Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So far the only actual concrete thing that has been revealed this whole series, the one tangible change to the world that we can point to, is that Orcs have cities and a thriving civilization now. Maltak is no longer a bunch of noble savages dancing under a mountain or whatever. That's all. "Magic is different" but that's all wavy-hand indistinct crap. Other changes in society? Technology? Political dynamics? Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well there's also a library in the middle of loving nowhere in the Wild Edge. One that is apparently just open to the elements. Guess it never rains over there and that the sun magically doesn't cause bleaching damage even after 200 years.

Also now I think about it how the gently caress does that library branch have the authority to grant membership cards that the orc metropolis had any reason to consider genuine?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tesseraction posted:

Well there's also a library in the middle of loving nowhere in the Wild Edge. One that is apparently just open to the elements. Guess it never rains over there and that the sun magically doesn't cause bleaching damage even after 200 years.

Also now I think about it how the gently caress does that library branch have the authority to grant membership cards that the orc metropolis had any reason to consider genuine?

It had the authority of the Deegan.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Trapezium Dave posted:

I can't get over that Snout doesn't ever ask about Dominic Deegan or the book about dreaming, the whole reason he was there in the first place. Just endlessly loving around, showing that the library staff are amazing at finding the information requested but never actually asking about the one thing he was looking for.

Even worse, Snout now has access to someone who personally knew Dominic. He could've started asking Jacob questions about what Dominic was like or the things he did, yet he doesn't! :psyduck: We could have had a moment where Snout overcomes his fear of Jacob's bad vibes because he really wanted to know more about Dom just to show that Snout would actually do anything to satisfy his curiosity.

Mookie saying Snout is "curious" is an absolute joke.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I am curious (Snout)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

Even worse, Snout now has access to someone who personally knew Dominic. He could've started asking Jacob questions about what Dominic was like or the things he did, yet he doesn't! :psyduck: We could have had a moment where Snout overcomes his fear of Jacob's bad vibes because he really wanted to know more about Dom just to show that Snout would actually do anything to satisfy his curiosity.

Mookie saying Snout is "curious" is an absolute joke.
That's not the goal anymore, the goal is to reach Asinotaph. Therefore Snout no longer cares about the previous things.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
4 years into my creative project: hmm,

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

4 years into my creative project: hmm,

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Snout can't ask about things or look them up because that would be working to get what he wants.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I think someone asked about it on Twitter, and Mookie claimed that (offscreen) Snout had gone to the front desk to ask, but the library didn't have any information on J Deegan so Snout just gave up.

So not only was it dumb, to know about the retcon you'd have to be reading Mookie's Twitter replies.
This is a great example of the "layered" way Legacy is bad. Snout's where he is because he's "researching" the legacy of Dominic Deegan. He's given a book of poetry by one of the translators, along with a note to read a specific poem by "Adrak Bulgak, with J. Deegan". Snout, whose defining trait is supposed to be curiosity, "investigates" by showing the librarian the page the poem is on.

She hands him a leaflet (?) of info about Adrak Bulgak, including a bibliography, following which we see Snout apparently lending and then reading a stack of books by or about "A. Bulgak". The first one of these mentions Lost Visions of the Seers by Prento Fallin. Snout then borrows that (with his magic library card) and reads it (until TIME'S UP). He then hangs out in the library, during which time the guy who gave him the book with the poem is still around for Snout to hug, shake hands with, and get another note from.

The retcon that's supposed to paper over the fact Snout never investigates "J. Deegan" is that offscreen Snout also asked the librarian about him (or I guess just knew somehow that when he showed the page to her and she just gave him information on Bulgak that meant the library had no information about "J. Deegan"). And I guess the librarian in the big cool library is worse than the one at the al fresco Wild Edge Library (who gave Snout a list of libraries that might have the book he was asking about when they didn't have it).

But the guy who translated the book was right loving there. Why wouldn't Snout ask the guy who gave him the book...who literally translated it...and specifically pointed out that specific poem...about it?

Or, you know, investigate in literally any other way beyond asking literally the first person he sees after forming the question.

Like "he just didn't notice" or "he just forgot" are actually a better retcons than the one Mookie came up with.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
CHAPTER 29: WALK THE WILD EDGE

Not sure if I should keep going with this since the comic's (kind of) ending, but gently caress it, full speed ahead.

Hey look, it's everyone's favorite mongrelman, Bort!

God, I hate how Mookie draws animals -- they all look like freakish, half-human mutants, and the result here is an elephant blended with a sexy pin-up model.

Tell me that isn't a human torso and arm in panel 4. I dare you.

Stunt is our protagonist for this chapter. He's transformed from stab-happy misogynist to generic rogue.

Hmm, I wonder if these pushy people are the bad guys.

The premise behind WILD EDGE is that it's a strange, unexplored region of the world home to bizarre and dangerous creatures; a place, in Mookie’s words, “infused with chaos”. There's a lot you could do with this concept, and it's wasted badly, like all of Mookie's ideas.

yep, bad guys

Mookie didn't care to give this mongrelwoman a name, so I dub her Bortha. Her design is preposterous and too horny. Mookie also didn't care to give Stunt's boss a name, which is a problem since she plays a major part. Don't worry, he rectifies this on the last page.

oh boy i hope you're ready for KOMEDY!

I'll say this: Bortha is arguably the best-looking character Mookie's drawn. She has the usual snout-face, but it's counterbalanced by the large mouth and the general anatomy is good! That leads me to believe Mookie copied it from somewhere because there's no loving way he came up with it on his own.

Wild animals... that write and wear clothes. I assume Mookie was too distracted outlining Bortha's crotch to notice the disconnect. The last panel is great -- how do you draw someone reading a sign? In 3/4 profile, looking at it sideways, of course!

you've got to be loving kidding

what the gently caress is up with that jump

what the gently caress is up with that face

what is this poo poo

I found Mookie's blog post for this page:

It Wasn't Rain After All posted:

I admit this is a ridiculous strip. As I was drawing it I kept saying to myself, "This is so freaking silly." But that's the beauty of the Wild Edge for me. It's a land so infused with chaos that literally any idea is possible, no matter how ridiculous or silly.

I guess that wasn't rain after all, though.
Ew.

"Literally any idea is possible, no matter how ridiculous or silly" translates to "monkeycheese humor". Sadly, this is the peak of WILD EDGE.

So every official here is a criminal. What the hell is the hiring process like? No background checks? No supervision? Whatever, it's WILD EDGE! No rules!

Another Mookie blog post:

A 31 year old adult posted:

Stunt looking at his female boss and thinking "criminals" is my favorite panel in today's comic. Originally I had him looking at the assembled poachers, but the symbolism of him looking at a woman (who's his superior) and thinking that was just too powerful a character moment for me to pass up. Plus, all the people who are convinced I'm a woman-hating chauvinist will have a field day with it. Tee hee.

I feel actively embarrassed for this goober. Besides the failure of visual storytelling (there's zero indication this is a big character moment), his child-like glee in trolling the haters is baffling -- "heh, they think I'm a misogynist, so have more misogyny"? Really?

don't care

Stunt will be very smug for the duration of this chapter. I've noticed this is a trend with the characters now: Greg was smug personified in the last chapter. Wouldn't it be smarter to wait until they found Bort and then pull that trick?

Careful Bortha, you're dangerously close to flashing those... things. This anatomy is horrible. There's a fake dinosaur with a long neck lacking the structure and musculature to support it (look at a giraffe for gently caress's sake), there's a bunch of pygmies in fursuits wandering around, and the cloud inexplicably has meaty innards. WILD EDGE! But seriously, this is Mookie's idea of crazy chaos beasts?

I know Mookie is writing for Mookie, but I can't comprehend how he thought other people would enjoy this hot garbage. We have Captain Planet villains (including one who moonlights as a ventriloquist) poaching animals in a story that would bore a 5-year-old.

Not to mention, using a blow dart on something of that size is highly dubious. Logic? Not in WILD EDGE!

look at that loving face. look at it.

lol that guy's dead as poo poo! It's okay, he deserved it for being a poacher.

The tosser's (heh) physique is so bad. Large terrestrial mammals have thick, trunk-like legs to hold up their mass, and they sure as hell don't run like... whatever the gently caress that is.

Jaxon is now the de facto boss of the group so Blonde McPoacher can do a face turn. And slimes with posh British accents! Tee hee!

Next time: a;lfjk;oeijhawe;fhweeaiwj;oaewjfioaw

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
whoa, new blog post!

How The World Changed The Legacy posted:

Back when I began The Legacy of Dominic Deegan, Snout’s adventures were much more physical in nature. There was a lot of physical humor and slapstick mishaps. There was action and silliness as he avoided amorphous blobs of eyes and teeth and took on the world’s angriest tree. Originally, the entire series of The Legacy was going to be like that, as Snout traveled the world looking for clues about Dominic’s journey to Asinotaph. But that all changed over these past four years, and while the natural development of characters is one reason for the change, there was another very significant one.

The onset of the Covid-19 pandemic drastically changed The Legacy because it drastically changed me.

It didn’t take long for my mood and my spirits to absolutely plummet as everything was canceled and I was isolated from my friends and extended family. On top of quarantining, I was responsible for not only entertaining my five year old son but also helping with his remote education. I was exhausted, I was lonely, and I was all but cut off from any new experiences that would inspire new material in comics. I was not in the mood to create lighthearted slapstick adventures.

I did, however, find great comfort in making the dreamscapes and otherworldly panoramas that have become so commonplace in the later pages of The Legacy. Experimenting with digital brushes to make landscapes that were far out of my comfort zone provided not only an opportunity for artistic growth, but I found the process relaxing, even when I tried things that didn’t work. What Snout was going to learn about through research he came to learn through firsthand experience. While that may have made for slower paced, less straightforward storytelling it also made me happy in a way that I was sorely needing.

So I leaned into the dream aspect of The Legacy and in doing so changed the direction of Snout’s adventures. If I hadn’t, I don’t know if I would’ve had the motivation to keep making comics during the pandemic.

Whoever said that suffering artists make great art was full of poo poo.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

what panoramas

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

what panoramas

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

that is literally not a panorama

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, it's particularly funny because early in Legacy Mookie did tend to use "weird" landscapes as filler, but the "dreamland" or whatever is consistently presented as blandly static images of the Dork Tower or pube gates or whatever.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Considering how Mongrelfolk are from D&D I think them little furbos are probably supposed to be, like, Kobolds as 2e portrayed them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SubG posted:

Yeah, it's particularly funny because early in Legacy Mookie did tend to use "weird" landscapes as filler, but the "dreamland" or whatever is consistently presented as blandly static images of the Dork Tower or pube gates or whatever.
Comedy option: Asinotaph is literally "the realm beyond dreams". That is, it's the "real world", a blasted hellscape left by the fall of magic, and Snout and company are all living in the Matrix or whatever, like that one mission in Fallout 3

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I really dont think this is the end of mookie writing comics, and probably not even the end of legacy, but even if it was i would very much like if the OG recap kept going

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Invisible Clergy posted:

In terms of like the typical map of the kingdoms in a fantasy novel's opening, I do not remember this existing either. Mookie definitely does not know basic details like the relative size of the countries, their positions to one another, natural borders, etc because he is not interested in it.

Trapezium Dave posted:

The back of the map doesn't count! :argh:

I meant usually when someone world builds a fantasy world they quickly map out how it all fits together so they know stuff like how long a cart ride from Barthis to Downtown Erossus would take. I don't think Mookie has ever done that.

edit: And if he is showing the back of maps, I'd say he deliberately made the decision to never do that.

During the vacation arc of the original Dominic Deegan, when DD was wandering from country to country, Mookie was asked on his forums if there was a map of the world or the area and he specifically said that he never wanted to draw a map of the area because it would be restrictive of his creativity - once he had defined the countries and the boundaries, he couldn't add in new things or change things.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

rudecyrus posted:

CHAPTER 29: WALK THE WILD EDGE

Not sure if I should keep going with this since the comic's (kind of) ending, but gently caress it, full speed ahead.

Please do. They are great and I appreciate the trip down memory lane. DD is a treasure.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
In the same way the coprolite is a treasure

Which is to say, yes, I would like the recaps to continue

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

DamnitGannet posted:

I really dont think this is the end of mookie writing comics, and probably not even the end of legacy, but even if it was i would very much like if the OG recap kept going

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Please do. They are great and I appreciate the trip down memory lane. DD is a treasure.

Maple Leaf posted:

In the same way the coprolite is a treasure

Which is to say, yes, I would like the recaps to continue

cool! I'll keep at it then

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm enjoying the recaps as well! I missed out on a lot of the back-half of the original comics when I just stopped reading webcomics all together. It's why I'm enjoying the Penny Arcade recap over in the BYOB Webcomic thread

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's rare when one mongrelman sees another except to gently caress ALL THE TIME

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Mookie, you can't blame pandemic lock-downs for poo poo you're still doing four years later. It didn't last that long. Also, you made blog posts claiming it was all deliberate.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I forgot how many other poachers there were to get murdered in Wild Edge and how all of them got names except the women.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

... Did that blog post just admit he knows Legacy is awful?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sometimes even the most inpenetrable shield is compromised.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm enjoying the recaps as well! I missed out on a lot of the back-half of the original comics when I just stopped reading webcomics all together. It's why I'm enjoying the Penny Arcade recap over in the BYOB Webcomic thread

If I remember correctly this part has my favorite single panel in DD, it is the worst looking stab ever. You are in for a treat as it goes even more downhill rapidly.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i reread legacy and it's insane how much better it was in the early chapters. it wasn't like great but it was miles better

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, he did spend 5 paragraphs talking about how his suffering during the pandemic influenced his art and then said "Whoever said that suffering artists make great art was full of poo poo."

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
To be fair, much more powerful artists than him kinda just sorta succumbed to the weight of covid. Gunnerkrigg Court has gotten weird and unsatisfying, Beastars went on a wild hard-turn towards a sudden ending and a joker-pilled villain at the expense of basically its entire plot, Houseki no Kuni updated like 3 times in the past 3 years,

so like i'd give my sympathies but still skimming original deegan i don't think there was ever THAT much potential here

but like yeah the opening to legacy was still way way stronger than the roaming incoherent stream of consciousness it became

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

DamnitGannet posted:

Yeah same goes for me. I'm greatly enjoying the recap and in the unlikely event Mookie makes good on his threat to end "Legacy," I'd love to keep reading the recap. It's fun to be able to discuss it in real time since the old threads were before my time on the forums.

Mors Rattus posted:

what panoramas

The "no man's sky" loading screens he did for a while.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Yeah, I'm loving the recaps, please by all means keep 'em going.

That said, we're in the home stretch, aren't we? I know we've still got Wild Edge, Desert To blahdeblah To Die, Er... Some other Facebath poo poo? King Dave? The Beast being a comical load of unscary poo poo?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There was a War in Hell arc, I think. And theBeast stuff drags out forever, I'm pretty sure.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I might be more inclined to believe him if he hadn't written blog posts about how much he was enjoying drawing landscapes and how important it was to show the characters doing nothing. As it is, I think he knows he's wasted years on a bad, boring, non-story of a comic and he's trying to find a way to avoid blaming himself.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

so like i'd give my sympathies but still skimming original deegan i don't think there was ever THAT much potential here

but like yeah the opening to legacy was still way way stronger than the roaming incoherent stream of consciousness it became
The problem was at some point he was always going to lose excitement for the slapstick adventures of Snout, something he should have foreseen before he locked himself in to doing several years of it.

MuddyFunster posted:

That said, we're in the home stretch, aren't we? I know we've still got Wild Edge, Desert To blahdeblah To Die, Er... Some other Facebath poo poo? King Dave? The Beast being a comical load of unscary poo poo?
While it feels like that there are just under three years of comic left to go, maybe two and a half Maltaks.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
There's also the return of token gay character as part of the lead up to the beast, if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Breadmaster posted:

There's also the return of token gay character as part of the lead up to the beast, if I recall correctly.

Forgot what thread I was in and thought this was about Gaston's buddy