Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Agitators

Also I would like to encourage our citizens to begin making small caches of ammunition and crafting materials in desk drawers, hidden crawlspaces etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

my dad posted:

Note that the way Triage works here is effectively sacrificing a quarter of the sick on an altar to the storm in exchange for most of everyone else magically jumping out of bed ready to work. It's not something you attend your medical problems with as much as it's something you end them with (for the moment) at a terrible price, with all the associated costs of a mass death event.

Not a vote either way, for the record.

Oh. Well that's stupid.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

quote:

They are designed unit six, due to a clerical error - they should have been unit five, but we already stamped their badges, so scout team six they will be.

I think your clerical error just provided the alibi for the missing/killed workers. "Oh those guys? They were all on scout team five."

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
No new law

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

No Law

I'd say agitators but I want to stomp down the Triage faction, we don't need that stuff, we can just employ more automatons to heal the sick

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

No Law. Triage is cruel and if the goal is more labor output it would be more sensible to get Agitators instead of killing off the sick.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

The Lone Badger posted:

Also I would like to encourage our citizens to begin making small caches of ammunition and crafting materials in desk drawers, hidden crawlspaces etc.

Steam-powered tape machines will be distributed to all citizens. When recording your audio log, please speak clearly and reference all personal thoughts, interpersonal drama and locker/safe combinations that may come to mind. Future adventurers appreciate your courtesy.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
No Law!

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

CzarChasm posted:

I think your clerical error just provided the alibi for the missing/killed workers. "Oh those guys? They were all on scout team five."
Oh dang, that's a good point. I'd completely forgotten about that.

Edit: yeah for the triage talk, in case it hasn't been made clear, using it will instantly heal half your patients, in exchange for euthanizing the sickest quarter. It's a desperation move, not a priority tagging tool like you might be thinking.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 1, 2023

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
You know what won't cause mass death? Duelling Law. It'll probably just be one or two, at most.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

NewMars posted:

Triage.

I think we need to attend to the medical problem before it is a real crisis.

Exactly my thought.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I don't think this came up before, but the real name of this game is Frostpunk, right?

I ask because for one, there appears to be approximately 0 punk anything. Every available option appears to be about order, and control, and that's about as far from punk as you can get.

Second, I could see it being a variation on Steampunk, but none of our technology appears to be powered by frost, whatever that would mean. It's all coal and steam cores powering our city and machines, right?

I could almost see it if it were a cold-adjacent, aesthetic kind of thing, but no one really looks like Mr. Freeze henchmen thematically, other than cold weather survival gear, and that's less a fashion statement and more a "wear this or die" thing.

So where does the name come from?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, it's meant to be a play on Steampunk, since it's going for Victorian-era sci-fi. But it's also very cold. You're thinking about the title more than its creators did.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Yep. Steampunk-type technology, the Great Frost weather conditions/calamity. Put the two together and you get Frostpunk.

It makes sense to me.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Strategic Sage posted:

Yep. Steampunk-type technology, the Great Frost weather conditions/calamity. Put the two together and you get Frostpunk.

It makes sense to me.
Yeah, I have a hard time thinking that the Steampunk term is that unknown in nerd circles.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I was going to say it would probably have made more sense to swap out the word "punk" than "steam", and communicate better what the game is about.
But, thinking about it, this game is Punk. It's just punk in a more intellectual way. A huge chunk of it is about the slide into authoritarianism and how easy that is under pressure.

Hell, from a punk perspective, the police vs church choice is a bit more balanced, morally speaking. Both are means to control the masses and introducing either of them into your society is a bad idea, as you'll lose perspective on where you stop comforting people and start oppressing them. The game deliberately does not tell you at what point you Cross The Line. It's on you to realise that you'll do that if you don't stop.
Sure, you can just dive whole-heartedly into being an evil overlord and enjoy doing so if you want, but you can be a fascist in Disco Elysium too, that doesn't mean it's what the game is about.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I was going to say it would probably have made more sense to swap out the word "punk" than "steam", and communicate better what the game is about.
But, thinking about it, this game is Punk. It's just punk in a more intellectual way. A huge chunk of it is about the slide into authoritarianism and how easy that is under pressure.

Hell, from a punk perspective, the police vs church choice is a bit more balanced, morally speaking. Both are means to control the masses and introducing either of them into your society is a bad idea, as you'll lose perspective on where you stop comforting people and start oppressing them. The game deliberately does not tell you at what point you Cross The Line. It's on you to realise that you'll do that if you don't stop.
Sure, you can just dive whole-heartedly into being an evil overlord and enjoy doing so if you want, but you can be a fascist in Disco Elysium too, that doesn't mean it's what the game is about.

How far are you willing to go, what choices are you going to make, what changes to society would you impose, can you do better so you never have to make those choices? I think punk is very appropriate.

Part of the punk too and we are far enough in to see it, is that the great powers much like the powerful today, held off on actually getting their poo poo together and trying to deal with the impending crisis (global freezing here global warming irl) until it was getting far too late

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

CzarChasm posted:

I don't think this came up before, but the real name of this game is Frostpunk, right?

I ask because for one, there appears to be approximately 0 punk anything. Every available option appears to be about order, and control, and that's about as far from punk as you can get.

Second, I could see it being a variation on Steampunk, but none of our technology appears to be powered by frost, whatever that would mean. It's all coal and steam cores powering our city and machines, right?

I could almost see it if it were a cold-adjacent, aesthetic kind of thing, but no one really looks like Mr. Freeze henchmen thematically, other than cold weather survival gear, and that's less a fashion statement and more a "wear this or die" thing.

So where does the name come from?

Consider, also, that the game is trying to get us to ask "is it really necessary to do these things? How do governments justify such measures to themselves?"

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

This section is one of the best arguments for Overcrowding. Like, due to the way sickness works in the game it's generally the best option regardless, but here where you suddenly get a huge number of sick people dropped on you in a very short period of time it really helps in terms of space and resources. Particularly given this playthrough went Order instead of Faith.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dueling Law More people means more conflict. And if something's comiong, our good captain can't be expected to manage every dispute

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Thirty
Even with the suddenly overwhelmed state of our medical facilities after the last refugee group, more of our people are content to stay with our current set of laws than not. Now that this crisis is dealt with, we can prepare for the next:

Sir, now we can clearly see what the refugees were running from. The Great Frost is coming.
We have to prepare. Our scientists say they can calculate the severity of the storm from observations. They just need a day or two to prepare their instruments and install them in the Beacon.

We can already see the storm approaching with our own eyes, but with more precise measurements we will be better prepared for it.

The number of critically ill is enough that I have another care home opened to house them while they rest. Assigned to the newly built second infirmary is an automaton installed with the latest updates to the Automaton Project medical technology.

The upgraded lenses for the Beacon are designed and installed immediately after.

Sir... The scientists couldn't believe their eyes, but they've double- and triple-checked their calculations. They say the strongest winds of the storm will cause the temperature to plummet beyond anything we've ever experienced before.
Hunting will be impossible. The plants in the Hothouses will freeze. Everyone left outside the city will perish, and so will we if we can't heat our homes properly. We have to prepare!

It's worse than we thought - this is no mere blizzard, but a Great Storm that will push us to our very limits. This is truly the existential threat that all of our efforts up to this point have been leading up to. Every life inside and outside this city depends on my leadership.

We will need to prepare thoroughly if we are to preserve what we by now believe to be the last city on Earth. If I fail here, it may well spell the end of the human race.

We've found the dying people Nansen's refugees told us about. They're sheltering in an ice crevasse.

These people are on their last legs. Despite taking shelter in an ice crevasse, many of them suffer from heavy frostbite and hypothermia. We can help them still if we act quickly and bring them to our city. They can't stand on their own. Some can hardly speak.

Several shacks stand at the foot of a small hill. We can see plenty of activity. People are moving between them constantly.

The first group of survivors has been located. The scouts discovered the location of Nansen's Camp Vulcan as well, but decided to prioritize rescuing this group.

The first of our survival-critical research has been completed - this is the most power we can possibly output from the Generator safely.

Sir, there's been an accident! An automaton has stepped on a man, crushing his leg and crippling him for life.
People argue that the automatons should walk more slowly and carefully, even at the cost of their efficiency.

In the midst of our preparations a distracted man stepped out in front of an automaton and lost a leg for it. We will be able to outfit him with a prosthetic as soon as he's recovered. The automata are too vital to slow down, even fractionally - people will just need to make way for them.

The other half of our critical technologies is finished. We will now be able to raise the heat of the Generator even higher, unsafely.

We did what we could to raise the heat output of the Generator.
This alone might not be enough - all our homes and workplaces should be as warm as possible. The cold that's coming could kill in minutes.

The Generator isn't the only defense we have against the cold, though it is the most critical. Every building in the city will be as insulated as possible as well.

A group of barely alive people hiding in several burrows dug into piles of snow.

All these people are deathly ill. It's a wonder that they're still alive, the snow burrows are only a little less freezing than the surrounding icy wasteland. They won't last a day if we don't take them right now to the city.

A number of tents and huts surround some steel framework. The camp seems to be abandoned.

The next group of survivors is found, and will be brought back to the city as quickly as possible. Camp Meteor was spotted nearby but appears to be abandoned - the scouts will check it out once they return, though, just in case. Meanwhile, the first group has arrived safely and are awaiting treatment - the team that rescued them has immediately set out again to find more.

The terrain drops suddenly here into a deep hollow. There are wounded people and dead bodies at its rocky bottom.

Those people must have fallen into this hole while escaping the incoming storm. At least half of them didn't survive the crash, but it seems we could rescue the wounded. That is if we strap them to our sleds and bring them to our city quickly.

A small camp built around a larger Arctic hut. It's inhabited - we saw movement during the day and lights at night.

Yet another group located and on their way to safety, and yet another one of Nansen's camps, Compass. We will of course come back for those people too.

Sir, a man is here to see you. He says that his daughter ran away after the news of the storm spread. He wants to borrow a scout sled and go after her.
"She's a big girl, but she was always very impulsive, and she scares easily," the father explains. "I must find her before she's lost for good. She's all I have left."

A distraught father is here, asking for supplies to go after his runaway daughter. We could stop him from going out to join her in almost certain death in Frostland, try to increase his chances of survival with food and supplies, or simply let this situation play out.

How will we respond to the father's request, and will we vote for a new law or continue without?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Equip him

No new laws

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Give the man what he needs. Equip him.

No new laws.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Equip the man, no new laws

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
€quip him with the finest sled and canned food!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Give him equipment and don't do any new laws.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Equip him

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Equip and no new Laws

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

habituallyred posted:

Equip and no new Laws

+1

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Since one of the 'oh gently caress' goals is to get enough rations to feed everyone, is now a good time to swap over to delicious delicious Soup(tm) if it's not already being used? It's been a while since I've touched this game, but I feel like I always swapped over to the soup when the storm approaches to make sure I hit that goal.

Also, equip the man, and to hell with it, enact some dueling laws. Our workforce is entirely automated by now, people might as well kill time (and each other) some way!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Equip and No New Laws

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

ousire posted:

Also, equip the man, and to hell with it, enact some dueling laws. Our workforce is entirely automated by now, people might as well kill time (and each other) some way!

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Ignore him, the most important thing right now is getting the propaganda outlets to insist there's no storm. It's just the moonshine, folks.

Dueling law would be fun. Maybe not for the losers. Well, maybe for them too. Besides, I want to see Johnny Crushed-Leg demand satisfaction from the robot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Equip him, Agitators

By the way, someone on the frostpunk subreddit posted a NO LAWS, EXTREME, NO DEATHS run, use of extreme shenanigans to make it through hope issues was done

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Equip Him, we're not monsters. And as funny as it would be to enact duelling laws so he can challenge his daughter to single combat, I'm finally going to switch to no new laws.

Better idea! It's going to get real cold out there, make sure you stay warm at the new Houses of Pleasure!

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 2, 2023

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Equip

No new laws

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Give him equipment because we're not completely heartless yet.

No new laws at this time.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Give him equipment because we're not completely heartless yet.
And we want to remain so.

Triage

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018
Equip him, and equip some kind people at the house of pleasures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Equip him!

No laws