Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

SCheeseman posted:

My entire post was about using AI to fill gaps that have been traditionally procedural anyway, not using AI to optimize workflows to increase profit margins (the aforementioned completely justified doom and gloom). Christ people get so up their rear end about AI poo poo it makes them as dumb as the tech bros.

no this entire twitter thread is insane. One modder made a cool video as a proof of concept about stuff he did. A bluecheck tech dumbass pointed to it and said: look at what AI can do. Then the epic videogames are art podcaster jumped on it and started making random points and the replies are full of his hangers on talking about how skyrim was always bad and superior japanese game design folded 1000 times is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

no this entire twitter thread is insane. One modder made a cool video as a proof of concept about stuff he did. A bluecheck tech dumbass pointed to it and said: look at what AI can do. Then the epic videogames are art podcaster jumped on it and started making random points and the replies are full of his hangers on talking about how skyrim was always bad and superior japanese game design folded 1000 times is better.

ok. I guess I misread your post/angle? Sorry if that's the case.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
no its just dumbasses who have nothing to do with skyrim's modding wading into the muck to remind us peasants of what gaming should be in the future.

All the cool AI voice acting won't help if you are writing junk, and all the cool chatGPT AI isn't worth anything if you aren't connected to a server that is running the model. What got my goat was the idea that skyrim is a horrible game and modding things is a crutch(tm) that superior eastern games don't need.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's ChatGPT-like models that can run local (llama/alpaca) though they're still hard on GPUs. They aren't as good either, but they might not need to be. If all they need to do is take tokens given to it by the game and generate a naturalized sentence out of that data, the model isn't being asked to generate/hallucinate new information but to recontextualize what it's already been given. Even if it's still a bit stilted, it'd still be better than dialogue that is already generic barks or procedural the old fashioned way, and when writers want their big story moments to land they can exert more control.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 1, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah but unless its a japanese dev doing it then it's le geohell.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've done a couple quest/new land mods in my playthrough so I'd figure I'd give my thoughts on them:

Midwood Isle was solid for me, I do not regret it but I would not play it again. The island itself was not the most exciting to explore and the quests were just okay. The strongest things about the quests was that I was never unsure of where I was going or what I should do. There were a few neat set-pieces but I was ready to be done with the mod well before I was actually done with it. You get a follower named Tyrek who I really enjoyed, he was my favorite part of the mod. There are a couple Ayleid ruins which did give me some fun Oblivion nostalgia. My last thought is that I'm not sure if it's always the case or just the result of my particular mods but the Sun Elves were all ugly as gently caress.

Moonpath to Elsweyr was not enjoyable for me. It really shows it's age and being made before the Creation Kit came out you can't entirely hold it against the mod but it's still not the most fun. I don't know if I missed some dialogue but I definitely never felt like I understood why I was going anywhere or doing anything. It gets points for the varied environments even though those environments are just different rooms cells in what is really just a large dungeon. The wildlife was cool as well, that was another plus. I use Lucien a lot and was told that he has dialogue for Moonpath but unfortunately they never triggered for me and I have no idea why. So not exactly a knock on the mod but it was a downer for my experience overall.

Forgotten City was another solid experience for me. I really liked the concept, and getting to learn about the characters was interesting but I accidentally triggered an early ending to the quest so I didn't get to fully experience everything and did not want to restart to try to do something different. I am tempted to play the full game version at some point. Spoilers I did not have patience for the timeloop mechanic as it seemed like you needed to do a lot of steps each loop the same way so I was kind of glad for the early ending. I also have a bug where I randomly trigger NPCs to think my character stole something which isn't a big deal in the rest of my playthrough but was a REALLY big deal since that triggers the Dwarves Law in this case. If that wasn't constantly happening to me I might have tried to replay and get different endings

Clockwork was really cool to me. The shortest of these quest/new lands mods that I have played so far, it had some very effective (for me) creepy bits and the player house you get seems really cool. If I hadn't committed to Blackthorn Town being my home base I would consider moving to Clockwork Manor. The story was good in my opinion, my biggest issue was some of the maps are too big and open and hard to keep track of where you have been if you're like me and looking in every corner for gold. Again I really enjoyed the spooky creepy bits and while other people might think they were goofy I was in the right mindset to be legitimately creeped out at times. This one also probably had the best rewards of the mods I've listed if you count Clockwork Manor itself.

I've started Wyrmstooth and I'm very excited to continue it when I get the chance and I believe I have Beyond Skyrim-Bruma also installed.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Epi Lepi posted:

I've done a couple quest/new land mods in my playthrough so I'd figure I'd give my thoughts on them:

Midwood Isle was solid for me, I do not regret it but I would not play it again. The island itself was not the most exciting to explore and the quests were just okay. The strongest things about the quests was that I was never unsure of where I was going or what I should do. There were a few neat set-pieces but I was ready to be done with the mod well before I was actually done with it. You get a follower named Tyrek who I really enjoyed, he was my favorite part of the mod. There are a couple Ayleid ruins which did give me some fun Oblivion nostalgia. My last thought is that I'm not sure if it's always the case or just the result of my particular mods but the Sun Elves were all ugly as gently caress.

Moonpath to Elsweyr was not enjoyable for me. It really shows it's age and being made before the Creation Kit came out you can't entirely hold it against the mod but it's still not the most fun. I don't know if I missed some dialogue but I definitely never felt like I understood why I was going anywhere or doing anything. It gets points for the varied environments even though those environments are just different rooms cells in what is really just a large dungeon. The wildlife was cool as well, that was another plus. I use Lucien a lot and was told that he has dialogue for Moonpath but unfortunately they never triggered for me and I have no idea why. So not exactly a knock on the mod but it was a downer for my experience overall.

Forgotten City was another solid experience for me. I really liked the concept, and getting to learn about the characters was interesting but I accidentally triggered an early ending to the quest so I didn't get to fully experience everything and did not want to restart to try to do something different. I am tempted to play the full game version at some point. Spoilers I did not have patience for the timeloop mechanic as it seemed like you needed to do a lot of steps each loop the same way so I was kind of glad for the early ending. I also have a bug where I randomly trigger NPCs to think my character stole something which isn't a big deal in the rest of my playthrough but was a REALLY big deal since that triggers the Dwarves Law in this case. If that wasn't constantly happening to me I might have tried to replay and get different endings

Clockwork was really cool to me. The shortest of these quest/new lands mods that I have played so far, it had some very effective (for me) creepy bits and the player house you get seems really cool. If I hadn't committed to Blackthorn Town being my home base I would consider moving to Clockwork Manor. The story was good in my opinion, my biggest issue was some of the maps are too big and open and hard to keep track of where you have been if you're like me and looking in every corner for gold. Again I really enjoyed the spooky creepy bits and while other people might think they were goofy I was in the right mindset to be legitimately creeped out at times. This one also probably had the best rewards of the mods I've listed if you count Clockwork Manor itself.

I've started Wyrmstooth and I'm very excited to continue it when I get the chance and I believe I have Beyond Skyrim-Bruma also installed.

I played Clockwork a few years back; the opening act legitimately has some creepy moments and the rest of it is unsettling, but I really hated the whole "you can't leave until you finish the quest" bit. By the end I really started just trying to get through it as quick as I could because I felt like it was overstaying its welcome, even though it's only a few hours long.

Funnily enough, I just finished Moonpath to Elsweyr last night, and it is very ambitious but can't deliver on its promise. It has a few interesting bits but it also throws a lot of overpowered equipment at you, some of the voice acting is bad even for modded Skyrim content, and it just feels like it's held together by duct tape. I did have Lucien with me and he did have a lot of dialogue, so that was neat, but it doesn't really add a lot to it. My favorite part of the mod is Capt. Skullface or whatever, the Khajit guy who hangs out on the airship deck chuckling evilly when you walk by. Also the ending is a wet fart; you go through a bunch of dungeon hallways disguised as outdoor areas, and then it just kind of ends.

I'm hoping to try Wyrmstooth and Midwood Isle this playthrough.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
moonpath to elsweyr is really old tho.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

moonpath to elsweyr is really old tho.

So is everyone on these forums. :shrug:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

So is everyone on these forums. :shrug:

Yeah but I'm not completely tedious... okay bad example.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
look, my point was that in a lot of those older and more venerable quest mods that finished development over half a decade ago were lacking in stuff like good writing, or more inventive quests. Wyrmstooth and the Rebuilding Helgen mods also have similar issues but for a time they were massive mods that towered over stuff like Bikini Armor set (CBBE-UUNP).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

look, my point was that in a lot of those older and more venerable quest mods that finished development over half a decade ago were lacking in stuff like good writing, or more inventive quests. Wyrmstooth and the Rebuilding Helgen mods also have similar issues but for a time they were massive mods that towered over stuff like Bikini Armor set (CBBE-UUNP).

More like a decade.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
poo poo yeah. SE did start off with a much stronger modding scene and the new esl plugins did make modding easier for the end user.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

forgotten city: IIRC there are not that many iterations of the loop if you follow all the clues and stuff. I think it was 3? I don't remember it being tedious to get the good ending.

do the trainwiz mods work on special edition?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

forgotten city: IIRC there are not that many iterations of the loop if you follow all the clues and stuff. I think it was 3? I don't remember it being tedious to get the good ending.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/users/370317?tab=user+files

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

VostokProgram posted:

If I didn't have the particular bug I mentioned in my post I probably would have been fine. Like I'd walk out a door and all of a sudden the Dwarves Law alarms would happen and I'd have no idea what caused it. Very annoying.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Yes,they've all been reworked and refactored to work better too. I was briefly part of the team that did it.

TrainWiz also has his own game coming out, Underspace.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Looking to do a 4k skyrim run on the new pc some time in the next few months when there is nothing else to play. Any vids/sites/tutorials that comprehensively talk about the state of modding in 2023 and how it has changed since the last time I did this? (jan 2020ish)

What are the best complete guides to follow these days?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

These days most people just go with a Wabbajack modlist, where authors can upload and curate their own setups. They're self-installing and mostly self-configuring, which saves a ton of time and effort, at the cost of not having full control of what's included.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Open Animation Replacer is out
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/92109

open source modern replacement for DAR, but more powerful and user friendly

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Can you gently caress the new animations?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Agents are GO! posted:

It's mandatory.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Buddy,

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Gyoru posted:

huh, its a bit overwhelming but at least I don't need DAR anymore.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Gyoru posted:

Swapped out DAR for this and my game seems to load faster? Also, a weird bug where everything I looted would launch into the air seems to have gone away.

10/10 would gently caress again

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been playing the past few days with Legacy of the Dragonborn and I gotta say, I was not expecting there to be a quest where you temporarily go into a creepypasta story. Made all the more fun as I was in VR.

Its also great fun to be stealing everyone's poo poo and putting it on display. Surely the owner of Bits and Pieces wont mind missing like 6k worth of fancy candlesticks and emerald statues and having it show up in the museum in town.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
dont forget to take the shiny gemstone on her desk.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Putting Pelinal's crusader gear on display in the museum foyer, knowing that the Thalmor embassy is directly outside of town and that they're certainly 100% aware of what I'm up to, is one of the conceptually funniest things my Dragonborn ever did.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Has anyone tried Wildlander? If so, what'd you think?

I'm tempted to try it, but I'm not sure how it would go on my PC:

Intel Core i7 8700K @ 4.40 GHz
Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
32 GB RAM
240hz monitor @ 1920x1080

Edit: While I'm here, I'd really like to find a good recommendation for a modpack that offers enhancements/additions etc to the "thief/stealth/archery/sneaky" playstyle.

neurotech fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 9, 2023

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

neurotech posted:

Has anyone tried Wildlander? If so, what'd you think?

I did for a while. It was great at first, but I stopped because the survival aspects just became tedious eventually, as did having no fast travel, at all. I can't really comment on hardware though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

Putting Pelinal's crusader gear on display in the museum foyer, knowing that the Thalmor embassy is directly outside of town and that they're certainly 100% aware of what I'm up to, is one of the conceptually funniest things my Dragonborn ever did.

Can you gently caress the Crusader Gear?

Fun fact: There's actually a Thalmor tower in castle dour, near to where Vittoria Vici gets married. There's nobody and nothing in there. It's weird.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

I did for a while. It was great at first, but I stopped because the survival aspects just became tedious eventually, as did having no fast travel, at all. I can't really comment on hardware though.

Ahhhhh that does sound like it could get tedious. drat it. I just wanna be a thief lol

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Can you gently caress the Crusader Gear?

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

neurotech posted:

Edit: While I'm here, I'd really like to find a good recommendation for a modpack that offers enhancements/additions etc to the "thief/stealth/archery/sneaky" playstyle.

After looking around, all the stuff I've found requires the AE DLC, which I'm not in a position to buy right now. Does anyone know of a modpack that matches what I'm looking for and doesn't need the AE DLC?

neurotech fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 9, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Are you sure? I've barely seen any mods that require any AE content. Some need the patch version, 1.6 or whatever, but as for the full DLC itself?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Are you sure? I've barely seen any mods that require any AE content.

Wabbajack modpacks mostly do, though. I assume it's just easier to require a single version

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I suspect a lot of them also include stuff like patches and expansions for the Creation Club content.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

neurotech posted:

After looking around, all the stuff I've found requires the AE DLC, which I'm not in a position to buy right now. Does anyone know of a modpack that matches what I'm looking for and doesn't need the AE DLC?

Are you SURE they require the AE DLC? Many likely just use the patch number and the free DLC that Bethesda released when the AE came out. Check to be sure.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Also the Anniversary Edition stuff isn't too bad, and Forgotten Seasons alone is worth the $20.

Additionally, there's no copy protection on the Anniversary Edition content, it's all just mods as far as the engine is concerned, so :filez: is an option. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Randomly felt the itch to do a LOTD collectathon again and decided to give this Tempus Maledictum list a try since the list the same dude made for FO4 was pretty dumb fun, anything I should know before starting it?