Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

BeAuMaN posted:

Who is asking for games longer than one hour?!?!?

the same people that I was complaining about playing arc on hard who bought into the no gas groupthink
and no an hour long game is not reasonable the other day I rolled a top tier team and we blitzed an veteran arc in 25 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think people just like faffing about and building stupid bases.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
i mean, an hour should be long enough but it's pretty annoying to be playing and then get disconnected, especially near the end of a long match.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Good News: They put out another patch, which fixes some softlocks/crashes, but also makes it so loadouts no longer reset :toot:

GruntyThrst posted:

My only problem with the hour time limit was that the game didn’t tell you about it beforehand. Otherwise it’s a perfectly reasonable game length.
:agreed:

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

the same people that I was complaining about playing arc on hard who bought into the no gas groupthink
and no an hour long game is not reasonable the other day I rolled a top tier team and we blitzed an veteran arc in 25 minutes
:hmmyes:

Ardent Communist posted:

i mean, an hour should be long enough but it's pretty annoying to be playing and then get disconnected, especially near the end of a long match.
I think the correct answer is a time limit would, from a narrative standpoint, be based around the majority of the hive gathering and approaching. Therefore, maybe the game shouldn't shut down after an hour, but should instead just increase the bugs a lot more the closer it gets, even beyond the 5-tiered swarm rating. If too many bugs on screen is an issue, then just have high arc plasma shots come from invisible attackers from way off screen. Could be something they could do later in development. Except maybe drop the "max" game length to 45 minutes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I really wish there was a mode with the length of AAS mode but the resource scarcity of ARC mode. ARC is too long even when people aren't stretching it out because teams feel aimless and mostly interested in building wall mazes that will get broken through immediately when you gas up, but AAS just giving you the resources to slap down every single structure on every available tile takes a lot of oomph out of base building.

My other two top wishlist items are text chat and better contextual pings so that I can indicate "poo poo is happening here" in some way other than spamming pings and hoping someone catches on.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 1, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BeAuMaN posted:

Good News: They put out another patch, which fixes some softlocks/crashes, but also makes it so loadouts no longer reset :toot:

:agreed:

:hmmyes:

I think the correct answer is a time limit would, from a narrative standpoint, be based around the majority of the hive gathering and approaching. Therefore, maybe the game shouldn't shut down after an hour, but should instead just increase the bugs a lot more the closer it gets, even beyond the 5-tiered swarm rating. If too many bugs on screen is an issue, then just have high arc plasma shots come from invisible attackers from way off screen. Could be something they could do later in development. Except maybe drop the "max" game length to 45 minutes.

The basic problem with ARC, at least on veteran, really is that it's a lot easier to not die than it is to actually win. I don't think that I've ever had a base die at level 5 outside of a single game where the spawn point wigged out and dropped over 100 meters away from the ARC and wound up being spawn camped. Most of the time the team doing badly just means a 40-50 minute long game where one or two squads try to complete the objectives while everyone else is just sitting around the base building an unnavigable wall maze.

Adding an actual plasma bug projectile that just kills the ARC instantly at a certain point would be a great change.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I guess nobody here is on the discord eh? lousy alpha testers..

Here's the roadmap.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1045094327438823464/1113875025204883556/Roadmap.png

looks like a pretty good progression to me. the base game is fun enough for me to feel i got monies worth anyways.

Ardent Communist fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 1, 2023

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Phase 2 includes a horde game mode, manned hmg emplacements, and a new zone on malaka map. plus mutators (more info soon?) and stats.
phase 3 is supposed to have class progression 2.0, abilities upgrade, hives, rewards systems and special weapon swapping.

Couple more phases are planned after that but i can't be arsed to type it all out.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Global Death Counter at Phase 5? Why not sooner?

Hawke
May 1, 2008
If they add the death counter before they add deadlier bugs then the death counter won't be accurate (just like our soldiers).

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Oscar aint no Slouch fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 1, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Downs:

Hunters: 200,000

Bastions: 300,000

Operators: 600,000

Deaths:

Operators: 150,000

VVV This was mostly a joke about Operators never reviving anyone but themselves.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 1, 2023

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Downs:

Deaths:

Nah, it'd be better if it was like in the movie, a little tv news blurb at the bottom that has all the troopers that are dying constantly going up.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ardent Communist posted:

Nah, it'd be better if it was like in the movie, a little tv news blurb at the bottom that has all the troopers that are dying constantly going up.

Thats why I suggested it come sooner, so we can see the number of dead troopers rise in real time :v:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ardent Communist posted:

Phase 2 includes a horde game mode, manned hmg emplacements, and a new zone on malaka map. plus mutators (more info soon?) and stats.
phase 3 is supposed to have class progression 2.0, abilities upgrade, hives, rewards systems and special weapon swapping.

Couple more phases are planned after that but i can't be arsed to type it all out.

Mutators is probably like mutations in Back 4 Blood. EG some bugs have armor or explode causing damage.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

widespread posted:

Global Death Counter at Phase 5? Why not sooner?
They probably don't want players measuring activity from EA to Phase 5. That's why a lot of games don't tell you how many players are online anymore.

Edit: Though I guess considering it's a Steam Only release, that doesn't matter these days given Steam charts.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 1, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Downs:

Deaths:

VVV This was mostly a joke about Operators never reviving anyone but themselves.

You forgot to make the Downs and Deaths for Hunters 0, because they can avoid all threat with the jump-pack :v:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

You forgot to make the Downs and Deaths for Hunters 0, because they can avoid all threat with the jump-pack :v:

Tell me you've only played easy difficulty without telling me you've only played easy difficulty.

But yeah, apart from the gunner instagibs when they spawn out of LOS or while you're reloading, you're not wrong.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The global death counter is planned for the same update as the broader war metagame, which makes sense.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The key to Infinite Survival as a Hunter is sticking to the ground like everyone else but using the jump-pack to hop over obstacles whenever enemies are near you, or to take odd paths away from enemy spawns when you're running to evac. At least until they add bugs that can climb things players can't it's a "nope, not gonna die" button on a 10 second cooldown.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'd be interested to see their anticipated timeline with regard to the roadmap releases

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

How not to build a base when you are the team that has guns:

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I loving hate sightlines. I had a sightline once and it was awful

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Bugs are scary, I don't wanna see 'em.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm the bunker that aims at walls

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Have to use all that ore!

Then still not start the ARC even when every building is placed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GruntyThrst posted:

How not to build a base when you are the team that has guns:

The square with the short walls is my favorite part. Rimworld-rear end build

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

The square with the short walls is my favorite part. Rimworld-rear end build

I think that's a terrible build but also I'm a fan of those short walls. The bugs can be decently distracted by them and they can make a great backstop to a wall going down while still preserving sightlines.
Of course, also this is more to deal with bad building decisions by pubbies. Currently leveling hunter... I just got out of a ACS (or whatever the non-resource gathering mode is) round and while the extraction was great (buttery smooth; great cover and teamwork; landing location wasn't too close but wasn't too far either and was fairly defensible), the base building was meh. There was a short tunnel where you ABSOLUTELY ALWAYS put a bunker on one side of because a full wall has no sight lines at all to shoot the bugs behind it. But they had already used all four bunkers, so someone built a wall, meaning there was no sight lines on the attacking bugs.

So I went and built some short walls 3 deep behind it, and while the wall came down repeatedly, the short walls helped slow down the bugs enough... More specifically... there was terrain on the side that couldn't be built on, so they went around the walls, but what's important is they all went around the wall in the same direction, together, in a nice clump to be blown up by grenades and rockets, until someone rebuilt the wall again. Some of them were distracted by the short walls and chewed on those and they were mown down easily.

If I had brought Bastion with some electric beacons it would have been perfect for stunning all those bugs swarming but alas leveling that hunter.

The best part about short walls is if a pubbie does some dumb poo poo with them they aren't going to affect sightlines. At worst they're mostly harmless and at best they're nice speedbumps. And they're incredibly cheap (50 minerals iirc)

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

For Hunter, I'm convinced ammo frabicator is the best utility at least for base defense. Get a rocket launcher, find a high point, ammo, spam.
Railing seems to give good cover against gunners too, at least from low angles.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Ammo fab is real hard to give up for sure, however useful the beacons are during the defense. Hunter's value is in having the positioning and mobility to usually actually do something about grenadiers faster than anyone else, and that ammo sustain is just necessary. Wish the jump packs had juuust a little more forward momentum, though.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Fishstick posted:

Ammo fab is real hard to give up for sure, however useful the beacons are during the defense. Hunter's value is in having the positioning and mobility to usually actually do something about grenadiers faster than anyone else, and that ammo sustain is just necessary. Wish the jump packs had juuust a little more forward momentum, though.

There's this one base location... it's on the corner of a cliff. It's the one where the.... south side? has a ramp that goes down, turns, and goes down, and has a stair that leads to walkway/railing that oversees past a wall. Anyhow, there's this tower that's really great for Hunter to get up into. Usually takes 2 or 3 jumps. The reason is a grenadier will definitely spawn in this area where there's a blindspot from two sides of the base's defense, and when that's not spawning you get plenty of opportunity to rain down rockets on other areas. It's stuff like that where hunter is great.

Still need my level 11 so I can get my sniper because while carbine is okay it's only okay for close range, and rocket isn't guaranteed.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

BeAuMaN posted:

Railing seems to give good cover against gunners too, at least from low angles.

Going to emphasize this again. It's dumb how extremely effective railing is at giving cover from gunners while not blocking your rocket launcher shots. At least from higher locations.
Between a high location without railing but a perfect view, and a high location with railing but a less perfect view, I'd go with the latter.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having only played Hunter and gotten up to Scan Beacons, imo you're in the best position to use them. You're faster so you can place them further out during base defenses and can get away safely after doing so.

The fact I even need to make an argument, really feels like ammo fabs are just too good lol. That said I like that it encourages squads to diversify their loadouts, as long as someone else has ammo fab I'd rather just take scan beacons because 2x damage and highlights is just so drat good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

Having only played Hunter and gotten up to Scan Beacons, imo you're in the best position to use them. You're faster so you can place them further out during base defenses and can get away safely after doing so.

The fact I even need to make an argument, really feels like ammo fabs are just too good lol. That said I like that it encourages squads to diversify their loadouts, as long as someone else has ammo fab I'd rather just take scan beacons because 2x damage and highlights is just so drat good.

Ammo fabs are good but there is definitely a critical mass for them. You really only need one or two at a point since the base is where you are going to be really refilling your ammo and supplies, and as a result if you run ammo on every single person you're really going to get smacked.

Imo it was a bit of a mistake to give all classes ammo, it should have been just one. Maybe the Bastion, since he is so focused around dakka dakka while ops are more for healing? Something to give each class a key support role and make them more distinct.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ammo fabs are good but there is definitely a critical mass for them. You really only need one or two at a point since the base is where you are going to be really refilling your ammo and supplies, and as a result if you run ammo on every single person you're really going to get smacked.

Imo it was a bit of a mistake to give all classes ammo, it should have been just one. Maybe the Bastion, since he is so focused around dakka dakka while ops are more for healing? Something to give each class a key support role and make them more distinct.

I do sort of agree, but at the same time I appreciate the flexibility that two classes can get it early while the third needs to wait a while. Healing is a bit undervalued atm is what I felt so Operators just bring ammo anyway, even if Hunters benefit more from being able to put it in high places while they fire down.

At this point I'm waiting for a significant update before playing again to not get burned out, and see how things get changed up.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

BeAuMaN posted:

Going to emphasize this again. It's dumb how extremely effective railing is at giving cover from gunners while not blocking your rocket launcher shots. At least from higher locations.
Between a high location without railing but a perfect view, and a high location with railing but a less perfect view, I'd go with the latter.

https://i.imgur.com/6rMmp29.mp4

Almost feels like cheating but gunners can go suck a nuke

Evil Kit posted:

I do sort of agree, but at the same time I appreciate the flexibility that two classes can get it early while the third needs to wait a while. Healing is a bit undervalued atm is what I felt so Operators just bring ammo anyway, even if Hunters benefit more from being able to put it in high places while they fire down.

It doesn't help that the early healing option requires you to run up to someone and syringe them at melee range, which is incredibly clunky.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 9, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Even with marksman rifle, still convinced Hunter is best on a building across from the base:

Though xp wise I think if you get even one bit of damage on a creature you get credit for the kill.

I think the best Hunter loadout (not including when you plan with a competent group) is
Hawkeye Rifle, Emancipator Pistol, Ammo Fab, Chem Grenade, Syynthetic Underarmor (melee resist), and Extra grenade.
Always spam chem grenade once it's done on cooldown.

Having a hunter or two across from the base in a tall building with rails so they can quickly snipe enemies has been a great strat. It also makes it easier to shoot bugs who make it to the walls. Even without rocket launcher it's great.

Fishstick posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6rMmp29.mp4

Almost feels like cheating but gunners can go suck a nuke
Basically. However the big thing is you also draw aggro.

I had an AAS game where we were advancing, and so before the next objective started I popped on a building with rails. Then 3 patrols spawn or whatever.

I was further ahead than the rest of the group, so swarm is spawning in spades running towards them while I plink at them with the marksman rifle. I aggro'd like 5 or 6 of those gunners at the same time... just sitting there trying to hit me behind my Super Rail. This made them easy to pick off for myself and the team.

Amendment: These suggestions are made from mostly playing on normal. Most of this is accurate for Veteran as well, but weapon rankings might change some due to the higher bug hp changing the burst damage potential of the higher end weapons.
So... having played through all the classes now, I think as far as game improvements go:
1.) Primary Weapon wise, Nade Launcher > Marksman Rifle > Machine Gun > Carbine > Rifle. Assuming they don't want the unlock weapons to be straight upgrades, they should buff both the Rifle and the Carbine to fit some purpose. Rifle does pitiful damage; Carbine is slightly better because of more stagger and high rof but still not great.
2.) Lotta grenades need to be buffed. Cluster Grenade I'd say is the worst, but basically every grenade that isn't Chem Grenade, Napalm Grenade, or Scan Grenade is not a good pick.
3.) As far as utility, Ammo Fabs are indispensable and Shock & Scan Beacons remain king. I agree healing utility needs to be buffed. I think get rid of healing beacons unless they revive people; Medical stations should maybe have one charge of healing UAV or something to promote strategic placement. Not sure what to do about First Aid Stims; maybe get rid of them or give more of them. Thermo charges and nuclear det packs are not very useful. I know they don't want to have utility throwable but Thermo should be throwable. Det pack could have an arming time but then remote trigger, or maybe have give more of them (but they'd probably be used to troll). Bug Mines shouldn't trigger for drones.
4.) Grenades should throw faster, or possibly not interrupt reloads (i.e. like how knives don't interrupt reloads). In a run and gun situation if I'm throwing a nade it could often be because I just finished emptying my mag. Fuckers take forever to pull out and toss, and if I'm mid reload I've lost all progress on reloading.
5.) Get rid of invincible railing. Also make other chest high cover less useless for firing from higher locations with cover from. Like part of the reason I went to railing is if you get that thick chest high concrete cover, you can't shoot down from a higher location, even it was clearly meant to be used that way. I'd say make this stuff destructible but I imagine they don't want to deal with that nonsense resource wise. If they can't nail the physics of the cover and gunner quite close enough because of reasons, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of reduced damage or something granted by setpieces that give cover if you're within a close enough range, but giving less actual cover from bullets.
6.) Magazine Bandolier should give more mags generally. Extended mag is always better because not only does it extend the magazine but it usually gives you just as much or more ammo than Magazine Bandolier.
7.) Bloodlust is probably useless? Haven't tested it yet, other than Hunters are pretty squishy, even with melee resist perk. And I can't imagine taking both melee resist and Bloodlust for your precious two perk slots. Not going to be good unless we're getting some better melee weapons, which I doubt we would.
8.) The bugs have a weird response to either stagger or stun, where they just completely move in like a sidestep or something without much animation. Even the big Plasma bugs will do this. Needs to be fixed; if the warrior bugs are supposed to do this on purpose, then they should have a better animation showing that they're dodging in response to gun fire. Plasma bugs should maybe get a bit of slowdown but shouldn't move at all from bullets.
9.) You shouldn't lose all of your extraction xp because you died or were left behind during extraction. I mean sometimes some people deserve it but generally it promotes a lot of gently caress you got mine gameplay (though it is a fascist future...).
10.) Game maybe needs a pre-game lobby? With everyone's classes and loadouts? or mid-game class switching? If joining a game in progress, give you time while loading to select class/loadout while looking at everyone else's class/loadout?

Actually y'know here's a random thought on stim packs: Give them to Hunter. Hunter can have the clumsy stim pack as a utility option because it's like a "cross class" healing thing, so Operators get their UAV poo poo to heal people easily. However, it would allow Hunters to swoop in on people and stab-revive them. I'm not sure how many people as Hunter would choose Stim Pack over Ammo Fab or Beacons, but it'd be neat watching Hunters swooping in and stabbing people back to life. Maybe Hunters shouldn't have ammo fab?

That's most of the stuff that comes to mind now as far as improving the game.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 15, 2023

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Bloodlust you use on drones because it's really a Hunter's only health-sustain. It's also worded really strangely because it actually buffs your health regen for a few seconds instead of being a flat heal. And it seems to stack?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I'm not sure I get the point of the SAW. You chew through ammo, with only marginal gains on bugs killed. The Morita is best in class, and the reload time on the SAW seems to make the Morita a much more efficient bug killer, even when they're right on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm not sure I get the point of the SAW. You chew through ammo, with only marginal gains on bugs killed. The Morita is best in class, and the reload time on the SAW seems to make the Morita a much more efficient bug killer, even when they're right on you.

Definitely more of a support weapon than a solo use weapon. Have been playing mostly hard for majority of my playtime, most guns do feel like they could use some balancing. How frequently did they update Squad? IE will we be waiting 2 years for another map?