Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Jaxyon posted:

only good coen movies are hudsucker, raising arizona, lebowski and maybe millers crossing

ill show you the life of the mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

i say swears online posted:

were you the drinks manager for a frat or something

you didn't have a greek mythology phrase at like 12?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The worst Coen Brothers movie (Intolerable Cruelty) would be anybody else’s masterpiece.

Also the 70’s version of Musketeers remains the best of them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

you didn't have a greek mythology phrase at like 12?

no. what's your favorite scene

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the venn diagram of sounders fans and ted lasso fans is a perfect circle

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

No. The Ballad of Karen must continue into the stars.

literal cringe

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've seen no less than three Three Musketeers movies/tv movies in their entirety and I can't even tell you what country they're from let alone the time period, their allegiance, or why there's four of them sometimes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I've seen no less than three Three Musketeers movies/tv movies in their entirety and I can't even tell you what country they're from let alone the time period, their allegiance, or why there's four of them sometimes

you can't guess based on accent, or tim curry, or heaving bosoms??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
big titties definitely narrows it down when it comes to europe (aka not uk)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
a guy called king louie with his effeminate metrosexual gay son named d'artagnan

goon: i can't figure out what country this is

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
They rarely use muskets, they should have been called the Swordateers

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

Disney knows exactly what they're doing. the trillions dollar mega-corp doesn't give a poo poo about 'diversity' or w/e. they've run the numbers and found out the amount of money lost by chuds(lol) is in the single digit %, meanwhile the amount of liberals who then rave about it solely because they're reactionary-to-chuds(!!!!) and market it themselves for free is much more than that. it's been discussed in other threads but most modern "leftism" is just defined by being for whatever chuds(lol) are against and visa-versa.

it's an easy way to make a bad movie and still make $$$$$ on it

we've seen this poo poo play out again and again, like Eternals was having massive media-ops going on for free just saying "well its bombing because CHUDS(!!!!) hate women!" or whatever and then going out to see it three times for every time a chud(lol) doesn't see it.

in any case it's already pulled in like 200 million, by the time all is said and done it's going to be another billion dollar revenue movie. disney can just keep doing this poo poo forever, maybe throw in another astroturfed moral media panic about a tiny gay fairy or something in their next live action remake of Peter Pan that's made on a $1m budget.

The they should make a three hour sequel to the little mermaid where she has finger blaster guns, and a jaw warped by steroid.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

This is why writers are going to get shitted on. Even other writers in their profession can't help but undermine the goal of forcing rich people to pay up. Any other profession would be lock step.But writers have to constantly write stuff that creates contradictory arguments as if they are making a piece of narrative fiction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

this is why horror movies rule when they open with a cool murder scene

the first 10 minutes of Scream are burned into my memory

This is also why Batman and James Bond open straight into action that's not even necessarily related to the plot. It's a great way to tell action stories, it hooks the audience, it demonstrates who the character is and how they do things, and then lets you breathe for a bit with context right after the title.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

how about johgn wick but hes indian

how about John Wick but he's from Xinjiang

John Uig...hur

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

This is why writers are going to get shitted on. Even other writers in their profession can't help but undermine the goal of forcing rich people to pay up. Any other profession would be lock step.But writers have to constantly write stuff that creates contradictory arguments as if they are making a piece of narrative fiction.

they are embarrassed to be portrayed as asking for money. it reveals deep down they, or at least this guy, doesn't see themselves as being robbed, but instead like they are very publicly putting up a stink in order to get a hand out.

The messaging of striking workers is always tough and you'll see WGA members insist they are waiting for a fair deal, which is correct. The studios et al wanted to take what was theirs, and who could agree to that? only an idiot. So we will happily wait for them to get over their greedy aspirations, and then when they agree to pay us for our work, we will work.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Pro wrestling is pop culture, right?

An article about how pro wrestlers are destroying their own bodies and the US health care system is a nightmare.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mentioned this earlier but there's a Mickey Mouse 3 Musketeers movie my daughter made me watch and it is godawful

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Roman gladiators got better healthcare than US pro wrestlers, like for real

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
He's too hard on the rope. He wrenches on the rope. He thinks the rope is his.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

The they should make a three hour sequel to the little mermaid where she has finger blaster guns, and a jaw warped by steroid.

or Disney should just do a live remake of the animated second one for hubris

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

only good coen movies are hudsucker, raising arizona, lebowski and maybe millers crossing

:chloe:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Possibly even Love and Thunder is a better movie than Casablanca

Jaxyon posted:

No responses on the first bait so they had to try again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

I mentioned this earlier but there's a Mickey Mouse 3 Musketeers movie my daughter made me watch and it is godawful

who plays richelieu

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sonatinas posted:

or Disney should just do a live remake of the animated second one for hubris

lol pat carroll voiced ursula as well as the villain in that movie, whoever that is

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

who plays richelieu

Looking up who that is, the answer appears to be Pete

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

No responses on the first bait so they had to try again

hell get more bites out of virtue signaling on twitter imo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pete's evil plot in the Mickey Mouse 3 Musketeers is to kidnap Princess Minnie and replace her with one of his henchmen dressed up as her who proclaims loudly at the opera that Pete is the king now because that's how monarchy works

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

Looking up who that is, the answer appears to be Pete

that's fair

loquacius posted:

Pete's evil plot in the Mickey Mouse 3 Musketeers is to kidnap Princess Minnie and replace her with one of his henchmen dressed up as her who proclaims loudly at the opera that Pete is the king now because that's how monarchy works

but this is a little more suspect

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I watched the fabelmans on a plane and it was actually pretty good!

The record scratch and cameo at the end had me hooting and hollaring

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone watch the bbc Musketeers series? Is it good?

Their version of Rochefort doesn't have an eyepatch so no loving thank you

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The recent movie is alright though it has a very boring Richelieu. I hope they give him a bit more to do in the Milady sequel.

Anyway I'm more hyped for the Monte Cristo movie.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Montecristo is a Mexican streaming television miniseries based on Alexandre Dumas' 1844 novel The Count of Monte Cristo. The series stars William Levy in the title role. It premiered on Vix+ on 14 April 2023.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Looks like the ai is loving up again. A montecristo is a sandwich, not an 1844 novel by alexandre dumas

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Their version of Rochefort doesn't have an eyepatch so no loving thank you

Book Rochechort had a scar, the Lester movie iirc added the eyepatch and everyone agreed it ruled.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the Event Horizon guy made a Three Musketeers movie with Ray Stevenson as Porthos that I want to see. The Musketeer from the weekend before 9/11 has kung fu. there's a good ladder fight in it reminiscent of Once Upon a Time in China (I think they both have the same fight choreographer)

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The only musketeers adaptation I can possibly endorse is the Japanese cartoon about dogs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Roman gladiators got better healthcare than US pro wrestlers, like for real

Probably paid better and more reliably too.

Honestly, The Count of Monte Cristo imo is practically made to be a prestige TV series, considering it was originally published by chapter in newspapers at the time (like most novels from that era) it's got about the right structure with clear episode breaks, complete with cliffhangers and all, a sprawling cast of characters and occasional diversions into other characters' backstories. Easy enough to picture it being the Game of Thrones of its time.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

just finished the seventh episode of beef and kind of scratching my head why netflix did this as an all at once instead of a two parter

my guess is because the american branch of netflix has decided that the purpose of two part seasons is to milk ratings not give breathing room for binges which is really annoying in this case because "eight months later btw some ominous mysterious thing happened offscreen" is like the perfect hook for getting back into a show that you havent watched for a few weeks

like i might have actually finished watching it when it was new if id known it was only a six episode commitment and i could ruminate on that while waiting for the last four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Antonymous posted:

they are embarrassed to be portrayed as asking for money. it reveals deep down they, or at least this guy, doesn't see themselves as being robbed, but instead like they are very publicly putting up a stink in order to get a hand out.

The messaging of striking workers is always tough and you'll see WGA members insist they are waiting for a fair deal, which is correct. The studios et al wanted to take what was theirs, and who could agree to that? only an idiot. So we will happily wait for them to get over their greedy aspirations, and then when they agree to pay us for our work, we will work.

The message is, Rich people have too much power and are poo poo. And I want to live a good life and are forced to use money to do it. It's a common message for everybody, from people who work in fast food to over-worked doctors can relate to.

It shouldn't be hard, but it is because we live in a fantasy world created by writers who want rich people to have more money. We can't really scab screenwriters because they are already scabs. They don't just poo poo their bed and lie in it; they poo poo in everybody's bed.

The reasons unions exist is because a signification amount of the population wants rich people to have power, so a union has to be created for a precision strike against the rich. And the amount of money, and other stuff, are just details where the rich and unions are trying to figure out how much everybody else in the population will allow.

Those writers inability to get great paying jobs should go to show how bad they are at their craft.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Jun 2, 2023