Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Fallon ride is genuinely not awful. It's honestly a better execution of the "look, just make a great big IMAX with a curved screen and stadium seating and we'll show 'em a 4 minute movie" base system than the Despicable Me ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It should have been Conan's desk ride. gently caress Fallon.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Fallon is, believe it or not, one of the highest scoring rides for guest satisfaction surveys at UOR. It’s theme park enthusiasts that crap all over it.

It’s far from the worst ride there. The only really bad thing is Fallon himself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Universal is full of terrible screen rides. It’s a good quality one, and the queue is nice.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

Universal is full of terrible screen rides. It’s a good quality one, and the queue is nice.
Agreed on both. The queue is fantastic.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

CapnAndy posted:

Also if some smart guy could figure out how to scale up escape room style puzzles to theme park land size without it devolving into everyone standing in line to solve the puzzle which they know about and know the solution to because there's a line of people waiting and you can watch the guy ahead of you do it, a Zelda land would be the place to do that. Mysteries and puzzles and if you solve them all, you get to pull the Master Sword or something I don't know.

I need Koroks everywhere. Little hologram dudes hiding under benches, up in trees, riding snack carts, twee-hee!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

Mix Tron and Avatar Flight of Passage, rollercoaster through Hyrule where you're mounted on a horse that you can feel breathing and bucking
Aha, finally a use case for that S&S Steeplechase that they've been trying to get a single sale on for 6 years!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The annual pass "lounge" is embarrassing

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't get much time to enjoy it because it was completely empty.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Jungle Cruise but it's Wind Waker and the boat tells dad jokes the entire time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hazo posted:

Jungle Cruise but it's Wind Waker and the boat tells dad jokes the entire time.

Better.
I want a giant escape maze with the giant ceiling drop hands

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should make a doom land

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
This is the real Zelda attraction we need

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I don't know if this is something to be concerned about or just Newsweek being hysterical, but looks like Ronnie fished himself out a chudge to help him out against Disney.

https://www.newsweek.com/ron-desantis-disney-lawsuit-scores-victory-1804109

quote:

Judge Allen C. Winsor, who previously rejected a bid to block Ron DeSantis's Parental Rights in Education Act, will now preside over the lawsuit Disney has filed against the Florida governor in a potential boost for the Republican.

Winsor assumed the position after District Judge Mark E. Walker, who had been presiding over the case, disqualified himself after learning a relative owned 30 shares in Disney stock.

quote:

The appointment of a judge who has previously ruled in DeSantis's favor, and who has been described as a "conservative ideologue" by a civil rights group, is likely to be privately welcomed by the Florida governor.

quote:

In 2018, the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, an umbrella group for civil rights campaigners, opposed Winsor's confirmation to the U.S. district court for the Northern District of Florida.

In an open letter, the group said: "Mr. Winsor is a young, conservative ideologue who has attempted to restrict voting rights, LGBT equality, reproductive freedom, environmental protection, criminal defendants' rights, and gun safety. He does not possess the neutrality and fair-mindedness necessary to serve in a lifetime position as a federal judge."

I'm sure the judge whose cousin owns a couple thousand bucks of Disney stock recused himself because this would be crippling to his ability to be fair, and not at all because Desantis's thugs started threatening him behind the scenes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your country is a loving disaster.

That said this is a first amendment issue, so it’s going as high as possible eventually anyway.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 2, 2023

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know if a Trump judge is really what DeSantis is looking for, since a ruling against him would be enormously favorable to Trump.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Depends if the judge values "the cause" over personal loyalties.

Also this:

Aphrodite posted:

Your country is a loving disaster.

That said this is a first amendment issue, so it’s going as high as possible eventually anyway.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is Genie+/LL selections available during MNSSHP?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Jose Oquendo posted:

No. The wait times are already reduced.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

not during, but those first few hours you get in early before the party actually starts allows you to use it if purchased.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Rise being delayed/down twice since park open has me annoyed. I have no idea how far we are, by the flight suits cage inside?

Slinky is down too. Good start to the day being stuck in the Rise cave LOL.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Douchebag posted:

Rise being delayed/down twice since park open has me annoyed. I have no idea how far we are, by the flight suits cage inside?

Slinky is down too. Good start to the day being stuck in the Rise cave LOL.

You have like 2 rooms then the preshow after the flight suits.

There's a small bit of queue post preshow too but it's like 5 minutes max usually.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

You have like 2 rooms then the preshow after the flight suits.

There's a small bit of queue post preshow too but it's like 5 minutes max usually.

Waited another hour after I posted. Ride was worth it but what a blah opening to the day. All good. Disney still fun.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That reminds me, last time I was in the pilots’ room of the Rise queue I meant to look up what’s written on their flight vests

“PULL TO INFLATE” :3:

All the little aurebesh details in Galaxy’s Edge are so great. It must have been a blast to be on the imagineer team in charge of those

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've never cared about Disney ears but these are really cool.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Aphrodite posted:

I've never cared about Disney ears but these are really cool.

Lord I have a big enough head already, that hat would make me look like 2000 Kurt Angle.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

No. The wait times are already reduced.
Clarification: they're only inherently reduced because there's less people in the park now and because closing LLs lets the standby queue actually keep moving, what a shock. There are no active systems in place to reduce the wait times, which are still ultimately dependent on how many people are waiting in line.

Which is a long way of saying that if you've got the opportunity to ride Haunted Mansion before MNSSHP, do it. The queue times always jump up during the party, because everyone's slamming it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CapnAndy posted:

Clarification: they're only inherently reduced because there's less people in the park now and because closing LLs lets the standby queue actually keep moving, what a shock. There are no active systems in place to reduce the wait times, which are still ultimately dependent on how many people are waiting in line.

Which is a long way of saying that if you've got the opportunity to ride Haunted Mansion before MNSSHP, do it. The queue times always jump up during the party, because everyone's slamming it.

When I worked there people were INSISTANT that we changed stuff about the ride itself, which just isn't true. We changed NOTHING except the cast wearing makeup and the stuff they do outside, but that stuff doesn't require you to ride.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

When I worked there people were INSISTANT that we changed stuff about the ride itself, which just isn't true. We changed NOTHING except the cast wearing makeup and the stuff they do outside, but that stuff doesn't require you to ride.

I know things get changed up year to year but generally speaking what do I absolutely have to check out while I’m at the Halloween party?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know things get changed up year to year but generally speaking what do I absolutely have to check out while I’m at the Halloween party?
In order of how cool they are, from most to least: special parade, special fireworks, special castle show. Time it right and you can camp out right in front of the castle for the show and then just not move because as soon as that's done it's time for the parade, and as soon as that's done it's time for the fireworks.

Otherwise, there's a poo poo-ton of free candy and a bunch of unique stuff to buy, both food/drink and merch. The ride "overlays" are very underwhelming IMO. The carrousel and mad tea party get some unique shapes projected on them, Pirates of the Caribbean has cast members in costume stationed at a few places in the line and the ride who'll interact with you (they asked me to share my candy and I chided them for it because what kind of pirates share???), Space Mountain turns all the lights off and runs in the dark, which I did not find to be an improvement, personally, I think it's less scary if you can't see all the near misses with the track.

There's also a dance party out in Tomorrowland and a ton of rare characters, if meet-and-greets are your thing. And every ride that remains open (which is the vast majority of them) will generally have low wait times for the aforementioned reasons.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 7, 2023

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

There are also candy stations everywhere with cast members handing out fistfuls of goodies.

I think we decided we had more fun at the Halloween party than at Christmas.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hazo posted:

There are also candy stations everywhere with cast members handing out fistfuls of goodies.

I think we decided we had more fun at the Halloween party than at Christmas.
Yeah, I said poo poo-tons of free candy!

And strong agree that the Halloween party is better than the Christmas one, though I'll note that as I'm Jewish, I have no nostalgia or strong emotions for Christmas, and was left with an oddly anthropological experience of an entire park that was clearly assuming an entire lifetime of memory touchstones they could play on within me, and all of it just bouncing off. Why yes, that is a very big tree with lights on it, I've seen Christmas trees before. But I know apple cider, god drat it, and what I got was apple juice. Sub-par, lukewarm juice, at that.

The one advantage that Christmas does have is that when Elsa "freezes" the castle, that is gorgeous. But she does that every night, not just during the parties.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I said poo poo-tons of free candy!

And strong agree that the Halloween party is better than the Christmas one, though I'll note that as I'm Jewish, I have no nostalgia or strong emotions for Christmas, and was left with an oddly anthropological experience of an entire park that was clearly assuming an entire lifetime of memory touchstones they could play on within me, and all of it just bouncing off. Why yes, that is a very big tree with lights on it, I've seen Christmas trees before. But I know apple cider, god drat it, and what I got was apple juice. Sub-par, lukewarm juice, at that.

The one advantage that Christmas does have is that when Elsa "freezes" the castle, that is gorgeous. But she does that every night, not just during the parties.

Oh whoops, missed that, sorry! But it's a serious amount of candy. I think we still have some we haven't eaten.

The frozen castle owns too, I forgot about that. But the stage show and fireworks are better at Halloween.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

HHN

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

CapnAndy posted:

And the 'snow' on Main Street

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Did it! My plan is to check out the OG at UH next time I’m out there.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/oocparks/status/1666611684658540547?s=46&t=zT_I03vxpg3zsfxl4cf83A

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Well now she's stuck in time before the big bang!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Jose Oquendo posted:

Did it! My plan is to check out the OG at UH next time I’m out there.

Strangely enough HHN is a Florida original.

Back in 2015 we did a coast-to-coast HHN. I like USH, it was my universal studios growing up but I generally prefer the mazes in Florida. Hollywood mazes tend to be more tent-based instead of having all those soundstages.

That being said, the terror team was cool as hell. Starts out on the tram route and then you get hijacked by the purge people and forced off the tram. At least, that’s what it was that year. Jabbawockeez did the show and that was pretty cool too.

I also got to experience the Fast and Furious section of the tram tour before it opened in Orlando so I at least had incredibly low expectations when that came here.