Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Why would this of all things be the last straw

Because having Texas in the conference and not being able to play them every year would destroy the entire purpose of caring about college sports

Like I do want to win championships obviously but what good is this sport at all without rivalries. Other sports have titles. None of them have rivalries like college sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Counterpoint re: Texas, it would be really funny.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

9 game conference schedule became a thing when there were 10 team conferences. It was also really good for the 12 team conferences where you play everyone from the other division over 4 years.

It makes a whole lot less sense for 14 team or larger conferences because what's the point? You're never going to play everyone on a regular cadence in a 14 team conference anyway.

I still think that these days having pods, divisions, or a fixed number of rivals is dumb and bad in college football. Play your true rivals yearly and then let the rest of the conference schedule be randomized. Weighting it to play teams you haven't played recently would be even better. No one should have to have exactly 3 rivals, and rivalries should not be forced.

SEC is a perfect use case for this, having a mess of regional rivalries but also a mess that their scheduling has tried to force. But the new Big XII could also use this since most of the newer members don't really have natural rivals in place. BYU/Baylor, Houston/Former SWC, and that's about it. Even includes WVU to a point. WVU/TTU is the only natural rivalry that exists for them, and that's wholly because both schools claim John Denver as their own. OTOH, TTU has bad blood with TCU, Baylor, UH, OSU, and a bit of WVU.

Haven't been able to get this in front of the actual decision makers because those folks are eating their gold leaf burgers in their glass mansions on the hill over the lake and don't want to talk to lowly fans such as myself.

Obviously I want us to play OM every year. That one can't go anywhere. But man I'd still hate to lose our annual game against LSU (although they may feel differently lol), and our original "forced rivalry" with UK has actually gotten pretty fun in the last decade or so. The only thing that gives me the slightest pause about 9/3 is that we'll probably get stuck still getting annihilated by Bama every year.

And that's not even touching on the other SEC rivalries I love to see every year. The Iron Bowl stays without question, but that would drop Bama/Tenn and AU/UGA. No thanks.

I know it'll probably be worse for our record, but I'd much get beat in that 9th SEC game each year than watch us get pantsed by South Alabama or Maine instead.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Speaking of rivals, reminder LSU is still too scared to play Tulane despite owing them a game in NOLA.

Imagine rooting for a school too scared to play Tulane.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

I hope this forum has answered why non-SEC conferences think the SEC staying at 8 conference games is stupid. You've certainly answered why the other conferences should think the SEC is being pissy about it.

I don't mind at all if the SEC adopts a nine-game schedule, and in fact think it will. I assume the conference is currently playing hardball because the Big Ten just inked the biggest media rights deal college sports has seen by far, and the SEC wants to leverage itself for a payday like that, too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

dirty shrimp money posted:

I guess we can't make fun of Arizona State being a dummy school anymore.

I will never, ever, stop.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
There's nothing that says SEC teams have to schedule those cupcakes later on. Mizzou still schedules them real early in the season, for example

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Delaware @ Penn State is Peacock only, what the gently caress

Even worse, Washington-Michigan State week 3 is also on Peacock

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1664346509612294144?t=_eexyjtMAiq4r91J8HkO9g&s=19

Komet fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 2, 2023

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Komet posted:

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1664346509612294144?t=_eexyjtMAiq4r91J8HkO9g&s=19

It's happening with the NFL too.

It's real loving dumb

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Streaming era is going to ruin cfb. It isn’t nearly as easy or quick to switch between streamers as channels.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

IMO, Peacock is the worst service (well maybe it's actually Netflix ironically) and there's no way I'm paying to watch a single game. NBC has other channels they can put the game on if they don't want to put it on NBC network. Maybe I can find a sports bar, but I haven't really gone out to watch a game since 2012 probably

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Komet posted:

IMO, Peacock is the worst service (well maybe it's actually Netflix ironically) and there's no way I'm paying to watch a single game. NBC has other channels they can put the game on if they don't want to put it on NBC network. Maybe I can find a sports bar, but I haven't really gone out to watch a game since 2012 probably

:pirate:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have peacock for soccer so the specific peacock situation works out fine for me but it’s definitely a bad precedent.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Komet posted:

Yeah, that sounds like one that should only be on public access, shot on an 80s camcorder and right in between Gracie's Knitting Korner and a poorly laid out powerpoint of municipal announcements and events.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, that sounds like one that should only be on public access, shot on an 80s camcorder and right in between Gracie's Knitting Korner and a poorly laid out powerpoint of municipal announcements and events.

Fair enough, but I'd be livid if it was a game with any actual stakes

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
thankfully there are many sites that will stream all that poo poo for free. streaming services poo poo is loving terrible for sports

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Yeah I just steal all my TV these days. Though peacock exclusive means we might have to go back to the days of Oklahoma PPV foot streams

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Komet posted:

Y'all I hate it here.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

I believe that this is the first game that isn't on Normal Cable since the 2003 Temple game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wouldn't mind Peacock so much if I didn't have to uninstall and reinstall the app every time I want to use it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Someone needs to invent cable again, the excessive fragmentation of streaming services is the most user unfriendly poo poo ever.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RumbleFish posted:

Someone needs to invent cable again, the excessive fragmentation of streaming services is the most user unfriendly poo poo ever.

We definitely got Monkey Pawed complaining about cable.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

RumbleFish posted:

There are plenty of streaming services available where you can get all the regular channels. They could at least put these games on USA if they want to reserve NBC proper for daytime golf or tennis or whatever on a Saturday afternoon.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Mike_V posted:

There's nothing that says SEC teams have to schedule those cupcakes later on. Mizzou still schedules them real early in the season, for example

I think it's less about a cupcake sure win than it is about a buying an extra home game. Nobody has to play a cupcake, but buying a directional school for a game instead of scheduling someone with a pulse that will require a home&home is the difference between 6 and 7 home games a year. That 7th game is a business incentive that makes keeping an OOC home&home cost prohibitive vs a cupcake one throws 400K at. All the other reasons pale in comparison to this. Fans want so see good games so a 9th conference game seems logical to cut a cupcake. Athletic departments don't give a poo poo about us and prioritize $. Until they can make more for a marquee OOC game than TWO cupcakes this is how it will be.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Obviously I want us to play OM every year. That one can't go anywhere. But man I'd still hate to lose our annual game against LSU (although they may feel differently lol), and our original "forced rivalry" with UK has actually gotten pretty fun in the last decade or so. The only thing that gives me the slightest pause about 9/3 is that we'll probably get stuck still getting annihilated by Bama every year.

And that's not even touching on the other SEC rivalries I love to see every year. The Iron Bowl stays without question, but that would drop Bama/Tenn and AU/UGA. No thanks.

I know it'll probably be worse for our record, but I'd much get beat in that 9th SEC game each year than watch us get pantsed by South Alabama or Maine instead.

That's the nice thing about it: if there's a rivalry that's formed between MSU and UK, then by all means have that be an affixed game. You can even go so far as making them a "favored" opponent and have matchups with them weighted to occur more frequently but not exactly yearly.

The rivalry between Tech and OSU is only as old as the Big XII is and I'd list that as a keeper.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

That's the nice thing about it: if there's a rivalry that's formed between MSU and UK, then by all means have that be an affixed game. You can even go so far as making them a "favored" opponent and have matchups with them weighted to occur more frequently but not exactly yearly.

The rivalry between Tech and OSU is only as old as the Big XII is and I'd list that as a keeper.

It's cool that Tech fans (at least, dunno about 'Pokes) view it as a legit rivalry. Obviously it would've really started with the annual games during the Big 12 era, but it looks like Tech and OSU played a good amount even before the Big 12. 50 meetings in total.

There in the mid-aughts I really thought OU and Tech would become a thing, I know for several years the game that scared OU fans the most was an away game in Lubbock.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Judgy Fucker posted:

It's cool that Tech fans (at least, dunno about 'Pokes) view it as a legit rivalry. Obviously it would've really started with the annual games during the Big 12 era, but it looks like Tech and OSU played a good amount even before the Big 12. 50 meetings in total.

There in the mid-aughts I really thought OU and Tech would become a thing, I know for several years the game that scared OU fans the most was an away game in Lubbock.

Yeah, they played some during the big 8/SWC days and even before that when Tech was wondering around in the Border conference, but it really didn't start becoming a thing until the mid 'aughts, after I was out of school. There are a lot of "shared" traditions between the two and the origins of each are contested:

- guns up (ttu)
- orange/raider power (osu/big 8)
- masked/spirit rider (ttu)

I think it's mutual. Tech vs OU was definitely a thing for a few years there. All through Leach's time, he had a penchant for upsetting OU (or getting absolutely demolished in the most important game of TTU's history). Then there was Baker Mayfield and the Pat Mahomes vs Baker Mayfield game where the teams combined to over a mile of offense.

But I don't know that it's really ever risen to true rivalry. Like, I'm not sad to not play OU yearly anymore. Only team that I will feel the loss of in-conference is UT, similar to A&M.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

My grandmother was a Tech grad back in the late '30s or '40s, and I have kin in the Panhandle so I've always been a quiet Tech booster (unless Tech winning stands in the way of OU). Also, seeing as OU and Tech have played annually for well over a quarter century now it's definitely a game I'm sad to see go.

I was at the '08 game. Memories :unsmith:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I still can't believe the SEC is the conference with the lamest, most draconian field-rushing rules and not the Big 10

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This all goes back to some rear end in a top hat UGA student sucker punching Matt Walsh, right? (Not the creepy right-wing grifter, the mop-headed Florida small forward)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/SatDownSouth/status/1665019813729542144?s=20

let's GO

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I can finally watch some good Florida football

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Oh boy that sure is a thumbnail If I've ever seen one.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I hope the Les Miles fourth downs are covered.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Oh boy that sure is a thumbnail If I've ever seen one.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

I remember him pulling down a big reception against FSU, roided up and festooned in tattoos. Scary dude and no doubt his swiss cheese brain played a big role in his crimes.

Hell of a team, that one. Nowadays we'd be lucky to go 8-4 with future Supermax guys.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've always assumed this guy was 10 minutes into a story about his bro and a boat.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

I've always assumed this guy was 10 minutes into a story about his bro and a boat.

My favorite version of this meme that I've seen is him explaining Warhammer 40k to her.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

I can finally watch some good Florida football

My cousin is a Florida grad and completely and totally became a Gator after enrolling. It was family Christmas reunion time when Urbz announced his resignation for the health reasons. The cousin almost gave himself a heart attack on the couch.

A pretty amusing day, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My cousin is a Florida grad and completely and totally became a Gator after enrolling. It was family Christmas reunion time when Urbz announced his resignation for the health reasons. The cousin almost gave himself a heart attack on the couch.

A pretty amusing day, tbh.

Yeah it was pretty clear Meyer was looking for an off ramp at that point, even if he backed out. Then immediately left again.

Didn’t take long to gently caress up all that good will. Those teams were incredible though.