Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
op if you work at a junkyard recycling center, all the stuff you remember from before you went inside is now worth megabux to some esoteric collector because nostalgia sells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hey op have you experienced the joy of "farting" since you've been out? You see, farting involves passing digestive gasses from your intestinal tract to relieve pressure on your insides. Be careful doing this in public however, as it can come with a nasty surprise, a horrible rotting smell! So be sure you're "in the clear" before indulging in a fart :)

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

just let 'er rip, harvey... like a beyblade!

Beyblade (ベイブレード, Beiburēdo, diminutive Bey, from the diminutive of beigoma) is a line of spinning-top toys originally developed by Takara, first released in Japan in July 1999, along with its debut series. Following Takara's merger with Tomy in 2006, Beyblades are now developed by Takara Tomy. Various toy companies around the world have licensed Beyblade toys for their own regions, including Hasbro in Western countries, Sonokong in Korea, and Takara Tomy for Eastern countries.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Did you forget what OP was put away for? Lol

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Rufus Ping posted:

You have a point

But the John Liithgow season was so good

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Every time OP posts a question like that my jaded internet brain thinks: "this is too perfect of a question. OP must be doing this to get goons riled up for pages and pages"

OP casually mentions that his cousin is taking him out to eat, he can't wait to have a well-done steak with ketchup, and by the way what's current tipping etiquette these days?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

To move away from media, quoting from the meme thread:

This kind of poo poo would've blown my mind back in the 90s. It's just a light show using a lot of drones but I thought you'd get a kick out of it.

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
yo tghis shit6 is hosed up if true

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
You ever try to get into golf or even just watching golf on tv, op?

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
Harvey, please learn about phishing and other online scams so that you can avoid them. Being away from society has likely made you not have any potential awareness of scams and gifts that are commonplace today. Also for the love of God please use Google.com to research MLM because that is the biggest scam of all.

I read that you enjoy trees. You should consider botany as a hobby! You could have greenery indoors, and if you get super into it, there is a lot of information online available and many areas have easy to access learning programs to become a master gardener, which would allow you to potentially find a job opportunity to spend time in nature

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A Concrete Divider posted:

You ever try to get into golf or even just watching golf on tv, op?

Too much shanking for op

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Taeke posted:

To move away from media, quoting from the meme thread:

This kind of poo poo would've blown my mind back in the 90s. It's just a light show using a lot of drones but I thought you'd get a kick out of it.

I wanna see them do a dickbutt the size of Enterprise with that.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Hey OP, I don’t know if anyone has told you yet but anime is bad. You should remember that if you want to keep living your best life. French cartoons are pretty cool though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJGsn_UIuE

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Dick Fontaine posted:

Hey OP, I don’t know if anyone has told you yet but anime is bad. You should remember that if you want to keep living your best life. French cartoons are pretty cool though.

I don't know if Harvey will watch this, but I sure as gently caress will. Thanks!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dick Fontaine posted:

This is called franime.

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013

Dick Fontaine posted:

anime is ok. Imo

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I have a bit of catching up to do in this thread, and this is the gooniest thing I'm ever gonna post - if you haven't yet you need to watch The Matrix. Just the first one. Ignore the sequels. The animatrix was cool tho

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
i've often wondered if prisoners store their pee in the balls too

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Hey Harvey! Welcome to Something Awful. I read through this whole thread and I've always been fascinated with prison in general. There was a thread a good number of years ago on here about a dude who went to prison rescued a kitten from a drain pipe or something. I really like how creative inmates can get with breaking the rules or increasing their own quality of life. It's loving inspiring in a way, like finding happiness without needing permission, y'know?

Anyways, the Joe Rogan Experience podcast just released an episode with a dude who was locked up for 30 years after being found not guilty. He went in around '94 so you might find it interesting, he probably knows less about the net than you do at this point haha. His name's Bruce Bryan.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

On the other hand seeing a single Joe Rogan video will completely screw up your YouTube recommendations

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

harveys zoo zoos posted:

he didn't catch anything what a loser haha

lmao

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Rufus Ping posted:

What OP did would have fit within Dexter's "code" to some degree. But I'd recommend avoiding any long series' for now, just stick with movies, there's so many and they won't suck all your time like 17 seasons of whatever bullshit would.

Mr Zoo Zoos, I just want to say there are very, very few threads where I read every word, and this is one of them. I just gave a fist pump while sitting in a Taco Bell when I read you got a job. I'm very happy you found this community, while some here are complete nincompoops, I think it's pretty clear there are a lot of great goons on this site and we're cheering you on.

Some other thoughts:

I hope you use the same keyboard when you get your new computer, or at the very least never use the shift key again, your posts are better that way and it makes them feel like a warm hug.

Reading about your take on how to fix the correctional system are dead on, and though you wouldn't want it, I vote you to be in charge of our correctional system in this country.

I hope you get a cat. Please get a cat. And please open another thread when you do get a cat to ask for name suggestions. Most will be funny and terrible, and you don't have to listen to any of us, but also let me submit my recommendation...."Zoo Zoos"....Zoos for short. Please post a pics (like suggested earlier, without geo tags).

There's way too much terrible poo poo on the internet, thank you for giving us a small glimpse into your world and the good that you bring.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Dexter is a lovely show, imo.

The Wire, on the other hand, is very very good. True Detective season 1 is, too

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

deadeyez posted:

I read that you enjoy trees. You should consider botany as a hobby!

My fav youtube channel for botany is another ex-con with a hilariously thick Chicago accent appropriately named "Crime Pays But Botany Doesn't"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p28slOp8kZs

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

My fav youtube channel for botany is another ex-con with a hilariously thick Chicago accent appropriately named "Crime Pays But Botany Doesn't"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p28slOp8kZs

I am glad you beat me to this. Guy's real good. His art is also very good. He makes me look around outside and pay closer attention to things around my yard and hiking areas in the woods.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

My dearest Mister Harvey Doo Doo,

Have you experienced the joy of "beer?" It is a liquid that comes in a can, bottle, or even straight out of a keg! I like to refer to it as "liquid bread" but that's just between the two of us bros;). There is alcohol in beer and when you start drinking it, you may get a funny feeling in your head! Don't go overboard though!! A great beer to start with is "Bud Light." Check out the "wassup" commercials on YouTube, LOL!!!

Anyway here's my favorite Russian Sunday night cartoon, please consume it in its entirety immediately :)

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
The Wire and Breaking Bad are highly recommended series to watch. Both have ended, but the wire could surprise us with a 6th season some day.

The Wire is about drug gangs and police on the streets of Baltimore. Awesome writing and dialog and it has a poetic flare about right and wrong.

Breaking Bad is about a high school chemistry teacher who finds out he has terminal cancer, who then teams up with a former student to cook crystal meth as a way to make money for his family after he dies. It has some of the craziest poo poo i've seen on film to this day.

Both are a 10/10 in my opinion.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
There are like 30 Kirby games and they're all good

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Kirby the love butt?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

All these media recommendations can be overwhelming, but I think you need to know that media consumption habits have changed considerably. In the past people would just sit on the couch staring at the TV. Now days you are expected to have at least two TVs/monitors going at once - one to watch your show or movie, the other to 'grind' (perform repetitive tasks) in your latest game. In addition, you should have a smartphone out and be texting/posting. If you're still feeling under stimulated you can also add a podcast on an earphone in one ear.

Once you've got a handle on consuming that many media streams at once you can start upping the playback speed. I think most people consume media at 1.25x-1.5x speed these days, but you'll probably want to start slower so as not to overwhelm yourself right off the bat. With all that in mind you'll probably be through all the recommendations in this thread in only a few weeks.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
holy macaroni!

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Nice Van My Man posted:

All these media recommendations can be overwhelming, but I think you need to know that media consumption habits have changed considerably. In the past people would just sit on the couch staring at the TV. Now days you are expected to have at least two TVs/monitors going at once - one to watch your show or movie, the other to 'grind' (perform repetitive tasks) in your latest game. In addition, you should have a smartphone out and be texting/posting. If you're still feeling under stimulated you can also add a podcast on an earphone in one ear.

Once you've got a handle on consuming that many media streams at once you can start upping the playback speed. I think most people consume media at 1.25x-1.5x speed these days, but you'll probably want to start slower so as not to overwhelm yourself right off the bat. With all that in mind you'll probably be through all the recommendations in this thread in only a few weeks.

these people are all going to develop alzheimer’s in their 40’s

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm not sure that's quite normal except for retired drone pilots, but OTOH I would not be surprised

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Nice Van My Man posted:

This is all amateur hour stuff... what you need is a Super Seat.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 2, 2023

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Nice Van My Man posted:

someone asked what sort of things feel strange on the outside and this is one of them. screens everywhere that no one looks up from. i wrote a lot about this but then at the end i realized it read more like 'old out of touch man yells at young kids to stop and smell the roses'. i imagine if i had progressed normally in society i wouldn't have the same opinion. but, it makes me sad to see people ignore the world in favor of a screen.

the little personal moments are what matter to me, not a video that a billion people will see. so many times i sat in my cell and thought 'man i sure wish i could watch a caterpillar munch on a blade of grass' or 'i wish i could remember what carpet feels like on bare feet'. so those are the things that are most important to me because so many small moments passed me by.

but those same screens also amaze me with stuff like-
an app for everything. like the bird app someone suggested. there's even health and mental health care apps. that's wild to me.
amazon, where you can get anything.
grocery store and even library self checkouts.

so i get the appeal but man there's just so much more to life than a drat screen. but this is stuff i should talk to my therapist about and not rant on something awful ahaha

Peggy Edson posted:

My dearest Mister Harvey Doo Doo,

Have you experienced the joy of "beer?" It is a liquid that comes in a can, bottle, or even straight out of a keg! I like to refer to it as "liquid bread" but that's just between the two of us bros;). There is alcohol in beer and when you start drinking it, you may get a funny feeling in your head! Don't go overboard though!! A great beer to start with is "Bud Light." Check out the "wassup" commercials on YouTube, LOL!!!

Anyway here's my favorite Russian Sunday night cartoon, please consume it in its entirety immediately :)

I've never had alcohol except for pruno, prison hooch, and that was only a few times. i don't want alcohol. it played a big role in the all the bad stuff my stepfather did. and the alcoholics that came in had a rough time with withdrawals. it seemed worse to me than heroin withdrawal but i don't know. i never did that stuff either. i mostly used weed, acid, and crack while inside. i never did any of that before prison. for the last 10 years or so of my sentence i was clean, though. i can safely say i will be substance free for the rest of my life, no doubt. i can't think of anything i haven't already experienced that would make me go back to it.

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

What OP did would have fit within Dexter's "code" to some degree. But I'd recommend avoiding any long series' for now, just stick with movies, there's so many and they won't suck all your time like 17 seasons of whatever bullshit would.

Mr Zoo Zoos, I just want to say there are very, very few threads where I read every word, and this is one of them. I just gave a fist pump while sitting in a Taco Bell when I read you got a job. I'm very happy you found this community, while some here are complete nincompoops, I think it's pretty clear there are a lot of great goons on this site and we're cheering you on.

Some other thoughts:

I hope you use the same keyboard when you get your new computer, or at the very least never use the shift key again, your posts are better that way and it makes them feel like a warm hug.

Reading about your take on how to fix the correctional system are dead on, and though you wouldn't want it, I vote you to be in charge of our correctional system in this country.

I hope you get a cat. Please get a cat. And please open another thread when you do get a cat to ask for name suggestions. Most will be funny and terrible, and you don't have to listen to any of us, but also let me submit my recommendation...."Zoo Zoos"....Zoos for short. Please post a pics (like suggested earlier, without geo tags).

There's way too much terrible poo poo on the internet, thank you for giving us a small glimpse into your world and the good that you bring.

thank you, your cheering means a lot to me.

i did adopt a kitty yesterday. she is about 9 or 10 years old, and was in the shelter for 2 weeks after her owner became very ill and could no longer care for her.

she is all white and is the softest thing i have ever touched in my life. she has been hiding while adjusting to her new surroundings but i will post pictures soon and ask for names.

is it better to start a new thread for things like this

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

harveys zoo zoos posted:

someone asked what sort of things feel strange on the outside and this is one of them. screens everywhere that no one looks up from. i wrote a lot about this but then at the end i realized it read more like 'old out of touch man yells at young kids to stop and smell the roses'. i imagine if i had progressed normally in society i wouldn't have the same opinion. but, it makes me sad to see people ignore the world in favor of a screen.

the little personal moments are what matter to me, not a video that a billion people will see. so many times i sat in my cell and thought 'man i sure wish i could watch a caterpillar munch on a blade of grass' or 'i wish i could remember what carpet feels like on bare feet'. so those are the things that are most important to me because so many small moments passed me by.

totally agree with you on this, I think it's a shame that people spend so much of their time on their phone, sometimes even around their friends!

I think a lot of us went through a period when smartphones came out where we kind of accidentally ignored each other in person to look at texts or whatever then we all figured out it was really rude and stopped (maybe some people didn't start, good for them). I imagine it's more common with young people, who knows, but it is definitely their loss I think

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Harvey, son, it's about time papa XYZAB took you on his knee and exlained to you the three main types of image files and their respective compression algorithms.

When you see an "image" on the internet, there's a high probability that it is one of three (3) filetypes: .JPEG (or .JPG), .GIF, and .PNG.

JPEG images were the standard image file type for pretty much the entire time you spent in the clink (from 1992 to present). Their main benefit is that, through the JPEG compression algorithm, a lossless (read: full quality) digital image, which takes up a LOT of storage space, can be compressed into a much smaller image by obfuscating and eliminating certain bytes of data that aren't necesarilly relevant for that image to be comprehended by the human eye. The higher the image is compressed, though, the more apparent become the visual "artifacts," in the form is blocky grid-like textures and a general sense of digital noise or degredation.

PNG images have been quietly replacing the more ubiquitous JPEG format for a decade or so, but there will likely be a use-case for both formats for quite some time to come, so expect to find both in relatively the same quantity for some time yet. PNG images offer the benefit of a transparency layer, which can allow portions of images to overlap each other on a website, or progressive fades to occur between visual elements, and there is no visual "noise" degredation or "artifacting" as you would expect to find in lmore highly-compressed/lower-bitrate JPEG images.

GIFs can also use transparency, but whereas the transparency layer in a PNG image exists on a spectrum of essentially 0 (fully transparent) to 100 (fully opaque), the transparency of a GIF image is either on or off, (0 or 100). There is no inbetween. In addition to this, whereas both JPEG and PNG images can have millions of colours, GIF images can only contain up to 256 colours. GIF images predate JPEG images by about five years, and hail from an era of computing where you were lucky if your display had more colours than green and black. But, because GIFs were coded to allow for simple animations, they still reign supreme in their little niche nearly 35 years later.

But the most important part about any of this, and what I want you to take with you from this post if you take from it anything at all, is that GIF is pronounced "JIFF," like the peanut butter brand "Jif", or like the G in "Giraffe." People who say "GIF" with a G like in "GOLF" don't realize that if you say it like that, you will be mistaken for saying "GIFT," which makes you sound like an idiot, because people who say it like "GIFT" are bottom-feeding mouth breathers.

Hope this helps.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How me turn on da computa

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

XYZAB posted:

Harvey, son, it's about time papa XYZAB took you on his knee and exlained to you the three main types of image files and their respective compression algorithms.

When you see an "image" on the internet, there's a high probability that it is one of three (3) filetypes: .JPEG (or .JPG), .GIF, and .PNG.

JPEG images were the standard image file type for pretty much the entire time you spent in the clink (from 1992 to present). Their main benefit is that, through the JPEG compression algorithm, a lossless (read: full quality) digital image, which takes up a LOT of storage space, can be compressed into a much smaller image by obfuscating and eliminating certain bytes of data that aren't necesarilly relevant for that image to be comprehended by the human eye. The higher the image is compressed, though, the more apparent become the visual "artifacts," in the form is blocky grid-like textures and a general sense of digital noise or degredation.

PNG images have been quietly replacing the more ubiquitous JPEG format for a decade or so, but there will likely be a use-case for both formats for quite some time to come, so expect to find both in relatively the same quantity for some time yet. PNG images offer the benefit of a transparency layer, which can allow portions of images to overlap each other on a website, or progressive fades to occur between visual elements, and there is no visual "noise" degredation or "artifacting" as you would expect to find in lmore highly-compressed/lower-bitrate JPEG images.

GIFs can also use transparency, but whereas the transparency layer in a PNG image exists on a spectrum of essentially 0 (fully transparent) to 100 (fully opaque), the transparency of a GIF image is either on or off, (0 or 100). There is no inbetween. In addition to this, whereas both JPEG and PNG images can have millions of colours, GIF images can only contain up to 256 colours. GIF images predate JPEG images by about five years, and hail from an era of computing where you were lucky if your display had more colours than green and black. But, because GIFs were coded to allow for simple animations, they still reign supreme in their little niche nearly 35 years later.

But the most important part about any of this, and what I want you to take with you from this post if you take from it anything at all, is that GIF is pronounced "JIFF," like the peanut butter brand "Jif", or like the G in "Giraffe." People who say "GIF" with a G like in "GOLF" don't realize that if you say it like that, you will be mistaken for saying "GIFT," which makes you sound like an idiot, because people who say it like "GIFT" are bottom-feeding mouth breathers.

Hope this helps.

i don't know about any of this but your avatar guy reminds me of the inmate we called 'spitshow' that i mentioned. the one who would blow bubbles with cum or whatever else. haha

maybe you should change your username haha

harveys zoo zoos fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i did adopt a kitty yesterday. she is about 9 or 10 years old, and was in the shelter for 2 weeks after her owner became very ill and could no longer care for her.

she is all white and is the softest thing i have ever touched in my life. she has been hiding while adjusting to her new surroundings but i will post pictures soon and ask for names.

is it better to start a new thread for things like this

If she's already 9 or 10, it's maybe best to keep the name she already has. It might help her adjust to keep hearing the name she already knows.