Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
new Crabgrass looks like he saw early Penny Arcade and thought "I can do that."

maybe it'll grow on me. the weird juts and facial expressions don't work right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Olive & Popeye finally caught up with us.

As for Thimble Theater, I just couldn't wait any longer. (January 1, 1940)

Our Boarding House (January 24-26, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (March 28-30, 1921)

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: Bert Eggers is too big to get inside the car and sit in the middle so when Bert is the only passenger, the Skipper has to run the car in a rather unusual manner.

THEY FINALLY HAD TO SHOUT UP THROUGH THE SMOKE PIPE FOR HELP: And now everyone in the neighborhood knows about the secret cave.

Dok's Dippy Slushball (October 5, 1914)

A little technical glitch has thwarted Little Lefty for tonight (as opposed to my busted work ethic).

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Subtle. I approve.

re: Crabgrass's new art style - it's almost *over* expressive, in a way? I do like that Miles's bigger 'fro.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-Chan

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What are they doing in the left-hand strip?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Murdstone posted:

To join the bandwagon again: a literal evil twin story. I love Scarlett O'Neill.

Technically not a twin! Doppleganger, totally different

We had that with an army man's evil twin doing an elaborate bomb plot iirc a while back instead :v:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Powered Descent posted:

What are they doing in the left-hand strip?

I believe it's a trick kids used to get dragonflies to land on your hand by spinning your finger in front of them. This makes them dizzy so they would land on your hand when it does.

Or so I think.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hijinks Ensue, Go Get Married Rudy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

... But you also have to write out the amount in words.

So, um?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 29, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mister Beeg posted:

So... without further ado...I'll post few at a time (each page contains 2 strips)

I didn't immediately realize that the strips were intended to be read from top to bottom and kept reading the first one from left to right, then "realized" it was a Japanese strip and tried reading it from right to left, and it still didn't make a lot of sense.

But yeah, this is cool!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hostile V posted:

Excellent :buddy: face on Turvy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So, after reviewing F&GM, I realized I was being a bit too quick off the mark - it's not a comic that got published in a periodical like other comics here, so negative on my part. Sorry.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(January 21, 1917)

10 cents in 1917 is $2.55 today.

Little Nemo(June 17, 1906)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Samovar posted:

So, after reviewing F&GM, I realized I was being a bit too quick off the mark - it's not a comic that got published in a periodical like other comics here, so negative on my part. Sorry.

If it's interesting :justpost: , we're already hosting about 3 webcomics! You've always brought joy to the thread so I'm eager to see it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Sundae posted:

Crabgrass

Holy poo poo

Also were those strips really from five years ago? Oh god time is moving faster and faster and faster :corsair:

Also for my part I like the new art just fine.

Mister Beeg posted:

Thought of something interesting to post here.

I wanted to post a 4-panel comic from Japan, because it's an overlooked part of manga culture even though it's very popular in the country. But while looking around I found that somebody did a translation of "The Diary of Ma-chan".

"Ma-chan" ran in 1946 in Shokokumin Shinbun, a newspaper published by Mainichi Newspaper that was distributed to elementary school kids across Japan. The comic featured antics of a pre-school kid and his life.

The comic was short-lived, only running from January to March of 1946 for a total of 73 strips, but it's important historically: it was the professional debut of Osamu Tezuka, who would become a VERY important figure in Japanese comics. He was only 17 years old when it first appeared and, compared to his later works, are crude, but I figure the thread would appreciate checking it out

So... without further ado...I'll post few at a time (each page contains 2 strips)

Oh awesome, what a neat bit of history. Thanks for posting these! :atom:

Gawain at least would insist that his virginity is long gone

Julet Esqu posted:

Where's that horse that can't eat because some jerks left a bit on him? :ohdear:

I didn't want to reply sooner, but don't worry!

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 21, 1957)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doomykins posted:

If it's interesting :justpost: , we're already hosting about 3 webcomics! You've always brought joy to the thread so I'm eager to see it.

That's kind of you to say, but it was as someone stated earlier, a DC story, despite me thinking it was something else. I was also pondering about posting Buddy Longway... but, while it is another Western with a sympathetic approach to the indigenous people of America, it looks even less accurate than Blueberry was so it just... Kinda gave me bad vibes.

If I was going to post something else, I'd want it to be of quality that I feel the thread deserves.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/1/03

Brenda Starr 2/4/51

Smokey Stover 1/2/55

Everyday Movies 6/20/36

"Say, Mom, will you get me three bucks from Dad? I know a present I can get him for Father's Day for two dollars."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/3/41

I'm not sure this is a case that really requires invisible intervention; aren't sports teams used to dealing with rookies who think they're hot poo poo?

Bonus Comic! Hot enough for ya?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

There have been various campaigns here to give teenagers easy/free access to contraceptives to encourage normalizing them & sex education. In Finnish politics, anti-sex ed/anti-contraceptive stances aren't very popular so even the more conservative parties haven't really gone for those for some time now (afaik, I live in the capital city so I might be massively biased).

ANSU

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Have we seen Overboard alligators green spikey dogs crocodiles before? Because there is no joy like new Overboard animal joy.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
All this talk about Penny Arcade made me curious what was going on over there and now I have deep regrets.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh my God, Wallace is so GOOD

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Hostile V posted:

For a hot minute I really thought that the "social" in question was the breakfast they're eating.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Samovar posted:

Oh my God, Wallace is so GOOD

It's far and away the best strip running in papers today. A worthy spiritual successor to Calvin and Hobbes and Cul de Sac.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

I see Coach took inspiration from Bill Clinton's running shorts.

Slylock Fox

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (June 27, 1935)

Peanuts (June 4, 1976)

Crankshaft almost says what we've been thinking.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 2, 1940 (still rolling my own solution))

Out Our Way (December 15-17, 1941)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
to chime in on the Crabgrass art style, it owns

reading all the comparisons to Penny Arcade in its prime is funny, since Tauhid was a pretty big artist on their forums and collabed with Andrew Hussie of Homestuck/MS Paint Adventures fame on more than a handful of things

it's hard to find but he had a webcomic called 'Spells & Whistles', and what this most recent style he's showcasing reminds me of is that work from back then, but much more refined and confident

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Mister Beeg posted:

That's "Snoopy's Reunion", which had a few on-screen adults present, most notably the guy who owned the puppy farm.

Some of the later "Peanuts" specials did feature on-screen adults, mostly in the "This is America, Charlie Brown" mini-series, plus few other specials, as well as movie "Bon Voyage Charlie Brown". This was rare, but it happened.

this is america, charlie brown was a a provocative and controversial collaboration between Sparky and Childish Gambino

non-edit:

Schwarzwald posted:

We just want Peanuts
Peanuts just for you

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "54 - Jucika Doesn't Get Wet"

"55 - Jucika's Co-Rental"

Or one bathroom for a set of many apartment bedrooms.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

I choose to just revel in the absurdity of an orphaned punchline for this one.

Cthulhu and Girl

Which is odd, because when she moved out at the beginning of the comic there was no suggestion whatsoever that it was because of trouble with her family, but eh. Whatever.

Bardiche Hotel

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

oh...ok...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/2-4/50

Archie 6/29/47

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Local Child Psyched To Die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I'm never really confident I'm reading these comics the way they were intended. To me, the joke is plainly on the parents for assuming their highschooler intern would have some genuine responsibility at the company as opposed to being the company's pet teenager for a few weeks. But what are the odds that later comics will keep to that?