Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Gripweed posted:

The first person other than Liefeld to write a comic featuring Shatterstorm has the chance to do the funniest thing ever

https://twitter.com/comicbook/status/1663981989211324441?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

What are those shoulderplates attached to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow... just read the latest ASM. I hadn't kept with the last two pages of posts 'cause I wouldn't want to be spoiled, so I understand I'm not saying anything new now after catching up, but I still need to say it.

I wasn't entirely enjoying Zeb Wells run up to this point -- felt kind of mediocre -- but a new status quo for MJ, Spidey, and even having Ms Marvel on the cast were all interesting ideas, so I kept giving it a chance and wanting to see where it would go. And okay, turns out the mystery of how that new status quo came to be ended up not being that well handled, but maybe the story was still going somewhere good?

Nope! Not all! #26 is a disgraceful, lovely attempt at making emotional scenes that just made me felt completely cold and going "whyyy". This single issue was so dreadful, so awfully written and badly planned that the whole exercise to get here, an entire run of 26 issues may as well have been completely obliterated because none of it mattered. And I'm memory holing this whole venture for myself and likely never touching anything written by Zeb Wells ever again, which a year ago, still remembering rather fondly that Hellions run of his was not something I've ever expected to feel.

Good loving lord. How could an experienced writer think handling the kids that way or pulling a cheap death was good storytelling? How would an experienced editor look at this garbage and go "yes, yes, this is exactly what makes a good story and a great cap to 26 issues of build-up, plus we didn't know what to do with that beloved character anyway!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pete's hooking up with the Black Cat right now so his life isn't all bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the comic doesn’t really seem to give the slightest gently caress about that

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I could see her dating Ned at the start of Spider-Man 4, since it's clear at the end of 3 that she's still friends with him, and because of how the movies are written she's not really shown to have friends that aren't Peter Parker and Ned.

I really hope they don't make him Hobgoblin, though it would a bit of sense, since he had access to Willem Dafoe Goblin technology, and who knows how the memory spell affected him beyond forgetting who Peter Parker/Spider-Man was. Wouldn't fit the theme of the other three movies being about Peter Parker cleaning up bullshit messes of the older generation.

For what it's worth, the actor who plays Ned is VERY into the idea of him becoming Hobgoblin at some point.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

everyone should get to be a hobgoblin, at least once

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gonna be real dumb if they make him Hobgoblin just because his name is Ned Leeds, which in turn was a dumb name to give that character in the first place.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know this is just a fun variant, not anything with story implications, and it does look cool, but how the gently caress would Moon Knight have an invite to the Hellfire Gala? Maybe he's pen pals with David Haller?

https://twitter.com/DenOfCrows/status/1663510604252950528?s=20

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

I know this is just a fun variant, not anything with story implications, and it does look cool, but how the gently caress would Moon Knight have an invite to the Hellfire Gala? Maybe he's pen pals with David Haller?

Maybe he was Thing’s plus one?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

Maybe he was Thing’s plus one?

I thought of Haller because of the DID connection, not the Jewish connection.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

I thought of Haller because of the DID connection, not the Jewish connection.

They exchange holiday cards! I can’t remember for which holiday, but I know they do

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

The other Marvel heroes have been getting invites since the first Krakoa Hellfire Gala, though it wasn't until the second that they realized they needed to step up their fashion game. My guess is he's either Tigra's plus one or Clea pulls some strings for him. Though I could also see him just showing up and Emma deciding it'd be more of a headache than it's worth to kick him out.

Now, my question is how the Hell did Eddie Brock's kid, who's currently Venom and actively on the lamb, get in.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 2, 2023

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Did MJ and Venom attend the Hellfire Gala last year?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MJ did, yes. Mark Brooks likes making costumes for it though so not everyone he draws goes.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If Dylan, Eddie's son, did get in, it's probably because of his dad being a timeline singularity symbiote king/god, he can be considered a prince/demigod.

...man, symbiote stuff is kinda dumb nowadays...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Kinda curious as to why MJ would get an invite. Like purely in official terms, isn't she just a regular joe and totally nothing to do with Spider-Man, uh-uh, no sir, or the superhero community in general as far as anyone knows? And it's not like she's an A-lister celeb or anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Kinda curious as to why MJ would get an invite. Like purely in official terms, isn't she just a regular joe and totally nothing to do with Spider-Man, uh-uh, no sir, or the superhero community in general as far as anyone knows? And it's not like she's an A-lister celeb or anything.
She's a B-list celeb, at least, between modeling and acting. She was also Tony Stark's assistant for awhile (which I think is why she was there last year?), so she definitely has known ties to the superhero community.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

She went as a human advocate for the Krakoan medications, her mom or grandmother or someone is getting her dementia treated with them. Also I think she and Emma just know each other?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean even though MJ was retconned to never have been married to Peter they still say every story still happened so MJ should have a pretty insane amount of super hero contacts

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Draxion posted:

She went as a human advocate for the Krakoan medications, her mom or grandmother or someone is getting her dementia treated with them. Also I think she and Emma just know each other?

This. Her being invited and attending is actually a pretty important plot point for the one shot.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It would be cool if marvel made MJ an A list character and stand on her own outside of Spider-man. In universe even if she’s a B movie actress - A list model it’d be fun. Showing up to hero events, having a circle, etc.

You know, instead of making GBS threads on her.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1664661555126861832

JMS going to be taking over Cap. Current run has been great, and the ongoing Cold War thing has been pretty solid but kinda excited to see what JMS does with the title.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I was just flipping through some of his Moon Knight, Iron Fist, and Thor from the aughts. I just hope its that JMS and not Superman taking a walk. His Thor was especially great even if he had to put every toy back into their boxes once he was done.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

srypher posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1664661555126861832

JMS going to be taking over Cap. Current run has been great, and the ongoing Cold War thing has been pretty solid but kinda excited to see what JMS does with the title.

Neat, glad I get to drop a book (two books?)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Those first issues gonna be a lot of Steve moping around after he has to kill Bucky at the end of this current book for being a massive piece of poo poo

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gologle posted:

If Dylan, Eddie's son, did get in, it's probably because of his dad being a timeline singularity symbiote king/god, he can be considered a prince/demigod.

...man, symbiote stuff is kinda dumb nowadays...

This got me thinking with the previous talk about bad Spider-man comics, but the whole alien warrior stuff began with Bendis' GotG, right? and then someone else pushed it further into demigods and poo poo involving Thor and kept escalating the symbiote?

Meanwhile Agent Venom was a Slott idea, right? or it at least started while he was on Spider-man. For all the poo poo we give Slott's run, at least the stuff he comes up with is stuff that made sense to add to Spider-man's lore; Agent Venom showed up in a few cartoons, even if it was merely him pitching and not really related with the finalized product he still came up with Spider-Gwen. Spider-Verse as bad as the event itself was, and all those follow ups, is still the story that got adapted into the movie that changed the whole western animated movie medium for the better. Spider Island, Ends of the Earth, and Superior have also been adapted loosely in cartoons. Spider-Island was what lead directly into BSS' favorite Scarlet Spider run.

Just all those things that do get added to Spidey's pile of stuff to adapt into other mediums. Meanwhile, there's so much stuff everyone will gladly ignore because it's not even fun to think how to do better.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 2, 2023

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

site posted:

Those first issues gonna be a lot of Steve moping around after he has to kill Bucky at the end of this current book for being a massive piece of poo poo

I mean, it’ll be Ian who somehow gets stuck in Dimension Z again right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean even though MJ was retconned to never have been married to Peter they still say every story still happened so MJ should have a pretty insane amount of super hero contacts

Even if they were no longer married when it happened and no one knows Spider-Man's real identity anymore, it was still confirmed that she lived in the Avengers tower during the New Avengers era.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yeah weren’t there rumors that she was dating Tony Stark?

Gatts posted:

It would be cool if marvel made MJ an A list character and stand on her own outside of Spider-man. In universe even if she’s a B movie actress - A list model it’d be fun. Showing up to hero events, having a circle, etc.

You know, instead of making GBS threads on her.

Well now she has lightning powers and dead kids! That’s basically the same thing as being well-written!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest from what I’ve seen from spider man fans and how over they are with all the melodrama we are reaching the point where they either remarry them or fridge her

I don’t know which they would go with at this point

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah weren’t there rumors that she was dating Tony Stark?

Well now she has lightning powers and dead kids! That’s basically the same thing as being well-written!

drat it, I asked for lightning kids and power over the dead!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest from what I’ve seen from spider man fans and how over they are with all the melodrama we are reaching the point where they either remarry them or fridge her

I don’t know which they would go with at this point

Fridging MJ is a mistake. Fridge Peter, there are other Spider-men to take his place.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I think it would be a mistake but they seem really dug in on this eternally loser Parker who always fails even though I think the fanbase is getting sick of it.

Which is funny because at this point who of Peters supporting cast is even left?

MJ, Norman?????, Black Cat sometimes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really enjoy that Dylan's Hellfire Gala look is just Venom but with a tie

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blockhouse posted:

And the frilly ankle bands?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I demand Marvel to put Grant Morrison and Adam Hughes on an MJ title

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gatts posted:

Fridging MJ is a mistake. Fridge Peter, there are other Spider-men to take his place.

The right move is loving there on the shelf, it’s been there for decades, they did it during the Clone Saga. Peter grows up, becomes a married man with a kid and a steady job and somebody else becomes the main Spider-Man with the Parker Luck. Let him keep his powers and do some superheroing, Peter B Parker proved people love that, and Ultimate Spider-Man proved people are more than willing to follow multiple Spider-Men.

It’s an incredibly low risk editorial move.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

The shoulders completely change his silhouette.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gripweed posted:

The right move is loving there on the shelf, it’s been there for decades, they did it during the Clone Saga. Peter grows up, becomes a married man with a kid and a steady job and somebody else becomes the main Spider-Man with the Parker Luck. Let him keep his powers and do some superheroing, Peter B Parker proved people love that, and Ultimate Spider-Man proved people are more than willing to follow multiple Spider-Men.

It’s an incredibly low risk editorial move.

I mean they already have that more or less with Miles. It’s just right now Miles and Peter kind of do the same thing (vaguely) which is awkward considering Peter is like over a decade older

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lucifunk posted:

I was just flipping through some of his Moon Knight, Iron Fist, and Thor from the aughts. I just hope its that JMS and not Superman taking a walk. His Thor was especially great even if he had to put every toy back into their boxes once he was done.

When did he do moon knight and iron fist