Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Gatts posted:

Any reviews for Spiderverse?

The review I have been giving my friends is I saw it last night, walked out of the theatre at 1030pm, and was tempted to catch the 11pm screening immediately... (I didn't because got work, screw you morning meetings)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Sure it might be very much a cliff hanger but seeing Spider-Ham & Noir with the crew at the very end had me legit cheering in the theater

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GateOfD posted:

i think the character conflicts were done really well
and also with B. Parker with how he's the older one so he should understand, but he knows he really should be helping Miles.

I think it was more that he felt empathy for Miles, and that he felt guilt for pushing Miles the way he was. But he wasn't going to let Miles destroy the multiverse to save one life, which is what the whole "hold the baby" thing was about. It was an attempt to get Miles to see the world beyond his own limited perspective; it was him helping Miles, and an attempt to deescalate the conflict.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

100% supporting the general POV of the thread: Plan to see this one more than once in the cinema. It is goddamn gorgeous. I'd watch a full movie focused on each of the newly introduced characters, no question.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

i kind of wanna go rewatch it again, but drive the extra 10 minutes to an imax theatre

and yes, i got conned into buying the Gwen Stacy head at the AMC theatre for $30

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

GateOfD posted:

i kind of wanna go rewatch it again, but drive the extra 10 minutes to an imax theatre

Just like me for real, regret not splurging immediately on the most excessive cinema screen experience on the first trip.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Just got back. So blown away. Amazing story and animation (and soundtrack). Props to everyone who worked on this movie.

I'm really interested to see where this all goes. I don't agree with the Spider-men, but if others have tried before, what makes Miles different (Beyond the fact he is an anomaly himself)? One part of me doesn't want to feel like the other Spider-men didn't overcome it because they didn't care enough, but I DEFINITELY don't want Miles to give up his father. I overall really love the fact this movie has taken a core value of Spider-Man (sacrifice) and has made it their biggest flaw in this adaptation. I trust in the team to stick the landing.

And now we wait...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Great movie. A bit abrupt, I am looking forward to how much they’re able to do with the second given what they’ve set up here. The first is a more satisfying movie as a cinema experience because it tells a complete story though, and I never got the same highs as What’s Up Danger moment even though visually this movie goes even further with incredible camera and movement.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Simulation883 posted:

Just got back. So blown away. Amazing story and animation (and soundtrack). Props to everyone who worked on this movie.

I'm really interested to see where this all goes. I don't agree with the Spider-men, but if others have tried before, what makes Miles different (Beyond the fact he is an anomaly himself)? One part of me doesn't want to feel like the other Spider-men didn't overcome it because they didn't care enough, but I DEFINITELY don't want Miles to give up his father. I overall really love the fact this movie has taken a core value of Spider-Man (sacrifice) and has made it their biggest flaw in this adaptation. I trust in the team to stick the landing.

And now we wait...

I'd say the big thing thematically is that Miles and Gwen want to take control of their lives, while the main example of Breaking Canon ruining things is Miguel running from his and trying to steal that of another version of him. The only other one has more to do with Spot and isn't treated as immediately cataclysmic and nothing bad happens in Gwen's world even though her dad quit a bit ago.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 2, 2023

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Great sequel. I need to see it again.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Holy poo poo.

The main three things I needed from this movie all happened and I'm just so delighted.

1. I remember reading about a push for the Gwen/Miles romance and I was initially pretty opposed, so this movie really did a lot of leg-work to achieve what I didn't know I needed going into it: making that relationship work. That entire first segment just about Gwen's life, how she operates as Spider-Woman, and how lonely it is just grabbed me instantly. It also sets up how much she needed a home like the Spider-Society and how her kinship with Miles would crash into her need for the Society. Not to mention how the narrative of how Spider stories are "supposed" to go directly threatens herself and her father in such a pointed way... its really great character work. Paired with the gorgeous water color visuals? Just a chef's kiss all around.

2. I needed to buy into the Spot. I've always thought the Spot is a really cool villain idea that's never been done justice. The way they leaned into his goofy history but still presented him as a terrifying threat needles the thread of what I wanted him to be.

3. Into the Spider-Verse is such a great movie about what Spider-Man means and why he's such an iconic character and why he means so much to people. Sequels always go bigger and more action-packed, so I was worried it would lose that narrative question that made ItSV so special.

So the fact that Across the Spider-Verse is still engaging with what Spider-Man means and asking new, interesting questions about that legacy was such a welcome surprise. If the first Spider-Man touches on how repeated tragedy makes a Spider-Man, AtSV goes so deep into why these stories have to stick to a structure or an existent lore. The "Canon Event" determined by an "algorithm" of how things have to go is just. So fascinating as a narrative concept to untangle. What does it mean for that story's universe if it doesn't have that tragedy? Is the whole Spider universe doomed to be worthless if it doesn't hit those beats? Miles' rejection of the Spider-narrative and trying to break the pattern that the "narrative" deems essential, and how someone like Miguel has been broken down by the idea that the narrative doesn't allow for happiness... The movie offers so many interesting questions and I don't know what the answer to those questions are yet. I love it. Beyond the Spider-Verse is a day one theater event for me.

Beyond all that, I really ended up adoring Hobie. I was really prepared to be bored with him as a "cool romantic rival" but the gradual stripping away of that gimmick to reveal Hobie might be the only person in that Spider-room Miles could count on during the climax? Playing the secret mentor the whole way until he's ready to leave the wreckage of this shop? Phenomenal. New favorite of the cast.

Goddamn Movies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've never before needed a film to be in 3D so much. Goddamn gorgeous and sprawling and ambitious.

Few thoughts: spoilers obviously
Miguel holding it together feels like the society *is* trying to prevent more cross dimensional poo poo, but also keeping everyone in line.

I'm left wondering exactly *why* Miguel was peering into other Dimensions in the first place, and, well, how his whole spiel about Canon Events is undermined by how Universe-?'s Miguel was shot. Wouldnt that violate the whole deal? or was that someone else's Canon Event that he then hosed up. lots and lots of questions.
really great design work with Miguel's suit and hulking figure.

Reframing Miles as an anomaly, blaming him for Peter A's death... heavy stuff.

SpiderMiles and Jefferson having a chat was loving great.

i'm hoping that ProwlerMiles' deal is that he's a grimdark hero because of the whole No Spiderguy and its a big fakeout-- but there's a Sinister 6 so how does that form without Spidey??

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Loved it. Now I want a "build your own Spidey" Spider Society game so bad.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
When I saw the movie and it was nearing the end I knew the end was coming, and knew it was going to be a two-part thing so I kept looking out for where it would be, but drat they went and put in so many moments that would've absolutely worked for me as a sudden ending (though probably not for everyone). They could've cut out right when Miles and Gwen are both kicked out. or when we first find out Miles isn't in his native universe or when Gwen shows up outside Peter B's place and Mayday pulls down her mask. There a few other ones that seemed like potential fits too, and as the movie kept going I kept thinking "wait, are they actually gonna settle this big thing, because it sure looks like Miles is on track to settle the big thing" so that was probably the one area where the movie did misdirect me a bit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Saw it, movie kicks all kinds of incredible rear end.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I don't understand how human beings even made this. I have never seen anything like it in my life — not even the first Spider-Verse. They've raised the bar astronomically high.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
What a loving joy of a movie man. This was just so loving fun and so good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i did not know it was gonna be a two-parter, so it definitely crashed into me and i was like 'goddamnit'

but man, if the next movie is just a straight up 2hr. 20 minute long climax, its gonna be a 12/10 for me.

also great parents as well, much love, and also overbearing (rightfully so, imo)
like Miles is all like 'i'm not a kid' err...your only 15? you are absolutely still just a kid

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 2, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I definitely relate with having a mom like that, as a Mexican (especially the whole they’re calling me by my first name thing LMFAO so true)

Loved their performances

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I definitely relate with having a mom like that, as a Mexican (especially the whole they’re calling me by my first name thing LMFAO so true)

Loved their performances

Even in the live action movies, I always reacted with a cringe when Peter would just call his aunt just May

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wow, this movie was somehow better than the first one...which was already my favorite superhero movie. I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a bit.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Why doesn’t Sony just get these writers to do the live action ones lol.
Give them the Morbius 2, Venom 3,and Kraven movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GateOfD posted:

Or, you know, stop writing dull movies about villains. Venom only works because of Hardy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GateOfD posted:

I actually really liked the Venom-verse cameo. Maybe moreso than showing Toby and Garfield and mentioning Holland.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

GateOfD posted:

I could totally see Sony pitching that to them….and they politely decline.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Really looking forward to the day when reviews of Lord and Miller movies stop including the line 'pleasantly surprised'.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It has been five years since I last consumed any live-action Star Wars. Solo was a mediocre work that was loving bad in it what it represented. IP incest. VC Andrews, Flowers in Outer Space.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It has been five years since I last consumed any live-action Star Wars. Solo was a mediocre work that was loving bad in it what it represented. IP incest. VC Andrews, Flowers in Outer Space.

Solo was a mess of a project partly because Lord and Miller were pulled off of it halfway through filming, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The final Solo we got was a creative dead end that drew from a checklist rather than any real inspiration. A character not worthy of a spinoff gets a whole movie explaining every deed to his name, including his name. There's also a Fleabag robot.

L&M's version would have been better, but I'm glad they're since on an IP that isn't so indebted to a single movie from 1977.

Spider-verse good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a review of the Hot Toys 1/6 Miles and Gwen figures, apparently this Miles figure was considered the best figure released last year. It's pretty crazy how advanced this stuff is compared to the crap I had when I was a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CmWuE0N7qU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a review of the Hot Toys 1/6 Miles and Gwen figures, apparently this Miles figure was considered the best figure released last year. It's pretty crazy how advanced this stuff is compared to the crap I had when I was a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CmWuE0N7qU

Dang that is awesome

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's pretty crazy how advanced this stuff is compared to the crap I had when I was a kid
I have a Batman 89 (peeved I didn't get the Batmobile when it was available) and yeah. The kind of poo poo you can do with these is amazing and the price is almost worth it. :shepspends:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Can confirm, that Miles figure is absolutely amazing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Way better animation than the first but drat this movie dragged a lot, it felt like someone was being paid by the minute at times. There was a LOT of absolutely nutrition free cliche parenting stuff, what seemed like hours of it.

Considering the length of the film I was surprised when it just abruptly ended what felt like about 30 mins from a pretty standard superhero movie climax
I actually thought it was a joke when it finished

Great animation like I say but i wouldn't recommend because I didn't like the meandering plot and the spider society with a billion spidermen made me realise I'm already bored of multiverse marvel stuff.

E
You should see the animation setpieces though, amazing stuff.

But my strong feeling on seeing To Be Continued was first "surely not lmao" then once reality set in i felt like they'd wasted ages of my time

E2 I liked miles tho, he gets more to do even if pretty much every time it's just that he uses his lightning hands. He's a real good spiderman imo

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 3, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
considering what's happening in the ASM comics right now, it's hard not to interpret this movie as a giant middle finger to the Marvel editorial board

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Great film, probably the best film I've seen in theatres this year. It does annoy me slightly that the most boundry pushing pieces of western animation is still chained to IP in order to get made, but if you're going to be doing IP it's much better to be pulling this kinda movie out than whatever the gently caress Marvel and DC are doing in Live Action.

Gwen and her relationship with her father and Miles was the standout, no offense to Miles, but a lot of his own familial relationship felt like a reflection of Gwen's rather than the intended inverse. Oscar Issac was bringing a surprising amount of Card Counter energy to the role, and isn't exactly unsympathetic as much as he is a huge rear end in a top hat who refuses to explain anything. Some of the SpiderSociety poo poo was a bit much, Ben Reilly didn't need his cringe worthy introduction, nor did we need the spider chase to last as long as it did. I would've changed it all out for one good extended fight with Miguel and Miles.

I wonder where they are going with the whole plot now, given Spot is so fixed on robbing Alchemax in particular it very likely might be that Spot and Mile is in some way the creation event for Miguel. And there was a surprisingly small amount of commentary on how similar Miguel and Miles are, being Spidermen who are both not Peter Parkers and not involved particularly in the Peter Parker orbit the way Gwen was.

I just hope that they can manage to step back from the ledge in the coming movies, No Way Home was a bad movie that became good purely off my love of Raimi Spiderman and the Amazing verse, and the animated films have managed to thread that fine needle well, we are approaching a mass of self reference and overly abundant allusion that will strangle the franchise, and I don't think anyone wants the Spiderman franchise to end up in it's death gasps like the MCU is.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think Gwen was the focus of this movie and Miles mirroring her makes sense. She does narrate the beginning and has the opening framing.

mutantIke posted:

considering what's happening in the ASM comics right now, it's hard not to interpret this movie as a giant middle finger to the Marvel editorial board

I mostly quit comics instead of reading specific writers. What's happening?

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 3, 2023

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I liked it, though not as much as the first which I saw in theaters like four times. Absolute visual feast, we old-school Marvel trash ate good, but also the movie was real dense with plot hooks and there was a lot of cruft that could have easily been cut out to make it a one-part experience. I'm gonna curious to see how they pad out the runtime for the next part considering they could have wrapped up this part nice and neat with another twenty, thirty minutes of movie, max.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I thought it was loving rich of Miguel to call Miles a mistake, while being all worried about Canon. Isn't he canonically a failed clone experiment?
No, you cannot pay me to re-read any of the clone poo poo.

Otherwise, this is a day one buy for me, so I can pause and take it all in at spots. Hot dang, that was a beautiful movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, Miguel is a geneticist from the future who was working for Alchemax to create Spider People. He tries to leave and they drug him to force him to stay, he solves this by trying to reset his DNA with a machine but accidentally uses his Spider template and becomes future spiderman