Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cat botherer posted:

Yeah I was one of the weird kids at my shithole rural middle school when Columbine happened. I got interrogated a few times (multiple hours each time) by the principal and assistant principle trying to get me to admit to whatever plot me and the other weird kids were definitely cooking up. Just traumatizing a bunch of 12-13 year olds, threatening with jail and everything, trying to get us to name names or admit to a nonexistent plot. The Columbine duo weren't even in the "trenchcoat mafia." They weren't the weird kids, they were the bullies who tormented the weird kids. Not that the media wasn't happy to pump up fear.

One of my friends liked to wear a long coat in a similar style, after Columbine he went to the teachers and made sure that'd still be okay. Probably headed off any pushback, though it's hard to note things that didn't happen.

When I graduated my friends and I skipped the traditional Senior Lock-In, opting to do a LAN party instead. The kids at the school trashed the place, and we were told graduation would not proceed until everyone cleaned it up. The principal thanked us for helping even though she knew we hadn't been there. Lady, you were holding our diplomas hostage. At least acknowledge we didn't exactly have a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Her speech at graduation was all about how people are like geese, we have to flock together to stay strong and all outcast geese end up suffering and dying.

So she would prefer all her students to be goose-stepping around together?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bruceski posted:

One of my friends liked to wear a long coat in a similar style, after Columbine he went to the teachers and made sure that'd still be okay. Probably headed off any pushback, though it's hard to note things that didn't happen.

When I graduated my friends and I skipped the traditional Senior Lock-In, opting to do a LAN party instead. The kids at the school trashed the place, and we were told graduation would not proceed until everyone cleaned it up. The principal thanked us for helping even though she knew we hadn't been there. Lady, you were holding our diplomas hostage. At least acknowledge we didn't exactly have a choice.

Reminds me of the end of my junior year, a bunch of super popular seniors were graduating & most years had a tendency to have a massive food fight in the cafeteria. Staff told us repeatedly that if it happened that year, they'd ban off-campus lunch altogether for everyone. In typical fashion, a food fight broke out, poo poo got broken, a few kids got hurt...but despite having like 5-6 security guards & multiple cameras, the instigator wasn't caught. Found out shortly after they graduated it was a couple of the football jocks & the school staff were lazy assholes who had proof the whole time but refused to rat them out. Tells you all you need to know really.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I refused to shake my principal's hand as I walked because he put me in detention constantly the last half year because I was openly accusing him of embezzling from the school (1st gen charter school). They turned my rear end around and made me shake his hand.

Eventually the FBI raided the school and he got sent to federal prison for embezzling federal money lol

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 1, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My embezzlement scheme is so transparent a snot nosed kid is calling me out on it, how should I cover my tracks? I know, I'll compel them to shake my hand on stage, that'll fix it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Reminds me of the end of my junior year, a bunch of super popular seniors were graduating & most years had a tendency to have a massive food fight in the cafeteria. Staff told us repeatedly that if it happened that year, they'd ban off-campus lunch altogether for everyone. In typical fashion, a food fight broke out, poo poo got broken, a few kids got hurt...but despite having like 5-6 security guards & multiple cameras, the instigator wasn't caught. Found out shortly after they graduated it was a couple of the football jocks & the school staff were lazy assholes who had proof the whole time but refused to rat them out. Tells you all you need to know really.
The things school teaches you about the world and how it works outside the classroom are often more important that what it teaches you inside.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

The things school teaches you about the world and how it works outside the classroom are often more important that what it teaches you inside.

I think that's almost universally true apart from like actual universities and such. School ages 6-18 is just daycare, with a thick enough veneer of teachable knowledge it can legally be called education.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

the holy poopacy posted:

My embezzlement scheme is so transparent a snot nosed kid is calling me out on it, how should I cover my tracks? I know, I'll compel them to shake my hand on stage, that'll fix it.

I got all-expenses paid to go to the Panasonic Academic Challenge at Disney World my junior and senior year so it wasn't all bad

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

the holy poopacy posted:

Charter schools are literally designed to steal money that should go to education and put it in private pockets. How the gently caress was this guy such a fuckup that he broke the law?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MrQwerty posted:

I refused to shake my principal's hand as I walked because he put me in detention constantly the last half year because I was openly accusing him of embezzling from the school (1st gen charter school). They turned my rear end around and made me shake his hand.

Eventually the FBI raided the school and he got sent to federal prison for embezzling federal money lol

oh poo poo is there a news article or anything? i'd love to read about how this guy went down. i get it if you don't wanna share bc its too personal tho

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

StrangersInTheNight posted:

oh poo poo is there a news article or anything? i'd love to read about how this guy went down. i get it if you don't wanna share bc its too personal tho

eh I graduated 19 years ago, no skin off my back

https://www.justice.gov/usao-nm/pr/founder-and-former-administrator-public-charter-schools-albuquerque-sentenced-60-months

he was running a flight school that actually graduated people, so it wasn't totally useless, but he also owned the company renting planes, and the planes that were rented to the school; so he was trying to pay himself under the table. That's how he got caught and the FBI showed up at my old high school, sent everyone home and sent all the documents out of the office in tamper taped filing boxes.

I remember the day it happened, I had so many old classmates hitting me up like LOL YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO SSLC AND SCOTT?

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 1, 2023

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh. Oh god.

Hey uh... jesus this is long.

My (F50) Daughter in law (24F) gave birth and doesn't seem to want a relationship with me

Remember this story where the mother in law was SO AGGRIEVED that her son and DIL didn't visit her after DIL spent three loving days in labor? She did everything from question the doctor's diagnosis to pitching a fit that she didn't get a phone call during recovery. Remember how it got updates where her trying to find legal advice for grandparent's rights? And then a friend of hers informed the DIL about it so they could take preemptive measures?

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/13wsuoi/shes_back_my_f50_daughter_in_law_24f_gave_birth/

There's. More. This is a NOVEL of text, so I'm only gonna post what I don't think was posted here.

******NEW Post: May 22, 2023 (2.5 months from OG Post. New Username)*****

AITA for removing my son from my will after our relationship ended?

quote:

I really don’t think I’m wrong, but I just need reassurance that I’m doing the right thing.

I (F 50s) have a son (David, 30s) who is married to Bea, 20’s. They have a daughter who is 4 months old, and my son has a daughter from a previous relationship who is 10.

Bea & I had a falling out after their baby was born, and my son and granddaughters got caught in the crossfire. The falling out happened in March, and I know I did and said things I wasn’t proud of, and although she hasn’t apologized I’m sure she feels the same way. It would be too long to go over the history, but at the most extreme point I did consult a lawyer for grandparent rights. During this time, my son had no contact with me, but when I dropped the grandparents rights case I asked for things to go back to normal. My son expressed that he wanted things to go back to normal, but that a lot of damage had been done and he really didn’t know if we could go back to normal.

For Mother's Day, my daughter decided to take me out to dinner, and she begged David to go and bring the baby (oldest was with mom). David eventually did agree on the condition it wasn’t on mothers day, and He, the baby, and Bea came. Bea was quiet most of dinner, but did talk to my daughter a few times – I guess they have a pretty good relationship. Bea held the baby the entire time, and wouldn’t let me hold or take pictures (part of the falling out was over pictures and Facebook, so I found this to be petty).

Overall, I would have called dinner a success. At the end I hugged my son and told him I was proud of him for putting his foot down and coming to dinner with his daughter, and that I hoped he could continue to do that. Looking back, I know I shouldn’t have said anything. My son called me later that night and told me that he couldn’t continue to have a relationship with me. He said that Bea was their child's mother, and he wouldn’t ever bring the baby anywhere without her blessing. I was drunk when he called because I have had a hard time coping, and I admit I lost it a little bit on the phone call and told him it was despicable that he couldn’t man up to his wife, and that he should have come to see me on mothers day because I am his mother. He ended up hanging up on me.

I called the next day and profusely apologized to him. I know it was wrong of me to have said what I did, and I told him I want a relationship with him. He told me he couldn’t do this with me anymore.

I have been heartbroken ever since, but I understand I guess. I called him last night and told him that I wouldn’t be contacting him or his wife anymore ever, and that I respected that we wouldn’t have a relationship. I also let him know I would be taking him off as my power of attorney and out of my will so he never had to be bothered with anything from me again. I don’t have much anyways.

He got mad at me and called me a sorry excuse of a mother, and now my daughter is saying I’m manipulative. I really don’t understand how I was wrong in giving him what he wants."

People figure out it's the same woman because she has a pretty distinctive typo style.

quote:

I have been in therapy to help deal with this trauma. I've been told that I need to respect his boundaries so this feels like I am. Why would i want someone who doesn't care about me making medical decisions for me? He's also expressed I'm a hoarder and I don't have money so I don't know why he would want to be bothered with stuff in a will.

quote:

No, I said I wanted to kill myself because I felt like I had no one. While I was on a hold for 72 hours and received treatment I got set up with my therapist to help deal with some of the trauma both from what's happening now and past issues.

quote:

I had a psychotic break. This is one of the actions I truly regret.

Update Post to AITA: May 24, 2023

quote:

AITA woukdnt let me post an update due my post being "violent" so here we are.

after someone posted a link to what i believe is my daughter-in-laws reddit posts and i read some of the verbal beatings i got i did some more reflection. i feel like her perspective of events really helped shift my view. i do want to point out there are several people who told me i was not wrong and that this younger generation has a poor view of family values. i really believe i was judged so harshly because there are so few parents\grandparents on reddit.

i went to my son and dils house but it was mostly empty. i was afraid of this after reading her post and some of the comments. i found the listing and its been posted for almost a week and is currently pending but i cant find where they moved to and all the photos are of the house mostly empty. i suspect they bought it under an llc so i am currently trying to figure out how to find out the name of the llc and then find the house. i talked to one of their neighbors and they said they moved most of their stuff out around the beginning of may so my son kept this from me for quite a while and didnt even bother to mention it at dinner.

i had a meeting with my therapist to help me through this but im still a wreck. my son has just disappeared. i know everyone here is looking through my small 3000 character limited posts and my dils long gripes about me but my son woukdnt do this on his own. his wife is absolutely manipulative but it doesnt change the fact i handled this all wrong and drove him further away. if i woukd have just sought out a relationship with my son ang granddaughters without b i dont think i woukd be here. i should have just played nice. one commentor said it when they asked me “do you want to be right or do you want to have a relationship with your son and granddaughter?” and i choose wrong.

my therapist told me to give myself some healing time before pursuing anything but for now my plan is to just save some money and hire a private investigator to find my son and then rebuild my relationship and his trust so we can work to get him out from under her.

again i recognize i was wrong in some of this. i recognize i was overly demanding and critical – i was wrong in some of this. but i didnt deserve this. people who use kids and grandkids as pawns are evil.

i will probably continue to seek advice but it certainly wont be from this account. and to whoever linked my other posts from my other account and told my dil about this screw you.

comment from OOP when her post was crossposted to r/AmITheDevil

quote:

screw everyone here. i am far from being a devil. i am not evil. the person who is evil is the one who took my family completely away from me. my dil has completely manipulated my son. ill admit i was far from perfect but i dont deserve what you people are saying about me. i hope one day you guys feel what it's like to lose your child and grandchild to a manipulative person who just wants to cut their family off.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They always regress to that child logic of "I'm not going to get what I want? Well fine, I don't want to play anymore. And I'm going to throw out the pieces and poo poo on the board because that's obviously what you want"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh. Oh god.

Hey uh... jesus this is long.

My (F50) Daughter in law (24F) gave birth and doesn't seem to want a relationship with me

Remember this story where the mother in law was SO AGGRIEVED that her son and DIL didn't visit her after DIL spent three loving days in labor? She did everything from question the doctor's diagnosis to pitching a fit that she didn't get a phone call during recovery. Remember how it got updates where her trying to find legal advice for grandparent's rights? And then a friend of hers informed the DIL about it so they could take preemptive measures?

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/13wsuoi/shes_back_my_f50_daughter_in_law_24f_gave_birth/

There's. More. This is a NOVEL of text, so I'm only gonna post what I don't think was posted here.

******NEW Post: May 22, 2023 (2.5 months from OG Post. New Username)*****

AITA for removing my son from my will after our relationship ended?

People figure out it's the same woman because she has a pretty distinctive typo style.

Update Post to AITA: May 24, 2023

comment from OOP when her post was crossposted to r/AmITheDevil

I, sadly, anticipate watching a true crime JCS-type video about this woman in the near future.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

assholes are all so similar to each other

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Did you really threaten suicide over not being able to see your grandchild?"

"No, of course not, I threatened suicide for a totally different reason"

:allears:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL. My therapist told me to respect their boundaries and let some time pass, so I'm hiring a private eye to track down the LLC that they bought their most recent house under so they avoid my bizarre stalking and harassment, that will show them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also follows the same pattern of accepting the smallest amount of responsibility and being bewildered that it's not enough when you're saying things like "I know I lost my cool and that's my fault and I can't change that but what about the evil harpy that stole my children and grandchildren?"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
if i was a better person i'd feel sorry for the woman with obvious mental issues who alienated her entire family. i'm not tho, so gently caress her

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

FMguru posted:

LOL. My therapist told me to respect their boundaries and let some time pass, so I'm hiring a private eye to track down the LLC that they bought their most recent house under so they avoid my bizarre stalking and harassment, that will show them.
Cmon, let’s not be unfair. She only hired that PI so she could track them down in order to “gain their trust.”

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Clocks posted:

AITA for disposing my pads in my boyfriend’s bathroom?

Thread got locked, presumably for the amount of people they had to ban for calling him a manchild.

Men being grossed out by women's periods will never not be funny to me. Most of the time if you are a straight dude, and you are having sex with a woman, you want her to have her period. Because that means she's not pregnant. But the fact that the dude can't use what he deems as his, whenever he wants, or that something is happening to his possession, that he can't control, and that makes it gross, it's just hilarious. Dudes. Trust me, pretty much every woman I know would be more than happy to skip having a period. Mostly forever, or for it to be a conscious decision, like going to the bathroom, or at the very least we could choose a date and time for it all to come rushing out at once, but it's not like that. Shut up and enjoy the fact you don't have to deal with this first hand.

In terms of graduation, my graduation was near Phoenix, Arizona in early June, so it was close to 100° that evening. I mostly remember sweating non-stop, and all of these students in direct sunlight, and no, we couldn't have umbrellas, and a few kids almost passed out. What I remember mostly was the kid next to me, and we never really got along, but he passed me his Nokia cell phone so I could play snake on it. While we were waiting. The ceremony took a few hours, to this day. I can't tell you anything that happened other than I got to play a cell phone game, and people were getting sick. I mean there was the fact that throughout high school I'd always had hair down to my waist, and the day of graduation, I had it chopped off the shoulder length so most people didn't know who I was when I graduated.

For that mil,. Do we know what exactly started it? Because we know for a fact she was totally the innocent party and her evil daughter-in-law Harpy of a shrew woman is the one who was at fault.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh god reading that reddit link is just terrible.

Although her claiming that medical mj is legal where she lives, and also she lives in a small town in Indiana, is just another sprinkle on the icing on the narcissist cake. Cannabis is illegal, for any reason, in Indiana, but big city prosecutors are refusing to do anything, leaving her in the worst loving position.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

For that mil,. Do we know what exactly started it? Because we know for a fact she was totally the innocent party and her evil daughter-in-law Harpy of a shrew woman is the one who was at fault.
It's described in detail in the previous linked post, but it really started around the time the kid was born. I'll save you some time by just tl;dr'ing some of the money quotes:

When Bea was in labor at the hospital posted:

I called him while she was in labor a few times, but on the second day after her water broke I called him and heard her snap at him to get off the phone and he refused to accept any calls after that.
I'm only calling "a few times" while your wife's in labor, totally reasonable since I'm the person you need to be focused on right now rather than your pregnant wife.

After kid is born posted:

She was in the hospital 2 days after the c section, and they wouldn't stop to visit me on their way home after the birth because she was hurting, even though she had pain killers she could have taken and she "didn't feel right" according to my son.
Forget your wife's pain, tell her to suck it up so you can stop by my house immediately on the way home from the hospital!

A days after returning home with the kid posted:

I was supposed to visit a couple days after they got home, but she ended up insisting something was wrong and went back to the doctor who apparently sent her to the hospital. My son told me they diagnosed her with post partum preeclampsia, but I was pretty certain that that was only something that happened during pregnancy and went away after birth so I was pretty sure he was confused. The day after they admitted her again, 5 days after the baby being born with everyone meeting her but me, was my birthday. I called her around 8 that morning to see what was really going on but she didn't answer.

Bea calls back later that day posted:

I told her she should have called me and that I wanted to hear her voice and hear from her what was going on since my son gets confused. I then asked her if this was a mental or physical issue, and she went silent before saying physical. I asked of she was sure,
Yes, Bea, I know the doctors say you're sick and you're literally admitted to the hospital, but I saw one episode of House, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the diagnosis and called you in the hospital for an interrogation about what's really happening. Also, I can't believe you didn't return my call immediately while in the hospital, so rude.

...It goes on for several thousand more words, but I'm sure you get the concept.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for yelling at my dad?

quote:

I (16M) have been scared of my dad for a long time. He's a great dad, I love him, but every so often he shows a totally different side. When he's stressed he'll tell at you for ages for doing anything, even if you aren't the one making him stressed. Me, my mum and my sibling have all experienced this many times throughout our lives.

We've had a cat for years now. My dad's the only one who doesn't like her, because he doesn't find her cute and she causes trouble. Since we got her, most of my dad's outbursts have been directed at her because she's usually done something wrong. It's nice because I feel safe from my dad's anger, but he's started saying his mental health is bad because of the cat, despite this being a problem long before we got her.

Recently he called a family meeting and started saying that we had to get rid of the cat because it was too stressful for him. My mum argued for the cat, and I didn't have to say a word, but I was really stressed out by the argument and started crying (I tried not to but failed). It didn't help that my dad kept describing things that apparently he'd done because of the cat (crying, hiding in his room, etc.) which were all things I'd done because of him. All the pressure got to me and I just burst, saying everything I said above. My dad left the room wordlessly right after and I heard him and my mum arguing for an hour or two through the door afterwards.

The next day my dad stopped me to talk, we were alone this time. He opened with "you hurt my feelings" and then said that he thought I was just interpreting his stern voice as yelling and misremembered those times he yelled at me. He also said that I needed to be yelled at those times (e.g: there was a while where I was being bullied, and stopped talking and got really low self-esteem. I opened up to my dad about this and he yelled at me for "being too negative". He said seeing me in a bad place really stressed him out, and that he needed to snap me out of it.)

I got mad and argued with him again because it felt like he was still not listening and blaming others for his problems, but now I'm not sure if I really was overreacting. AITA?
I had to yell at you because you being bullied reflects poorly on me and that's your fault.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Kurieg posted:

I had to yell at you because you being bullied reflects poorly on me and that's your fault.

That's textbook abuse and it breaks my heart how the kid still describes him as a "great dad."

I had to use a pretty loud voice once since my 3 year old ran into a crowded parking lot and I needed her to stop immediately since there were several cars driving close and her face just crushed me since I could tell I scared her

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Kurieg posted:

Ha! The first time I came home and told my mom about a girl at school being mean to me, which was a new thing for me at 7, she snapped,”Can’t you stop being so negative.” And that when I learned that I can’t ask for help with problems from anyone.

What I mean is, that dad can go gently caress himself, expecting the child to be mature enough to handle their own poo poo when he freaks out all the goddamned time about the littlest annoyance.

Sorry for random capitalizations. iPhone.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

hawowanlawow posted:

assholes are all so similar to each other

Cuz they all have brown eyes :haw:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I(25m) might have destroyed my friendship with my friend (25m) over a stupid comment at his wedding.

quote:

I(25m) became friends with Noah (25m) sophomore year of high school. We became pretty much inseparable and did everything together. After high school we both graduated to the same college where we became roommates.

Noah met Cleo(24f) at a party our junior year and they started dating. They got engaged last July and had a huge wedding on Saturday with around 200 guests. The ceremony and venue was beautiful and I couldn’t be happier for them. The reception was great and I had a lot of fun drinking, talking to friends and seeing my buddy happy. After a while it was time to give speeches and Noah’s dad gave a beautiful speech. Everyone got teary and I could see how happy Noah was. I was kinda tipsy and thought that I should go next so I went up after him and took the microphone.

For some background info; Cleo is a black woman (will be important later) who grew up in the rough part of our area with a single mom. Noah comes from a family with money and has always dated women in the same social class. Cleo is insanely beautiful and there’s no doubt that Noah loves her. In the beginning of their relationship I used to tease him about dating a gold digger and when we’d first seen Cleo at the party Noah kept staring at her and I (thinking she was one of the strippers hired for the party) told him and some other friends that we should get a lap dance from her. It was all just jokes and Noah never seemed to take offense to it.

Back to the wedding, my speech started off good and everyone was smiling and laughing. This is the part where I might have ruined the friendship: I made a joke about how we’d thought she was a stripper when we first met her. I also made a stupid comment about how Noah used to only date girls money but I won’t go into detail about that. I got some awkward laughs but it was mostly quiet. I tried saving it with another terrible joke and finished my speech with “This toast is to getting out of the hood and into a rich guy’s pants. People laughed and I thought I had saved it.

Noah later pulled me aside saying I embarrassed Cleo and made it seem like he was marrying some cheap hooker. He also called me a racist for my comment about getting out of the hood and saying he only used to date girls with money and class(which he took as me saying white women) I’ve been friends with Noah for 10 years and I don’t wanna throw away our friendship over a stupid comment I made when drunk. I want to text him and explain myself but my gf told me to give them space? Should I go to Noah’s place? I feel like it will be better if we talk face to face.

*tapping my fork against my fifth empty wineglass to get everyone's attention*

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Dude you hosed up

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Foo Diddley posted:

I(25m) might have destroyed my friendship with my friend (25m) over a stupid comment at his wedding.

Just the one, huh?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Cringed out of my skin reading that, also seems like some random speech he gave and not the best man’s speech?

quote:

I was kinda tipsy and thought that I should go next so I went up after him and took the microphone.

My best man called me impotent and told everyone I have a small dick, but he didn’t take shots at my wife other than wondering aloud why she would marry such a tool. If this was just some person at the wedding giving a random speech then my god lmao

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father gave a speech complaining about how much they spent in medical bills when I was sick as a kid and calling my ex-wife a box of candy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You know, I've never had to give a speech at a wedding, or any kind of real speech anywhere, but if I did, I for sure would have practiced it non-stop and would try my best not to insult anyone who I'm supposed to be honoring. I'm such a killjoy.

I'm honestly surprised there wasn't some kind of racist bigot word thrown in there for good measure.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I know you haven’t been in the thread for very long but please don’t do this.

Would it be ok to say something like " I feel like if you're a single woman with two kids who only makes $30k a year then you also don't get to be choosy about whether you want to get married. " ?
Because i just heard essentially that in a thread that loves to chant "death to landlords" when a guy didn't want to pay seventy percent of his girlfriends mortgage, and no one said a peep.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Would it be ok to say something like " I feel like if you're a single woman with two kids who only makes $30k a year then you also don't get to be choosy about whether you want to get married. " ?
Because i just heard essentially that in a thread that loves to chant "death to landlords" when a guy didn't want to pay seventy percent of his girlfriends mortgage, and no one said a peep.

I mean, you're quoting me (about the guy, not your genderbend) and it was mostly because it was still like 1/3 of what his rent was about to be and he was bringing two kids along. And neither of them wanted to be married, it wasn't about him being forced to get married or anything, so I'm sorry if it came off as me suggesting he should be forced to get married to have housing or whatever. To be honest that one was a bit of a complex problem, it sounds like they just weren't right for each other.

Like, is the argument here that she should be housing him for free? Her offer was $700 which was a lot lower than the $1800 he'll be paying to rent with her out of the picture. The reason I think the marriage thing is iffy because at least with marriage, you are legally tied to each other and supporting your partner financially makes more sense, since your finances and your life are shared. If neither person wants to marry then I feel like the expectations are lowered. (I also think people who refuse to marry are kind of weird overall. I had friends who got married in their early 20s because both of them had health scares and couldn't support each other in the hospital without being legally married. They had a wedding 6 years later when they felt like they could afford one/invite all their friends to celebrate their union.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for telling my sister it's her own fault she's alienated from the family?

quote:

I am one of three siblings: 29F, 27F (me), and 22M.

This all started about five years ago, when my older sister came to me and told me she was looking into our genealogy and wanted me to do one of those novelty genetics tests. I wasn't enthusiastic about it, but she was weirdly insistent, so I gave her the samples she asked for and moved on, not really giving it much more thought. At no point did I have a digital login for any results. I also never thought to mention this to my parents.

A few months after this, Sister moved six hours away for another job and was noncommunicative. She would call Dad every once in a while, but Brother and I found that if we didn't call/text her first, we wouldn't hear from her, and she basically cut Mom off outright. When questioned about this, she would refuse to acknowledge that's what she was doing. Ultimately, we all just accepted it. Mom was totally baffled and broken hearted, and the rest of us naturally became less close with Sister as a result. Even she and Dad only talk a few times a year now, and none of us have seen her in person in five years.

Earlier this year, Brother did 23AndMe and got weird results that led to hard conversations. Mom and Dad came clean that the three of us were donor conceived, a choice they made because Dad is infertile. They apologized for not telling us earlier, but Dad felt strongly about not telling us because he never wanted us to think of him as any less our dad.

Dad called Sister and told her this too after we talked, and she basically had a breakdown on the phone. It turns out that she knew Dad wasn't her bio father, and firmly believed for five years that Mom had cheated on Dad and had been nursing intense resentments as a result.

Apparently she did a genetics test five years ago and was puzzled that the ancestry info didn't match with what we knew about Dad's family. That's when she came to me to get a sample. She sent it to a lab with hers, and they confirmed the results were genetic half-siblings, with the same mother and different fathers. She drew her own conclusions from there (that dad was my bio-father and not hers, and that Mom had had an affair) and uprooted her life to get a fresh start.

She's now furious about the situation and feels like she's been robbed of the last five years. When we last talked, I was maybe less sympathetic than I should have been and told her cutting us off with no explanation was an insane move, and if she'd told us even a fraction of what was going on, it could have been cleared up years ago. I acknowledged Mom and Dad messed up here by not being truthful about our genetic identities (which I'm also struggling with my own feelings on), but in the end, it was her decision to do this dramatic move and slow fade with zero explanation. I also expressed how hurt Brother and I had been to be left out of her life, and that it wasn't fair to punish us for what she thought had happened. AITA?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
pages ago but it strikes me funny that the symbol for this is spread legs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I was talking about "Hey, what if we flipped the genders in this story?" not the rest of it.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was talking about "Hey, what if we flipped the genders in this story?" not the rest of it.

No i got your meaning. I just think that feels dismissive, although I know it may be to try to stop bad faith arguments and devils advocates.

WaywardWoodwose fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Hey i get it, I think they should break up too, but it still feels mean as poo poo to say things like that in a relationship with the kind of power imbalance like one person making four times as much as the other.