Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yep. boring to play out, on a "real" environment we'd eventually chase it down and kill it or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is it possible to make pilots not count towards initiative in megamek? If this was megamek I'd 100% be squishing the KOed pilot for +1xp, because the enemy never actually retreats so war crimes help fix initiative sinks like immobile vehicles and pilots running around.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ilmucche posted:

Is it possible to make pilots not count towards initiative in megamek? If this was megamek I'd 100% be squishing the KOed pilot for +1xp, because the enemy never actually retreats so war crimes help fix initiative sinks like immobile vehicles and pilots running around.

there's an "ejected pilots automatically flee" which works great for pickup games and might require a little extra bookkeeping for a campaign?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Over The Hills: Turn 10

Mike permitted himself a small smile as he watched the pirates begin to rout. Without the Cicada and Commando to act as heavy support the Prowlers’ defensive line had rapidly collapsed. Tanks and infantry could be deadly in the right environment, but battlemechs were the kings of the battlefield, and Ruby Lance had four to the pirates’ one. The infantry on the ridge stubbornly continued to hold out, but they were alone and unsupported. As things stood, it was only a matter of time before they were wiped out.

“Hold fire, people,” Mike broadcast. “Let’s see if we can get these poor fools to stand down.” He cleared his throat, switched his Vulcan’s external speakers on and did his best to sound intimidating.

“Attention pirate forces! We have shattered your defences and overrun your positions. Your best soldiers now lie broken and bleeding at our feet. Further resistance is pointless. Throw down your weapons and surrender, and you will be treated as prisoners of war. Continue to fight, and you will die screaming in agony.” He triggered his Vulcan’s flamer for emphasis.

“Wow, boss,” Anna said, sounding taken aback. “You sound like a supervillain. Aren’t you laying it on a bit thick?”

“No, it’s perfect,” Tsing chimed in. “Brutality is the only thing pirates understand. See? They’re already giving up.”

Sure enough, one of the troopers on the ridge clambered out of his foxhole, tossed his rifle on the ground and raised his hands in surrender. A second quickly followed, then a third. Within half a minute the entire squad had surrendered. The damaged Galleon also slewed to a halt, its two crewmen scrambling out of the top hatch before laying on the ground with their hands on their heads. Only the Stinger refused to submit. The little mech’s jump jets flared as it leapt backwards, soaring over the woods before dropping out of sight behind the rear slope of the ridge.

“The Stinger is running. Do we pursue?” Anna asked.

Mike pursed his lips and stared after the Stinger. They could catch the little bastard if they wanted – the Yeoung brothers’ Locusts could easily outrun it – but there were more pressing matters to attend to. “Negative. We were sent out here to gather intel, and letting that jumpy punk lead us on a wild goose chase won’t help with that. Concentrate on securing the base and rounding up the prisoners. The info we’ll gain from interrogating them will be worth far more than a lone Stinger.”

Weapons fire for Jenner JR7-F (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Vulcan VL-5T (Player):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) #2 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

-No melee attacks this turn!

Jenner JR7-F (Player) gains 5 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Locust LCT-3V (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Vulcan VL-5T (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) flees the battlefield!

Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers) surrenders!

Foot Platoon (Laser) (Prowlers) surrenders!

Foot Platoon (Laser) #2 (Prowlers) surrenders!

N/A

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Sprint: Infantry can move two hexes in one turn in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Dig In: Infantry can dig in, removing the defence penalty for being caught in the open.

Primary Objectives:
-Capture Pirate Base (8/8 Enemies Destroyed / Driven Off): Complete!

That’s a wrap! Well done, players. You all did an excellent job. I hope everyone now understands why Narrow Profile is a game-changer. I tried to compensate by fielding some bigger guns, but the units they were attached to weren’t tough enough to endure sustained firepower for very long. Ruby Lance’s speed advantage, plus my always losing initiative meant I was perpetually in danger of being outflanked and always on the backfoot. I now understand why PoptartsNinja gives himself Ace units and a BV-superior OpFor to compensate – without them, the players will nearly always win by turning the fight into a battle of manoeuvre.

I’ll get the after action report written up ASAP. While I’m doing that, please vote for this mission’s MVPs. Obviously the overall MVP is the Narrow Profile quirk, but please vote in runners-up for both the players and OpFor!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

gg team!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Good work, team, that was fun! Thanks scintilla!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

player MVP vote: the Jenner, for the nice early crit on the Cicada, and getting successful shots on pretty much target it engaged with
enemy MVP vote: the Commando, for being a threat that players always had to stay conscious of and maneuver around (until it was time to swarm and murder it)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

biosterous posted:

player MVP vote: the Jenner, for the nice early crit on the Cicada, and getting successful shots on pretty much target it engaged with
enemy MVP vote: the Commando, for being a threat that players always had to stay conscious of and maneuver around (until it was time to swarm and murder it)

This

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This was pretty harrowing as a very first bt play for me, but it was pretty awesome!! Gg team

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

opfor is definitely the commando. stayed in dangerous positions and scored the only serious damage of the fight for the pirates. that engine hit is going to be expensive, and probably saved the crew of the galleon from dying in an explosion

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

biosterous posted:

Looks good.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Great job everyone! Teamwork was the real MVP (after Narrow Profile) as we individually didn't have enough firepower to 1v1 equally mobile OPFOR without it dragging on forever. For whoever is piloting the next mission - remember these wolf pack tactics apply just as much to heavy brawls as they do here. Gang up on one target until it's not a threat.

But as for choosing individuals I agree with the rest of the posters, Mirage and COM for MVP both for scoring the impactful hits that changed the flow of battle.

I can't believe we made it out with only one exposed armor location!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

Great job everyone! Teamwork was the real MVP (after Narrow Profile) as we individually didn't have enough firepower to 1v1 equally mobile OPFOR without it dragging on forever. For whoever is piloting the next mission - remember these wolf pack tactics apply just as much to heavy brawls as they do here. Gang up on one target until it's not a threat.

But as for choosing individuals I agree with the rest of the posters, Mirage and COM for MVP both for scoring the impactful hits that changed the flow of battle.

I can't believe we made it out with only one exposed armor location!

endorsed

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Over The Hills: After Action Report

Another successful mission! Once again, the players did very well for themselves.

Ruby lance emerges from the battle almost unscathed. Narrow Profile really helped out here, as I suspected it would. The Jenner eating an engine crit is unfortunate, since it’ll cost over 100,000 C-Bills to repair, but these things happen sometimes. The Locusts used up some Machine Gun ammunition, but I probably won’t bother to reload them just yet – they have plenty left, and the less MG ammo a mech carries, the safer it is. None of the pilots have taken any hits, so nobody needs to spend any time in the infirmary.

MegaMek failed to credit both the Commando and Cicada kills because they were destroyed due to their pilots ejecting. I’m giving the Commando kill to the Jenner since it swept the leg, and the Cicada to the Vulcan because it scored the hip crit that finally caused it to fall over.

Not pictured: the forty or so individual soldiers from Christine and Victor’s squads, whom I have edited out to make the list a bit more readable. Special props go to Rebecca Southern, who somehow survived her Scorpion getting obliterated by three quarters of Ruby Lance shooting it at once. She’s pretty messed up with five wounds, though.

We’ve got a bit more salvage to pick over this time. Here’s a more in-depth look.

One of our techs, Sadonobu Muto, has the Mechanics skill, allowing him to repair or dismantle combat vehicles. You might not particularly want the Galleons or the Scorpion, but their components and ammunition can be stripped out and put to use elsewhere, so it might be worth salvaging them anyway.

Also, a quick note on infantry units. When you salvage an infantry squad, it acts like an empty container that you can then hire soldiers to fill. Think of it as recovering all of the defeated soldiers equipment – weapons, body armour, etc – which you can then use to outfit your own troops. Personally, I don’t recommend recruiting infantry this early in the campaign, especially not basic laser squads. Jump Infantry and Anti-Mech Infantry can be lethal in the right situation, but for now standard infantry will just be a drain on the company’s limited resources. Of course, if you guys really want to recruit some footsloggers I won’t stop you…

--

Salvage Vote
Which units should Sterling and Sable salvage? Please indicate whether the units should be Repaired, Sold, or Stripped for parts. The company’s current salvage ratio is 44% / 60%.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Good salvage, the question now is if the Cicada should be salvaged or if it should just get stripped for gear like the PPC for replacement parts.

While the Commando is neat it's also extremely lightly armored to cram in all that weaponry, might also be a good thing to strip.

One note of interest is that neither of the mech's engines are damaged so that's neat.

The rest of the stuff isn't very interesting so i'd just strip/sell the rest.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Take nothing, free up salvage percentage for the future.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I love that the salvage portraits remain craters. Just imagining the salvage crews out there digging a rectangle out of the dirt and hauling a crater back to the mech yards.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I agree with this

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Unless there's particular weapons or components we need spare, I agree with this.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Having that cicada might be nice but I’m not going to make a huge argument for it

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yeah, nothing here seems super appealing (but also i am still very new to tabletop battletech), so unless someone makes a convincing argument i'm voting to take nothing. it'll be nice to no longer have salvage debt from the shadowhawk, and also nice to potentially have a buffer if something really nice comes up on a later mission

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The -3C is one of the best Cicada designs but Cicadas are bad so that just makes it kind of mediocre, let's wait for something good and take nothing for now.

Also machine gun ammo in your chest with only 4 tons of armor is just asking to blow yourself up, why are you putting machine guns on a sniper mech anyway this makes me angry. If we do end up picking it we just shouldn't bring any machine gun ammo at all

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 1, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Agreed with this. I think the only really interesting part is the Cicada PPC, but I'm pretty sure we can get it cheaper than 1b...

I also wanted the scorpion's ac5, but I'm also positive that we can get it for cheap somewhere else, and we'd have to buy ammo for it later as well...

So yeah, take nothing.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Choosing not to salvage anything is a perfectly valid option. Sometimes it's better to be picky and save your salvage % in case something better comes up in the next mission.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Stripping the vehicles of their weapons would be nice but, it's probably better to save our salvage for now. I don't think 1.5% of our salvage is worth getting our hands on an AC 5 with no ammo and a couple of lasers. And selling them is a terrible idea since they are collectively worth less than 100,000 C bills

Let's save it and hope we get something good next round. Even if there's nothing we want to take for ourselves hopefully we'll have something better to sell than cheap combat vehicles

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ac/5s loving suck

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They make for pretty good ballast.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Thought experiments on how to rebalance the various autocannons are pretty much a tradition in the Battletech community. Personally, I would reclass them as Light, Medium and Heavy Autocannons:

-Light AC: 5 damage, 24 hex max range, weighs 6 tons, takes up 2 crits, produces 1 heat, 20 shots per ton of ammo (Basically an AC/5 with an AC/2's tonnage and range)
-Medium AC: 10 damage, 15 hex max range, weighs 10 tons, takes up 6 crits, produces 3 heat, 10 shots per ton of ammo (An AC/10, but slightly lighter and takes up fewer crits)
-Heavy AC: 20 damage, 9 hex max range, weighs 14 tons, takes up 10 crits, produces 7 heat, 5 shots per ton of ammo (Unmodified AC/20)

As for the AC/2, I think I would re-class it as its own thing. It has a niche, unlike the current AC/5.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Just call it what it is: an anti-aircraft gun. Have its default weapon be flak.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Piell posted:

Also machine gun ammo in your chest with only 4 tons of armor is just asking to blow yourself up, why are you putting machine guns on a sniper mech anyway this makes me angry. If we do end up picking it we just shouldn't bring any machine gun ammo at all

To be fair, almost any ammo is a recipe to get blown up pre-CASE, and it doesn't really matter where it's located. I mean, if you have a LRM-20 with one ton of ammo or something you're probably OK, but assuming you have enough ammo to actually use the weapon throughout a fair-length fight, you're at risk of going boom to a critical.

The problem with MGs isn't so much that the ammo is deadly, it's that it's only deadly to you and to infantry, and that even a half-ton bin is so freaking much ammo that you can't possibly actually use it up. If a unit of MG ammo was like 10 shots per ton, it wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah 200 shots of mg being one ton sounds about right to me, but lol at only consuming one unit of it

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Personally I'd strip for parts the good Galleon just to start building up a pool of ML/SL spares on hand. The Scorpion's AC/5 could be picked off for a backup on the SHD as well.

The Commando is interesting, it might want to get a second look. It's only really missing a leg, everything else is just damaged. However, for Ruby Lance it could offer some long range fire with the LL. But it would be better put into Sable Lance to replace the STG-3G (2ML) at the cost of losing some jump capability.

What's the engine rating for the CDA and COM by the way? Do we have any units that use those engines or are they common ratings?

One big thing we need to do is build up a strong and deep logistical stockpile. We'll need gyros, engines, MLs and other things soon enough and buying them won't always be an option. Right now we got basically nothing but armor and ammo.

I don't think we'll get either 'Mechs unless their engines are really common but I'd double check before passing.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

What's the engine rating for the CDA and COM by the way? Do we have any units that use those engines or are they common ratings?

The Commando has a 150-rated engine that isn't used by anything the company currently has. The Cicada has a 280-rated engine that is compatible with Sterling's Warhammer.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The best "CASE" pre-Helm Memory Core is just to fire all your ammo before it has the chance to get hit.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Koorisch posted:

The best "CASE" pre-Helm Memory Core is just to fire all your ammo before it has the chance to get hit.

That sounds better than the worst-CASE scenario.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
You'd think you could just rule that MGs have 10 "shots" each built into the weight as external magazines or internal reservoirs, honestly. It's such a weird thing to have a situational backup weapon be such a deathtrap because nobody in Battletech can add anything to a mech in increments not measured at least fractionally in tons.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do the AC numbers correspond to anything real like caliber or are they totally abstract? Iirc the lasers are sized by beam diameter (ML is 50cm...?), in my mind I picture ac2 being 20mm, ac5 being 50 etc and this seems like it would line up well with their actual capability ie an ac20 is basically a short barrel howitzer, ac2 is an AA gun and so on

This breaks down somewhat when you get to LBX though

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Do the AC numbers correspond to anything real like caliber or are they totally abstract? Iirc the lasers are sized by beam diameter (ML is 50cm...?), in my mind I picture ac2 being 20mm, ac5 being 50 etc and this seems like it would line up well with their actual capability ie an ac20 is basically a short barrel howitzer, ac2 is an AA gun and so on

Autocannons get *weird* if you try to figure out the calibers because there's several types and they're all different sizes and firing modes.

For example: the General Motors Whirlwind is a AC/5 that is mounted on the Marauder mech, it fires 120mm shells in three round bursts.

Then you have the Armstrong J11 AC/5 which our Shadow Hawk should mount (unless it's a refit then who knows what model it has) that fires 80mm shells instead.

The Tomodzuru AC/20 has 200mm as it's caliber while the Deathgiver AC/20 fires 120mm shells instead.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Slavvy posted:

The numbers corroborate to how many 16th of a ton of standard armor they can destroy in a single volley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

forget all thoughts you have of making an ac/15 because you could headshot with it. what we need is an ac/16 so it can destroy exactly one ton of armour per volley