Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

spf3million posted:

I've averaged 215 gallons of water used per day since we've moved in 1.5 years ago (seems like a lot but :shrug:). The water district informed me that my latest reading indicated an average of over 1,000 gpd over the last 2 months...

Shutting off the 1/4 turn ball valve at the house doesn't stop the meter from spinning and there aren't any big wet spots in my yard anywhere. The meter is at the street on the other side of our driveway. Stay tuned for photos of what will presumably be my ripped up driveway. At least the water district will reimburse me for half of the extra water I used this billing period if we show proof of prompt maintenance. Although half off of a $500 water bill doesn't really take the sting out of it.

From 2020 in this very thread but I went through the same thing. Luckily (?) mine was the run from the meter through the foundation of the house so it was an easy, albeit somewhat expensive repair. Until I dug around the foundation (and turned the water back on) there were no obvious signs of the leaking water on the exterior of the house.

TheWevel posted:

Last week I had a plumber fix a leak at our water meter. Today I discovered a babbling brook at the service entrance to our house. Kill me.

Also this is what led to me discovering the babbling brook:

TheWevel posted:

Update: Turned the water off last night and went out there this morning to dig around the foundation where the water comes in. Turned the water back on to get an idea of how bad it was and a 6 ft jet stream of water is coming out. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I don't know how it's possible, but with two adults and two young kids in the main house, and another two adults in the in-law house, we still only use 126 gpd.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Muir posted:

I don't know how it's possible, but with two adults and two young kids in the main house, and another two adults in the in-law house, we still only use 126 gpd.
Yeah, we have 2 adults 1 kid and "only" use 75 gpd, I think OP has a leak or is just really wasteful.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

moana posted:

Yeah, we have 2 adults 1 kid and "only" use 75 gpd, I think OP has a leak or is just really wasteful.

I mean, my water utility says that puts me in at least the 80th percentile for efficiency, so I don't think 200 gpd would necessarily be worse than average, even.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

A quick Googling says average is ~300 / ~70 per person.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yikes to this water use. I had to check and report because that's just how this works. 3000-4000 gallons per two month period so call it 60 gallons per day? That still makes me uncomfortable for two of us, I don't feel like I use 30 gallons a day. But I do! I suppose at 1.8gpm my shower alone is 18 of those if I take a long shower. Plus washing machine use, dishwasher, sink, etc. I'm remodeling my bathroom right now so there's a lot more water use from mixing mortar and cleaning tools.

I took those figures from Dec to March so it wouldn't have much irrigation use. I watered my trees a bit, not much.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Yeah some of these water numbers seem wild to me. I take blood pressure medication that makes me pee a lot so there are a lot of flushes in my house, plus my wife is a self-employed massage therapist and washes all of her sheets at our house, so we're doing laundry a lot as well. We average between 60-70 gallons a day (granted, it is just the two of us).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I just got our latest bill yesterday and it looks like our household usage for this year has been about 90 gal/day, for 2 adults and 2 little children.

Sorry to hear about your hosed up water main, op, have you considered getting the watered shut off temporarily?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I gotta look back at our water bills from the house we rented prior to buying this one to compare our usage. Maybe it's been leaking for a while and just finally let loose. The water bills haven't been much different, I guess I figured it was just inflation. Only the two of us living here and we have a drip irrigation system for the gardens that runs a couple times per week for 5-10 minutes, doesn't seem excessive. Dual flush toilets and a load or two of laundry per week with a new "smart water" washing machine.

I crawled under the house and didn't hear anything flowing down the main sewer line where it all collects. I don't think it's anything inside the house. 1000+ gpd is a lot though, feels like it has to be going somewhere. There's a sewer clean out on the other side of the yard, didn't hear anything flowing in there either. I'm going to take a stethoscope to the lawn/driveway tomorrow morning like a crazy person. See if I can hear anything obvious.

I thought about asking the water district to shut us off but it's "only" costing me about $10/day right now. As much as I hate the idea of wasting water, I feel like that daily inconvenience wouldn't be worth that :10bux: while I continue troubleshooting.

e: Ironically the 30" buried main water supply line to my place of work (heavy industry) ruptured on Saturday. It was flowing about 150 gallons per second before we could shut it off. Didn't need a stethoscope to find that one.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 1, 2023

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I just re-read your other post and saw that your main shutoff doesn't stop the meter from spinning.

Sometimes those valves get gunked up and don't close fully. But... you said it was a 1/4 turn ball valve, and typically it's the gate valves that fail. I mean, not that ball valves can't fail, but gate valves are known to fail.

Honestly though if your main shutoff doesn't stop the meter from spinning, then either the valve is toast (bad) or there's a leak between the valve and the meter (worse).

Given your massive consumption, gonna guess that you got yourself a big ol' leak in your water main, but in any case doing nothing is absolutely not an option.

edit:

For reference we're a family of 4, with 2 small kids. We're running the dishwasher daily, handwashing more dishes, running lots of laundry, baths/showers, toilet flushing... we use a lot of water. The only thing we don't do is water the lawn. And we use like 120-ish gallons per day.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 1, 2023

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The main shut off stops all flow to the inside faucets, exterior hose bibbs and drip irrigation system.

DaveSauce posted:

or there's a leak between the valve and the meter (worse).

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
This convo has me wishing I knew how much water I used, but our water isn't metered...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
my greatest achievement as a desert dweller was two consecutive months before we had kids where we used 1 ccf for the month (the minimum billable amount), 24 gallons per day for two people.

Now we average 6 ccf/mo, ~150/day for a family of four. Tucson average household use is 8ccf/mo, so still doing pretty OK.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Enos Cabell posted:

That style is also nearly impossible to keep clean of pet fur, if that is something you have to worry about. It actively resists being vacuumed up. We got the HOMEER brand carpeted tread recently, and they have been pretty great so far. No sliding around and much easier to keep clean.

Boom, we have a winner!! Thanks to you guys from last page on this

Water/sewer are such bullshit. Areas that have less rainfall will have lower bills because the federal subsidies cover the sewer maintenance costs

The PNW gets water for free from the sky all day every day, but we have some of the most expensive water bills in the country because the sewer systems are entirely customer-funded

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The PNW gets water for free from the sky all day every day, but we have some of the most expensive water bills in the country because the sewer systems are entirely customer-funded

With exception to the months between June and October.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anyone have any good or bad experience to share about ordering appliances from costco?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Anyone have any good or bad experience to share about ordering appliances from costco?

According to the Costco thread a lot of it depends on the delivery company they use in your area. It could be great or it could be a poo poo show.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's worked great for me, multiple times. Once an appliance arrived dented, the delivery people took me out to see it, and they put it straight back into the truck and took it back for a replacement.

If you want a bigger selection, seriously consider Home Depot during a sale.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I broadly find Costco to be disappointing and low-quality as a grocery/home goods store and their selection is somehow both huge and lovely at once. However, the appliances I got (LG washer and dryer) were delivered and installed correctly. They did a good job.

My only complaints were (1) the dispatcher forgot to tell them it was a haul-away, so they had to reschedule (not the delivery guys’ fault, though), and (2) they sent six people for the combo haul away and install, which ended up being way more tips than I expected to pay. It was a very expensive install as a result.

The appliances are fine though and no leaks on the installs. Still not renewing my Costco membership after this year.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You're supposed to tip appliance deliveries? I'll have to keep that in mind, how much do you tip?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You’re kind of expected to tip everyone now since the country’s out of money.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
And even before. I remember tipping furniture delivery drivers way back in 2013. I'm sure plenty of people don't do it, so it probably doesn't enrage the delivery guys if you don't, but you should still do it since they hauled some big-rear end thing up your steps and into your house.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Tipping delivery people, including movers, has been common in many places long before Amazon made deliveries a daily occurrence, and tipping bled into otherwise tip-free transaction

For better or for worse.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

You're supposed to tip appliance deliveries? I'll have to keep that in mind, how much do you tip?

No, this isn't actually that common. They're paid to do the delivery and I wouldn't tip them if I wasn't asking them to do anything more than they were supposed to.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I have a $5 or $10 in my junk drawer I'll tip the guy usually but it's definitely not required

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Yeah I don't tip appliance delivery people. I've had a lot of appliances delivered recently, and I've never gotten any kind of negative vibes from them for not tipping.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I admit I've never even considered tipping appliance delivery because I sure as gently caress hope they're getting properly paid by the store I already paid.

To the original Costco question, I got a dishwasher from them recently. My only complaint, which is a minor one, is that the whole way through the checkout and post-sale process, Costco said very clearly the delivery and installation would be two separate appointments. I got a (wide) delivery window within a few hours of ordering and didn't get an installer appointment until the night before so I figured that was still going on.

Turned out the delivery and installer were the same guy. One dude, heaving dishwashers in and out of a lifted Ram 3500 without a liftgate. I'd already unhooked and pulled out the old one, he got the rest done in about half the time it would've taken me to find the holesaw in the garage. And now I have a dishwasher that actually washes dishes, instead of a Kitchenaid-branded pile of poo poo that uses water and electricity to do nothing at all.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

QuarkJets posted:

This stuff is all personal preference….. I usually google to see what the general consensus is and try to be generous with who I choose to tip. I probably wouldn’t tip appliance delivery every single time (not as if they are making below min wage in a tipped job), and if it was a bunch of guys I’d probably tip a lump sum for them to split up and not worry too hard about a bad feeling if they give me a dirty look.

I think tipping culture is highly annoying (though lucrative for employees and great for business owners) but I play the game because I don’t want to be a jerk.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 2, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I tip appliance delivery people because they have to drive 2 hours to get to my area of the country, and they then have to carry the appliances up multiple steps. The last time I did that, they were shocked and kept insisting that I didn't have to tip them and I assured them that no, I really wanted to.

This isn't because I'm virtuous, it's because I enjoy seeing how happy they are.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I didn't tip when we got our fridge delivered a few years ago, but then I felt weird about it afterwards and wasn't sure if I was supposed to or not. So last year when we got our washer/dryer delivered I tipped each of the guys, and they looked at me like I had two heads.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This isn't because I'm virtuous, it's because I enjoy seeing how happy they are.

You monster!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I tipped the guys that delivered our washer because they replaced both of the water valves with new ones. They said it was to protect them more than anything else because their install was warrantied for five years but it was still above and beyond what the scope of the install was.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

I tipped each of the guys, and they looked at me like I had two heads.

I tipped the roofing crew, gave it to a kid who looked scared and scurried off to give it to the foreman. Hopefully he split it with them

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Epitope posted:

I tipped the roofing crew, gave it to a kid who looked scared and scurried off to give it to the foreman. Hopefully he split it with them

Yeah, if you tip a crew make sure to give it to people individually.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

If they're also doing the installs / haulaways, yes. How much depends on the area. I tipped $20 each, because that's like the cost of a cheeseburger here. :downs: That's also why 6 people showing up was such an expensive surprise, tbh.

Tipping repair guys / delivery guys who don't own the business doing the delivery is a thing going back like ages now. My grandparents were doing it when my mother was a kid. Boss makes a dollar, delivery guy gets paid a dime to throw out his back for min-wage and no health insurance or worker's comp.

quote:

Yeah, if you tip a crew make sure to give it to people individually.

And yes, this. Otherwise one person got a great tip and told the others you were a stingy bastard who didn't tip anything.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 2, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've only ever heard of tipping movers

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
E: nothing here please ignore

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I always tip too high on an install where they take the time to do it well. Dishwasher guy got a $50 out of us because he took the time to get it perfect in the crooked spot we have. Definitely more then what's expected but my dad did install work when I was a kid and I know how big of a morale boost a big tip can be.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I've only ever heard of tipping movers

I'll tip them when they're gig workers I'm hiring myself. When they're hired out of a company, no way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'll tip them when they're gig workers I'm hiring myself. When they're hired out of a company, no way.
They may be hired by Costco, but Costco is contracting it out to a third party company I've never heard of, and that company may well be hiring gig workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
When companies start paying installers 2/hour because "It's a tip job now", and it still costs 100 bucks to have a washing machine delivered..... I'm gonna go ripshit on half of you.