it will still face and fight their enemy but will back up as they do so. And then theres stances to push the enemy, try not to move at all, just do whatever, etc. That combined with units being a bit tankier and morale seeming to be a bit more important could give the game a unique feel

I imagine it'll be like the unit weight class in Troy where it was mostly ignorable but I'm still pretty intrigued and I'm a total war simp anyways

the combat stances seems very cool, a thought i had recently was that the tw games could use a discipline/drill stat changes how quick they can change formation/redeploy (would be a bigger thing in the line infantry games) but it could also be useful for this

have any recent total war game moved away from units being tied to armies, allowing you to put an extra garrison somewhere or send a detachment without having to commit one of your limited armies?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I miss TW 3 kingdoms now

there's nothing that quite matches the joy of watching Lu Bu solo like 1000 men by himself

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Or Liu Bei solo a baby.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Megamissen posted:

the combat stances seems very cool, a thought i had recently was that the tw games could use a discipline/drill stat changes how quick they can change formation/redeploy (would be a bigger thing in the line infantry games) but it could also be useful for this

have any recent total war game moved away from units being tied to armies, allowing you to put an extra garrison somewhere or send a detachment without having to commit one of your limited armies?

They had that stat since Medieval 2 at least. It's one of those ideas that sounds interesting but in practice it just makes some units feel sluggish if you really look at them.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, I remember back in the rome 2 days, medieval 2's weird pathfinding glitches were seen as IMMERSIVE by TWCenter.

Edit: from the IGN article about sea people.

They're ruthless raiders and obviously quite talented seafarers, visually realized as a multi-ethnic coalition with eclectic combat gear that suggests they have gathered warriors from all over the ancient Mediterranean. Some of their troops are clearly riffs on Total War: Troy's Mycenaens. They have multiple units with "Aegean" in their names. Others borrow from ancient depictions of Corsican, Sardinian, or Cretan islanders.

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Jun 1, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

tw empire pirates return to menace the gaming world once more

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Tankbuster posted:

yeah, I remember back in the rome 2 days, medieval 2's weird pathfinding glitches were seen as IMMERSIVE by TWCenter.

units being dumb on walls is an immersive representation of the lower oxygen levels at higher altitudes and/or acrophobia

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

They had that stat since Medieval 2 at least. It's one of those ideas that sounds interesting but in practice it just makes some units feel sluggish if you really look at them.

did some light testing comparing a peasant unit and an armoured sergeants unit, at the start of the formation change there is a big difference but the peasant catch up a lot after that so it ends up not being that big

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

TWCenter is one of the worst places on the internet.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Minenfeld! posted:

TWCenter is one of the worst places on the internet.

Does it still run like rear end?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I don't know a lot about the history of the period but it feels like there has never been a time in history where you could coherently represent whatever is going on in anatolia+levant+egypt while excluding Mesopotamia

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I've been continuously playtesting and refining my untitled game. The biggest change has been narrowing the field - it's now played over a space 4 tall by 3 wide, rather than a 4x4 grid. I was initially afraid this change might make maneuvering around established defenses not viable enough, but it actually turned out great. The game is more focused, simpler, and faster. I still haven't figured out a name. Someone suggested DUALCOM, referencing military acroyms like SOUTHCOM or TACOM, and that most of the time it's a 2 player game. Someone else ran with it and suggested DUELCOM, and that's the best I have so far.

Today I finished a new deck.

The 11th is the US' armoured deck. A 1st or 3rd Armored Division would probably make more sense. A regiment is considerably smaller than a division, and, being deployed on the border, means that in a real war the 11th would have probably been mulched in hours.

On the other hand, they have a cool badge.

The deck is, in many ways, the opposite of the 8th Infantry that serves as the US' default deck. The 8th is very balanced between all the game mechanics: it's got some strong infantry, plenty of helicopter and jet air support, strong artillery, and great fortifications. It fortifies strongpoints, and attempts to counter the Pact player.

The 11th, on the other hand, focuses on constant maneuver with very tough units.

The starting hand packs a punch, with 2 platoons of scout Bradleys and 2 platoons of M60s, as well as the orders to retreat and counter-attack.

You have 2 more ground scout units available. You lack a Kiowa (yes, yes, I know the 11th would have fielded them, but the deck does need to have weaknesses), but your recon units can gang up on vulnerable enemies.

An armoured deck wouldn't be an armoured deck without more tanks. With a total of 4 M60s and 2 Abrams, you are very scary. The Abrams are an absolute bastard to take out. Remember, for speed of play, the game does not track partial damage. You either render a formation combat ineffective, or don't.

Your tanks are precious, however, so you still need to use infantry to delay the enemy. Supply convoys cannot fight, so they are strictly worse than an infantry unit, but they do count as units, allowing you to deploy your real assets further up the field. You also have an extra order card, for even better maneuverability.

And you need it. Without a lot of fortifications, you can't hold ground effectively with infantry against a real Pact assault. You will be shuffling your tanks back and forth across the battlefield all the time. The camo netting helps protect you against being revealed and hammered by Pact artillery until you commit to combat. The pontoon bridge lets your tanks cross rivers. It's unlikely to be particularly useful in most games, but you'll be grateful for it if you end up isolated too far up the board.

Almost all your strength is in your units, rather than your actions. You do get one counter-battery card to give the Pact player something to think about when he wants to hammer you with their artillery.

And finally, your air defence is weak. The 8th gets fighter support, but you just get a single VADS and a Stinger. MANPADS are played from your hand, rather than deployed on the battlefield, and it will cause an enemy airstrike disengage, but it won't shoot it down. And you only get one use. It will save you at the critical moment, but that's it.

And on the next installment...

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Jun 2, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I don't understand why this is such a common spelling mistake, but it's Cavalry, not Calvary.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Orange Devil posted:

I don't understand why this is such a common spelling mistake, but it's Cavalry, not Calvary.

blame Pontus Pilate

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

blame Pontus Pilate

the noncanonical Gospel of Peter includes an otherwise unattested story of Jesus being sent to the nearby barracks only to be returned to Pilate by a confused decurion due to the homophonous confusion. in his memoirs, Bud Abbott would cite the story as his inspiration when he wrote the famous Who's On First routine.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

There's a Sarmatian cavalry and Samaritan Calvary pun in there somewhere

(The trick is remembering that the abbreviation of cavalry is cav not calv)

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

Oops lol

I swear I triple checked it!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Azathoth posted:

the noncanonical Gospel of Peter includes an otherwise unattested story of Jesus being sent to the nearby barracks only to be returned to Pilate by a confused decurion due to the homophonous confusion. in his memoirs, Bud Abbott would cite the story as his inspiration when he wrote the famous Who's On First routine.

To the matter at hand, there's a good amount of writing about the Armoured Cavalry around Fulda, so it really depends on what you want to depict. Veterans of the 11th Armoured Cavalry describe themselves as a tripwire formation and screen for the main NATO forces to their rear. Their job was to provide advanced warning and prevent NATO forces from being surrounded while still in barracks on the first day of the war by fighting a delaying action. As a result, the unit itself trained at fighting mobile, dispersed actions.

If that's what you want to depict mechanically with that deck, it's a good choice. If you want the Armoured deck to stand for a concentrated striking force, another formation would be more appropriate.

Of course... if you wanted a deck that represented the NATO formation that 11 ACR were buying time for, a II Corps formation poised to win the war in a single decisive action, there is only one candidate...

ee: Goon project?

Real-Time General really is real-time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWlcvyAr5NU

Although the idea of a massively multiplayer Operation Overlord wargame isn’t totally new (Grogs with long memories may remember Hours of War, a promising hex project from Finland that never progressed beyond beta-testing) Foolish Mortals’ astonishingly literal interpretation of ‘real-time’ isn’t something you come across often.

The clock in RTG will be immune to imprecation. No amount of prodding or pleading will make its hands spin faster. As the game’s units snail across the 30,000+ km2 map at authentic rates, battles have realistic durations, and complications like fatigue are modelled, the devs are going to allow players (up to 400 of whom can share a battlespace) ten actual weeks to expel German forces from NW France.

Obviously, commanders won’t need to monitor and manage constantly during these two-and-a-half month marathons, but forum statements like this one…

“As for delayed orders, with everything passing in real-time even when you’re not logged in, there will inevitably be delays from when you’re alerted to something via email or notifications to when you can jump back on and give orders, which certainly mirrors real life in many aspects when officers were not always available (or no way to contact them).”

…suggest inattentive and time-poor players may be at a disadvantage. How much of a disadvantage? Assuming I manage to wangle myself onto the alpha test that begins next week, I should be able to answer that question by the end of June.

EDIT – Micheal Long has just said this to me on the subject of absenteeism: “If the player doesn’t log on for few days, the AI will take over their units, and we’ll try to give the player back their units if they log back on. If your units die while AI controlled, it’s fine – you’ll get new ones (there’s a constant stream of fresh reinforcements arriving).”

Spending weeks carefully choreographing the same three company-sized units (three additional units – in the case of an infantry battalion, a recon platoon, heavy weapons company and a fourth infantry company – will become available as your battalion “levels up”) should lead to some pretty deep attachments forming. Knowing Foolish Mortals, they won’t be happy unless, now and again, we find ourselves hesitating before hurling our cherished chits into the fray.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Jun 3, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I've been continuously playtesting and refining my untitled game. The biggest change has been narrowing the field - it's now played over a space 4 tall by 3 wide, rather than a 4x4 grid. I was initially afraid this change might make maneuvering around established defenses not viable enough, but it actually turned out great. The game is more focused, simpler, and faster. I still haven't figured out a name. Someone suggested DUALCOM, referencing military acroyms like SOUTHCOM or TACOM, and that most of the time it's a 2 player game. Someone else ran with it and suggested DUELCOM, and that's the best I have so far.

Today I finished a new deck.

Having now played 3 rounds of this game with Zeppelin Insanity I can tell you all that the game feels fun with a solid gameplay loop and some interesting decisions to be made. Once you know what you're doing you can cram all of that into 30 minutes which feels pretty right for what it is. So if any of you nerds want to play some games against me on TTS to see if we can find some balance issues let me know.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I don't know a lot about the history of the period but it feels like there has never been a time in history where you could coherently represent whatever is going on in anatolia+levant+egypt while excluding Mesopotamia

IIRC Assyria and Mesopotamia are going through their own collapse at this point so their ability to throw down over the levant and Anatolia is a little limited in this timeframe. But yeah, doing a Mediterranean based campaign without including the Assyrians is like letting someone play in the steppes or Tibetan plateau without including China.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Orange Devil posted:

always funny when people choose to die on that hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

you can link audio clips to card/whatever states. you should make any bradley card play the bradley theme when it gets flipped or comes into play or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snnFrwzTDJs

(no real comments but it looks neat. i have some tts friends and they get milsim itches... it's all in that workshop link right?)

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Jun 3, 2023